Church sign causes political controversy

Full story: KFOR 100
As we gear up for election day, there is controversy stirring involving a sign located outside an Oklahoma church. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Amber

Oklahoma City, OK

#81 Oct 28, 2010
not the other chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, time to get with it. This is now the U.S.A. And we've proven ourselves to be the greatest nation on the earth. You want to change it to some communist country like our soon to be impeached president? Or may you prefer living in the past, and using that as an excuse to apologize for who and what we are today. The United States of America? My suggest is to simply move to Red China. You can study all the ancient history you want and spout off all day long about how bad we are - or rather, WERE - just like Obama. Makes no difference to the rest of us patriots. Again, thanks for your service, and welcome back to America.
Being black and cherokee indian I find it funny that the decendants of the oppressor always want those who were oppressed to get over it. There are many blacks and native americans who have given a lot more for this country, that does not even like them or treat them as human beings many times than a lot of those who come from European decendants. I do not get this loyalty to country stuff. PATRIOTISM. Real patriotism is standing up to protect your family and your land and your community and people all over this country of every race and religion do that everyday. I can guarantee if anyone from anywhere was ever to come to our soil and attack us (like 9 11) we would all be American Patriots then. You must have forgotten about all the non white, conservative Christians who pulled together to save lives on that fateful day. Also, you do not get to pick what country you are born in anymore than you get to pick the race or gender you are born into. IT is just 1000% chance. Now you can be LUCKY and THANKFUL that God chose you to be born American but I do not really know where all this pride and patriotism comes from. You have to do something to be proud and to be a Patriot means you have love and loyalty to something.
what the

United States

#82 Oct 28, 2010
OK is a red state. The bible thumpin rednecks of the state represent the Republican party and more or less run the state. To say this sign doesn't imply voting Republican shows how deep you bible thumpin hicks are buried in your own pathetic backazzwards one track way of life because you cant see in from the outside.

The entire country knows what Oklahoma is and what kind of pathetic morons live there. Oklahoma? Oh yeah thats where all those rednecks try to put god in the white house while they're usin their outhouse!
Tuna Boat

Oklahoma City, OK

#83 Oct 29, 2010
Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if you know God and have a relationship with him then you would know how to vote because he would have told you. Why do you need a sign or a Pastor to tell you? BAAA BAAA sounds like the sheep are hearding again.
I read my Bible all the time and have read it cover to cover many times and I have never, not once seen any passages that tell me to vote with a certain political party. DO you know why? because GOD is NOT political. Politics is a completely man made creation. God is too busy healing the sick and feeding the hungry. He doesn't have time for America's political races.
I think you might want to pray before you pick up that bible next time. God is a part of everything no matter what man has put labels on. And God is always on the side of good and oposes evil. Evil lurks on all sides whether it be Democrate or Republican.
Anonymous

Oklahoma City, OK

#84 Oct 29, 2010
Amber wrote:
<quoted text>
Being black and cherokee indian I find it funny that the decendants of the oppressor always want those who were oppressed to get over it. There are many blacks and native americans who have given a lot more for this country, that does not even like them or treat them as human beings many times than a lot of those who come from European decendants. I do not get this loyalty to country stuff. PATRIOTISM. Real patriotism is standing up to protect your family and your land and your community and people all over this country of every race and religion do that everyday. I can guarantee if anyone from anywhere was ever to come to our soil and attack us (like 9 11) we would all be American Patriots then. You must have forgotten about all the non white, conservative Christians who pulled together to save lives on that fateful day. Also, you do not get to pick what country you are born in anymore than you get to pick the race or gender you are born into. IT is just 1000% chance. Now you can be LUCKY and THANKFUL that God chose you to be born American but I do not really know where all this pride and patriotism comes from. You have to do something to be proud and to be a Patriot means you have love and loyalty to something.
Nice speech, and the fact that you don't understand anything about national pride tells me you are part of the NEW America that feels entitled to what you have but not PROUD of your country and what it stands for. Who gives a rat's behind what happened to get us to where we are? If you can't be proud of America because of who we ARE, then you don't deserve to live here and reap the benefits. Remember Kennedy's speech about asking not what your country can do for you, but what YOU can do for IT?

