Three Republicans, two Democrats seek...

Three Republicans, two Democrats seek House District 62 seat

There are 50 comments on the The Advocate story from Oct 8, 2011, titled Three Republicans, two Democrats seek House District 62 seat. In it, The Advocate reports that:

Three Republicans and two Democrats are vying to replace term-limited state Rep.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Advocate.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Voter

Saint Francisville, LA

#1 Oct 8, 2011

“Time flies like an arrow...”

Since: Mar 07

"fruit flies like a banana"

#2 Oct 11, 2011
But as the most politically experienced candidate, Dawson said, he has the strongest alliances and leadership ability to help the district thrive economically and educationally.

Dawson, who describes himself as a conservative Democrat from St. Francisville, said he will develop an overall regional plan to protect jobs, bring in more “hi-tech, clean energy” industry, improve technical college offerings and more by linking everything together.

“I’m a candidate who’s interested in moving forward,” Dawson said.“The only issues you’ll have with me is if you’re standing still … If I create some political enemies, then so be it.”

Jett may be the oldest candidate at 64, but he also has the most eclectic background, having served as a mayor, a business owner, a former paper mill worker and a retired deputy warden of the Louisiana State Penitentiary in Angola.

“It’s my civic duty to get in this race, and I think I have the experience to help the people,” Jett said.

“I’m a businessman with common sense … I’m an old fella with a lot of experience,” he said.

“You get people educated and then the jobs will be there,” Jett said.“Make the community more business friendly. Cut out the red tape and all the stuff they have to go through.”

Arnold said job growth can be boosted by creating a more inviting district through improving roads and sewerage services.

Arnold said he will push for eliminating government waste and reforming state welfare programs, including drug testing for welfare recipients.

After axing slush funds, pet projects and discretionary spending, Arnold also wants to phase out the state income tax. Farmer agreed on the income tax issue with a “well-reasoned, staggered approach.”

Havard said the state government must cut its spending by eliminating duplication and limiting state contracts.

Then, Havard said, the state can stop “over regulating and overtaxing our citizens.”

Farmer said “tort reform” will help spur economic development and boost state revenues because businesses are concerned about their “legal exposure” in Louisiana.

“Perception is reality,” Farmer said.

No one is supporting tax hikes.

As another means of economic development, Dawson said, the state can improve economically by continuing to grow as Hollywood south by boosting the infrastructure and incentives so much more movie production will take place in Louisiana, and not just the filming.
What

Saint Francisville, LA

#3 Oct 11, 2011
My guess, but not my wish. Jett and Dawson in a run off and Jett wins.
Too many republicans in the race.
Voter

Metairie, LA

#4 Oct 11, 2011
What wrote:
Why Jett wins? Have you heard Jett? I didn't know much about Jett, other than the expensive, well written mailers and flyers I have seen around. I heard him speak for the first time the other night, and almost fell out of my seat!!! He was my choice before I met and heard him.
Please!!! Who ever writes his campaign handouts would get my vote, but come on, this guy will be an embarrassment at the Capital.
I just don't understand? Dawson and Havard to me are at least presentable, and it then comes down to do you want growth or not?

Dawson - Pro Growth, and has some state recognition from his Jury term.

Havard - Old Family ties, a junior version of old family McVey. He is endorsed by McVey and I understand picked by McVey as his replacement.

But Jett??? Please!!!
Nofan

Baker, LA

#5 Oct 11, 2011
Dawson's only state recognition from his Jury term is his questionable ethics.
He has a strong inability to get along with other jurors.
He does not return phone calls to his constituents.

The roads in West Feliciana fell in terrible disrepair while he and his chosen buddy Sims refused to provide any help with any citizens in the parish. Only since Sims has left has there been any progress occurring in this parish.

The only ProGrowth Dawson is interested in was the growth of the company he was receiving a paycheck from. The same company that resulting in his being looked at by the Ethics Board - He was paying that company with police jury funds in order to get a paycheck for himself.

