Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Sore Losers wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, and the voters do not want a poker dealer/card shark and part time bartender to run the county. Hell, no one even knows where he came from, where he went to high school, we can only guess he is not college educated. No references from former employers or anyone in the care repair business that even knows him. No involvement with the community, no interest in Union County. The man was looking for a paycheck, he is unemployed. This could have been a real nightmare for Union County. Lucky we have voters educated on the candidates and well informed voters.
Do you not agree,that the country as a whole is on the brink of disaster.no jobs no tax revenue ,growing debt,along with no hope of any change in the near future.Well so much for the college educated leaders we now have in place,guess they have so much education ,that they don't have the ability to lead!!!!!
Local Boy

Cleveland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Wimpie wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what concerned me about Rich, too.
Even after his campaign, there is little known about him.
Until he decided to run for office, Rich's claim to fame was the lodge. I still believe that the Republicans and people at the lodge saw this as a way to get Sunday alcohol sales and other things the community really doesn't want. Lord, Blairsville doesn't need to end up like Murphy! I know some of the people who were behind Rich's campaign. They do not have the best interest of Union County at heart. Most were Floridians and others hated Lamar for whatever reason. I'm glad Lamar was re-elected and we can move on with progress in UC. I know Lamar well enough to be able to say that it'll be a cold day in hell before he is "investigated" or any of the lame accusations against him become an issue for Lamar or the county.
Good job, Lamar.
Mason wouldn't have won, either, if he hadn't been around these parts when he was a trooper.
I'm not from Florida and I was against Paris. He is a lying thieving and self indulgent fool and he is already under investigation fool. You wouldn't know what the present century looked liked because you are lost in the past with you good buddy there. Build a few more monuments while you can.
Yup

Snellville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Local Boy wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not from Florida and I was against Paris. He is a lying thieving and self indulgent fool and he is already under investigation fool. You wouldn't know what the present century looked liked because you are lost in the past with you good buddy there. Build a few more monuments while you can.
It's amazing that these fools think their "chosen ones" are above the law. The reckoning has already started and they are too ignorant to see it. Maybe when the handcuffs go on their eyes will get opened.
Local Boy

Cleveland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Yup wrote:
<quoted text>It's amazing that these fools think their "chosen ones" are above the law. The reckoning has already started and they are too ignorant to see it. Maybe when the handcuffs go on their eyes will get opened.
It's a shame they can't slap the cuffs on West while they are at it for helping to cover up all his law breaking.
cover girl

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Farce wrote:
<quoted text>Do you not agree,that the country as a whole is on the brink of disaster.no jobs no tax revenue ,growing debt,along with no hope of any change in the near future.Well so much for the college educated leaders we now have in place,guess they have so much education ,that they don't have the ability to lead!!!!!
That is Obama leading the USA!
There are jobs here but people don't want to work.
cover girl

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

What investigation?
Bet you can't name one.
Say it again

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Snob wrote:
<quoted text>
Rich wasn't qualified and people knew it. Correct. The only people who bitch about Lamar are right here on topix.
No experience what so ever did Rich have.
Say it again

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Wimpie wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what concerned me about Rich, too.
Even after his campaign, there is little known about him.
Until he decided to run for office, Rich's claim to fame was the lodge. I still believe that the Republicans and people at the lodge saw this as a way to get Sunday alcohol sales and other things the community really doesn't want. Lord, Blairsville doesn't need to end up like Murphy! I know some of the people who were behind Rich's campaign. They do not have the best interest of Union County at heart. Most were Floridians and others hated Lamar for whatever reason. I'm glad Lamar was re-elected and we can move on with progress in UC. I know Lamar well enough to be able to say that it'll be a cold day in hell before he is "investigated" or any of the lame accusations against him become an issue for Lamar or the county.
Good job, Lamar.
Mason wouldn't have won, either, if he hadn't been around these parts when he was a trooper.
Voter's in Union County are too smart turn over the county and their future to an unknown.
Farce

Blue Ridge, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Say it again wrote:
<quoted text>
Voter's in Union County are too smart turn over the county and their future to an unknown.
Wrong!he doubled everones taxes With an re-apprasiel,a few years back and the stupid voters re-elected him,I guess that is being smart.
Local Boy

Cleveland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

If someone who was honest and was known in the county and was willing to take on the big money boys had ran, Paris would have been left at the starting line. Most people who voted for Paris weren't voting for him but were voting against someone who was unknown. Paris has a hard road to travel this next term. We now have a Sheriff who has the authority and the will power to look over his shoulder to see what is or isn't against the law. Paris didn't win the election. Rich lost it.
Right on

