think about it

Chagrin Falls, OH

#23 Jan 22, 2013
if they don't accept foodstamps.. Some people wont like these shops
Obit

Young Harris, GA

#24 Jan 23, 2013
turniptown wrote:
Thrift stores do help local communities during these hard economic times.
Except in the poorest of poor counties and cities, a majority of cities and towns all across America are beginning to see a (recovery) light at the end of the tunnel. Stocks are up, unemployment down, more jobs are finally being created, many companies are expanding and others are coming back to America....

In Towns County, that light is an on-coming freight train!

The housing industry here will NEVER come back, at least not in our lifetime, and that's all Towns had or will ever have. It's moment in the sun has forever dimmed and it squandered the opportunities it briefly afforded.

Get used to it, get used to increasing poverty here, boarded up store fronts, foreclosure lists, longer lines at the Food Pantry, more second-hand stores and the look of desperation on the faces of once proud parents as they sign up for food stamps and public assistance, and as they load a U-Haul with their remaining possessions because they no longer have a home of their own.

For this you have the county government and their conservative leanings to thank - because they didn't plan ahead, because they feared change, or because they really gave a damn! And still don't!

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#25 Jan 23, 2013
Obit wrote:
<quoted text>
Except in the poorest of poor counties and cities, a majority of cities and towns all across America are beginning to see a (recovery) light at the end of the tunnel. Stocks are up, unemployment down, more jobs are finally being created, many companies are expanding and others are coming back to America....
The housing industry here will NEVER come back, at least not in our lifetime, and that's all Towns had or will ever have. It's moment in the sun has forever dimmed and it squandered the opportunities it briefly afforded.
Get used to it, get used to increasing poverty here, boarded up store fronts, foreclosure lists, longer lines at the Food Pantry, more second-hand stores and the look of desperation on the faces of once proud parents as they sign up for food stamps and public assistance, and as they load a U-Haul with their remaining possessions because they no longer have a home of their own.
For this you have the county government and their conservative leanings to thank - because they didn't plan ahead, because they feared change, or because they really gave a damn! And still don't!
From what I can see the Georgia economy is still bad. And as far as jobs not in north georgia.
Obit

Young Harris, GA

#26 Jan 23, 2013
turniptown wrote:
<quoted text>From what I can see the Georgia economy is still bad. And as far as jobs not in north georgia.
It's bad still across the state, but inproving each month. Here, it's got a few years more to go before hitting rock bottom.
Ace

Dawsonville, GA

#27 Jan 23, 2013
get a lawyer wrote:
<quoted text>
The folks at the thrift store should get a good lawyer and go after the person who made that comment for every dime they have. Probably only have one or two, but who cares, the free PR would be worth the trouble.
Some people think they can say anything, lies do hurt a business and they should pay!
WTF r u talking about?! I was talking good about them! Maybe u should read it again! LMAO
Know the business owners

Dahlonega, GA

#28 Jan 23, 2013
The MEGA Thrift store is located in the old crossroads plaza, behind the crossroads resturant. These people are great wonderful people. Their thrift store is more organized and has better products than any other in this town. Theirs is more of a higher end. They do not put so much crap out there that you have to dig for a deal. They have great prices and if you buy several things, they sometimes knock some off of the total. So before you go knocking someone or their business maybe you should go and check it out and see for yourself what they have done...
Ace

Dawsonville, GA

#29 Jan 23, 2013
Exactly! They are very good people. thats what i was trying to say when get a lawyer said they should sue me. They and their employees have always been good to me.
rainy days

Commerce, GA

#30 Jan 30, 2013
another new one going in across from McDonalds. I went there for my mother and got her a wig when she went through Chemo and ended up getting a free mammogram for myself. Sorry to see them go. Not sure what the new one is going to be doing. But, one bit of advice, if it's a thrift store, they should be a charity. Otherwise they are a resale store. Ask to see their charity number filed with the State. That will show you who is a scam and who is not. As far as the Mega Thrift, nice store, great prices. Located just past Hwy 69, going west on the NW side. behind the Citgo i think. Happy shopping All
Oh Boy

Texarkana, TX

#31 Jan 30, 2013
Alert the media. A new "Mega" thrift store. What a novel idea. Happy Shopping All
Question

