Church sign causes political controversy

Church sign causes political controversy

There are 100 comments on the KFOR story from Oct 27, 2010, titled Church sign causes political controversy. In it, KFOR reports that:

As we gear up for election day, there is controversy stirring involving a sign located outside an Oklahoma church.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KFOR.

Mikep23661

Montgomery, AL

#21 Oct 27, 2010
This country was founded on lies and thievery with a little bit of religion to assuage it all.
All for it

Montgomery, AL

#22 Oct 27, 2010
It would be a Democrat that brings up the attention of something like this. Last time I checked it was called Freedom of speech, press, and religion. However; some political parties think they have the power to lift this right from the American people. And do you know why? Because of people like Holman. Because of people that are ignorant and to quick to jump to conclusions.

The sign is neither directly or in-directly telling people how they should vote come election day. Read it and interpret it how you wish, but please spare us all the wrath of your ignorance again and keep your ASSumptions out of the news.
Reality Check

Yukon, OK

#23 Oct 27, 2010
You guys missed something BIG. The church across the street (I forget the name) has had Mary Fallin, Randy Brogdon, James Lankford, and Scott Pruitt "share their spiritual journey" during a campaign. Not only that, but the pastor openly endorsed John McCain from the pulpit in 2008 to exercise his first amendment right of free speech. Let the sign go and focus on something more serious.
Hmmm

Edmond, OK

#24 Oct 27, 2010
I find it humorous that Ms. Holman is freaking out about a little sign. As if the words on the sign have the power to change her vote. They do not Ms. Holman. However, if God is your guide, He absolutely can...and should. Her reaction tells me that she's being convicted about how she has intended to vote and seeing the truth on the sign just makes her feel guilty.
Jeff

Oklahoma City, OK

#25 Oct 27, 2010
This is just stupid. Why do you feel it necessary to cover this story? There are people getting raped and killed. I see this sign just as the pastor intended. Our world is so blind to everything. These people that find it offensive need to get a life.
michelle fuller

Mustang, OK

#26 Oct 27, 2010
true seperation of church and state we should'nt be having polling place's in church's to begin with.
Anonymous

Edmond, OK

#27 Oct 27, 2010
Citizen Bob wrote:
Which Biblical principles were used to found this country? The Democratic and Representative forms of governing are Greek and Roman inventions. Plus, US Law was derived from British Common Law, which in turn was derived from Roman Law as well as the laws of the Germanic and French tribes.
The bottom line is that religious people needs to stop telling everyone else how to vote.
Well Bob, maybe you didn't read the sign. Which WORD or WORDS are contrary to the Christian (and other) principles upon which this country was founded. I'm surprised you've also bought into this idea that our country was NOT founded on Christian principles. A generation ago, there was no issue in that turism. Do you also believe the Holocaust was a hoax?

Now I've read many of your posts, and you are by no means stupid, and most of what you post I am in agreement with. The real point is that there is nothing Biblical that conflicts with basic good and honest principles that pretty much everyone follows regardless of religious affiliation. If the sign was a billboard along the highway and said something like "Vote for honesty, integrity, kindness towards others, and spirituality" I'll bet no one would react. Well, that's exactly what the sign says. If you object to God having said what it is the sign promotes, then that sounds like a personal problem. And if so, you're not alone. Many simple-minded people fail to look at the message irrespective of who might also endorse it. What part of the sign's message do you disagree with? And if it is "God's Word," then what part of God's word might you disagree. I think people read wayyyyyy too much into things simply because of WHERE it is presented.
Anonymous

Edmond, OK

#28 Oct 27, 2010
"truism"
Jaidi

Edmond, OK

#29 Oct 27, 2010
Where does it say vote Republican or don't vote Democrat. It says vote for true change. That doesn't imply republican or democrat. Someone needs to get over it!
Citizen Bob

Oklahoma City, OK

#30 Oct 27, 2010
not the other chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Bob, maybe you didn't read the sign. Which WORD or WORDS are contrary to the Christian (and other) principles upon which this country was founded. I'm surprised you've also bought into this idea that our country was NOT founded on Christian principles. A generation ago, there was no issue in that turism. Do you also believe the Holocaust was a hoax?
Now I've read many of your posts, and you are by no means stupid, and most of what you post I am in agreement with. The real point is that there is nothing Biblical that conflicts with basic good and honest principles that pretty much everyone follows regardless of religious affiliation. If the sign was a billboard along the highway and said something like "Vote for honesty, integrity, kindness towards others, and spirituality" I'll bet no one would react. Well, that's exactly what the sign says. If you object to God having said what it is the sign promotes, then that sounds like a personal problem. And if so, you're not alone. Many simple-minded people fail to look at the message irrespective of who might also endorse it. What part of the sign's message do you disagree with? And if it is "God's Word," then what part of God's word might you disagree. I think people read wayyyyyy too much into things simply because of WHERE it is presented.
Tell me which Christian principles this country was founded upon. Please don't tell me you're one of those dolts who believes that US law was derived from the 10 Commandments.
Anonymous