Conyers, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Local Boy wrote:
If someone who was honest and was known in the county and was willing to take on the big money boys had ran, Paris would have been left at the starting line. Most people who voted for Paris weren't voting for him but were voting against someone who was unknown. Paris has a hard road to travel this next term. We now have a Sheriff who has the authority and the will power to look over his shoulder to see what is or isn't against the law. Paris didn't win the election. Rich lost it.
If the coverup of the theft at the Rec. dept. is properly investigated we wont have to worry about him running another term. There is a new Sheriff in town boys!
My Opinion

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Right on wrote:
<quoted text>If the coverup of the theft at the Rec. dept. is properly investigated we wont have to worry about him running another term. There is a new Sheriff in town boys!
Nothing would make my day better than to see Lamar Paris investigated and exposed for the things he has done with our (tax payers)money, without the approval of the voters. If ever there was a need for a County Council and County Manager form of Government -Union County, Georgia is it. The way Paris has choosen to spend SPLOST revenue way in excess of what the VOTERS approved is sickening. Then he has the audacity to tell us if we don't vote in favor of another SPLOST our taxes are going to go up...way up. Rich lost because he ran a clean campaign. If Mr. Rich had exposed Lamar like Mason exposed Stephens we would have a new Commissioner. When the local paper is nothing but a propaganda machine for the powers that be, an honest man has no chance. When Paris is able to promote himself each week by answering questions he makes up he is able to spin things just about any way he wants. Good going Lamar Paris, what a joke.
Local Boy

Cleveland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

My Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing would make my day better than to see Lamar Paris investigated and exposed for the things he has done with our (tax payers)money, without the approval of the voters. If ever there was a need for a County Council and County Manager form of Government -Union County, Georgia is it. The way Paris has choosen to spend SPLOST revenue way in excess of what the VOTERS approved is sickening. Then he has the audacity to tell us if we don't vote in favor of another SPLOST our taxes are going to go up...way up. Rich lost because he ran a clean campaign. If Mr. Rich had exposed Lamar like Mason exposed Stephens we would have a new Commissioner. When the local paper is nothing but a propaganda machine for the powers that be, an honest man has no chance. When Paris is able to promote himself each week by answering questions he makes up he is able to spin things just about any way he wants. Good going Lamar Paris, what a joke.
I was not saying that Rich lost the race through any failures but that Paris did not win because the people of the county believe his lies and support him. The simple truth is that Rich was unknown and people were afraid to turn our county over to someone they have never heard of. 4500 people decided to vote for him in spite of the fact he was unknown. That in itself is almost a miracle. Not taking from Rich just will not give Paris any credit toward his win. He certainly doesn't deserve it and the people of Union County certainly deserve better. Wonder how many of those dog sweaters he wears are the same color?
My Opinion

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Local Boy wrote:
<quoted text>I was not saying that Rich lost the race through any failures but that Paris did not win because the people of the county believe his lies and support him. The simple truth is that Rich was unknown and people were afraid to turn our county over to someone they have never heard of. 4500 people decided to vote for him in spite of the fact he was unknown. That in itself is almost a miracle. Not taking from Rich just will not give Paris any credit toward his win. He certainly doesn't deserve it and the people of Union County certainly deserve better. Wonder how many of those dog sweaters he wears are the same color?
Local Boy we agree about Union County folk deserving better than Lamar Paris. I met Mr. Rich 7 or 8 years ago and I have always found him to be an HONEST caring person. Mr. Rich retired from a multi-million dollar company where he worked in a management staff position. While he has had no experience in local government I still thought he was a better choice. Perhaps if he had been able to ask himself questions each week in the local paper the voting polulace would have gotten to know him better. I keep hearing about him and the private retreat/restaurant and I guess people will sling mud if that is all they have to sling. Mr. Rich never stood a chance because of the local paper giving Paris almost a full year of free advertising in the Q&A section each week. Personally, I believe that State and Federal Law has been broken by giving Paris this space for free after he announced he was a candidate for Commissioner. It's not that local people were afraid to turn over the reigns to someone unknown many believe he has done a good job. Now why is that? It is because they have been fed lies and inaccuracies since he decided he was going to do things his way and be held accountable to none. If all people ever read is the millage is near the lowest in the State, they think they are better off than those Counties with a higher milage rate. What they haven't been told is the property valuation is way higher than the true market value so in relatity the are paying more taxes than they should be paying. Reminds me of the old bait and switch of conmen.

Unless people go back a few years and research what they agreed to by voting in SPLOST they may think everythink is peachy keen. Well guess what things are not peachy keen. People never voted for a 7 million dollar golf clubhouse that the average person will never be able to afford except to play a round of golf or eat at the restaurant. People who do not own horses or belong to the Horse Arena crowd are getting used by the deliberate spending of SPLOST tax dollars my a margin of nearly 6 to 1 over what was approved by the voters. Meeks park is about the only expenditure benefits the entire community but even that was done inappropriately.

