Hiawassee loses major employer with b...

Hiawassee loses major employer with bank closure

There are 41 comments on the Toronto News.Net story from Mar 20, 2010, titled Hiawassee loses major employer with bank closure. In it, Toronto News.Net reports that:

With $25,000 in working capital, ten local businessmen saw the need for a bank in Hiawassee, Georgia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Toronto News.Net.

Sassafras Tea

Cleveland, GA

#21 May 16, 2010
Dummer N Dirt wrote:
<quoted text>
You won't get the republicans in this county to admit their party is at fault for anything. Heck they want to elect Deal for governor even after his ethics problems!!!!
Some die hards will go for "I don't know why you are saying this" Deal. Keep it up boys you will get the REAL Deal again and he is scamming everyone he can. He knows the law just enough to take the shirt off your back.
Who Cares

Clarkesville, GA

#22 May 16, 2010
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
We do not need government control, we need banks to do their jobs. If Bi-lo started giving away their food and went bankrupt, you would say it was bad business, not we need government control. Banks have eyes on them, they should have been corrected during an audit for their bad dealings. Bush did not do this, GREED did.
How can you be so RIGHT and yet so WRONG!! Banks were doing their jobs as they saw it, making lots of MONEY!! As long as a banker, investment bankers, stock broker or commodity trader is paid huge commissions for making a sale the public is going to get screwed. Bankers could not see what investment bankers were doing with the marginal loans, packaging them together and selling them to the public as a great investment. Knowing they could go bad, but who cares, they got their huge commissions, now on to the next deal. And trust me they have ALREADY found the next deal, the public will find out what it is only when its to late. Letting these types of business run wild with no government oversight is WHY we are in the house of crap right now. And the Republicans think that less government oversight is the answer, hell no.
Mayor

Dawsonville, GA

#23 May 16, 2010
Did you read the paper? That ignorant inbred bitch Barbara and her board of idiots voted to ask the bank not to lay off any local people. She wants the new bank to keep the people who caused the bank to fail in the first place. I think they needed to fire a few more.
If that dumbshit had a brain she would realize she is the problem with her undersized, lake polluting sewer system. That is why this town is dying a slow death. The town looks like hell because she and her merry band of fools failed to do any planning. Light up another one Barb, draw deep.
Smart Mouth

Clarkesville, GA

#24 May 16, 2010
Mayor wrote:
Did you read the paper? That ignorant inbred bitch Barbara and her board of idiots voted to ask the bank not to lay off any local people. She wants the new bank to keep the people who caused the bank to fail in the first place. I think they needed to fire a few more.
If that dumbshit had a brain she would realize she is the problem with her undersized, lake polluting sewer system. That is why this town is dying a slow death. The town looks like hell because she and her merry band of fools failed to do any planning. Light up another one Barb, draw deep.
You really have a smart mouth for such a dumb a$$. I bet you are even agraid to speak to Mayor Mathis when you see in around town. You do know the citizens of Hiawassee elected her, maybe next election you could run for biggest dumb A$$ in town, bet you would win! Or better yet take your smart mouth to a city council meeting, give the ole folks in charge a laugh!
life is short

Cleveland, GA

#25 May 17, 2010
I got to be kidding me... The Demorcats and Republicans did this mess together one group is just as BAD as the other one... get your head out of the sand....
WHO CARES wrote:
<quoted text>
Thatís the world that George Bush and the Republicans created! No accountability and no government controls, letting business do whatever they want, almost destroying the world economy! But thatís the world the current crop of conservative republicans want to continue, amazing!! Most people can learn from their mistakes, some never will.
life is short

Cleveland, GA

#26 May 17, 2010
OH my god.. Barbara is a really sweet person... everything that is wrong isnt her fault... you people should be ashamed of the way you talk about someone...
Mayor wrote:
Voter

Dawsonville, GA

#27 May 17, 2010
life is short wrote:
OH my god.. Barbara is a really sweet person... everything that is wrong isnt her fault... you people should be ashamed of the way you talk about someone...<quoted text>
Then just who is at fault? If you are not competent enough to run a City they why do you run for office? Hiawassee is a town grabbing at straws because of poor management, lack of vision and nonexistent planning. If the Mayor of the last decade is not to blame then who?
Are You Kidding

