windstream internet
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
braced

Jefferson, GA

#1 Oct 13, 2012
are you getting internet speed you are paying for?
i am not, check your speed at these sites:
http://www.speedtest.net/
http://www.speakeasy.net/
http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php
during the day it seems to be ok, but at night it is bad(slow).
call and complain if you have slow speed.
if enough people complain they might fix the problem.
LMAO

Young Harris, GA

#2 Oct 14, 2012
braced wrote:
are you getting internet speed you are paying for?
i am not, check your speed at these sites:
http://www.speedtest.net/
http://www.speakeasy.net/
http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php
during the day it seems to be ok, but at night it is bad(slow).
call and complain if you have slow speed.
if enough people complain they might fix the problem.
Before you do that, learn something about computers and you might not embarrass yourself as much.
SLOW

Jefferson, GA

#3 Oct 14, 2012
Mine is running less than .5 meg but it should be 3 meg
Lived there

Young Harris, GA

#4 Oct 15, 2012
SLOW wrote:
Mine is running less than .5 meg but it should be 3 meg
Are you sure you have DSL?
SLOW

Texarkana, TX

#5 Oct 15, 2012
i am paying for DSL, but again tonight i am not getting DLS speed. people you need to check your speed, if slow call and complain
braced

Texarkana, TX

#6 Oct 15, 2012
i called tech support again, they know the problem, it is a bottleneck at the main office, the equipment does not have enough bandwith so when everyone gets online at night the speed slows down. we need to complain so they fix it, get what we pay for.
Lived there

Young Harris, GA

#7 Oct 16, 2012
SLOW wrote:
i am paying for DSL, but again tonight i am not getting DLS speed. people you need to check your speed, if slow call and complain
"...Has the speed of your DSL connection diminished lately? Check your line filters and try bypassing your phone line surge protector if you use one. Thunderstorms in the area can damage these items, which can also degrade over time.

"Do you use a switch or router to connect more than one computer to your Internet service? If your connection fails, these devices can be responsible. Power cycle (turn off and back on) your switch or router, DSL modem, wireless antenna and computer to begin troubleshooting a connection problem...."
SLOW

Jefferson, GA

#8 Oct 18, 2012
Lived there wrote:
<quoted text>
"...Has the speed of your DSL connection diminished lately? Check your line filters and try bypassing your phone line surge protector if you use one. Thunderstorms in the area can damage these items, which can also degrade over time.
"Do you use a switch or router to connect more than one computer to your Internet service? If your connection fails, these devices can be responsible. Power cycle (turn off and back on) your switch or router, DSL modem, wireless antenna and computer to begin troubleshooting a connection problem...."
I have tried everything you mentioned and more to the point where I went to the box outside, disconnected the house and connected modem and laptop out there, no change
Lived there

Young Harris, GA

#9 Oct 18, 2012
SLOW wrote:
<quoted text>
I have tried everything you mentioned and more to the point where I went to the box outside, disconnected the house and connected modem and laptop out there, no change
Leaves one thing.

Check and make sure the settings on your lappy are for DSL and NOT dial-up. e.g.- your lappy (or PC) may be set to connect via dial-up, which could happen even though you have DSL. Real simple (three clicks) to correct. Start> Control Panel> Network and Internet>....
Cookie

Dawsonville, GA

#10 Oct 19, 2012
Just received flyer regarding BREMC fiber optics and high speed internet rates....Switch before Nov 16 and ditch the contract-> that is what the flyer states.

3M/3M connection $34.95
6M/6M $39.95
12M/12M $42.95
union co res

Dawsonville, GA

#11 Oct 19, 2012
Cookie wrote:
Just received flyer regarding BREMC fiber optics and high speed internet rates....Switch before Nov 16 and ditch the contract-> that is what the flyer states.
3M/3M connection $34.95
6M/6M $39.95
12M/12M $42.95
good luck with this. if you are close to there fiber, but if not they will charge you a construction cost.
braced

Commerce, GA

#12 Nov 24, 2012
i know everyone is having trouble with dsl service.
call 1-800-347-1991 and complain.

here is the e-mail i sent tonight to
support@windstream.net

my dsl service has been slow or going out every night for the past two months, i have called tech support nearly every night.

i have had 3 repair men here.

the first on said my account had been set to .5meg but i was paying for 3meg, he had that corrected.

the second one said problem was at main office(after spending 30 minutes on
phone), too many people trying to use internet at night.

third one check my line outside and inside then gave me a new modem.

i have print out of multiple speed tests from 4 different sites.

sunday 11/18/12 when i called tech support i was told a total hi-speed internet outage in area code 706.

wednesday 11/21/12 again told outage in area code 706, problem was main switch.

wednesday 11/21/12 i filed a complaint with the psc.

thursday 11/22/12 told again outage in area code 706.

friday 11/23/12 told again outage in area code 706, they know the problem and it would be fixed, BUT the repair date january 26, 2013.

saturday 11/24/12 was told again repair date of january 26, 2013.