He smiles pretty and looks pretty but it ain't pretty what has been going on with this parish.

Did I mention that he saw to it to get his friends, Sims, Coco and that Computer man large raises that the parish could not afford.$30,000 for one $20,000 for the other two. Then had the nerve to promote a tax on the people in the parish.
Tax and spend is his mantra.. If you want more taxes and more governmental strong arming, more high paid political appointments, then Dawson is definitely your man..

Dawson uses his old Family ties well..
not a chance

Baton Rouge, LA

#6 Oct 11, 2011
What wrote:
Jett doesn’t have a shot; everyone knows he stole large amounts of materials and equipment from the paper mill. He acknowledged and admitted it in his press release. Said he learned from his mistakes, bahahahaha!!! Good Luck with that.
NO WAY

United States

#7 Oct 11, 2011
not a chance wrote:
<quoted text>
Jett doesn’t have a shot; everyone knows he stole large amounts of materials and equipment from the paper mill. He acknowledged and admitted it in his press release. Said he learned from his mistakes, bahahahaha!!! Good Luck with that.
You could not pay me to vote for Ronnie Jett, even with all of Burl Cain's money. Surely you know that Ronnie is just another "front man" for the warden. You may as well vote for the warden as you would for Jett. Where do you think all of the money is coming from for the awfully expensive full color direct mail we are all receiving? And the best stuff is yet to come. Ronnie Jett, a self professed thief. And he has the nerve to ask us to send him to BR as our Representative? He truly does believe we are stupid. I sure hope we're NOT.
Spurvey

Columbia, LA

#8 Oct 11, 2011
Nofan wrote:
Dawson's only state recognition from his Jury term is his questionable ethics.
He has a strong inability to get along with other jurors.
He does not return phone calls to his constituents.
The roads in West Feliciana fell in terrible disrepair while he and his chosen buddy Sims refused to provide any help with any citizens in the parish. Only since Sims has left has there been any progress occurring in this parish.
The only ProGrowth Dawson is interested in was the growth of the company he was receiving a paycheck from. The same company that resulting in his being looked at by the Ethics Board - He was paying that company with police jury funds in order to get a paycheck for himself.
He smiles pretty and looks pretty but it ain't pretty what has been going on with this parish.
Did I mention that he saw to it to get his friends, Sims, Coco and that Computer man large raises that the parish could not afford.$30,000 for one $20,000 for the other two. Then had the nerve to promote a tax on the people in the parish.
Tax and spend is his mantra.. If you want more taxes and more governmental strong arming, more high paid political appointments, then Dawson is definitely your man..
Dawson uses his old Family ties well..
I must disagree with some of what you said. He got along with and had a 4/3 majority until Cobbs relative had problems at jury office. He has always returned my calls and took care of a road issue after the juror that is over the road committee would not return my e-mail or phone call. The road issue needs to be addressed to the juror who was overseeing the roads committee. That was Lee Williams. What has been the progress in this parish since Mr. Simms was removed. Other than the bridge and 4 lane opening which was attributable to the state, what else? Mr. Dawson has supported numerous business interests besides RBS including Villages of Columbia, the Paper Mill, etc. So your statement about only being interested in growth for the company he worked for, is incorrect. I agree with you, he does have a pretty smile and looks good. Not sure why that would be a problem. Better than some knuckle dragging, mouth breathing dufus. Has the Ethics board ever rendered a final decision on the ethics "allegation"? Think the raises more trying to get good people employed by the parish to bring us into the 21st century. Not saying that they were successful, just saying that was the intent. I agree that they failed miserably on that task. Please explain the High paid political appointments statement. Must have missed out on that fiasco.
Spurv is almost funny