Clarkesville, GA

#28 May 17, 2010
Voter wrote:
<quoted text>Then just who is at fault? If you are not competent enough to run a City they why do you run for office? Hiawassee is a town grabbing at straws because of poor management, lack of vision and nonexistent planning. If the Mayor of the last decade is not to blame then who?
Are you kidding, Hiawassee is NOT a city, far from it. Hiawassee has one main hwy; no industry and will never have any unless the feared Interstate hwy is built sometime in the distant future. You can't have real business growth unless you have access and that wonít happen until the Interstate, or the main road from Atlanta is extended from Blairsville to Hiawassee! And that wonít make a lot of difference, still no fast way to get to the North and East. Hiawassee is what it is, a small town in a beautiful setting. You want a city, move.
gaboy

Lawrenceville, GA

#29 May 17, 2010
enough said wrote:
<quoted text>
enough saie, I don't think so, Clinton started it, but we had no idea what easy credit was til Bush allowed and encourage it for 8 more years. I could not get a no dock loan during Clintons time, got 3 during Bush. In a speech in Cal. he said everyone deserves a HOME, and he made it happen. Some of the "stupid" folks from around here you put down made enough money during the boom to get them by just fine. As for the idiot in the next post, them stupid floridians were selling florida land to move up here for a whole lot more that the mountain land they bought, a lot of them are still way ahead.
you missed my point big guy - did you not pick up earlier that i said Bush had the nitwits with him? I don't care for either party quite frankly - they are all corrupt and can be bought for a price...as for the banks, do i feel for them?- NO! Greed was the big factor there and stupidity on their part to make a loan when someone had no chance to repay the loan if they couldn't flip the property or sell it in the run up of land prices in the mountains...sure some folks made money and I am happy for them -that's the american way - supply, demand, taking risks, capitalism - it's all good - my point was only in reference to the uneducated/ unwise (or possibly poor timing) small group of local folks or the out of towners who bought land on the tail end of the price run up and got caught in the squeeze - the banks made it way too easy for them to take out a speculative loan - again, if you gonna be stupid, you better be tough
real floridian

Commerce, GA

#30 May 17, 2010
rarely have any locals met native floridians. the yanks that pretend to be are the problem, they ruined old fl and now are ruining here. by the way if any one was really interested in the truth, you would know that chris dodd and barney frank were almost single handidly responsible for all the bad loans. just do your homework before you spout off on party lines. I am real disappointed in the republicans, but the truth is the truth. regardless of how bad things were and who did it, you better hang on to your ass, because you ain't seen nothing yet.
ga boy

Lawrenceville, GA

#31 May 17, 2010
real floridian wrote:
rarely have any locals met native floridians. the yanks that pretend to be are the problem, they ruined old fl and now are ruining here. by the way if any one was really interested in the truth, you would know that chris dodd and barney frank were almost single handidly responsible for all the bad loans. just do your homework before you spout off on party lines. I am real disappointed in the republicans, but the truth is the truth. regardless of how bad things were and who did it, you better hang on to your ass, because you ain't seen nothing yet.
yep you're right..poor moral choices too and poor ethic choices -maybe if "barney" were more interested in "betty" than some gay dude, he could keep his head straight and out of his buddy's... and make better choices for all americans
enough said

Clarkesville, GA

#32 May 17, 2010
gaboy wrote:
<quoted text>
you missed my point big guy - did you not pick up earlier that i said Bush had the nitwits with him? I don't care for either party quite frankly - they are all corrupt and can be bought for a price...as for the banks, do i feel for them?- NO! Greed was the big factor there and stupidity on their part to make a loan when someone had no chance to repay the loan if they couldn't flip the property or sell it in the run up of land prices in the mountains...sure some folks made money and I am happy for them -that's the american way - supply, demand, taking risks, capitalism - it's all good - my point was only in reference to the uneducated/ unwise (or possibly poor timing) small group of local folks or the out of towners who bought land on the tail end of the price run up and got caught in the squeeze - the banks made it way too easy for them to take out a speculative loan - again, if you gonna be stupid, you better be tough
You are asuming that everyone, including the banks had a glass ball to see into the future. The only people with a glass ball were the investment bankers on Wall Street who were forming the future of the world economy when they came up with ways to market subprime loans as investments, knowing full well what would happen someday. They made thier commissions, that was their job, nobody cared at the time including the government, NOW THEY DO!
answer that question

Dawsonville, GA

#33 May 17, 2010
ga boy wrote:
<quoted text>
yep you're right..poor moral choices too and poor ethic choices -maybe if "barney" were more interested in "betty" than some gay dude, he could keep his head straight and out of his buddy's... and make better choices for all americans
Barney was making sure Freddie Mac was up his Fannie Mae.

