Since: Jul 11

Coxsackie, NY

#21 Jul 26, 2011
ADavis wrote:
Steve, Ritch T - thanks for bringing a smile. You're right about swimming like fish, Steve. I remember the DiMaggio family, they had 3 boys who spent the summer at the lake. We would play tag and when one of them was "it" they would chase each other by swimming across the lake. The rest of us would just sort of hang out, waiting for them to swim back. Ritch, I got my first kiss at Washington lake also. Was walking the lake front path to Times Square and kissed Carol, a waitress at the Yulan Hotel. I swear to this day my feet left the ground (of course she was older and taller). Hey Ritch, there was a woman who worked at the Washington Beach Hotel who lived in Eldred. I used to play with her daughter. They invited me for dinner one night and I recall their house sitting up on a hill overlooking the town. They served "boiled" chicken and I still remember seeing the pale skin and pimples where the feathers once rooted. Being used to fried chicken I just didn't know what to make of it. Not much info but does it ring any bells? We used to go to the hardware/bait shop in Eldred. I recall it being on the corner in town.
I believe you are referring to my dad ( Vinnie) and his brothers in this post. Vinnie, Jimmy, and Johnny Maggio. My grandparents had a house on Washington Beach Rd. I spent every summer in Yulan from birth in 1967 till I was well into my 30's. After my grandparents passed the family sold the house in the late 90's.Anyone who was fortunate enough to experience the good times in Yulan NY back in those days are blessed. THEY WILL FOREVER REMAIN THE BEST MEMORIES OF MY LIFE!

Since: Jul 11

Coxsackie, NY

#22 Jul 26, 2011
Ritch T wrote:
At my 20th class reunion 1992 for Eldred Central School we had our picnic at the Cantwells. It was purchased by one of the Ryman boys in the earily 1990's, Billys younger brother- can't remeber his name. He married one of the Oset girls from Yulan. Her dad was the milk man. Cantwells was great but on the opposite side of the lake was Washington Lake cassio. I grew up there as a local boy hanging out with the city kids who had cabins. I remember (Ginger, MEG (Marry Ellen Gordon)and the Daughtery twins one of whom kissed me - can't forget the first kiss that made a girl laugh. I am now just makeing one girl laugh.
The Ginger you are referring to is my aunt Ginger. My Grandparents had 6 children and had a house On Washington Beach Road where summers were spent. The children were Vinnie (my dad) Jimmy, Johnny, Ginger, Patricia, and Veronica. My experience in Yulan began at birth in 1967 until the late 90's when the house was sold. They are the best memories of my life and feel blessed to have had the experience of Yulan in my life. I went back a few years ago and everything was so different, it made me cry. I cherish the times I had there and think back quite often. The closeness that all the families shared with each other was miraculous. Those times really had a big impact on who am am today and makes me want to make wonderful memories for my daughter.
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#23 Aug 10, 2011
ADavis wrote:
Steve, Ritch T - thanks for bringing a smile. You're right about swimming like fish, Steve. I remember the DiMaggio family, they had 3 boys who spent the summer at the lake. We would play tag and when one of them was "it" they would chase each other by swimming across the lake. The rest of us would just sort of hang out, waiting for them to swim back. Ritch, I got my first kiss at Washington lake also. Was walking the lake front path to Times Square and kissed Carol, a waitress at the Yulan Hotel. I swear to this day my feet left the ground (of course she was older and taller). Hey Ritch, there was a woman who worked at the Washington Beach Hotel who lived in Eldred. I used to play with her daughter. They invited me for dinner one night and I recall their house sitting up on a hill overlooking the town. They served "boiled" chicken and I still remember seeing the pale skin and pimples where the feathers once rooted. Being used to fried chicken I just didn't know what to make of it. Not much info but does it ring any bells? We used to go to the hardware/bait shop in Eldred. I recall it being on the corner in town.
That hardware store on corner was Bill Boydes I beleave.I worked in highland lake and we would walk to the 5 corners.
ADavis

Columbia, SC

#24 Aug 27, 2011
Michelle, somehow missed your posts but they bring a smile. My sister, Vicki, and your dad, were close. I had taken a trip back to the lake and stopped by the house your family owned. I sat with your grandmother and shared stories. One was that my dad used to take fish to your grandmother's sister (I think) who stayed at Gregory's Washington Beach Hotel. She didn't have the heart to tell my dad she didn't like fish and instead used to take them up the hill to your grandmother.
Yes, Bob, it was Boydes. I never knew the area was called 5 corners. Interesting as Yulan had its 4 corners.
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#25 Aug 27, 2011
ADavis wrote:
Michelle, somehow missed your posts but they bring a smile. My sister, Vicki, and your dad, were close. I had taken a trip back to the lake and stopped by the house your family owned. I sat with your grandmother and shared stories. One was that my dad used to take fish to your grandmother's sister (I think) who stayed at Gregory's Washington Beach Hotel. She didn't have the heart to tell my dad she didn't like fish and instead used to take them up the hill to your grandmother.
Yes, Bob, it was Boydes. I never knew the area was called 5 corners. Interesting as Yulan had its 4 corners.
Those days will never beforgotten,Although Billy Boydes was alittle older than me he knew I was a strong swimmer and asked me if I would go with him to retrive sunken canoes that sunk in the Delaware rapids near Pond Eddy on RT 97 we would find rifles and fishing and camping gear.I may have misspoke by calling the 4 corners in Yulan 5 corners, sorry.
Bob Gladitsch

Highland, NY

#26 Aug 28, 2011
ADavis: I also remember the crowds of people that filled those 4 corners after church on sunday buying post cards and silvernears.Maybe that's how I miss counted those corners HaHa. I hope your safe from the storm.
Mary Purcell

United States

#27 Feb 26, 2012
My brother, James, found this site and sent it to all his siblings and we're all going back and forth with Cantwell memories. We assume the Steve who stayed in the bungalow is Haran(Harran). Ethel was my grandmother and I spent most of my childhood summers at Cantwells and all of my teenage ones. All these postings bring back vivid memories....the dock, raft, shuffleboard, ice cream,hide and seek in all the buildings, fishing, the row boats, the dinner bell, softball games, Times Square, the skating rink, etc. But especially walking around the lake. I swear we did that every day. What was up with that? Ah, sweet innocence. Does anyone remember the abandoned "witch's house" on the road to the Washington Lake Hotel? She (the witch) caught Tom and me (and there was someone else with us) there one time and chased us with a stick as we ran down to the lake and jumped into a leaky rowboat we found there. I had stepped on a board with a rusty nail in it that went through my sneaker into the sole of my foot and cleaned it out by sticking my foot in the lake. Needlees to say, that wasn't sufficient. Does anyone remember playing "knucks" on the lakehouse porch? Swollen, bloody knuckles. How stupid were we? I could go on and on but will wait 'til I get a response.
All the Purcells returned to the area for a family reunion a couple of years ago and stayed at Rebers and bowled at Rohmans and had a great time, but it's true that you can't go back. Visiting Yulan did bring back fond memories but it's almost hard to believe that what's there now was ever the thriving summer mecca for so many "city" people. And the adults had as good a time as we did just a couple of hours outside NYC. It is hard to believe and something it'd be difficult to explain to our children and grandchildren in this day and age. No video games, no texting. Who could stand it?
Until next time......

Since: Feb 12

Woodbury, NJ

#28 Feb 26, 2012
Well, Mary beat me to it. I hope everyone who was posting is still around, because these posts have brought back such a flood of memories for all of us. We all worked for Ethel (Nana) from the time we could reach the top of the prep tables in the kitchen. I started making toast during breakfast (memories of Aunt Eleanor!) and worked every job until my final year there in 1975 as bartender.

RichT mentioned that Cantwell's was bought by one of the Ryman boys and that he had married an Oset. That would be Jackie - memories of a campfire in the woods next to Eldred High School back in 1972 or 73. I remember Johnny Maggio (he might even have been at that campfire, or was it the time we got rousted by the sheriff in the pines?). So many other faces and escapades! I have always said that I lived in Glastonbury (CT), but grew up in Yulan.