United States

#9 Oct 11, 2011
Spurvey wrote:
<quoted text>I must disagree with some of what you said. He got along with and had a 4/3 majority until Cobbs relative had problems at jury office. He has always returned my calls and took care of a road issue after the juror that is over the road committee would not return my e-mail or phone call. The road issue needs to be addressed to the juror who was overseeing the roads committee. That was Lee Williams. What has been the progress in this parish since Mr. Simms was removed. Other than the bridge and 4 lane opening which was attributable to the state, what else? Mr. Dawson has supported numerous business interests besides RBS including Villages of Columbia, the Paper Mill, etc. So your statement about only being interested in growth for the company he worked for, is incorrect. I agree with you, he does have a pretty smile and looks good. Not sure why that would be a problem. Better than some knuckle dragging, mouth breathing dufus. Has the Ethics board ever rendered a final decision on the ethics "allegation"? Think the raises more trying to get good people employed by the parish to bring us into the 21st century. Not saying that they were successful, just saying that was the intent. I agree that they failed miserably on that task. Please explain the High paid political appointments statement. Must have missed out on that fiasco.
You respond to a post but fail to address the points the poster has made. Makes sense to a Dawson supporter like you. But makes no sense to those of us who have "experienced" Dawson's style of leadership, or lack thereof. You fit in quite well as a Ken supporter.
Spurv is almost funny

United States

#10 Oct 11, 2011
Here's an idea. Spruvey's "screen name" should be changed to BARBIE. Yeah, that's it. Ken and Barbie!!
Nofan

Baker, LA

#11 Oct 11, 2011
Spurvey wrote:
<quoted text>I must disagree with some of what you said. He got along with and had a 4/3 majority until Cobbs relative had problems at jury office. He has always returned my calls and took care of a road issue after the juror that is over the road committee would not return my e-mail or phone call. The road issue needs to be addressed to the juror who was overseeing the roads committee. That was Lee Williams. What has been the progress in this parish since Mr. Simms was removed. Other than the bridge and 4 lane opening which was attributable to the state, what else? Mr. Dawson has supported numerous business interests besides RBS including Villages of Columbia, the Paper Mill, etc. So your statement about only being interested in growth for the company he worked for, is incorrect. I agree with you, he does have a pretty smile and looks good. Not sure why that would be a problem. Better than some knuckle dragging, mouth breathing dufus. Has the Ethics board ever rendered a final decision on the ethics "allegation"? Think the raises more trying to get good people employed by the parish to bring us into the 21st century. Not saying that they were successful, just saying that was the intent. I agree that they failed miserably on that task. Please explain the High paid political appointments statement. Must have missed out on that fiasco.
Your fearless leader Mr. Dawson refused to allow any committees. He eliminated the Road Committee - when did he fix your road problems?? We tried for 3 years to get him to respond to our road problems. He also eliminated the Finance Committee after a group of citizens questioned the money being spent by the accountant and the IT guy not to mention the expensive trips and meals that Simms and Dawson and Shoemake were taking. But, I'm sure you think giving those good employees Coco and Reinert each a $20,000 raise was a smart move for the parish. Didn't they get investigated for a crime for misuse of tax funds??
Mr. Wilson was on the Recreation Committee but was not allowed to help with the budget for the Recreation because Dawson also eliminated that committee. Dawson has leadership abilities, they just are not good leadership abilities.
Yes he did support Villages of Columbia - he tried hard to get them a $25million dollar tax bond.- after they didn't get their hands on our tax money VOC abandoned their purchase agreement. Go figure??? Dawson, Sims and Shoemake gave them everything they could, even going against the P & Z and what the citizens wanted..
Funny

