Public defender pleads no contest to ...

Public defender pleads no contest to drug charge

There are 70 comments on the The Daily Advertiser story from Mar 9, 2012, titled Public defender pleads no contest to drug charge. In it, The Daily Advertiser reports that:

The East Baton Rouge Parish public defender arrested for attempting to enter the Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola with a small amount of marijuana in his jacket has pleaded no contest to a reduced charge.

The Advocate reports Nelvil Hollingsworth, 62, of Zachary, was booked Feb. 25 with introduction of contraband into a penal institution, a felony, but District Attorney Sam D'Aquilla reduced the charge to simple possession of marijuana, a misdemeanor.

"I apologize, and there are no excuses," Hollingsworth said after his court appearance.

Hollingsworth is the head of the homicide division of the East Baton Rouge Parish Public Defenders' Office and has worked on the teams that represented both of Baton Rouge's recent accused serial killers, Derrick Todd Lee and Jeffery Lee Guillory, and currently is representing Richard Matthews, a man accused of killing two women at Grady Crawford Construction Co. in 2009.

Greg Rome, Hollingsworth's attorney at Thursday's hearing, said Hollingsworth is "extremely embarrassed and extremely sorry and remorseful."

Jim Boren said Hollingsworth told the ODC he had purchased the marijuana but forgot that it was in his jacket pocket.

State District Judge William G. Carmichael deferred Hollingsworth's sentencing for a year on the conditions that he pay a $400 fine, pay $100 to the sheriff's narcotics fund, perform four days of public service, be evaluated for substance abuse and submit to random drug screens.

Hollingsworth is one of two lawyers representing Barry Edge, one of the five Angola inmates accused in the 1999 slaying of Capt. David C. Knapps during a botched escape attempt from the West Feliciana Parish prison.

Hollingsworth was scheduled to confer with Edge when an Angola security officer found 5.2 grams, or 0.18 of an ounce, of marijuana in the lining of his jacket, authorities said.

Jerome M. Winsberg, the judge presiding in the Angola 5 cases, decided Feb. 28 that Edge's first-degree murder trial will go forward in April as planned, with Hollingsworth remaining as the lead defense attorney.

After a hearing Wednesday, a 19th Judicial District assistant district attorney and a public defender said Hollingsworth also is scheduled to continue representing Matthews, 54, of Slaughter, who is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the killing of two construction company clerical workers in 2009.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Advertiser.

Get A Copy

Denham Springs, LA

#41 Mar 23, 2012
[QUOTE who="????"]Oh...and what paper locally placed mug shots of the offenders?
I get the democrat and they just had a article with their names in it....
I'm calling bullsh*t on that statement, half the kids names weren't even released.[/QUOTE]

It was a mugshot of the boys on the front of the Democrat. And it was not divided. And the Public Defender only paid $400.
SOB

Magee, MS

#42 Mar 23, 2012
Ha.... sad part is I have three degrees from three different schools. It is a good thing I'm cute I guess.
Sure

United States

#43 Mar 24, 2012
SOB wrote:
Ha.... sad part is I have three degrees from three different schools. It is a good thing I'm cute I guess.


"....sad part is" that you obviously are brilliant, too.

Three degrees....SURE. Don't even know the difference between "your" and "you're".
SOB

United States

#44 Mar 24, 2012
You know that just because a person make a typographical error...dose not mean they don't know the difference.

Same goes for knowing how to spell a word...just because you can spell it dose not mean you know what it means.

You people are too uptight around here.

Sure

United States

#45 Mar 24, 2012
SOB wrote:
You know that just because a person make a typographical error...dose not mean they don't know the difference.
Same goes for knowing how to spell a word...just because you can spell it dose not mean you know what it means.
You people are too uptight around here.


It sure dose.
Sigh

Philadelphia, MS

#46 Mar 25, 2012
The hell it does....do you really think that a fourth grader in a spelling b knows all the words he or she is spelling?
Why do you think they can ask for its origin , for it to be used in a sentence and it's definition ?
People can spell words that don't know by having the ability to sound a word out and spell it by what they hear...among other things.

People type the wrong word by accident, auto-spell pluging in something, and typing in haste without reading over there work.

People on here are so quick to point out spelling errors because they are to dim witted or lack the knowledge of the subject to argue a valid point...,I guess what I'm trying to say is pointing out a spelling error in an attempt to prove someone is a dummy and thus their argument is not valid is one of the surest signs that the person pointing out the error is a simpleton.
SOB1

United States

#47 Mar 25, 2012
Sigh wrote:
The hell it does....do you really think that a fourth grader in a spelling b knows all the words he or she is spelling?
Why do you think they can ask for its origin , for it to be used in a sentence and it's definition ?
People can spell words that don't know by having the ability to sound a word out and spell it by what they hear...among other things.

People type the wrong word by accident, auto-spell pluging in something, and typing in haste without reading over there work.

