Rockslide shut down parts of Highway 76

Jan 31, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WNC Sentinel

A rockslide shut down portions of Highway 76 between Young Harris and Hiawassee, Georgia last week.

Comments
1 - 20 of 38 Comments Last updated Mar 18, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
the alpha male

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 31, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

them rocks hit anybody?

Since: Jan 10

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

no....but when the rest of the scrag an trash thats piled into that mix comes down, its going to push those weenie barriers clear to Young Harris city limits-
the alpha male

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

-Resident- wrote:
no....but when the rest of the scrag an trash thats piled into that mix comes down, its going to push those weenie barriers clear to Young Harris city limits-
due to the greed of some of them folks.
them mtns are gona be in wotse shape than cal. they have tore them mtns up with them paved logging roads they call streets.
they aint got the dollars to do the up keep.
it will all be in young harris an in the lakes.
Get the Facts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

the alpha male wrote:
<quoted text>
due to the greed of some of them folks.
them mtns are gona be in wotse shape than cal. they have tore them mtns up with them paved logging roads they call streets.
they aint got the dollars to do the up keep.
it will all be in young harris an in the lakes.
You have NO clue as usual. the reason for the rock slide is all of the rain we have had this fall and winter the ground is saturated.
the alpha male

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Get the Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
You have NO clue as usual. the reason for the rock slide is all of the rain we have had this fall and winter the ground is saturated.
excuse me,
i should have said the mtns. will all wash down to the lakes
because of the paved logging roads. them rocks fell from where the logging roads were cut in.
erosion has always been a problem there. now its made worse by them "PAVED LOGGING ROADS."

Since: Jan 10

Cleveland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Get the Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
You have NO clue as usual. the reason for the rock slide is all of the rain we have had this fall and winter the ground is saturated.
Somewhat true, contributing factor at any rate-
If you look at where it slid, its scrag- push over from the road that was cut above it. Mostly boulders and fill- if the trees hadnt taken root years back, the entire fill below the road I believe whould have sheared off- but like you said, the rain was the contributing factor in it-
Now that I think about it- I havent really looked too close at where the road is in relation to the slide- I know its cut right there after the top of the hill on an angle going up- and he pushed the fill over- I`ll have to eyeball it next trip over.

Theres alot to what Alphy says though- alot of our roads in the mountains are cut this way- cut into the bank on an angle and push the scrag over untill you get flat- without a good drainage, its a disaster in wait- alot of the houses on the hill above fieldstone, are another fine example- with enough rain, some could slide off.
Freedom

Hayesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

the alpha male wrote:
<quoted text>
due to the greed of some of them folks.
them mtns are gona be in wotse shape than cal. they have tore them mtns up with them paved logging roads they call streets.
they aint got the dollars to do the up keep.
it will all be in young harris an in the lakes.
You should not try to sound ignorant as it seems to come so easy for you, on the other hand for you to write intelligently in thought may be an impossibility.
the alpha male

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 1, 2010
 
Freedom wrote:
<quoted text> You should not try to sound ignorant as it seems to come so easy for you, on the other hand for you to write intelligently in thought may be an impossibility.
it got your attention.
the alpha male

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

-Resident- wrote:
<quoted text>
Somewhat true, contributing factor at any rate-
If you look at where it slid, its scrag- push over from the road that was cut above it. Mostly boulders and fill- if the trees hadnt taken root years back, the entire fill below the road I believe whould have sheared off- but like you said, the rain was the contributing factor in it-
Now that I think about it- I havent really looked too close at where the road is in relation to the slide- I know its cut right there after the top of the hill on an angle going up- and he pushed the fill over- I`ll have to eyeball it next trip over.
Theres alot to what Alphy says though- alot of our roads in the mountains are cut this way- cut into the bank on an angle and push the scrag over untill you get flat- without a good drainage, its a disaster in wait- alot of the houses on the hill above fieldstone, are another fine example- with enough rain, some could slide off.
those mtns. have always been in danger of flooding.
50 years ago they built dams at the head of the creeks.
that worked for a while till neglect set in.
with all the new construction, the run off picks up that loose soil an drops it somewhere else.
Get the Facts

Johnston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

-Resident- wrote:
<quoted text>
Somewhat true, contributing factor at any rate-
If you look at where it slid, its scrag- push over from the road that was cut above it. Mostly boulders and fill- if the trees hadnt taken root years back, the entire fill below the road I believe whould have sheared off- but like you said, the rain was the contributing factor in it-
Now that I think about it- I havent really looked too close at where the road is in relation to the slide- I know its cut right there after the top of the hill on an angle going up- and he pushed the fill over- I`ll have to eyeball it next trip over.
Theres alot to what Alphy says though- alot of our roads in the mountains are cut this way- cut into the bank on an angle and push the scrag over untill you get flat- without a good drainage, its a disaster in wait- alot of the houses on the hill above fieldstone, are another fine example- with enough rain, some could slide off.
Your right as well , but you also need to remember there is a spring underneath the road that flows from the hill side as well. Remember when the enigneers were here years back to figure out how to fix the problem.