Saint Francisville, LA

#12 Oct 11, 2011
Nofan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your fearless leader Mr. Dawson refused to allow any committees. He eliminated the Road Committee - when did he fix your road problems?? We tried for 3 years to get him to respond to our road problems. He also eliminated the Finance Committee after a group of citizens questioned the money being spent by the accountant and the IT guy not to mention the expensive trips and meals that Simms and Dawson and Shoemake were taking. But, I'm sure you think giving those good employees Coco and Reinert each a $20,000 raise was a smart move for the parish. Didn't they get investigated for a crime for misuse of tax funds??
Mr. Wilson was on the Recreation Committee but was not allowed to help with the budget for the Recreation because Dawson also eliminated that committee. Dawson has leadership abilities, they just are not good leadership abilities.
Yes he did support Villages of Columbia - he tried hard to get them a $25million dollar tax bond.- after they didn't get their hands on our tax money VOC abandoned their purchase agreement. Go figure??? Dawson, Sims and Shoemake gave them everything they could, even going against the P & Z and what the citizens wanted..
How did tonights meeting go Lea? It looks like with Dawson gone you will be the Jury President! I can't wait for that! If everyone thought the past meetings were hilarious, My predictions are. Williams-Pres, Stevenson as VP & Wilson, Cobb, Roach, Shoe and NEW PERSON, as supporting cast will have higher ratings than "Swamp People". This group will definitely increase tourism dollars, people will come from as far away as Mississippi, to see this Circus. This group will out draw the Angola Rodeo and have their clowns out numbered by two to one! By the way do you think anyone really buys the BS in your post above other than you and your fan club?? What ever you are smoking or taking you need to lower the dose!
Dawson and Sims aren't hiding under your bed any longer, and know they didn't blow-up the Murrah Building or the Twin Towers, however, I am sure you have evidence that they were on the grassy knoll in Dallas on 23 November 1963, right?
Travis

Paulina, LA

#13 Oct 11, 2011
I watched them speak in Zachary. Or, in Jett's case, I should say "saw him read". I agree with one of the previous posts, Jett is embarrassing. We need someone at the capitol who will be respected and can attract votes for our causes. That guy is definitely not Jett.

Looks to me like Havard or Dawson are both good choices from what I saw in Zachary. Dawson has more government connections and experience, so he could probably get the most done for us on a practical level. He did seem to know more about economic development than the others and God knows we really need some of that! I don't know how many people realize how dire our budget problems are becoming in WF.
Concerned

Baton Rouge, LA

#14 Oct 12, 2011
No way will your "supporting cast" still be sitting on the Jury after the election. Those clowns will be gone, finally, and some no doubt on the way to jail. That includes the egomaniacal Mr. Dawson, who has swelled up from gorging at the public trough long enough.
Funny

Saint Francisville, LA

#15 Oct 12, 2011
Concerned wrote:
No way will your "supporting cast" still be sitting on the Jury after the election. Those clowns will be gone, finally, and some no doubt on the way to jail. That includes the egomaniacal Mr. Dawson, who has swelled up from gorging at the public trough long enough.
Wish in one hand and @@@ in the other and see which one fills up first!!!

Kean can't win in Roach's district.
Shoemake has a lot more support than your feeble mind can handle, in his district.
Wilson has the Lula London PAC providing people WILSON's ballot number because, the can'y read his name.
Stevens - will be replaced
Babers will replace Dawson
Cobb's indictment may take away his lock on his district, I wouldn't be too surprised if he still won.

My predictions:

Dawson and Havard in Run-off with Dawson win.

PJ - Babers, Williams, Wilson, Roach, Percy, Rogers and Shoemake

about 12 days and we will know! I don't see any mix that will significantly change this three ring circus, called WFPPJ.

“Time flies like an arrow...”

