Oh my

Dahlonega, GA

#61 Jan 14, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
Now, there you go, attacking a person's politics when the question is really simply an intellectual discussion as to how far government regulation is entitled to reach, since we all agree that regulation, to some extent, is permissible.
How much can you restrict my ownership and access to firearms in order to minimize your chance of dying as a result of my ownership of my firearms.
The only contention I have with the Jay Bookman article is how to define assualt weapons, I think the problem lies with the high capacity magazine, not with the inherent design of a semi-automatic rifle.
==========
WED JAN 09, 2013 AT 05:00 AM PST
You NEED to watch this clip of Jon Stewart talk about gun control
by BruinKid
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/09/1177...

If some common sense firearms regulations might cut the number of these killings, why not try?
MARICOPA COUNTY SHERIFF JOE ARPAIO (1/7/2013): We have many, many laws pertaining to guns already, we oughta enforce those laws.
MAN AT GUN SHOW (1/7/2013): We already have laws banning murder, but we still have murders.

JESSE VENTURA (9/17/2012): Drunk driving. Do we go to the Ford Motor Company and tell them, stop making these automobiles because people get drunk and kill people in cars?

No, but we do enact stricter blood alcohol limits, raise the drinking age, ramp up enforcement penalties, charge bartenders for serving drunks, and launch huge public awareness campaigns to stigmatize the dangerous behavior in question, and we do all those things because it might just help bring drunk driving rates down — I don't know — by 2/3s in a few decades.
see also
http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/DrinkingAndD...
==========
War on drunk driving a model for reducing gun violence
6:46 am December 19, 2012,
by Jay Bookman
http://blogs.ajc.com/jay-bookman-blog/2012/12...

What practical steps, within the protections of the Second Amendment, can we take to reduce mass killings and gun violence? Can such an effort even begin to make a difference in saving lives and preventing heartbreak?

Yes, it can. And we have a model of success to draw upon.

By 1982, more than 21,000 Americans were dying each year in alcohol-related accidents. Yet somehow by 2010, the number of fatalities caused by drunk driving had fallen to 10,228, a decline of more than half. We didn’t solve the problem, but clearly we have made substantial progress. We are saving more than 10,000 lives a year and preventing tens of thousands more from being crippled or maimed. Almost as important, over the years we have prevented tens of thousands of drivers from ruining their own lives by killing people while under the influence.

We did not achieve that progress by banning automobiles. We did not ban alcohol. In fact, no single dramatic change produced the turnaround. It was achieved through a broad, concerted legal effort backed by a fundamental change in what was deemed culturally acceptable....
Blade

Jefferson, GA

#62 Jan 14, 2013
Most people agree the answer is not to ban the guns,but who has access to them. Maybe better communication between the mental health organizations and the FBI...but some people don't want that type of personnel information released. Maybe putting the teeth back in the judicial system...No repeat offenders with a death penalty.But liberal groups are trying to stop that too.
If you have noticed,all of these shootings lately have occurred in no gun zones.Maybe we need to loosen some of these restrictions and have more access to official training.(Have you ever heard of instructional classes in Blairsville?)
These are a few ideas I would through out.Now what are your ideas.

Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#63 Jan 14, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>The only contention I have with the Jay Bookman article is how to define assualt weapons, I think the problem lies with the high capacity magazine, not with the inherent design of a semi-automatic rifle.
==========
by BruinKid

If some common sense firearms regulations might cut the number of these killings, why not try?
MARICOPA COUNTY SHERIFF JOE ARPAIO (1/7/2013): We have many, many laws pertaining to guns already, we oughta enforce those laws.
MAN AT GUN SHOW (1/7/2013): We already have laws banning murder, but we still have murders.

JESSE VENTURA (9/17/2012): Drunk driving. Do we go to the Ford Motor Company and tell them, stop making these automobiles because people get drunk and kill people in cars?

No, but we do enact stricter blood alcohol limits, raise the drinking age, ramp up enforcement penalties, charge bartenders for serving drunks, and launch huge public awareness campaigns to stigmatize the dangerous behavior in question, and we do all those things because it might just help bring drunk driving rates down — I don't know — by 2/3s in a few decades.
see also
==========
by Jay Bookman

What practical steps, within the protections of the Second Amendment, can we take to reduce mass killings and gun violence? Can such an effort even begin to make a difference in saving lives and preventing heartbreak?