Surely there is zero chance that the good people of Mass. will elect that F@# again.
ga boy

Lawrenceville, GA

#36 May 18, 2010
answer that question wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely there is zero chance that the good people of Mass. will elect that F@# again.
now that was a funny take on things!!!!!!!!!!
ga boy

Lawrenceville, GA

#37 May 18, 2010
enough said wrote:
<quoted text>
You are asuming that everyone, including the banks had a glass ball to see into the future. The only people with a glass ball were the investment bankers on Wall Street who were forming the future of the world economy when they came up with ways to market subprime loans as investments, knowing full well what would happen someday. They made their commissions, that was their job, nobody cared at the time including the government, NOW THEY DO!
listen, i understand wall street sold the american people a pc of crap - most folks, including myself, did not know it was going on at the time because i, like many, were too busy trying to make a living for my family - i didn't understand or have the time to keep up with derivatives, etc. that were being traded, etc. on wall street. But since the shakedown, i have studied it a little bit, maybe enough to just be dangerous with an opinion, but none the less, understand it more than the unread. The bottom line is lack of gov't control, or deregulation of the banking business, allowed greedy wall street folks to sell worthless, ponzi schemed "paper" - we're a nation built like a house of cards right now, with someone pulling the bottom card out from under us.
now back to the local N. Ga banks. i say again, do i fault them too?- hell yes i do! They made some questionable loans to folks that had no way to pay the loan back outside of a run up of land prices. it is unfortunate that they were so blind to it or didn't care or were too greedy, whatever, but it bit them in the butt now didn't it - i just feel for the uneducated local folks who were not the decision makers at the banks who simply worked there and got cast to the side because of poor management skills of their superiors...or the local folks who took out loans who now can't pay the loan back because they thought the market wouldn't go south.
sure, if i had a crystal ball, i'd be rich now knowing what was coming down the pike.
the banks are playing with other folks money, so, they should be held to a higher accountability - looks like that wasn't happening now was it? and for what it's worth - there are plenty of stupid STUPID bankers down here that did the same stupid thing by tying up too much money into inflated real estate...they be dummies in zuit suits!!!!!!!!!!
ga boy

Lawrenceville, GA

#38 May 18, 2010
answer that question wrote:
<quoted text>
hey, tells you what kind of folks live there for electing him in the first place, doesn't it?
enough said

Clarkesville, GA

#39 May 18, 2010
gaboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You miss the point little man, it is not an American thing, much less the American way. Its a global thing brought on by big time players on Wall Street, investment bankers who set the cards in their favor to make tons of money, and they did, and continue to make money even in a down economy. The hell with the worldwide consequences, much less the affect on you and me. The republicans still are not in favor of more controls on the street, why should the be, thats their people. They manage to convince middle class folks they are also their people, such a joke. The democrats will NOT push hard enough for strong controls, canít risk the consequences. Why, just follow the money, and itís not in your pocket little man. Now all the conservative republicans and tea party folks, just say,ďItís Obamas faultĒ, feel better. You may just feel better, but you are blind to the truth and you will pay again in the end.
enough said