Since: Mar 07

"fruit flies like a banana"

#16 Oct 12, 2011
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
How did tonights meeting go Lea? It looks like with Dawson gone you will be the Jury President! I can't wait for that! If everyone thought the past meetings were hilarious, My predictions are. Williams-Pres, Stevenson as VP & Wilson, Cobb, Roach, Shoe and NEW PERSON, as supporting cast will have higher ratings than "Swamp People". This group will definitely increase tourism dollars, people will come from as far away as Mississippi, to see this Circus. This group will out draw the Angola Rodeo and have their clowns out numbered by two to one! By the way do you think anyone really buys the BS in your post above other than you and your fan club?? What ever you are smoking or taking you need to lower the dose!
Dawson and Sims aren't hiding under your bed any longer, and know they didn't blow-up the Murrah Building or the Twin Towers, however, I am sure you have evidence that they were on the grassy knoll in Dallas on 23 November 1963, right?
I think you intended 22 Nov 1963 - the day President Kennedy was assassinated. But, since nothing else in your post is factual, I suppose the date should be wrong as well.
Not So Funny

Baton Rouge, LA

#17 Oct 12, 2011
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
Wish in one hand and @@@ in the other and see which one fills up first!!!
Kean can't win in Roach's district.
Shoemake has a lot more support than your feeble mind can handle, in his district.
Wilson has the Lula London PAC providing people WILSON's ballot number because, the can'y read his name.
Stevens - will be replaced
Babers will replace Dawson
Cobb's indictment may take away his lock on his district, I wouldn't be too surprised if he still won.
My predictions:
Dawson and Havard in Run-off with Dawson win.
PJ - Babers, Williams, Wilson, Roach, Percy, Rogers and Shoemake
about 12 days and we will know! I don't see any mix that will significantly change this three ring circus, called WFPPJ.
I'm glad to see that you think the District 7 candidates will also be representing District 3. Wilson and Rogers?

Babers had his own ethical issues that were not resolved by the courts until last year. It does take a long time for those pesky ethical issues to be resolved... Maybe Dawson will be able to win in the House of Representatives and get his taken care of..

Do you really think old Shoe will beat Lambert. God, I hope not!!
Funny

Metairie, LA

#18 Oct 12, 2011
pragmatist wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you intended 22 Nov 1963 - the day President Kennedy was assassinated. But, since nothing else in your post is factual, I suppose the date should be wrong as well.
Great Typo catch, Keep up the Great work, as editor you will surely receive a Pulitzer next year!

I know you are a wiz typo catcher, and are unbiased, but i call your attention to the difference between speculation and fact! The predictions provided were mere speculation and not provided as FACTS. Are you sure you don't work for FOX News? I would SPECULATE, if I didn't know better, that you received your vast editorial training, somewhere in the FOX organization.

Keep up the good works!
Murphy

Saint Francisville, LA

#19 Oct 12, 2011
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
Great Typo catch, Keep up the Great work, as editor you will surely receive a Pulitzer next year!
I know you are a wiz typo catcher, and are unbiased, but i call your attention to the difference between speculation and fact! The predictions provided were mere speculation and not provided as FACTS. Are you sure you don't work for FOX News? I would SPECULATE, if I didn't know better, that you received your vast editorial training, somewhere in the FOX organization.
Keep up the good works!
Are predictions ever factual? If so there would be no need to have an election or play a ball game.
No Spurvey fan here

United States

#22 Oct 12, 2011
Surprise wrote:
We've all heard the expression "You get what you pay for". Seems Bill Depew learned that the hard way cause he sure didn't get much. He just got what he deserved, not what "we" paid for.
C'mon Spurv. Surely you have something to say. Sorry, I should have said "C'mon Barbie", Ken awaits your reply.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Zachary Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Emmit Cazes is gay!? Jul 15 FriendsOnFB 13
News Live video: Watch Percy Sledge's funeral servic... Apr '15 Maggie Richardson 1
News Zachary man accused of raping hospital shuttle ... Apr '15 So Happy 2
wat u know about here (Mar '13) Mar '15 slipstick 2
News East Feliciana coroner may be first to receive ... (Nov '14) Nov '14 CONCERNEDTAXPAYER 1
News Crime forum organizer bashes Baker school offic... (May '14) Nov '14 Informed 2
Sydney for Judge (Nov '14) Nov '14 Winchester 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Zachary Mortgages