People on here are so quick to point out spelling errors because they are to dim witted or lack the knowledge of the subject to argue a valid point...,I guess what I'm trying to say is pointing out a spelling error in an attempt to prove someone is a dummy and thus their argument is not valid is one of the surest signs that the person pointing out the error is a simpleton.
Yes!!!!!!
They have spell check. I don't.
I'm on an Iphone. I bet they would not know it was misspelled with out it.
Douche nozzles. That's all they are.:)
SOB1

United States

#48 Mar 25, 2012
Pick em off on a typo.!!!!!
Who on here is a walking, talking Webster????? Not you google your words so ypu can check the spelling inbeed. Hugs and kisses for your fudged up wife boning my pool boy!!!!
Class act

United States

#49 Mar 26, 2012
SOB1 wrote:
Pick em off on a typo.!!!!!
Who on here is a walking, talking Webster????? Not you google your words so ypu can check the spelling inbeed. Hugs and kisses for your fudged up wife boning my pool boy!!!!


You may not be able to spell and that's O.K. with me. But you certainly have shown that you're a low class individual by your language.
Cherie

United States

#50 Mar 26, 2012
Class act wrote:
<quoted text>
You may not be able to spell and that's O.K. with me. But you certainly have shown that you're a low class individual by your language.


Low class? You must mean NO CLASS don't you?

Since: Feb 12

Denham Springs, LA

#51 Mar 26, 2012
I for one am sick and tired of reading all the post that are nothing more than name calling. It seems the only contributions some of you make on here is post calling others idiots.

Take a look at the childish behavior of the poster that goes by Sandy....a person voiced their opinion and she/he then made it a point to go to every thread they posted in to call him a "jerk" or "sicko."

Some of you are so childish you have to be either a kid in highs school or not ready for the Internet.

Just my two cents....no go pick apart my post for errors in an attempt to invalidate what I said. You know you want to.
Cherie

United States

#52 Mar 27, 2012
Bud Lee wrote:
I for one am sick and tired of reading all the post that are nothing more than name calling. It seems the only contributions some of you make on here is post calling others idiots.
Take a look at the childish behavior of the poster that goes by Sandy....a person voiced their opinion and she/he then made it a point to go to every thread they posted in to call him a "jerk" or "sicko."
Some of you are so childish you have to be either a kid in highs school or not ready for the Internet.
Just my two cents....no go pick apart my post for errors in an attempt to invalidate what I said. You know you want to.
Sorry, Bud, but I disagree with you as regards Sandy's posts. She was simply expressing her opinion of a poster she deemed a "jerk" and I wholeheartedly agree with her. His consistent and nonsensical ramblings are awfully irritating.

After all, you felt obligated to criticize Sandy, didn't you? Does she not have the same right regarding her views?
DITTO

Baton Rouge, LA

#53 Mar 27, 2012
All I want to say is, please proof read your comments before you submit. I know school is not what it used to be. So many people today don't know the difference between there and their and where punctuation should be entered.
And yes we should correct it, because it's getting worse all the time. Our language is going down the tubes and no-one cares.
Question

Saint Francisville, LA

#54 Mar 27, 2012
DITTO wrote:
All I want to say is, please proof read your comments before you submit. I know school is not what it used to be. So many people today don't know the difference between there and their and where punctuation should be entered.
And yes we should correct it, because it's getting worse all the time. Our language is going down the tubes and no-one cares.
Should there be a comma after is?

Since: Feb 12

United States

#55 Mar 27, 2012
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Should there be a comma after is?
I'm fairly certain that he/she should of placed quotations around "there" and "their."

Can we get a grammar check please?

Since: Feb 12

United States

#56 Mar 27, 2012
Also, it was improper to start your sentence with the word "and", see how easy it is to make mistakes Mr. Ditto?

In addition, I don't think the vast majority of people switch "there" and "their" around because they don't understand the difference, I believe it is simply a typo made in haste.

I must applaud y'all though. I purposely made mistakes in my previous post to see who would be an ass and comment about them. You all shocked me and kept quite.

Since: Feb 12

United States

#57 Mar 27, 2012
I'm sorry, but you were wrong placing the "-" between the words "no" and "one."

I believe the appropriate use would be simply "no one."

Perhaps the way they teach our language is exactly the way they use to.
Cherie

United States

#58 Mar 27, 2012
You, too, have earned the coverted title of "jerk."
Cherie

United States

#59 Mar 27, 2012
Bud Lee wrote:
I'm sorry, but you were wrong placing the "-" between the words "no" and "one."
I believe the appropriate use would be simply "no one."
Perhaps the way they teach our language is exactly the way they use to.


One should never end a sentence with a preposition. "To" is a preposition.

You have aptly earned the title, JERK.

Since: Feb 12

United States

#60 Mar 27, 2012
If I'm a jerk because I decided to cast a stone at one that three one first, so be it :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Zachary Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Orleans man admits to trafficking 15-year-o... May 22 Mitch Landrieus g... 2
Review: Ferguson's Tree Care LLC (Jul '13) Apr 30 Allyson 4
News 75 Zachary High students are now published authors Feb '17 T Williams 2
stop animal abuse Feb '17 out4aride55 1
Emmit Cazes is gay!? (Feb '15) Jan '17 Litigaligic 21
gp (Aug '16) Aug '16 Exclamation point 7
Baker La Utility down!!!! (Aug '16) Aug '16 Anonymous 2

Zachary Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Zachary Mortgages