Things will eventually float to the surface, sometimes it just takes a flood to dislodge the hidden timber at the bottom of the river. So until the flood we do not have a Commissioner I feel is for the people who want a multi-commissioner form of government and more transpareny in Union County Government.
Lets do it

Newnan, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

My Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Local Boy we agree about Union County folk deserving better than Lamar Paris. I met Mr. Rich 7 or 8 years ago and I have always found him to be an HONEST caring person. Mr. Rich retired from a multi-million dollar company where he worked in a management staff position. While he has had no experience in local government I still thought he was a better choice. Perhaps if he had been able to ask himself questions each week in the local paper the voting polulace would have gotten to know him better. I keep hearing about him and the private retreat/restaurant and I guess people will sling mud if that is all they have to sling. Mr. Rich never stood a chance because of the local paper giving Paris almost a full year of free advertising in the Q&A section each week. Personally, I believe that State and Federal Law has been broken by giving Paris this space for free after he announced he was a candidate for Commissioner. It's not that local people were afraid to turn over the reigns to someone unknown many believe he has done a good job. Now why is that? It is because they have been fed lies and inaccuracies since he decided he was going to do things his way and be held accountable to none. If all people ever read is the millage is near the lowest in the State, they think they are better off than those Counties with a higher milage rate. What they haven't been told is the property valuation is way higher than the true market value so in relatity the are paying more taxes than they should be paying. Reminds me of the old bait and switch of conmen.
Unless people go back a few years and research what they agreed to by voting in SPLOST they may think everythink is peachy keen. Well guess what things are not peachy keen. People never voted for a 7 million dollar golf clubhouse that the average person will never be able to afford except to play a round of golf or eat at the restaurant. People who do not own horses or belong to the Horse Arena crowd are getting used by the deliberate spending of SPLOST tax dollars my a margin of nearly 6 to 1 over what was approved by the voters. Meeks park is about the only expenditure benefits the entire community but even that was done inappropriately.
Things will eventually float to the surface, sometimes it just takes a flood to dislodge the hidden timber at the bottom of the river. So until the flood we do not have a Commissioner I feel is for the people who want a multi-commissioner form of government and more transpareny in Union County Government.
R-E-C-A-L-L !!
cover girl

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

cover girl wrote:
What investigation?
Bet you can't name one.
Sunday I asked "What investigation?"

If there was one, people wouldn't be able to keep their fingers from tearing up their keyboard to discuss it.

SO, I'm to assume THERE IS NO INVESTIGATION.
cover girl

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Local Boy wrote:
I'm amazed how people see things. I voted for Paris because I like him. Most people I know voted for Paris because they like him.

I will say that those of us who like Paris made sure we made it to the polls so an incompetent person wasn't elected, but we still like Paris.

Mason will have no authority over Paris. Mason works for Paris.
Keep that in mind as you glorify Mack Mason. He will learn who butters his bread and that's Lamar.
cover girl

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Local Boy wrote:
<quoted text>I was not saying that Rich lost the race through any failures but that Paris did not win because the people of the county believe his lies and support him. The simple truth is that Rich was unknown and people were afraid to turn our county over to someone they have never heard of. 4500 people decided to vote for him in spite of the fact he was unknown. That in itself is almost a miracle. Not taking from Rich just will not give Paris any credit toward his win. He certainly doesn't deserve it and the people of Union County certainly deserve better. Wonder how many of those dog sweaters he wears are the same color?
You are missing one important point. A lot of people vote according to party lines - often a straight ticket. I don't. Locally, I vote for the people I like despite their political party.
Observer

Gillsville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Sorry Cover Girl but Mason works for the people of Union County. He is a constitutional officer so the Commissioner has no say over him other than the total budget the Sheriff's office is allocated out of the total County Budget.
cover girl

Dawsonville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Additionally, the paper can't be held accountable anymore than ABC, NBC, CBS, and other media outlets who supported Obama and didn't expose or write anything negative about him prior to the election. Obama used the media to his advantage.
There is nothing wrong with that.

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth, people. First, people criticize the paper for supporting Lamar and allowing the Q&A - BUT it is acceptable for Mason to use the paper and attempt to use the DA and Grand Jury to take down Scott.

You can't have it both ways.

Rich had the opportunity to place political ads in the paper. Instead, he used money for billboards that were not helpful.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Young Harris Discussions

Search the Young Harris Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 27 min silverfox 49,727
The School and Ms. Williams 58 min RIght on 9
Welcome to Hiawassee . Our trash is your treasure 1 hr Welcome 28
Smell at 76 and 75 ( road down to Helen)? 2 hr The WB 2
Funny numbers 9 hr numbers 4
Republican Primary runoff 9 hr hey 11
Local banks in Blairsville 10 hr retired smart investor 46
•••
•••

Young Harris News Video

•••
•••

Young Harris Jobs