I fought for my country in the Marine Corps. I never owned a slave, nor have I ever sold one. I did not steal my property from an Indian, African, or anyone else. My heritage is German and Danish, but what I call myself is not hyphenated. I am an American. I work for a living and have since I was 17. I speak English, and took advantage of the opportunity to learn to speak it correctly when I was in school. I have a graduate degree that I earned as a result of both my efforts in class and having paid for it. I am owed nothing by anyone nor do I owe anything other than that which I have chosen to indebt myself. I do owe my life and liberty to the country into which I was born. I feel that way because I am a patriot and am greatful for what my country stands for and the good it continues to do in the world. And we all would be better off without this idiotic call for some vaague and undefined "change we can believe in" and work on enhancing the good of our nation.
Welcome to America, Amber. Please get with the program.
Anonymous

Oklahoma City, OK

#85 Oct 29, 2010
what the wrote:
OK is a red state. The bible thumpin rednecks of the state represent the Republican party and more or less run the state. To say this sign doesn't imply voting Republican shows how deep you bible thumpin hicks are buried in your own pathetic backazzwards one track way of life because you cant see in from the outside.
The entire country knows what Oklahoma is and what kind of pathetic morons live there. Oklahoma? Oh yeah thats where all those rednecks try to put god in the white house while they're usin their outhouse!
Please send us your address and we'll provide you a ticket to Iraq or Red China or the Soviet Union. Oklahoma is a state of real patriots, not liberal, whiney, limp-wristed atheists. Sure there are some, but they know that we are true Americans and will protect them and their right to the freedom and economic benefits we enjoy as a result of fiscal responsibility and self-disciplined lifestyles, and the guts and commitment to remain true to the American heritage. Damn straight we're gun-toting, God-fearing rednecks. You really would be better off sponging off some other weak-kneed, "progressive," welfare state. Illinois would be a good place. Chicago might suit your needs just fine.
IJDavidson

Oklahoma City, OK

#86 Oct 29, 2010
If I had to drive past that sign every day, I would hate it too. Twice a day I drive past that 135-foot abomination of a cross off I-35, which is as grotesque and offensive as someone who wears an enormous jeweled golden cross around their neck. But I don't see any political favoritism in the sign and they're within their rights to post it. The problem is the essence of the message itself. It's sad that the New Dimensions Church has a pastor, David Rhoads, who is so ignorant and poorly educated that he can say, "We put the sign up because we believe that the founding fathers founded this country on biblical principles." Nothing could be further from the truth. The Founding Fathers based their political principles on the classical thought of Greek and Roman philosophers and the best thinkers of the Enlightenment. Unfortunately, far too many Americans believe the same thing as Pastor Rhoads. You're wrong, folks. Go read something called the First Amendment. That's PROOF that our country is not founded on Biblical Principles. The First Amendment is one of our most precious possessions as Americans. You want to see what it's like to live in a theocracy (a country run according to religious principles)? Move to Saudi Arabia, or Kuwait, or Morocco, or some other Islamic country under sharia law. Live in Afghanistan under the Taliban. And anyone who knows history knows it wasn't any better under Christianity when the European countries were governed under so-called "Christian" principles.
Anonymous

Oklahoma City, OK

#87 Oct 29, 2010
Well, Davidson, you are obviously very ignorant of our country's inception, and it is certainly your right to be "offended" by anything Christian. Many of your generation don't get it as well. And I believe we are at fault. It may be that in our fervor to encourage our young people to take up the cause (however vague that may be) and enjoy a better standard of living than we had, we have forgotten to instill in our children a sense of obligation and commitment back to society and to values that are timeless.

We also have no doubt been remiss in educating our children about the true historical context of our nation's beginnings because injustices were so recent, and the uniqueness and wholesome nature of our beginnings included some not so savory and spiritual times. As such, we almost apologized for being the nation we are, forgetting the positive and amazing things we HAVE become. We created the ACLU mentality that anything that is suggestive of our independence, our reliance on God, our national pride and strength is exclusive and narrow-minded.

The reality is that we HAVE come a long way, and those trials are well in the past. The problem is that the transition to where we are today has been awkward at best. And our stories of glory have been adopted by a generation now without a true cause. The current war cry: "change we can believe in," has with it a lack of appreciation and awareness of who we really are as a nation. The problem is that young people have learned to be offended at every opportunity and they often really don't even know why. They have been conditioned to buzz words and catch phrases that have little meaning but that evoke an emotional response which they substitute for valid reasoning. They now see our country's founding fathers as atheists and the Bible as outdated. They insist that nationalism is isolationism and bigotry. They view conservatism as narrow-minded and stingy. How very sad and a true indictment of our generation’s failure. We have accomplished great things but have neglected to reassure our prodigy that these things are real and true and worth remembering. And that they were deliberate and by design through trial and error, sacrifice, and heroism.

You are angry, and advocate for things that don't make sense or have any valid rationale. The NAACP is very much alive and well despite our having just elected a black president. The ACLU now will attack anything with a cross. Wonder who’ll be next. Our government will make special accommodations for anyone named Muhammad. Poor people, gay people, or anyone who can get an audience with media are still considered oppressed and in need of legislation. If you don’t rally around them in sympathy and an eagerness to “fix the system,” you are considered heartless or the enemy. The next political slogan to win out will be “change for the sake of change,” or “don’t know where we’re going, but we’re on our way!”
Mikep23661

Oklahoma City, OK

#88 Oct 29, 2010
<quoted text>
Yup, know all that. What's your point? Thanks for your service. Time to get with the program. This is 2010.
Chris, I don't and refuse to get with a program wholeheartedly, knowing what I know. Sorry buddy, but Im not one to take it up the you know what, just because all the false senses of security I get. You can have it.
Mikep23661

Oklahoma City, OK

#89 Oct 29, 2010
<quoted text>
Once again, time to get with it. This is now the U.S.A. And we've proven ourselves to be the greatest nation on the earth. You want to change it to some communist country like our soon to be impeached president? Or may you prefer living in the past, and using that as an excuse to apologize for who and what we are today. The United States of America? My suggest is to simply move to Red China. You can study all the ancient history you want and spout off all day long about how bad we are - or rather, WERE - just like Obama. Makes no difference to the rest of us patriots. Again, thanks for your service, and welcome back to America.
Patriot you say? Actually, unless you have served your country physically and not just by popping off at the mouth, I suggest you refrain from putting yourself and others like you in the same category as veterans. It is quite easy for the anglo-saxon people to preach about getting over something when they have never been marginalized. You must be one of those types that think apologing is a sign of weakness? So sad. Has President Obama made mistakes while in office? Of course. Has he made progress on his agenda he laid out when he was running? Absolutely. Actually, unless you have something else to say other than showing your so-called patriotism, I am done conversing with you. However, If you say something that is concrete, I will respond.
Anonymous

Oklahoma City, OK

#90 Oct 29, 2010
Mikep23661 wrote:
<quoted text>
Patriot you say? Actually, unless you have served your country physically and not just by popping off at the mouth, I suggest you refrain from putting yourself and others like you in the same category as veterans. It is quite easy for the anglo-saxon people to preach about getting over something when they have never been marginalized. You must be one of those types that think apologing is a sign of weakness? So sad. Has President Obama made mistakes while in office? Of course. Has he made progress on his agenda he laid out when he was running? Absolutely. Actually, unless you have something else to say other than showing your so-called patriotism, I am done conversing with you. However, If you say something that is concrete, I will respond.
I'm a Viet Nam era veteran. So, before waiting to be drafted, I DID follow my sense of patriotism as was common back then. What exactly has Obama succeeded in besides running our country in a larger debt in one year than all previous presidents combined? I'm very curious about your most unspecific claim. We have an historic umemployment rate. He has alienated the world in terms of respect and has come across as a weak, apologetic, incompetent bimbo, trying desperately to placate terrorist countries literally bowing and scraping before them. We have NOTHING to apologize for, by the way. Nothing honorable in his actions since he hasn't the knowledge of what our country has REALLY been about. He has weakened our military with spending cuts. And so on, and so on. He has done NOTHING, Zero, nadda, zip successfully accept break the law with his unconstitutional executive orders and ramrodding through the most unpopular and illegal legislation in recent history. No state or our federal constitution allows the government to REQUIRE health care insurance, for example. I could go on, but you've heard it all before, from his 20-year love affair with an anti-semetic church to his association and mentoring by his conspirator buddies. It's all true and defines his low character and him unequivocally as an anti-American.