By 1982, more than 21,000 Americans were dying each year in alcohol-related accidents. Yet somehow by 2010, the number of fatalities caused by drunk driving had fallen to 10,228, a decline of more than half. We didnÂ’t solve the problem, but clearly we have made substantial progress. We are saving more than 10,000 lives a year and preventing tens of thousands more from being crippled or maimed. Almost as important, over the years we have prevented tens of thousands of drivers from ruining their own lives by killing people while under the influence.

We did not achieve that progress by banning automobiles. We did not ban alcohol. In fact, no single dramatic change produced the turnaround. It was achieved through a broad, concerted legal effort backed by a fundamental change in what was deemed culturally acceptable....
Good points.

I have no idea what an "Assault Weapon" is. Many people think the "Tec-9"is a dreaded people killer. To me it's a horribly designed 9mm pistol with a huge magazine.

Whether the magazine is located in the grip or elsewhere doesn't make any pistol more "deadly" than any other.

I have several carbines that operate using the same magazine as semi-automatic pistols. They are just as effective as my AR-15,(forward assist is for sissies by the way).

So we have agreement that looks and design do not an assault weapon make.

I would license owners and make them prove they, and anyone they allow access to their firearms have the skill to operate the firearms in a safe manner, they have a safe place to secure their firearms; and they carry liability insurance that would pay if their firearms ever illegally harm anyone else.
Oh my

Dahlonega, GA

#64 Jan 15, 2013
Lack Of Up-To-Date Research Complicates Gun Debate
by CARRIE JOHNSON
January 14, 2013 3:23 AM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2013/...

...Public health research dried up more than a decade ago after Congress restricted the use of some federal money to pay for those studies.

Art Kellermann was raised in eastern Tennessee, where his father taught him how to shoot a long gun when he was 10 years old. Kellermann grew up to become an emergency room doctor — and a target for gun-rights groups when he started asking questions like, "If a gun kept in a home was used, who did it shoot, and what were the consequences?"

Kellermann found people turned those guns on themselves and others in the house far more often than on intruders. "In other words, a gun kept in the home was 43 times more likely to be involved in the death of a member of the household than to be used in self-defense," he says.

Kellermann says the National Rifle Association and other Second Amendment advocates leaned on his then-employer, Emory University, to stop the research. That didn't work.

So, he says, "they turned to a softer target, which was the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention], the organization that was funding much of this work. And although gun injury prevention research was never more than a tiny percentage of the CDC's research budget, it was enough to bring them under the fire of the NRA."...
Oh my

Dahlonega, GA

#65 Jan 16, 2013
THE HIDDEN HISTORY OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT
http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/Bogus2.htm

Slave Control

"Slavery was not only an economic and industrial system," one scholar noted, "but more than that, it was a gigantic police system."[123] Over time the South had developed an elaborate system of slave control. The basic instrument of control was the slave patrol, armed groups of white men who made regular rounds.[124] The patrols made sure that blacks were not wandering where they did not belong, gathering in groups, or engaging in other suspicious activity.[125] Equally important, however, was the demonstration of constant vigilance and armed force. The basic strategy was to ensure and impress upon the slaves that whites were armed, watchful, and ready to respond to insurrectionist activity at all times.[126] The state required white men and female plantation owners to participate in the patrols and to provide their own arms and equipment, although the rich were permitted to send white servants in their place.[127]

Virginia, South Carolina, and Georgia all had regulated slave patrols.[128] By the mid-eighteenth century, the patrols had become the responsibility of the militia.[129] Georgia statutes [Page 336] enacted in 1755 and 1757, for example, carefully divided militia districts into discrete patrol areas and specified when patrols would muster. The Georgia statutes required patrols, under the direction of commissioned militia officers, to examine every plantation each month and authorized them to search "all Negro Houses for offensive Weapons and Ammunition" and to apprehend and give twenty lashes to any slave found outside plantation grounds.[130]

In the South, therefore, the patrols and the militia were largely synonymous. The Stono Rebellion had been quickly suppressed because the white men worshiping at the Wiltown Presbyterian church on that Sunday morning had, as required by law, gone to church armed.[131] Some of the accounts of Stono refer to the body of white men who attacked the black insurrectionists as the "militia"[132] while others refer to them as "planters."[133] This is a distinction without a difference; the two groups were one and the same. Virtually all able-bodied white men were part of the militia, which primarily meant that they had slave control duties under the direction and discipline of the local militia officers.[134]

