Barbara Forrest: Repeal Louisiana's creationist law

May 21, 2011 Full story: The Shreveport Times 58

Zachary Kopplin, a Baton Rouge Magnet High School senior, is working to repeal the creationist 2008 Louisiana Science Education Act .

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Sep 07

La Quinta, CA

#1 May 22, 2011
Ehh screw it. Look, it's Louisiana. It's not like we're going to get any kids from there going on to college.

They are America's armpit.

We have limited resources with which to fight the Creationists. We should use them on people who matter.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#2 May 22, 2011
The bill it replaces is even scarier but rather clearly indicates what Sen Nevers is up to.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamd...

“Loving kindness is my religion”

Since: Jun 10

New Orleans, LA

#3 May 23, 2011
Nuggin wrote:
Ehh screw it. Look, it's Louisiana. It's not like we're going to get any kids from there going on to college.
We have limited resources with which to fight the Creationists. We should use them on people who matter.
Nuttin'... Not all people in Louisiana are idiots, just like all Californians are not arrogant idiots like you.

Calling everyone in Louisiana "America's armpit" is quite hateful. Many Louisiana students go on to college and have successful careers.

What are you, 12 years old?
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#4 May 23, 2011
Luzianner wrote:
<quoted text>Many Louisiana students go on to college and have successful careers.
What do they major in? Biology? Geology? Physics? Astronomy?

If the school boards in Louisiana (full of "fundamentalist christian" people who are neither educators nor scientists) keep trying to legislate "creationism" in and the Theory of Evolution out of the schools, you may not have many that graduate out of the colleges and universities with science degrees.

La Quinta, CA

#5 May 23, 2011
Luzianner wrote:
<quoted text>
Nuttin'... Not all people in Louisiana are idiots, just like all Californians are not arrogant idiots like you.
Calling everyone in Louisiana "America's armpit" is quite hateful. Many Louisiana students go on to college and have successful careers.
What are you, 12 years old?
Successful careers doing what? Cleaning up after other people in your state?

Come on, you know as well as I do that anyone in your state which is capable of getting an education MOVES AWAY as soon as they can.

And yes, we do have a lot of arrogant people in California. That's because we are LITERALLY better than you.

If your state was wiped clean and paved over, it would be a net gain for the US. In fact it would be a HUGE GAIN for the US.

I mean, what more evidence do we need than this stupid fight over Creationism. Still. Again. Always.

We are spending time and money to try and SAVE YOU from YOURSELF.

Why bother? It's not like we're going to get anything for the investment.

New Orleans, LA

#6 May 23, 2011
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, you know as well as I do that anyone in your state which is capable of getting an education MOVES AWAY as soon as they can.
And yes, we do have a lot of arrogant people in California. That's because we are LITERALLY better than you.
If your state was wiped clean and paved over, it would be a net gain for the US. In fact it would be a HUGE GAIN for the US.
I mean, what more evidence do we need than this stupid fight over Creationism. Still. Again. Always.
Okay, it is quite childish to argue who's better, Louisiana vs. California. I am completely against all of the ridiculous laws passed here ... this Creationism law, for instance. But you were very insulting by saying all Louisianians are ignorant. There are intelligent people here, unfortunately there are too many dumb asses in our Legislature. Not all of us move away after graduating from college. Some of us stay here to make this a better place.

Pave us over? Ha! You've obviously never been to New Orleans. What a pity. It's the most interesting place in our country.

Now, Los Angeles, THAT is an armpit! Yuck.

New Orleans, LA

#7 May 23, 2011
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
What do they major in? Biology? Geology? Physics? Astronomy?
If the school boards in Louisiana (full of "fundamentalist christian" people who are neither educators nor scientists) keep trying to legislate "creationism" in and the Theory of Evolution out of the schools, you may not have many that graduate out of the colleges and universities with science degrees.
Ah jeez. I was in no way defending this studid law nor do I like all the fundy Legislators thinking that they know more than real scientists.

But when you make a nasty, insulting blanket statement about all people in one state, it is very offensive. No matter how much of a dump you may think a place is, there are always a few good, intelligent people living there.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#8 May 23, 2011
Nuggin wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, Nuggin and not willing to concede to jerks like this:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...