By the way, you have said nothing specific yourself. Your generalizations and vague, sweeping statements about Hussein's great "progress" are too obvious. But you are free to continue to follow this boob as long as you like. There are many naive, blind supporters of this clown who actually still buy into his "change we can believe in" hype.

I will bet a dollar to a doughnut that the specifics I've mentioned will go right over your head and you'll continue to ignore the facts. Most Obamaites do. I'll be curious to see if you meant it about apologies or reconsidering your position honorable. I've yet to meet an Obama supporter that had that kind of character and honesty.
lewh

AOL

#91 Oct 29, 2010
Voting your conscience is not electioneering. Get a life and get over it. Anyone can complain about anything and it irks others. Suck it up!
TedumSue

Norman, OK

#92 Oct 30, 2010
Kudos to most of the comments. I just pray that every God-fearing registered American voter gets out there and votes and that the lines are so long we can't help but see that our votes do make a difference. Don't sit on the sidelines and complain. Ms. Holman, please don't get your feelings hurt, if you fall in this category I mentioned, I am talking to you, also.
Steve

United States

#93 Oct 31, 2010
I see this sign as a religious message. To say that voting HIS way is to vote Republican is stereotyping the Christian vote. BTW, just so I'm not misunderstood, I'm neither Christian nor Republican. I AM a guy that is getting VERY bored with poitical spin controlling so many Americans.
Kris

Philadelphia, PA

#94 Oct 31, 2010
Wendy can't take the public ridicule from this forum she has went thru her and her husbands friends accusing them of these accusations what I dont understand if she can't stand the heat why did she get on the news. She thinks if you didn't vote for Obama you are a racist and that all black deserve special treatment not equal treatment that they faught for and won and deserve. Amber that has spoke on here is her sister. I know this cause we use to be friends I called it quits after this and the outrageous text I got from her accusing me of these comments on here hopefully she learns to deal with all the hatred she is full of and learns everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and just cause they aren't the same as yours it doesn't make them any lesser of a person.
Wild Bill

Oklahoma City, OK

#95 Nov 1, 2010
They should lose tax exempt status
SOMONE WHO KNOWS

Lindsay, OK

#96 Nov 1, 2010
She was just doing it for the attention she is an idiot who has no freakin clu what she's talking about!
hahahahahaha

Lindsay, OK

#97 Nov 3, 2010
Someonewhoknows Christina November 3 at 5:17am Report
I am a friend of a friend of a friend of friend and I know that starting in Feb of 2009 Christina was having an affair with an old boyfriend named Derek that lasted several months. She had sex with this man 2 times and she planned on leaving you and starting a new life with this man. Dereks wife found out about the affair by checking text messages and cell phone records. Derek told her he was cheating and they git divorced. Christina is a sleezy homewrecker and she destroyed this family. She is a liar and cheater. Always has been and always will be since the first time i met her. Get away from her before its too late. I am just telling you because I like you. Believe me you can do better. She is a heartless cold bitch!
(Someone)
LOL

Oklahoma City, OK

#98 Nov 5, 2010
The church was only saying what needs to happen. We need to vote the damn dems out of office and take the country back from our no good president!
totally agree

Lindsay, OK

#99 Nov 8, 2010
LOL wrote:
The church was only saying what needs to happen. We need to vote the damn dems out of office and take the country back from our no good president!
Amen!!! The republicans are making a comeback though!!! Soon enough it will happen!
Western Oklahoma Watchdog

Ringwood, OK

#100 May 17, 2011
Churches and preachers should have the right to free speech on political matters..........THE SECOND THEY TURN IN THEIR W-2s. It seems to me that religious organizations and figures trade their right to speak publicly on political matters when they make a deal with the IRS to be exempt from taxes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yukon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
snapchat usernames! (Nov '13) 2 hr marieanabelleee 162
Oklahoma City's Midtown makes the grade 7 hr Oklahoma 1
OK Who do you support for Governor in Oklahoma in ... (Oct '10) 8 hr yeah 2,724
OK OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 8 hr Joyce 76,193
Members Of OKC Mosque Speak Out Against Alton N... Tue George 4
OK The "English is the Official Language of Oklaho... (Oct '10) Tue Joyce 11,303
bill w ward pd. Mon truth will out 2
Yukon Dating
Find my Match

Yukon Jobs

Yukon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Yukon News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Yukon

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]