The militia was the first and last protection from the omnipresent threat of slave insurrection or vengeance.[135] The War for Independence had placed the South in a precarious position: sending the militia to the war against the British would leave Southern communities vulnerable to slave insurrection. The Southern states, therefore, often refused to commit their militia to the Revolution, reserving them instead for slave control.[136] Nor could the South help by sending much in the [Page 337] way of arms, for rifles were in short supply [137] and necessary to defend against possible slave insurrection.[138]

After the war, the militia remained the principal means of protecting the social order and preserving white control over an enormous black population. Anything that might weaken this system presented the gravest of threats. The South's fear that the North might destabilize the slave system ľ weakening white control over the slave population ľ gave anti-Federalists a powerful weapon.[139]
Oh my

Dahlonega, GA

#66 Jan 17, 2013
Blade wrote:
Most people agree the answer is not to ban the guns,but who has access to them. Maybe better communication between the mental health organizations and the FBI...but some people don't want that type of personnel information released. Maybe putting the teeth back in the judicial system...
Ahh yes,
putting your teeth in
before dining.

THU JAN 17, 2013 AT 05:00 AM PST
Must-see: Jon Stewart exposes how the NRA & GOP PREVENT the ATF from enforcing current gun laws
by BruinKid
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/17/1179...
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#67 Jan 17, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>Ahh yes,
putting your teeth in
before dining.

Must-see: Jon Stewart exposes how the NRA & GOP PREVENT the ATF from enforcing current gun laws
by BruinKid
Saw the show.

Amazing.

The same Right Wing Representative who snuck stupid legislation in budget bills to stop ATF from performing its job, now demands local law enforcement not perform the duties he made sure ATF couldn't.

Now that's chutzpah.

The gods of irony are rejoicing.
Cuz I'm Right

Franklin, NC

#68 Jan 17, 2013
Apparently wrote:
Apparently some have never actually experienced, or witnessed the horror of real Tyranny. Nor do they realize, or for that matter appear to care, it isnÂ’t something those who have would joke about.
No but you are a fixin to see it with obummer
chevy

Dawsonville, GA

#69 Jan 18, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh yes,
putting your teeth in
before dining.
by BruinKid
Oh yes very believable from the Liberals favorite news dispensers, the Comedy Channel and the Daily Kos. bs and more bs but funny bs.
Informed Opinion

Naples, FL

#70 Jan 18, 2013
chevy wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yes very believable from the Liberals favorite news dispensers, the Comedy Channel and the Daily Kos. bs and more bs but funny bs.
Why not tell us how the story,(which displayed the actual language in the bill), was wrong.

Oh wait... The story was absolutely correct, and because there is no rebuttal argument, we'll just call out some names like it's a bad thing to be a liberal (like that pain-in-the butt Jesus guy), and hope nobody notices.

If you can, it's be interesting and informative to hear some facts that tend to prove the Stewart piece wasn't spot on. But they'll never come because it was.

Anyway, what can you expect from one of you Homo sapiens.
Bored

Berlin, MD

#71 Jan 18, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not tell us how the story,(which displayed the actual language in the bill), was wrong.
Oh wait... The story was absolutely correct, and because there is no rebuttal argument, we'll just call out some names like it's a bad thing to be a liberal (like that pain-in-the butt Jesus guy), and hope nobody notices.
Anyway, what can you expect from one of you Homo sapiens.
Boring.
Informed Opinion

Naples, FL

#72 Jan 18, 2013
Bored wrote:
<quoted text>Boring.
Good to hear from you. Keep following my posts and I am betting we become kindred souls.

Have a great day.
Oh my

Dahlonega, GA

#73 Jan 18, 2013
chevy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes very believable from the Liberals favorite news dispensers, the Comedy Channel and the Daily Kos. bs and more bs but funny bs.
So sad
that facts confound you.
Perhaps you prefer
unfounded paranoia masked as deep thought.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/anson-kay...

Remember when conservatives used to say, "America, love it or leave it"? When just about any protest coming from somewhere else along the ideological spectrum was cause to question that person's loyalty and love of country? Ah yes. Those were the days.

