George Pack loved his adopted home; Asheville loved him back

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

Comments on Topix forums : No doubt a lot of the city's newcomers and, indeed, many of the older residents of Asheville, after seeing so many things in the city named for him, may wonder just who was George W. ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Georgia61

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

Thank you for such an informative article on more history of Asheville and the beloved Mr. Pack. I, too am a transplant (from Atlanta) but call Asheville my home. I give a lot to this community in terms of volunteer time to help those citizens who are less fortunate than I. I love helping this community. I only wish I could give more. Mr. Pack is likely rolling over in his grave with the land he so generously donated about to be destroyed for the sake of capitalistic greed.

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

Georgia61 wrote:
Thank you for such an informative article on more history of Asheville and the beloved Mr. Pack. I, too am a transplant (from Atlanta) but call Asheville my home. I give a lot to this community in terms of volunteer time to help those citizens who are less fortunate than I. I love helping this community. I only wish I could give more. Mr. Pack is likely rolling over in his grave with the land he so generously donated about to be destroyed for the sake of capitalistic greed.
I would have used the word 'spinning in his grave', but your comment was right on.
us vet

Sherrills Ford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

Georgia61 wrote:
Thank you geogia61 for having a kind heart
to help the less fortunate in Asheville. A city that
has lost compassions for those who have struggle to live in a city that main income is from tourism. I
wonder what people like coleman has given back to the
city that has help him by approving all the projects
and buidings he, and his family has been allowed to complete in Asheville. Asheille has help him build a
status of being a wealthy man. He has showed his appreciations, by trying to take public land from the
citizens of Asheville, and disrespected one of the
true people who help Asheville become the best cities
in Norh Carolina, The Land Of The Sky, not the land of condos blocking the view of the sky.

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

Georgia61 wrote:
Mr. Pack is likely rolling over in his grave with the land he so generously donated about to be destroyed for the sake of capitalistic greed.
Greed is a universal human trait and not an attribute of capitalism.

Furthermore, the dubious sale to Black Dog Realty of public parkland (now in court) by the Buncombe County commissioners was for the sake of government greed and constitutes the corrupt abuse of government power and an egregious breech of the contract of a private property owner BY THE GOVERNMENT.
LongTime Resident

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

Are the current or recent residents who would be ranked among George W. Pack as benefactors to the city?
Granny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

I do not live in Buncombe County, but I've always thought the Vanderbilts were the most influential and important family. I'm glad to hear of Mr. Pack and family.
Flanative

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

Nice to see that a transplant was Asheville's biggest benefactor! Can we all give the Floridians a break now?
Transplants suck

Inman, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

Flanative wrote:
Nice to see that a transplant was Asheville's biggest benefactor! Can we all give the Floridians a break now?
Transplants are not the biggest benefactor no matter how the second class citizens want to think that. The native citizens are who made this place great before all the freaks, yankees and weirdos moved in destroying it little by little each day.
See my thumb

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

Transplants suck wrote:
<quoted text>
Transplants are not the biggest benefactor no matter how the second class citizens want to think that. The native citizens are who made this place great before all the freaks, yankees and weirdos moved in destroying it little by little each day.
By "native citizens," I assume you mean the Cherokee, right? Right?

{crickets chirping}
The original See my thumb

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

See my thumb wrote:
See my thumb. Its up my butt. I moved here and think I own the place. I have no heritage here so I will make it up as I go. I do more harm than good by moving here but since I am so full of myself I do not care. I come before the land and landscape I am helping to destroy by my very presence here. I am a arrogant azz who only cares about himself. See my thumb...its up my butt and now I will sniff it.
Can't handle the truth, huh?

You stay classy now, ya hear?
Carolina Girl

Inman, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

Flanative wrote:
I'd LOVE to give all the Floridiots a break...RIGHT BACK TO FLORIDA!!

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2008

Flanative wrote:
Where you here before 1950? Anything after that don't count until 2020...then it's 1951

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Zebulon Discussions

Search the Zebulon Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 7 min waco1909 54,857
Amy Shirley? (Jun '12) Jul 5 Chickenlips 45
Scootworks? Jun 17 Need To Know 1
bobby and big juicy from lizard lick are pill p... (Mar '13) Jun '14 Bryceton Bowen 7
lizard lick towning, (Oct '11) Apr '14 leo 28
Debate: Gay Marriage - Youngsville, NC (Jan '12) Mar '14 Cry me a river 7
New construction Mar '14 Joe S 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Zebulon Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••