ACS Mardi Gras Royal Ball fundraiser ...

ACS Mardi Gras Royal Ball fundraiser a huge success: $12,000 raised to help fight cancer

There are 1 comment on the Zachary Plainsman News story from Feb 22, 2012, titled ACS Mardi Gras Royal Ball fundraiser a huge success: $12,000 raised to help fight cancer. In it, Zachary Plainsman News reports that:

The American Cancer Society held its third Annual Mardi Gras Gala and Silent Auction on Saturday, Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Zachary Plainsman News.

Gail Perry

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1 Feb 22, 2012
I do not think Planned Parenthood's decision was racially motivated. What it was, was a decision that had race-based consequences. Thank goodness they reversed that decision and didn't let themselves be bullied.

However, KUDOS to Cooper. I really think we need Black women to be talking to Black women about breast cancer. I'm not black, but I am painfully aware of the liklihood that a Black woman will develop triple negative breast cancer, which ironically, sounds on the surface like a GOOD thing. It's not.

We have to talk about economic inequalities here also, something I am also painfully aware of. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer (triple positive in my case), I had no health insurance. My late husband had left me enough money for a comfortable retirement, but with breast cancer, nearly all of it has gone to that. I'm not complaining. I'm alive.

But what do women with fewer resources do? Even with health insurance, breast cancer throws many families into bankruptcy. What if you're already unemployed or under-employed?

I WANT to see Black women talking to Black women about breast cancer. They are going to know their commmunities, its resources and the options these women need to find full and complete help and emotional support.

There are a couple of things I would have liked to see in Cooper's article. I would have liked her to talk about lumps -- triple negative often presents itself as a lump. I would have liked her to talk about age. Both imflammatory breast cancer and triple-negative breast cancer often show up in younger women. Breast cancer is NOT just a disease of older women, and IMO women of color need to be particularly aware of that, find what hurdles there are (if any) to keep them from good, preventative health care, and catch this group of diseases early.

Thank you, Ms. Cooper, for what you're doing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Zachary Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Orleans man admits to trafficking 15-year-o... Jun '17 you hate the truth 5
Review: Ferguson's Tree Care LLC (Jul '13) Apr '17 Allyson 4
News 75 Zachary High students are now published authors (Feb '17) Feb '17 T Williams 2
stop animal abuse (Feb '17) Feb '17 out4aride55 1
Emmit Cazes is gay!? (Feb '15) Jan '17 Litigaligic 21
gp (Aug '16) Aug '16 Exclamation point 7
Baker La Utility down!!!! (Aug '16) Aug '16 Anonymous 2

Zachary Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Zachary Mortgages