Tucker, GA

#32 Jan 30, 2013
Which of the local thrift shops are for charity and which are profit for owners? I have stuff to donate but do not want to stuff some individual's pocket.I have a house full of estate stuff to donate to a worthy cause.
olympic amgels

Salt Lake City, UT

#33 Jan 30, 2013
Obit wrote:
<quoted text>
thats nothing new for towns county, they done worse than that to me 50 years ago.
margie foster, daughter of prof adams at young harris college used county gov. to totally destroy my life there.
for all those reasons they deserve more than they gona get.
on my return to face them in 06 guess what i got treated even worse by the county gov. they stole all my shit. thats right the county gov.
i did not need a u-haul. i was lucky to get away alive.
heres how it worked county gov. people of 50 years ago, their kids an kids, kids took up the quest.
i have very little documantion of 50 years ago, but this time i got everything in black an white.
family criminals in county gov makes for a bad day.
Question

Tucker, GA

#34 Jan 30, 2013
Someone please answer my question.I have no clue what this Olympic person was attempting to say.Is there a veterans org.? Chidrens home? Homeless shelter? Red Cross? I just dont want some shyster making money off of my generosity.
olympic amgels

Salt Lake City, UT

#35 Jan 30, 2013
Question wrote:
Someone please answer my question.I have no clue what this Olympic person was attempting to say.Is there a veterans org.? Chidrens home? Homeless shelter? Red Cross? I just dont want some shyster making money off of my generosity.
them shysters you live among will get you.
you might not know but ask some questions of your peers there they know exactly what i'm talking.
you were talking about their tactics like they started yesterday its been going on for many many years an looks like it will never change.
what has your money got to do with me?
there are none of the things you ask about there.
Paris

Germany

#36 Jan 30, 2013
What in the he ll is OAngel talking about?Who is he?
olympic amgels

Salt Lake City, UT

#37 Jan 30, 2013
Paris wrote:
just talking about the past an the future looks even darker, no light at the end of the tunnel for hiawassee.
The Jokes on You

Blairsville, GA

#38 Jan 30, 2013
Paris wrote:
Just a crack head that is (thankfully) no longer here.

For those that want to donate to charities: Humane Society has a thrift store in Towns County. Someone help me and point out where it is located now??
Question

Tucker, GA

#39 Jan 30, 2013
The Jokes on You wrote:
<quoted text>
For those that want to donate to charities: Humane Society has a thrift store in Towns County. Someone help me and point out where it is located now??
Thank you.The Humane Society soumds very acceptable to me.

I have never before seen for profit thrift stores.Where im from they are called second hand stores or pawn shops.
Does anyone have address for humane society thrift store or any other legitamite charity store?
olympic amgels

Salt Lake City, UT

#40 Jan 30, 2013
The Jokes on You wrote:
<quoted text>
you funny, wrong on both subjects.
i visit hiawassee every day.
your comments tell me that you are connected to that bunch of criminals in my family.
Lived there

Young Harris, GA

#41 Jan 31, 2013
Question wrote:
Please consider S.A.F.E. and R.E.A.C.H.- both "homes" for battered women and their children who are running from their husbands and boyfriends, in fear of their lives. They've given up everything to survive, to escape the beatings and abuse, and they come from all walks of life and station.

The only thing they have left to lose is their lives and those two organizations offer them sanctuary!

Most are not from here! Surprised? They have a "security system" in place where they take in women and children from other areas in exchange for them taking in women and children from here - so even if you're not directly helping local women, people from other areas are helping the ones from here.

Think about it.
fido

Adel, GA

#42 Jan 31, 2013
Question wrote:
Humane Society thrift store across from McDonald's , all donations are sold to help feed homeless animals. They will pick your donations up. Call Trish, the manager at Blairsville Humane Society thrift store. She is the manager, and a very good one too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Young Harris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Emc Board resigned? 4 hr The WindBag 5
Mayor's Salary 15 hr Kung Fu 29
Commissioner Bradshaw photo (Dec '16) 19 hr curious 34
Satanic church opening up soon (Jun '14) 23 hr Bigboy 96
Worst steak ever. What happened Horrible cust... Sat MMA FIGHTER 13
Rib Country Waitress Sat really 115
Colwell Detention Center (Oct '11) Jul 22 Des 62

Young Harris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance