First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fan

Jefferson, GA

#1 Mar 18, 2013
I went to the Towns vs Hayesville game Saturday. What a joke. Hayesville has a good team. Towns County looked like a little league team. What happened to TC Baseball? We won a State Championship in 1986 and have always had pretty good teams.
I'm not kidding when I say they looked horrible. The pitchers form and delivery was wrong. The hitters used no leg drive, all arms. Nobody can hit. Poorly coached. No basic baseball is being taught.
Hayesville played their Freshmen and subs all game or it would have been over in three innings. Does anyone care?
answer

Tucker, GA

#2 Mar 18, 2013
Fan wrote:
I went to the Towns vs Hayesville game Saturday. What a joke. Hayesville has a good team. Towns County looked like a little league team. What happened to TC Baseball? We won a State Championship in 1986 and have always had pretty good teams.
I'm not kidding when I say they looked horrible. The pitchers form and delivery was wrong. The hitters used no leg drive, all arms. Nobody can hit. Poorly coached. No basic baseball is being taught.
Hayesville played their Freshmen and subs all game or it would have been over in three innings. Does anyone care?
NO
Joe Sports

United States

#3 Mar 18, 2013
The simple truth is the head coach lacked experience when he was given the job and he lacks the personality and maturity to be a head coach. Everything is serious for him. When you remove all the fun from sports, kids stop playing. He doomed himself and TC baseball for the next few years his first year as head coach. Played a bunch of kids who didn't deserve to play. He ignored blatant drug use, didn't give his young players any playing time and tried to show everyone what a tough man coach he was. The next year nobody went out for the team. He has done nothing to build a baseball program in TC. No summer team, no community work. No youth work. The assistant coach has personality but zero baseball knowledge. He is useless except for an occasional joke.
These kids have not been taught basic baseball skills in middle school or high school. They can't pitch, throw, field or hit because their mechanics are all wrong. Some of the kids are good athletes who were never taught correctly.
I was at the game Saturday too. Towns County lacks hitters and the coach won't teach them to bunt, steal and play small ball to score a few runs. The three runs they scored Saturday against the worst players on Hayesville's team doubled their run total for the year. The coaching errors on third base this year have cost the team a half dozen runs and maybe a game.
In fairness to Towns County their two best players were absent Saturday. It would not have mattered. The team lacks spirit, confidence and basic baseball skill. That won't change until there is an experienced coach running the team.
I watched the boys basketball team struggle the past two years because of poor coaching. Hiring young inexperienced people (like our new Principal) is a recipe for failure.
I spoke with several of the Hayesville parents Saturday. They said the father of our coach (who does and excellent job) is their teams coach and some were considering hiring our current head coach to replace him when he retires. I doubt that happens now that they know the truth. Just because you have the same last name doesn't make you a coach.
Baseball might be the most difficult sport to play for kids. There is no place to hide if you can't hit, field or throw. Baseball requires you to think every play. Most kids would rather hide in a group or behind momma and blame other when they fail. Baseball requires you to stand alone. Like wrestling, golf or tennis. Kids who are not afraid to stand alone and fail sometimes, make much better leaders than kids who hide in a pack and blame others for their lack of skill and motivation to get better. My hat is off to all the kids on the TC team who are willing to take that chance and play America's game.
no way

Birmingham, AL

#4 Mar 19, 2013
Your not much of a fan it was1988 when the state championship was won.
Notfromhere

Cleveland, GA

#5 Mar 19, 2013
Joe Sports wrote:
The simple truth is the head coach lacked experience when he was given the job and he lacks the personality and maturity to be a head coach. Everything is serious for him. When you remove all the fun from sports, kids stop playing. He doomed himself and TC baseball for the next few years his first year as head coach. Played a bunch of kids who didn't deserve to play. He ignored blatant drug use, didn't give his young players any playing time and tried to show everyone what a tough man coach he was. The next year nobody went out for the team. He has done nothing to build a baseball program in TC. No summer team, no community work. No youth work. The assistant coach has personality but zero baseball knowledge. He is useless except for an occasional joke.
These kids have not been taught basic baseball skills in middle school or high school. They can't pitch, throw, field or hit because their mechanics are all wrong. Some of the kids are good athletes who were never taught correctly.
I was at the game Saturday too. Towns County lacks hitters and the coach won't teach them to bunt, steal and play small ball to score a few runs. The three runs they scored Saturday against the worst players on Hayesville's team doubled their run total for the year. The coaching errors on third base this year have cost the team a half dozen runs and maybe a game.

