Pastors Reported To IRS For Political Sermons

A group that promotes the separation of church and state has reported two Oklahoma City-area pastors to the Internal Revenue Service for endorsing presidential hopeful John McCain. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Laura

Tulsa, OK

#1 Oct 3, 2008
Praise the Lord! Finally some pastors with spine who tell it like it is!
MR Tamborine Man

Tulsa, OK

#3 Oct 3, 2008
Laura wrote:
Praise the Lord! Finally some pastors with spine who tell it like it is!
Amen sister.
Barbara H Olsen

Claremore, OK

#4 Oct 3, 2008
What to do with those that insist on preaching politics? Keep in mind that Synagouges and Mosques are non-taxable too. Do we really want to have church police from the IRS in our houses of worship? Of course not, so all these preachers, Rabis and Imams should just shut the Ef up when it comes to politics.
fcol

Oklahoma City, OK

#7 Oct 3, 2008
Agree with Barbara Olsen on this subject.
Sadly, way too many people blindly trust the advice and opinions of their pastors and ministers.
They are humans, not God.
Our vote is a "personal" responsibility.
We should each take the time and make the effort to learn all we can about the options and then make a personal choice.

If churches want to dictate public policy, let them pay for the privilege. Revoke tax exempt status for everyone who violates the policy against preaching politics.

I fully support separation of church and state.
Not everyone in this country shares the same religious beliefs and unless that is the case, we cannot have any religious doctrine directing our policies and legislation.

“It's all about the ride..”

Since: Jul 08

Cali

#9 Oct 3, 2008
We need God in our schools, I do know that!!
bri

Waxahachie, TX

#10 Oct 3, 2008
If you want God in the schools, then I want Buddha in the schools. Only fair!
fcol

Oklahoma City, OK

#11 Oct 3, 2008
E Ticket Ride wrote:
We need God in our schools, I do know that!!

Some of us believe that God is everywhere already.

If you want your children to be taught religion and lead in prayer while at school, send them to a private school of your choice.
As a free citizen of this country, that is your right.
Do not expect public schools to conduct bible study and prayers of your choice on the taxpayer dime.

Considering how many different faiths there are in this country, they would have to provide equal time to each and they would no longer have time to teach academics.

Those of you pushing for prayer in school can move your children to a private, parochial school or home-school. Our law does not prevent anyone from praying anywhere and anytime they choose.
Howeverm, it does not afford you the right to force your views onto others.

“Never let your dreams die. ”

Since: Aug 08

Owasso

#12 Oct 3, 2008
I have said this for years. I am so glad someone is finally going to (attempt) to hold them accountable for it. They campaign for politicians run schools sell items but don't have to pay taxes and claim seperation of church and state. I have never seen in my bible a scripture where Jesus sent out one single disciple and said tell the people which candidate to vote for!
custard

United States

#13 Oct 3, 2008
read our constitution,then read a little bit about european religous history in olden times. how about when people were to belong to he catholic church. How about when the king got made at the catholic church and created his own church. People were forced to belong to certain churches. these churches held power over peoples lives, liberty, wealth. this was politics people, church and state one and the same, wedded togather, strolling hand in hand. that is why people left the old world, seeking religous freedom. THE RESON OUR FOREFATHERS HAD FORETHOUGHT TO PUT IN OUR CONSTITUTION THE SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. SO NO COULD CREATE A CHURCH/STATE GOVERMENT IN OUR COUNTRY. THEIR FORTHOUGHT GIVES YOU A CHOICE IN CHOOSING THE RELIGION OF YOUR CHOICE.

“Who dropped the stupid bomb?”

Since: Aug 08

Doghouse

#14 Oct 3, 2008
OkieLinduh wrote:
I have said this for years. I am so glad someone is finally going to (attempt) to hold them accountable for it. They campaign for politicians run schools sell items but don't have to pay taxes and claim seperation of church and state. I have never seen in my bible a scripture where Jesus sent out one single disciple and said tell the people which candidate to vote for!
Bravo !!
Raymond

Broken Arrow, OK

#15 Oct 3, 2008
E Ticket Ride wrote:
We need God in our schools, I do know that!!
No we don't.

“It's all about the ride..”