Edmond, OK

#31 Oct 27, 2010
Mikep23661 wrote:
This country was founded on lies and thievery with a little bit of religion to assuage it all.
Let's see, do you have an affordable place to live? Enough to eat? A job that YOU chose or, heaven forbid, are part of our generous welfare system? Do you have the freedom to go where you want to? Do you have a car in which to go wherever you choose? Worship who or what you want to worship? Have you ever given back to our country by offering to lay down your life for these benefits that you haven't earned but lucked into?

Yes, this country is pretty bad. Thank you for your criticisms. That was very helpful.
Nancy Williams

Yukon, OK

#32 Oct 27, 2010
What if your 'opinion' offends GOD, Ms. Holman? Your 'opinion' doesn't necessarily make it wrong and is subject to change. I say let it stand - God bless Pastor Rhoads and his congregation for displaying WISDOM.
Anonymous

Edmond, OK

#33 Oct 27, 2010
michelle fuller wrote:
true seperation of church and state we should'nt be having polling place's in church's to begin with.
An old and invalid argument since the Constitution nowhere states a separation of church and state. Aside from that, the "church" is the body of believers. The building where they meet is just a building suitable for anything from worship to bingo to square dancing to voting.
Anonymous

Edmond, OK

#34 Oct 27, 2010
cracker666 wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiots thoughout the "red" states will never figure that one out...but thanks for the reminder!
You know, I think you may have a point. All 77 counties voted conservative in the presidential election. I sure wish we'd had your insight then, since you seem to be one of the few...very VERY few, that claim to have some special enlightenment that the rest of us idiots are missing. It must be difficult to be one of the elite, and gifted individuals, set apart from all the others. Maybe we will eventually find the way...that is with your guidance and patient direction.

The thing I'm confused about, is that under the current administration - the one contrary to what the vast majority of Oklahomans wanted - things have gone from serious to devastating. And we have the worst and most destructive president in the history of our country. How is it that the overwhelming majority of idiots in our state seemed to pick up on what it would be like? Amazing! Just dumb luck, I guess. Keep us posted, though, we don't have the big picture as you probably do.
Justme

United States

#35 Oct 27, 2010
Simple minded people seem to think there is only one "right" way to fix complex problems. This sign, in my opinion, screams
ignorance and intolerance. I would never attend a place where
I suspected the minister had limited cognitive and social skills,which this sign seems to indicate.
Tiffany

Edmond, OK

#36 Oct 27, 2010
I see many church marquees playing off different slogans or quotes and using them for thier own religious purpose- usually just trying to share the word of god with whoever. I dont see anything wrong with this sign (and i'm a democrat and proud supporter of obama. not that that should matter, but I get the play on words they are doing with the word "change" but i dont find it offensive or influential). peope are smart enough to make up thier own minds on who to vote for. just be sure to vote! thats the most important!!
Anonymous

Edmond, OK

#37 Oct 27, 2010
Citizen Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me which Christian principles this country was founded upon. Please don't tell me you're one of those dolts who believes that US law was derived from the 10 Commandments.
Well Bob, look at the 10 Commandments and please explain which are NOT the basis of undamental law? Aside from the fact that the founding fathers incorporated into most every relevant historical document a reference to God, as does every state constitution, common sense and basic historical fact makes evident that we are a Christian nation. And that doesn't mean a Catholic or Baptist country, it means the guiding principles upon which we function are simple and obviously relevant to the 10 Commandments.

If you have a problem with any referencing to something Biblical, just apply common sense, decency, and civility. I'm not going to waste time with yet another elementary history lesson. If you want to ignore or dispute the PRINCIPLES behind our law and the founding of this country or our way of life, blah, blah, blah, you are wasting your time. And, if you object to any mention of religion or principles of a spiritual nature (e.g. the commandments), simply ignore them. Thank you for a civil comment.
Debby

Bethany, OK

#38 Oct 27, 2010
I don't think it's telling anyone anything about who to vote for. It doesn't say "vote repub or go to hell!" or vice versa. It's only saying to vote with your faith in mind. There are Christian dems and Christian repubs, just vote by faith.