In fairness to Towns County their two best players were absent Saturday. It would not have mattered. The team lacks spirit, confidence and basic baseball skill. That won't change until there is an experienced coach running the team.
I watched the boys basketball team struggle the past two years because of poor coaching. Hiring young inexperienced people (like our new Principal) is a recipe for failure.
I spoke with several of the Hayesville parents Saturday. They said the father of our coach (who does and excellent job) is their teams coach and some were considering hiring our current head coach to replace him when he retires. I doubt that happens now that they know the truth. Just because you have the same last name doesn't make you a coach.
Baseball might be the most difficult sport to play for kids. There is no place to hide if you can't hit, field or throw. Baseball requires you to think every play. Most kids would rather hide in a group or behind momma and blame other when they fail. Baseball requires you to stand alone. Like wrestling, golf or tennis. Kids who are not afraid to stand alone and fail sometimes, make much better leaders than kids who hide in a pack and blame others for their lack of skill and motivation to get better. My hat is off to all the kids on the TC team who are willing to take that chance and play America's game.
Writer boy have you lost your mind? The two best players? The team only has one player that stands out as being a good baseball player and he was in his position as usual. Don't bash the coach or the new principal (you're becoming repetive in your writings). A coach can only do so much with so little talent. Find something productive to design...baseball is not your game nor is choosing a principal that will lead.
Nope

Jefferson, GA

#6 Mar 19, 2013
Notfromhere wrote:
<quoted text>
Writer boy have you lost your mind? The two best players? The team only has one player that stands out as being a good baseball player and he was in his position as usual. Don't bash the coach or the new principal (you're becoming repetive in your writings). A coach can only do so much with so little talent. Find something productive to design...baseball is not your game nor is choosing a principal that will lead.
I went to the Union game at YHC. I didn't see anyone that could hit, throw or field their position. Everyone in the stands knew the pitcher was done in the 5th or 6th but it took the coach five more batters to pull him. One of the YHC coaches standing next to me said The kid is done, what is he waiting for" That's poor baseball.
If there is no talent to work with the coach should have been building the program six years ago when he was middle school coach. He has worked with most of these boys for over six years now. That's a fact.
Don't know a thing about the new principal, but I know the position should have been advertised before it was given to a friends boy. That's poor management.
If you think differently good for you. You are simply wrong or sticking up for a friend.
Notfromhere

Cleveland, GA

#7 Mar 19, 2013
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>I went to the Union game at YHC. I didn't see anyone that could hit, throw or field their position. Everyone in the stands knew the pitcher was done in the 5th or 6th but it took the coach five more batters to pull him. One of the YHC coaches standing next to me said The kid is done, what is he waiting for" That's poor baseball.
If there is no talent to work with the coach should have been building the program six years ago when he was middle school coach. He has worked with most of these boys for over six years now. That's a fact.
Don't know a thing about the new principal, but I know the position should have been advertised before it was given to a friends boy. That's poor management.
If you think differently good for you. You are simply wrong or sticking up for a friend.
Are you saying the high school coach used to be the middle school coach?
From here

Jefferson, GA

#8 Mar 20, 2013
Notfromhere wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying the high school coach used to be the middle school coach?
He was the middle school coach in 2008. Then JV then Asst Varsity then head coach. His first class of kids he coached from middle to Varsity would have been 2011. I think they won 4 games that year. Last year they won one. Plenty of time to build a program.
Time to try something different.
Baseball Game