We'd love to hear some more stories from people who remember those days. So, please keep the memories coming.
Tom P

United States

#29 Mar 16, 2012
Ah, the memories. I could write a book, but no one would believe it to be non fiction. My grandmother and grandfather were Ethel and Joe Cantwell. They moved to the country in the late 20's and opened the place as a speakeasy. It grew to what it was in the early 60's. That's when my parents dropped my sister Mary and I for the summer; my mother had 6 of us and she looked forward to unloading a couple of us with Ethel each summer (and we loved it). We were hot stuff because we were the grandchildren of the owner. Ethel did not see it that way, though. She worked us in the kitchen, the rooms, the laundry, and when old enough, behind the bar.
In 1965, I met my wife while I waited on tables. Her parents were from Brooklyn and went the every summer. That was the beginning of our 40 plus years, 2 kids, and twin grandchildren.
I used to hang with the bungalow gang; Stevie and Bobby, as well as all of the boarders. We saw the seaplane crash, walked around the lake every day, went into the haunted house, walked through Gregory's beach, past the Colonial, around the Casino, by Twin Oaks, and then ended up at the Cabin, that my Uncle Jimmy ran. It had a shuffleboard table, a great juke box, an ice cream counter (Sealtest was the best!).
A couple of years ago, we took my father back to Barryville, where he grew up, for a family reunion. There is nothing left of the old Cantwells, and some of us could not even visit. Too sad.
We did go to Rhoman's and bowl. Still the same alleys and you supply your own pin setters.
There is so much I left out, but hope others will add on eir memories.
Joe

Port Jervis, NY

#30 Mar 23, 2012
I live in Yulan now. I have heard a few people talk about the love affair they had with this town. I thoroughly enjoyed reading each and every post. It must have been wonderful.
Ron Jones

Melbourne Beach, FL

#31 Apr 18, 2012
I remember Cantwells for that log cabin on the lake. I could hear the music from the jute box at Cantwells echoing off the lake. I was on the other side of washington lake staying at the Washington Beach Hotel, formally Tethers and then Gregorys.I have been going to Yulan from 1937 when i was 8 months old until 1960. It was my summer paradise I spent every summer vacation there until 1960. I returned to the area in the 1980,s and like everything in life you can't go back .
[email protected]
Rich B NJ

Union, NJ

#32 May 1, 2012
I remember Cantwells. My Aunt Pat was married to Jimmy Cantwell. The last time I stopped by the property in 1997 to bring back some memories.
Ronnie- former waitress

Wilburton, PA

#33 Aug 27, 2012
Mary Purcell wrote:
My brother, James, found this site and sent it to all his siblings and we're all going back and forth with Cantwell memories. We assume the Steve who stayed in the bungalow is Haran(Harran). Ethel was my grandmother and I spent most of my childhood summers at Cantwells and all of my teenage ones. All these postings bring back vivid memories....the dock, raft, shuffleboard, ice cream,hide and seek in all the buildings, fishing, the row boats, the dinner bell, softball games, Times Square, the skating rink, etc. But especially walking around the lake. I swear we did that every day. What was up with that? Ah, sweet innocence. Does anyone remember the abandoned "witch's house" on the road to the Washington Lake Hotel? She (the witch) caught Tom and me (and there was someone else with us) there one time and chased us with a stick as we ran down to the lake and jumped into a leaky rowboat we found there. I had stepped on a board with a rusty nail in it that went through my sneaker into the sole of my foot and cleaned it out by sticking my foot in the lake. Needlees to say, that wasn't sufficient. Does anyone remember playing "knucks" on the lakehouse porch? Swollen, bloody knuckles. How stupid were we? I could go on and on but will wait 'til I get a response.
All the Purcells returned to the area for a family reunion a couple of years ago and stayed at Rebers and bowled at Rohmans and had a great time, but it's true that you can't go back. Visiting Yulan did bring back fond memories but it's almost hard to believe that what's there now was ever the thriving summer mecca for so many "city" people. And the adults had as good a time as we did just a couple of hours outside NYC. It is hard to believe and something it'd be difficult to explain to our children and grandchildren in this day and age. No video games, no texting. Who could stand it?
Until next time......
Mary I saw this site a year or so ago and bookmarked the page. Glad to see you and the family found the site...oh and my daughter's children use the chifforobe you gaave me...would love to catch up with you, remember the "ride" with Howie (a guest) to take some lady to a hospital?
Al Davis