I see no problem with the sign, and I wouldn't think anything of it, personally.
Food for thought

Montgomery, AL

#39 Oct 27, 2010
not the other chris wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, I think you may have a point. All 77 counties voted conservative in the presidential election. I sure wish we'd had your insight then, since you seem to be one of the few...very VERY few, that claim to have some special enlightenment that the rest of us idiots are missing. It must be difficult to be one of the elite, and gifted individuals, set apart from all the others. Maybe we will eventually find the way...that is with your guidance and patient direction.
The thing I'm confused about, is that under the current administration - the one contrary to what the vast majority of Oklahomans wanted - things have gone from serious to devastating. And we have the worst and most destructive president in the history of our country. How is it that the overwhelming majority of idiots in our state seemed to pick up on what it would be like? Amazing! Just dumb luck, I guess. Keep us posted, though, we don't have the big picture as you probably do.
Different Slant On The Obama Presidency
One 82-year-old lady loves
Obama and she may have a very good point. She
says that Obama is
amazing, and is rebuilding the American dream! She gives
us an
entirely new slant on the "amazing" job Obama is doing, and she
says
that she will thank God for the President. Keep reading for
her additional
comments and an explanation.
When
discussing Obama, she says:
1. Obama destroyed the Clinton
Political Machine, driving a stake through
the heart of Hillary's
presidential aspirations - something no Republican
was ever able to
do.
2. Obama killed off the Kennedy Dynasty - no more
Kennedys trolling
Washington looking for booze and women wanting rides
home.
3. Obama is destroying the Democratic Party before our
eyes! Dennis
Moore had never lost a race. Evan Bayh had
never lost a race. Byron Dorgan
had never lost a race.
Harry Reid - soon to be GONE! These are just a
handful of the
Democrats whose political careers Obama has destroyed. By
the end
of 2010, dozens more will be gone. Just think, in December of
the
Democrats were on the rise. In the last two election cycles, they
had
picked up 14 Senate seats and 52 House seats. The press was
touting the
death of the Conservative Movement and the Republican
Party. However, in
just one year, Obama put a stop to all of this
and will probably give the
House - if not the Senate - back to the
Republicans.
4. Obama has completely exposed liberals and
progressives for what they
are. Sadly, every generation seems to
need to re-learn the lesson on why
they should never actually put
liberals in charge. Obama is bringing home
the lesson very
well:
Liberals tax, borrow and spend.
Liberals won't
bring themselves to protect America .
Liberals want to take over the
economy.
Liberals think they know what is best for everyone.
Liberals are not happy until they are running YOUR life.
Obama has brought more Americans back to conservatism than anyone
since
Reagan. In one year, he has rejuvenated the Conservative Movement
and
brought out to the streets millions of freedom loving
Americans. Name one
other time when you saw your friends and
neighbors this interested in taking
back America !
6. Obama, with his "amazing leadership," has sparked the greatest
period
of sales of firearms and ammunition this country has seen.
Law abiding
citizens have rallied and have provided a "stimulus" to the
sporting goods
field while other industries have failed, faded, or
moved off-shore.
7. In all honesty, one year ago I was more
afraid than I have been in my
life. Not afraid of the economy,
but afraid of the direction our country
was going I thought,
Americans have forgotten what this country is all
about. My
neighbors and friends, even strangers, have proved to me that my
lack of
confidence in the greatness and wisdom of the American people has
been
flat wrong.
Blondie

Oklahoma City, OK

#40 Oct 27, 2010
Really?
This is news?
what happened to the idea of "ignoring" something if you didn't like it - or if you didn't agree with it?
Put on your big girl panties and vote how you want....That is YOUR right!
All I see the sign saying is: Pray about it first.
Or is there some sort of code I am not getting? Who has the code finder?
And lastly, Its a church for goodness sake....There are already so many restrictions - on what can and can't be done - in fear that someone of a different religion might get their feelings hurt....so now you are saying a CHURCH can't post something that has GOD in it?
Give me a break!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yukon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Carson pledges to fight homelessness amid budge... Wed Putins Glock Holster 6
Randee Beaty is Retarded Wed Randee is Trash 8
News Hobby Lobby to forfeit 5,500 ancient artifacts ... Jul 18 god 2
My voter info Jul 18 tim 4
Angel Tschetter is Fat Now (May '16) Jul 15 HaHa 3
Wendy Teague Dated Child Molester Michael Mann Jul 14 Michael McLemore 1
Are there any white guys in our city that date... (May '11) Jul 14 Windycityman 4

Yukon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Yukon Mortgages