By the Grace of God my dad was spared on that road that night. He was on his way home when the slide occured and a tree fell in front of him he swerved and hit the branches. He and a few others got out to try to move the tree when another slide occured. Thank God the guard rail stopped the bolders at the road or it could have been a lot worse.
the alpha male

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Get the Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right as well , but you also need to remember there is a spring underneath the road that flows from the hill side as well. Remember when the enigneers were here years back to figure out how to fix the problem.
By the Grace of God my dad was spared on that road that night. He was on his way home when the slide occured and a tree fell in front of him he swerved and hit the branches. He and a few others got out to try to move the tree when another slide occured. Thank God the guard rail stopped the bolders at the road or it could have been a lot worse.
glad no one got hurt
Did

Hiawassee, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 1, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Get the Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right as well , but you also need to remember there is a spring underneath the road that flows from the hill side as well. Remember when the enigneers were here years back to figure out how to fix the problem.
By the Grace of God my dad was spared on that road that night. He was on his way home when the slide occured and a tree fell in front of him he swerved and hit the branches. He and a few others got out to try to move the tree when another slide occured. Thank God the guard rail stopped the bolders at the road or it could have been a lot worse.
Did a boulder fall on your momma's tummy when you were in utero? Was it the "enigneers'" fault?
Missing

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 1, 2010
 

Judged:

5

2

1

Did wrote:
<quoted text>
Did a boulder fall on your momma's tummy when you were in utero? Was it the "enigneers'" fault?


Has anyone noticed the lack of intelligent posts? I check Topix every few days, hoping to find something of interest. What a shame, it has been taken over by people who can not form a coherent thought.
the alpha male

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 1, 2010
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Missing wrote:
<quoted text>
Has anyone noticed the lack of intelligent posts? I check Topix every few days, hoping to find something of interest. What a shame, it has been taken over by people who can not form a coherent thought.
so u need to stay with your neerdee folks that u like.
what does your ststement have to do with the rock slide?
If you

Hiawassee, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Missing wrote:
<quoted text>
Has anyone noticed the lack of intelligent posts? I check Topix every few days, hoping to find something of interest. What a shame, it has been taken over by people who can not form a coherent thought.
If you are looking for either coherence or thought, boy are you looking in the wrong place. Witness this thread and the stupidity expressed herein.

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

If you wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are looking for either coherence or thought, boy are you looking in the wrong place. Witness this thread and the stupidity expressed herein.
And as always, you lead the way where stupidity is concerned bugs.
Ah Windbag

Hiawassee, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

windbag wrote:
<quoted text>And as always, you lead the way where stupidity is concerned bugs.
Ah Windbag, mention lack of thought and coherence and there you appear, the very epitome of that absence, defending by inference those ignorant bogus characters who populate this thread and so many others. Insects seem to be eating away at what little is left of your rotting brain. You keep mentioning bugs, bugs, bugs. What a sad and loathsome spectacle you are.

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ah Windbag wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah Windbag, mention lack of thought and coherence and there you appear, the very epitome of that absence, defending by inference those ignorant bogus characters who populate this thread and so many others. Insects seem to be eating away at what little is left of your rotting brain. You keep mentioning bugs, bugs, bugs. What a sad and loathsome spectacle you are.
See post 16 that is if you can count that high.
Still

Hiawassee, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 2, 2010
 
windbag wrote:
<quoted text>See post 16 that is if you can count that high.
Still having problems with those pesky commas, Dumbo?
Get the Facts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Why is that every topic that is brought up, some of you have nothing better to do do than make comments that are hateful and or sarcastic?? I am not sure why some of you even post, because you have nothing to add too the converstions or debates in some cases. I am not saying that I never have a sarcatic comment back to some of you, but enough is enough!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Young Harris Discussions

Search the Young Harris Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bank Closing 4 hr makes no sense 15
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 4 hr rename 49,817
New business in town 5 hr Bad Deal 14
Smell at 76 and 75 ( road down to Helen)? 6 hr mtn living 6
floridiots love to destroy the land 6 hr General Robert E Lee 12
resturant 10 hr Frank Angelos 3
Union County Development Authority 14 hr PTM 11
•••
•••

Young Harris News Video

•••
•••

Young Harris Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Young Harris People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Young Harris News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Young Harris
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••