But now, after decades of positioning government as the enemy, the more recent rise of Tea Party populism, and the prospects of a two-term Democratic president, some on the right find themselves in rather a different place. Instead of impugning the loyalties of others for their perceived lack of patriotism, they are left to employ a sort of situational patriotism all their own.

Take, for example, Ben Shapiro. You may not know who Shapiro is. I certainly didn't (apparently he's an "Editor-at-Large" for Breitbart.com ). But then he went on CNN and offered this little chestnut: Average citizens are entitled to semi-automatic weapons because the U.S. government may follow the path of Nazi Germany (his analogy, not mine) and descend into tyranny.

...Consider Shapiro's statement on a gun control debate that centers on an horrific massacre and whether there are any sensible measures we can take—like banning the semi-automatic weapon the shooter used—to help ensure something like that never happens again. A debate on the merits might be: Are there productive uses for semi-automatic firearms when put in the hands of average citizens that we can weigh against the damage they cause when employed with malicious intent? For some of us at least, it's hard to think of any productive uses that outweigh the nefarious ones.

But what if you expand the playing field so much that ideas like defending ourselves from the U.S. military is treated like a rational justification? If that's the kind of thing that average Americans should be preparing for in the ordinary course of business then hell, semi-automatics aren't going to do the trick. Keeping a herd of angry dinosaurs in the backyard is more like it.
Wendy Daze Weather Woman

Blairsville, GA

#74 Jan 28, 2013
Nothing like a good massacre to drive up gun sales. I think the NRA should go into the body bag business.
Its been a while

Panama City, FL

#75 Feb 2, 2013
SKS are my favorites. I love when people pawn and lose them. I buy them. They have more calibur than a 30/30 anyway.
Its been a while

Panama City, FL

#76 Feb 2, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Good to hear from you. Keep following my posts and I am betting we become kindred souls.
Have a great day.

You have got to be the big headed idiot everyone keeps talking about? Did you make it to broadway yet?
Its been a while

Panama City, FL

#77 Feb 2, 2013
By the way, check your friends list before you try to connect to the wrong Florida friend on topix. I haven't followed you until right now because you seem to be eager enough. I am so tired of hearing about you and obsessions. You seem to have one. Why? Have a good morning. Do me a favor since you guessed instead of knowing what is what, call my ex and tell him your happily married. Not that they care anyway! Good night.
Zoltar

Cleveland, GA

#78 Feb 2, 2013
Its been a while wrote:
By the way, check your friends list before you try to connect to the wrong Florida friend on topix. I haven't followed you until right now because you seem to be eager enough. I am so tired of hearing about you and obsessions. You seem to have one. Why? Have a good morning. Do me a favor since you guessed instead of knowing what is what, call my ex and tell him your happily married. Not that they care anyway! Good night.
Huh? What? Beg your pardon. Excuse me.

What the hell are you saying and who are you talking to?

I hope you don't acutally own any weapons.
tom

Nashville, TN

#79 Feb 2, 2013
Tell it like it is Baby.
Informed Opinion

Alva, FL

#80 Feb 3, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>The only contention I have with the Jay Bookman article is how to define assualt weapons, I think the problem lies with the high capacity magazine, not with the inherent design of a semi-automatic rifle.
==========
by BruinKid

see also
==========
by Jay Bookman

By 1982, more than 21,000 Americans were dying each year in alcohol-related accidents. Yet somehow by 2010, the number of fatalities caused by drunk driving had fallen to 10,228, a decline of more than half. We didnÂ’t solve the problem, but clearly we have made substantial progress. We are saving more than 10,000 lives a year and preventing tens of thousands more from being crippled or maimed. Almost as important, over the years we have prevented tens of thousands of drivers from ruining their own lives by killing people while under the influence.

Great post - Good points.

I think we can agree to intensive background checks prior to taking possession of firearms, and to strict liability for any firearm owner whose firearm is used to illegally harm another.

Or something close to that ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Young Harris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Peaceful Islam 42 min Timmy_ 20
Looking for... 56 min Timmy_ 8
sheriff 2016 (Dec '14) 1 hr LaidBackDude 390
A Blairsville Restaurant refused service 10 hr Busy Restaurant 46
Lamar and his County Tax Rate 17 hr Uct 91
School Taxes (Nov '13) 17 hr trail90 51
Dogs riding in Walmart GROCERY Shopping Carts (Jul '14) Fri Bob 74
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Young Harris Mortgages