My hat's off to Zack Kopplin.

New Orleans, LA

#9 May 23, 2011
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
"That's because we are LITERALLY better than you."

Didn't you mean to say "literately" better than you?

I guess this line
"We are spending time and money to try and SAVE YOU from YOURSELF. Why bother? It's not like we're going to get anything for the investment"

is a reference to Katrina and its aftermath? Last I checked, we are part the United States, too.

Listen, next time you have a big earthquake that destroys half of L.A. or San Francisco, don't go crying to the rest of the U.S. to help you.

Louisiana has lots of gas and oil, Einstein. New Orleans is also one of the biggest and most important ports in the country. You need to read up, Bubba.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#10 May 23, 2011
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, Nuggin and not willing to concede to jerks like this:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...
My hat's off to Zack Kopplin.
(Dude respectfully takes off hat)

La Quinta, CA

#11 May 23, 2011
Luzianner wrote:
is a reference to Katrina and its aftermath? Last I checked, we are part the United States, too.
Really? You think so?
It's the 150th ann of the Civil War. Why don't you walk around your state and see exactly how many celebrations are going on that honor the fact that the South was 100% wrong to rebel, lost the Civil war on both military and moral grounds.

One? No. Not even one.

You want to pretend you aren't part of the US. WE want to pretend you aren't part of the US. I say we come to an agreement. Take your swamps and your money pit of a city and get the F out.

We don't need you holding us back.
Listen, next time you have a big earthquake that destroys half of L.A. or San Francisco, don't go crying to the rest of the U.S. to help you.
California is the 5th largest economy in the world. The "rest of the US" DOESN'T HELP US.

We are the center of tech, aerospace and entertainment.

We carry most other states (and MOSTLY SOUTHERN STATES) on our back while you inbred swamp-billies sit back and call us names.

You are a welfare state. Until you start contributing, you don't get to bitch.
Louisiana has lots of gas and oil, Einstein.
Keep it. We've got our own.
New Orleans is also one of the biggest and most important ports in the country. You need to read up, Bubba.
Big? Maybe. Important? F No.

If we didn't have to supply the Welfare states in the South in the first place, we wouldn't NEED the port with which to do it.

New Orleans, LA

#12 May 23, 2011
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You think so?
It's the 150th ann of the Civil War. Why don't you walk around your state and see exactly how many celebrations are going on that honor the fact that the South was 100% wrong to rebel, lost the Civil war on both military and moral grounds.
One? No. Not even one.
You want to pretend you aren't part of the US. WE want to pretend you aren't part of the US. I say we come to an agreement. Take your swamps and your money pit of a city and get the F out.
We don't need you holding us back.
<quoted text>
California is the 5th largest economy in the world. The "rest of the US" DOESN'T HELP US.
We are the center of tech, aerospace and entertainment.
We carry most other states (and MOSTLY SOUTHERN STATES) on our back while you inbred swamp-billies sit back and call us names.
You are a welfare state. Until you start contributing, you don't get to bitch.
<quoted text>
Keep it. We've got our own.
<quoted text>
Big? Maybe. Important? F No.
If we didn't have to supply the Welfare states in the South in the first place, we wouldn't NEED the port with which to do it.
Really? You think so?
"It's the 150th ann of the Civil War. Why don't you walk around your state and see exactly how many celebrations are going on that honor the fact that the South was 100% wrong to rebel, lost the Civil war on both military and moral grounds.
One? No. Not even one."

I know of no Civil War celebrations.

"You want to pretend you aren't part of the US. WE want to pretend you aren't part of the US. I say we come to an agreement. Take your swamps and your money pit of a city and get the F out.
We don't need you holding us back."

Your liberally use the word "WE." I don't think most Californians are as kooky as you.(You may want to up your meds. You seem really angry today.)

"California is the 5th largest economy in the world. The "rest of the US" DOESN'T HELP US."

Yeah, California's economy is doing really well these days ... with all the teacher layoffs and your budget's in the toilet.

La Quinta, CA

#13 May 23, 2011
Luzianner wrote:
I know of no Civil War celebrations.
This took me 2 seconds to find. Literally.
http://www.visitusa.com/blog/category/louisia...

It's from last year, but you get the point.

If you get internet access, you can check out something called "google" where you can search for OTHER celebrations in your state.
Yeah, California's economy is doing really well these days ... with all the teacher layoffs and your budget's in the toilet.
I'll go slow because it's not your fault you didn't get an education.

The "budget" is the amount of money that the state of California takes in in taxes and spends on programs.

The "economy" is the amount of money that the state of California generates.

California's "economy" is NOT the same thing as it's "budget".

Two different things.

It's sort of like how I say, "Your mom is cute" or "your sister is cute" and I am talking about two different people.

Well, here I'm talking about two different people. There, it's the same person. So I guess we can see where your confusion is coming from.

New Orleans, LA

#14 May 23, 2011
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
This took me 2 seconds to find. Literally.
http://www.visitusa.com/blog/category/louisia...
It's from last year, but you get the point.
If you get internet access, you can check out something called "google" where you can search for OTHER celebrations in your state.
<quoted text>
I'll go slow because it's not your fault you didn't get an education.
The "budget" is the amount of money that the state of California takes in in taxes and spends on programs.
The "economy" is the amount of money that the state of California generates.
California's "economy" is NOT the same thing as it's "budget".
Two different things.
It's sort of like how I say, "Your mom is cute" or "your sister is cute" and I am talking about two different people.
Well, here I'm talking about two different people. There, it's the same person. So I guess we can see where your confusion is coming from.
LOL ... a Civil War re-enactment is not glorifying the Civil War or saying that the South was right and should have won. They do these same types of re-enactments in the North. Ever been to Lexington or Concord, Mass.?

Oh, and you can try "google" to find those festivals and re-enactments.

Winnetka, California? Ech! All that smog and ugly architecture!

La Quinta, CA

#15 May 23, 2011
Luzianner wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... a Civil War re-enactment is not glorifying the Civil War or saying that the South was right and should have won. They do these same types of re-enactments in the North. Ever been to Lexington or Concord, Mass.?
Yes, I've been to Lexington Concord re-enactments MANY times. I grew up there. Guess what. We were ABSOLUTELY SAYING that the Colonists were RIGHT.

Do you HONESTLY believe that the people portraying the South in re-enactments in your area believe that the South was wrong?

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised is most of them wanted slavery back.
I'm not actually in Winnetka, but for some reason topix has always thought I was. Don't know why.
The Dude

UK

#16 May 23, 2011
Milton Keynes rocks!!!

“Time flies like an arrow...”

Since: Mar 07

"fruit flies like a banana"

#17 May 23, 2011
Luzianner wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and you can try "google" to find those festivals and re-enactments.
Please don't feed the trolls. The more you resond, the longer they stay.

New Orleans, LA

#18 May 23, 2011
pragmatist wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. I just got back on Topix after being away for about 10 months. Didn't realize he was a troll until after a few postings.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

#19 May 23, 2011
Luzianner wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. I just got back on Topix after being away for about 10 months. Didn't realize he was a troll until after a few postings.
Actually, Nuggin is not a troll. You guys just got off to a bad start. It happens.

Here, everyone have a cookie.

La Quinta, CA

#20 May 23, 2011
pragmatist wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for jumping in on the middle of a conversation in which you are not involved. Excellent point you made about creationism and LA's relative value as a state.

Oh, wait, that's right. You didn't make a point.

You just rode in and decided to fling mud.

Sounds like the one and only troll here has been identified.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Zachary Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
a Food Pantry Ladya named Zachary Citizen of th... Oct 15 Church Point RESI... 1
Do you approve of Bill Cassidy as Representative? (Jan '12) Oct 3 curios 6
$1M bond set for man arrested for indecent beha... Sep '14 HardyParkerson 1
Pastor hiding alternative lifestyle? Sep '14 Concerned 2
Plainsman Editor hired by the Advocate for new ... Aug '14 KNOW hER 2
The Advocate acquires 4 weekly newspapers Aug '14 SHOCKED 1
St. Francisville teacher named Louisianaa s tea... Jul '14 countrylad 8
Zachary Dating
Find my Match

Zachary Jobs

Zachary People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Zachary News, Events & Info