Since: Jul 08

Cali

#16 Oct 3, 2008
fcol wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of us believe that God is everywhere already.
If you want your children to be taught religion and lead in prayer while at school, send them to a private school of your choice.
As a free citizen of this country, that is your right.
Do not expect public schools to conduct bible study and prayers of your choice on the taxpayer dime.
Considering how many different faiths there are in this country, they would have to provide equal time to each and they would no longer have time to teach academics.
Those of you pushing for prayer in school can move your children to a private, parochial school or home-school. Our law does not prevent anyone from praying anywhere and anytime they choose.
Howeverm, it does not afford you the right to force your views onto others.
I did, thats why they attend Catholic school...
One nation under God..free to say that all day long!!

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#23 Oct 3, 2008
If Islam or Hinduism was the primary religion of our country, would the Christians want that to be taught and worshipped in public schools? I don't think so.

You cannot force any one religion on children. That is the reason for separation of church and state.
Anti Palin American

United States

#25 Oct 3, 2008
E Ticket Ride wrote:
We need God in our schools, I do know that!!
Who's god? Your god? Seperation of Church and State!
John Stedman

United States

#26 Oct 3, 2008
That is not right too report them it is time we as people of god come first you people on the left.Have been running things too long if we do not start too hear the voice of god soon we will have a real bad time here in the U.S.A. if you think it is bad now take god out of every thing and just see how bad it gets we need a man of god running things and not someone who would take god off are money and out of all things we need god more then people who do not know him.so that is why I will vote for Mr John Mccain thank-you Mr John
Stedman
Barbara H Olsen

Claremore, OK

#27 Oct 3, 2008
John Stedman wrote:
That is not right too report them it is time we as people of god come first you people on the left.Have been running things too long if we do not start too hear the voice of god soon we will have a real bad time here in the U.S.A. if you think it is bad now take god out of every thing and just see how bad it gets we need a man of god running things and not someone who would take god off are money and out of all things we need god more then people who do not know him.so that is why I will vote for Mr John Mccain thank-you Mr John
Stedman
What exactly does this rant mean? Your going to vote for John McCain because you believe someone else would take your God off of 'are' money and out of everything. "If we do not hear the voice of God soon we will have a real a real bad time of it here in the USA."? What are you so afraid of?

“Expecting baby # 3”

Since: Jun 08

Tulsa, Ok

#28 Oct 3, 2008
Separation of church and state is only fair!!!

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#29 Oct 3, 2008
Churches have NO business in politics. God doesn't care who is President here. As far as God is concerned He is President of All.

It is made clear to churches that they lose their tax exemption if they do involve themselves in politics. The individuals that go to church can have an opinion, but NOT the church. That's the rules, if you don't like it, don't ask for tax exemption.

“Never let your dreams die. ”

Since: Aug 08

Owasso

#30 Oct 3, 2008
If you believe in God and you are in the school or in the white house or in the rest room then isn't God there? No one is asking anyone to remove God from anything here the issue is whether or not churches should be able to be involved in politics while still remaining tax exempt. Churches need to focus on teaching the Word of God, that is what they are given a tax exempt status to do. But if they want to run businesses have a voice in government issues etc then they need to call themselves something other than a church and pay taxes like the rest of us do.

“Don't harsh my mellow, man!”

Since: Aug 08

Great State of Oklahoma!

#31 Oct 3, 2008
OkieLinduh wrote:
If you believe in God and you are in the school or in the white house or in the rest room then isn't God there? No one is asking anyone to remove God from anything here the issue is whether or not churches should be able to be involved in politics while still remaining tax exempt. Churches need to focus on teaching the Word of God, that is what they are given a tax exempt status to do. But if they want to run businesses have a voice in government issues etc then they need to call themselves something other than a church and pay taxes like the rest of us do.
I think you make a lot of sense. Thank you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yukon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alisa Bermudez 10 hr JamaJelli 4
ive got subutexs 12 hr Just Saying 16
Review: Superior Exterior 12 hr janewalters 2
snapchat usernames! (Nov '13) Tue glee_nerd13 318
Karen L. Janbaz, Anti-Law Enforcement Race Baiter Tue Packing Heat 36
Safe Room Tue Steven Byrd 1
Okla City Safe Rooms Tornado Shelters Tue Steven Byrd 1
Yukon Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Yukon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:07 pm PST

NBC Sports 9:07PM
Dallas County D.A. has Wal-Mart police report
NFL 6:14 AM
Stephen Jones: I think Murray wants to stay in Dallas
Yahoo! Sports12:24 PM
Cowboys re-sign RFA WR Beasley
Bleacher Report 4:08 PM
Keith Rivers to Cowboys: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
NFL 4:17 PM
Keith Rivers signs one-year contract with Cowboys