Jefferson, GA

#9 Mar 20, 2013
I went to see for myself. I want to say something positive. Nobody got hurt.
What I witnessed was just as it has been stated here. A very poorly coached baseball team.
The third base coach sent the runner with the second baseman holding the ball, with bases loaded and the number 3 hitter up. At that time it was a tie game. He was out by three steps. It killed the teams spirit and cost them the game. In the bottom of the 7th trailing by 10 and bases loaded with his number 4 hitter up, he sent the runner with the shortstop holding the ball. He was out by 5 steps. In the same inning a throw down went to center field. Because the third base coach and first base coach were watching the game and not coaching, the runners failed to advance. The first base coach spent more time jumping up and down with his hands on his head then coaching first. He cost them a run or two.
The catcher from Hiawassee Dam had a very weak arm. Towns County stole one base all night. They could have gone in standing up every time. Towns County did not bunt once. One kid did fake a bunt once. Hiawassee Dam bunted and moved the runners like you should in a tight game. They stole four bases. One on the catcher and three on the pitcher. The TC catcher has an above average release and a average arm, but the pitchers gave him no chance three of the times. Hiawassee Dam could have stolen several more late in the game, but held up with a ten run lead.
The first Pitcher threw a lot of strikes. Even when way ahead. He lacks a fastball that he can throw by people but kept trying to when he got ahead. I don't know if it was a pitch calling problem or a control problem but you don't throw a ball down the middle with two strikes on the batter and no balls. The first TC pitcher did it three times. He only gave up one earned run in 6 1/3 . A long home run. The relief pitcher gave up one earned run in 1 2/3 and looked OK from the wind up. His stretch was horrible. Big leg kick and long delivery. Runners stole every time they got on. That is a coaching issue. Not the kids fault. Teach him right or don't pitch him. Towns County only gave up two earned runs all game. That is a positive.
Towns County had 15 errors by my count. That does not include the four pop fly's to Right field that should have been easy outs. Again, do they practice fly balls? Because it did not look like it.
None of the infield backed up the play correctly. Nobody took control of the infield. There is no leadership on this team. Throws from the outfield went all over. The outfielder never broke on a fly ball until it was coming down.
The infield booted all but three ground balls, two of those they threw wild. Again, do they work situation baseball or take infield, because it sure didn't look like it. The third baseman fielded his position well and had one of the four hits TC managed in 30 at bats. There were at least 8 third strike looking outs. Those kids should still be running.
I am not going to say this is the most athletic team I have ever watched play the game. Neither was the other team. But they hit the ball, fielded over 90% and didn't make a base running error. They were well coached. Their dugout was loud and proud. Towns County's was for the most part quiet all night. Someone needs to light a fire under those boys. I can understand why parents are upset. I didn't go expecting to see the Braves. I did not expect things to be as bad as what was posted here. What I witnessed was worse. It is not the kids fault. They have obviously not been taught basic baseball skills.
The truth

Phenix City, AL

#10 Mar 20, 2013
Baseball game,you must be one poor pathetic jock sniffing loser to break down a kids ball game to that degree. It's no wonder we graduate a bunch of idiots and morons every year with people like you so obsessed with a freakin ball game.
Pitcher Parent

Jefferson, GA

#11 Mar 21, 2013
Baseball Game wrote:
I went to see for myself. I want to say something positive. Nobody got hurt.
What I witnessed was just as it has been stated here. A very poorly coached baseball team.
The third base coach sent the runner with the second baseman holding the ball, with bases loaded and the number 3 hitter up. At that time it was a tie game. He was out by three steps. It killed the teams spirit and cost them the game. In the bottom of the 7th trailing by 10 and bases loaded with his number 4 hitter up, he sent the runner with the shortstop holding the ball. He was out by 5 steps. In the same inning a throw down went to center field. Because the third base coach and first base coach were watching the game and not coaching, the runners failed to advance. The first base coach spent more time jumping up and down with his hands on his head then coaching first. He cost them a run or two.
The catcher from Hiawassee Dam had a very weak arm. Towns County stole one base all night. They could have gone in standing up every time. Towns County did not bunt once. One kid did fake a bunt once. Hiawassee Dam bunted and moved the runners like you should in a tight game. They stole four bases. One on the catcher and three on the pitcher. The TC catcher has an above average release and a average arm, but the pitchers gave him no chance three of the times. Hiawassee Dam could have stolen several more late in the game, but held up with a ten run lead.
The first Pitcher threw a lot of strikes. Even when way ahead. He lacks a fastball that he can throw by people but kept trying to when he got ahead. I don't know if it was a pitch calling problem or a control problem but you don't throw a ball down the middle with two strikes on the batter and no balls. The first TC pitcher did it three times. He only gave up one earned run in 6 1/3 . A long home run. The relief pitcher gave up one earned run in 1 2/3 and looked OK from the wind up. His stretch was horrible. Big leg kick and long delivery. Runners stole every time they got on. That is a coaching issue. Not the kids fault. Teach him right or don't pitch him. Towns County only gave up two earned runs all game. That is a positive.
Towns County had 15 errors by my count. That does not include the four pop fly's to Right field that should have been easy outs. Again, do they practice fly balls? Because it did not look like it.
None of the infield backed up the play correctly. Nobody took control of the infield. There is no leadership on this team. Throws from the outfield went all over. The outfielder never broke on a fly ball until it was coming down.
The infield booted all but three ground balls, two of those they threw wild. Again, do they work situation baseball or take infield, because it sure didn't look like it. The third baseman fielded his position well and had one of the four hits TC managed in 30 at bats. There were at least 8 third strike looking outs. Those kids should still be running.
I was at the game too. Your assessment is correct but uncalled for. Everyone who has kids on that field or has attended a game knows the problem. The kids don't need to read it here. The pitcher who lacks a fastball is a straight A student who is attending UGA to become an engineer. Baseball is a game to him. Since you seem to like keeping score, he will graduate in three years and plans to go to Columbia university to earn his MBA. Then he will earn more than you ever have in your pathetic life. In life's score book, he is the winner.
player