Richmond, VA

#34 Aug 27, 2012
Ron Jones wrote:
I remember Cantwells for that log cabin on the lake. I could hear the music from the jute box at Cantwells echoing off the lake. I was on the other side of washington lake staying at the Washington Beach Hotel, formally Tethers and then Gregorys.I have been going to Yulan from 1937 when i was 8 months old until 1960. It was my summer paradise I spent every summer vacation there until 1960. I returned to the area in the 1980,s and like everything in life you can't go back .
[email protected]
Hey Ron. Happen to have any old photos of Washington Beach Hotel? Thanks, Al.
Mary Purcell

Mcdonough, GA

#35 Sep 3, 2012
Hey Ronnie- I remember that hospital trip...can't believe you do. My father, siblings, kids, grandkids, and I are going to a similar "resort" later this month, near Albany, to celebrate my father's 90th birthday. It should be a blast and bring back many memories. We celebrated my father's birthday a couple of years ago in Barryville at what used to be Rebers. We bowled at Rohman's, one of only 4 or 5 alleys in the U.S. that still uses pin setters, and checked out the area. It's become quite upscale, with good restaurants. Not sure of the attraction. You can email me at [email protected] and we can catch up. Glad you found this site.

Since: Feb 12

Camden, NJ

#36 Sep 3, 2012
Rich B NJ wrote:
I remember Cantwells. My Aunt Pat was married to Jimmy Cantwell. The last time I stopped by the property in 1997 to bring back some memories.
Well, Rich, that makes us cousins of sorts. Jimmie Cantwell was my uncle (and my 5 siblings' uncle). And she was out Aunt Pat, too. Not sure if we ever met, but I live in Lawrenceville, NJ and am in Newark quite often. Perhaps we could grab a cup of coffee sometime? Email me at [email protected]
virginia gorman

Richmond Hill, NY

#37 Nov 8, 2012
it was wonderful to see your cmments,Michele.Your father,Vinny,was my cousin.My kids are always asking "why don't we take a ride to Aunt Pat's summer house,but I am afraid that it woud be too sad.
They want to go to the Colonial to have their famous onion soup. I remember those famous moning breakfasts that Uncle Vinny would cook and all the kids swimming in the lake on Friday nite and Ginger washing her hair. I used to sit with Aunt Pat,Aunt Alice and Aunt Agnes and play 4 hand solatair, What fun we had. Before I got married I used to ride up to Yulan with my Uncle Vinny for the weekend and I thought it was such fun to go to Roamers after Mass on Sundays It seeme so wild and good fun. Thanks for the Memories Uncel Vinny and Aunt Pat Love Virginia
Ronald Jones

Melbourne Beach, FL

#38 Nov 10, 2012
Al Davis wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Ron. Happen to have any old photos of Washington Beach Hotel? Thanks, Al.
i will look through some old boxes and let you know.
Ron
Jim Roland

Bad Axe, MI

#39 Dec 9, 2013
Thanks for the memories everyone. I worked At Cantwell's for 2 summers...1970-71. Best experience of my life. The 1st year I was the lifeguard at the pool and the 2nd year I worked in the kitchen. Ethel was 1 tough cookie to work for but she had a heart of gold. And all Jimmy Cantwell did was work almost 24-7. I would love to contact the Purcell's and the gang. What great memories. Does anyone remember Bootsy from the hotel next to Cantwell's? Thanks again everyone....you made my day.
Kathy Roland Campbell

Fraser, MI

#41 Dec 9, 2013
This blog rekindled many happy memories! As a family we traveled every summer to spend at least a week at our favorite vacation spot. I got married and when our first daughter was 18 months old we traveled back to Cantwells. My husband loved it there as much as I did. That was 1971 and my last trip there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yulan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yankees hide in CT still trying to steal PA fro... Jan '17 Shane STRASSBERG ... 1
worked for my uncle charlie pankow at green me... (Jun '09) Jun '16 Bob Gladitsch 21
bertrams lodge (Jul '09) Oct '15 A friend 28
green meadows (Jul '12) Jun '15 Bob G 9
adoption searching for information Kevin Michae... (Nov '13) Jun '15 Mccmahoney 2
Review: SLK Transportation LLC (May '15) May '15 Mrs Kai 1
Yula n (Dec '12) May '13 Bob G 3

Yulan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Yulan Mortgages