what i do not understand, i have been complaining for 2 months about slow
or no dsl, and now tech support tells me what the problem is. why will it take another 2 months to repair?

i will file another complaint with the psc telling them that you do not plan on fiximg problem for 2 more months.
The theist

Young Harris, GA

#13 Nov 25, 2012
braced wrote:
i know everyone is having trouble with dsl service.
call 1-800-347-1991 and complain.
here is the e-mail i sent tonight to
support@windstream.net
my dsl service has been slow or going out every night for the past two months, i have called tech support nearly every night.
i have had 3 repair men here.
the first on said my account had been set to .5meg but i was paying for 3meg, he had that corrected.
the second one said problem was at main office(after spending 30 minutes on
phone), too many people trying to use internet at night.
third one check my line outside and inside then gave me a new modem.
i have print out of multiple speed tests from 4 different sites.
sunday 11/18/12 when i called tech support i was told a total hi-speed internet outage in area code 706.
wednesday 11/21/12 again told outage in area code 706, problem was main switch.
wednesday 11/21/12 i filed a complaint with the psc.
thursday 11/22/12 told again outage in area code 706.
friday 11/23/12 told again outage in area code 706, they know the problem and it would be fixed, BUT the repair date january 26, 2013.
saturday 11/24/12 was told again repair date of january 26, 2013.
what i do not understand, i have been complaining for 2 months about slow
or no dsl, and now tech support tells me what the problem is. why will it take another 2 months to repair?
i will file another complaint with the psc telling them that you do not plan on fiximg problem for 2 more months.
I haven't had that kind of trouble with BRMEMC.NET and their DSL service is through Windstream. Someday, if I should live so long, there will be fiber optics available out where I am.
You're wanting instant gratification - good luck with that around here!
the problem

Jefferson, GA

#14 Nov 25, 2012
The problem is a couple of rich Texas brothers own Windstream. Its mainly in rural areas, like this with NO competion. I have complained for years, the local equipment is the problem.
The theist

Young Harris, GA

#15 Nov 25, 2012
the problem wrote:
The problem is a couple of rich Texas brothers own Windstream. Its mainly in rural areas, like this with NO competion. I have complained for years, the local equipment is the problem.
If it weren't for Windstream's government hand-out for telephone and internet service - you know, welfare, a/k/a hand outs for lazy, worthless freeloaders, the kind of thing conseratives bitch about - we'd be lucky to still have land lines, much less internet service from them.

When Congress cuts the subsidy in 2013 or 14, watch Windstream.net 's prices skyrocket. BRMEMC.net will follow suit, because they can and because Windstream controls DSL, and Windstream's quality of service will continue to go to the dogs.

The OP might use his cell phone instead, which would solve his "problem."
olympic angels

Salt Lake City, UT

#16 Nov 25, 2012
the problem wrote:
you are 100 per ent RIGHT. they have the region locked down an you get what they want you to have.
i can remember when they first run the telephone lines up hightower.party line, that was like 40 50 years ago. yes i older than dirt. lol.
we had the crank phone when we lived on the bell mt farm.
MLPFS

Young Harris, GA

#17 Nov 26, 2012
the problem wrote:
Valor Communications is owned by Windstream, which is owned by Alltel.
olympic angels

Salt Lake City, UT

#18 Nov 26, 2012
MLPFS wrote:
<quoted text>
Valor Communications is owned by Windstream, which is owned by Alltel.
it started off as standard telephone,with the operator upstairs over duckworth store on the coner where andersons clothing was.
it has come along way from then, still got a long way to go.
union co res

Dawsonville, GA

#19 Nov 26, 2012
olympic angels wrote:
<quoted text>
it started off as standard telephone,with the operator upstairs over duckworth store on the coner where andersons clothing was.
it has come along way from then, still got a long way to go.
alltel bought standard then alltel bought valor,then alltel split the wireless and wireline and name the wireline windstream alltel later sold to private equity group and then they sold to Verizon,there is some of alltel wireless left in south GA and other areas.
olympic angels

Salt Lake City, UT

#20 Nov 26, 2012
union co res wrote:
<quoted text>alltel bought standard then alltel bought valor,then alltel split the wireless and wireline and name the wireline windstream alltel later sold to private equity group and then they sold to Verizon,there is some of alltel wireless left in south GA and other areas.
looks like a little guy getting sucked up by the big guy.
here again got to look at the market. the building boom brought whats there now. with the bust whatever they got is what they got to work with.
heres the thing dial up speed is better than NO SPEED.
so be thankful for what you got, just adjust your bill.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Young Harris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cookie Jar Restaurant 1 hr Flarduh 8
Mickey Cummings = RINO 2 hr Retired Rich Pilot 410
Union County School Board / superintendent 2 hr Retired Rich Pilot 13
Trump brings country to a new low. 8 hr ugly 110
School system secret 8 hr Whaaaa Whaaaa 13
blairsville mcdonalds 16 hr DEAN 1
New building 16 hr Tom 13

Young Harris Jobs

Personal Finance

Young Harris Mortgages