Cleveland, GA

#12 Mar 26, 2013
I am a player for towns county. You my friend are a complete dumbass and have a smelly snatch.
Question

Commerce, GA

#13 Mar 27, 2013
player wrote:
I am a player for towns county. You my friend are a complete dumbass and have a smelly snatch.
Is that anyway to talk about your mother?
striker

Jefferson, GA

#14 Mar 27, 2013
The truth wrote:
Baseball game,you must be one poor pathetic jock sniffing loser to break down a kids ball game to that degree. It's no wonder we graduate a bunch of idiots and morons every year with people like you so obsessed with a freakin ball game.
They got rid of the boys basketball coach..who is next.
no way

Birmingham, AL

#15 Mar 27, 2013
Football coach
concerned

Sylacauga, AL

#16 Apr 30, 2013
striker wrote:
<quoted text>
They got rid of the boys basketball coach..who is next.
so,are the baseball coaches staying?
Probably

Commerce, GA

#17 May 1, 2013
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
so,are the baseball coaches staying?
Probably, he was hired three years ago with little or no coaching experience and was not qualified to be a head varsity coach. He has failed miserably. The decision to keep him will rest with a Principal who was hired by his mommy's friend who has little or no administrative experience and is not qualified to be a Principal. Get ready for lots of bad decisions.
Unless they search for loser teams to play next season like in football they will be lucky to win a game. The catcher is the only kid that can play varsity level ball. Half the Freshmen this year will quit or move like the last three years. The incoming Freshman will get their fill of poor coaching and losing and half will quit their Sophomore year and the other half their Junior year like the past three years.
I hope he does stay. I am moving my kids to Hayesville Schools and sure don't want him up there trying to fill daddy's shoes.
Parent

Commerce, GA

#18 May 3, 2013
Probably wrote:
<quoted text>Probably, he was hired three years ago with little or no coaching experience and was not qualified to be a head varsity coach. He has failed miserably. The decision to keep him will rest with a Principal who was hired by his mommy's friend who has little or no administrative experience and is not qualified to be a Principal. Get ready for lots of bad decisions.
Unless they search for loser teams to play next season like in football they will be lucky to win a game. The catcher is the only kid that can play varsity level ball. Half the Freshmen this year will quit or move like the last three years. The incoming Freshman will get their fill of poor coaching and losing and half will quit their Sophomore year and the other half their Junior year like the past three years.
I hope he does stay. I am moving my kids to Hayesville Schools and sure don't want him up there trying to fill daddy's shoes.
Last night at the banquet several parents told me their boys would not play for the Coach again. Now that Langford is gone there is nobody on staff except Moss with any baseball coaching ability. Of the three Seniors next year one can't pitch, field or throw, one is not playing again unless there is a new coach and the other has enough talent to catch at the next level if he transfers to a school that has a real baseball program.
There is no talent in next years Junior class. Only one mouthy punk. Next years Sophomore class have one or two with some talent but they will quit or move. The incoming Freshman are average. Everyone thinks because they won some middle school games they will be good. The truth is the last five middle school teams have been great. Three of the five won more games than this years team. Then the Varsity coach gets them and the losing starts. Baseball in TC is doomed without a change at the top.
interesting

Birmingham, AL

#19 May 3, 2013
Who is coaching football next year?
Joe Sports

United States

#20 May 3, 2013
interesting wrote:
Who is coaching football next year?
Hopefully not the baseball coach. Make the sign L

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Young Harris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor's Salary 6 hr No Help 26
Worst steak ever. What happened Horrible cust... 13 hr MMA FIGHTER 13
Satanic church opening up soon (Jun '14) 13 hr MMA FIGHTER 95
Rib Country Waitress 17 hr really 115
Emc Board resigned? 17 hr Question 1
Colwell Detention Center (Oct '11) Sat Des 62
need "good" heating and air conditioning service (Sep '09) Fri Coralou Bramblett 54

Young Harris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Young Harris Mortgages