Clarkesville, GA

#40 May 18, 2010
ga boy wrote:
<quoted text>
listen, i understand wall street sold the american people a pc of crap - most folks, including myself, did not know it was going on at the time because i, like many, were too busy trying to make a living for my family - i didn't understand or have the time to keep up with derivatives, etc. that were being traded, etc. on wall street. But since the shakedown, i have studied it a little bit, maybe enough to just be dangerous with an opinion, but none the less, understand it more than the unread. The bottom line is lack of gov't control, or deregulation of the banking business, allowed greedy wall street folks to sell worthless, ponzi schemed "paper" - we're a nation built like a house of cards right now, with someone pulling the bottom card out from under us.
now back to the local N. Ga banks. i say again, do i fault them too?- hell yes i do! They made some questionable loans to folks that had no way to pay the loan back outside of a run up of land prices. it is unfortunate that they were so blind to it or didn't care or were too greedy, whatever, but it bit them in the butt now didn't it - i just feel for the uneducated local folks who were not the decision makers at the banks who simply worked there and got cast to the side because of poor management skills of their superiors...or the local folks who took out loans who now can't pay the loan back because they thought the market wouldn't go south.
sure, if i had a crystal ball, i'd be rich now knowing what was coming down the pike.
the banks are playing with other folks money, so, they should be held to a higher accountability - looks like that wasn't happening now was it? and for what it's worth - there are plenty of stupid STUPID bankers down here that did the same stupid thing by tying up too much money into inflated real estate...they be dummies in zuit suits!!!!!!!!!!
I like you did not know enough about what was going on at Wall Street, and how the world is where all the action is, not just the USA. And like you have done a lot of reading, Congrats for doing that. I just WISH more folks would, read and maybe watch mainstream media news on TV, not the Fox crap, or even MSNBC till you get a handle on whats really going on. The world is run by a few, the rest of us need to wake up to that fact or we all will be in sad shape. Local bankers in a small town like this are just as much victims as the rest of us, these people on the street are really sharp! Its not hopeless by any stretch of the imagination, the government of the USA and other counties must put controls in place to stop the raping of the common man. We as a hole are NOT smart enough to avoid it on our own, no matter what you might think. And when you have the political party of the rich who have convinced the conservative middle class that letting big business have their way is good! That they have done that is amazing to me, and for common people to believe it is more amazing. I just read where big drug makers, selling and making top selling prescription drugs in this county, transfer earnings to off shore companies to avoid paying taxes, lots of tax dollars lost. The average Joe can't do that, but big business can, ever wonder why, rich career politicians might give you pause for thought!
ga boy

Lawrenceville, GA

#41 May 18, 2010
enough said wrote:
<quoted text>
I like you did not know enough about what was going on at Wall Street, and how the world is where all the action is, not just the USA. And like you have done a lot of reading, Congrats for doing that. I just WISH more folks would, read and maybe watch mainstream media news on TV, not the Fox crap, or even MSNBC till you get a handle on whats really going on. The world is run by a few, the rest of us need to wake up to that fact or we all will be in sad shape. Local bankers in a small town like this are just as much victims as the rest of us, these people on the street are really sharp! Its not hopeless by any stretch of the imagination, the government of the USA and other counties must put controls in place to stop the raping of the common man. We as a hole are NOT smart enough to avoid it on our own, no matter what you might think. And when you have the political party of the rich who have convinced the conservative middle class that letting big business have their way is good! That they have done that is amazing to me, and for common people to believe it is more amazing. I just read where big drug makers, selling and making top selling prescription drugs in this county, transfer earnings to off shore companies to avoid paying taxes, lots of tax dollars lost. The average Joe can't do that, but big business can, ever wonder why, rich career politicians might give you pause for thought!
you're reading my posts too quick man...sloooooooooowwwwwwww down - i don't disagree with you - i hear what you're saying, just maybe not quite as educated on it but gettin there. i am well aware of the slick willies on wall street ....much smarter and quicker to the draw than me - one step up and always ahead - it's why they are where they are - they are very good at deceiving the people - the political system (both parties) deceive the American people - big business deceives - network TV deceives - now there was a time i didn't believe this could be true but the American people have been sold a bag of goods and unfortunately, most folks are like cattle - people say "i am going that way cause the guy in front went that way - he must be right" and they never ask WHY or "do you know why you are going that way? nope just because the guy in front me told me too" - people generally like for someone else to decide things for them - that way, if it turns out bad, they can blame the other guy. It's another big problem in this country - let's blame the other guy for this problem i got right now. There is truth in that phrase at times and wall street is a big problem for instance here but i am alluding to all the everyday in and outs of life. I'm on a soapbox now so let me step off of that one before i get carried away. On the local bank issue whether up there or down here where i live, yes, i blame the local banks. I know for a fact of several loans that were made that were pure idiotic on the banks part. those loans would never have been made in the past. I have good friends that are mortgage brokers - no problem getting questionable people loans - they would do stated income.- come on stated income on a jumbo loan or a piggyback loan as a second because the people wouldn't qualify otherwise? That type of risky loan portfolio is sure to come knocking one day in a bad sort of way. Loan officers made some dumb loans for there board of directors/investors. Now I am not saying the local banks caused this big economic problem in the U.S.- it was just a sidebar remark I made.
and yep, the US has got some big arce problems coming. if people don't think we are headed for a huge financial meltdown down the road again, or a one world gov't or certainly a mix up of the world powers, they are wrong in my opinion. It's a coming - i just don't know when - America can not continue to operate as it does and prevail longterm
p.s. appreciate the thought provoking chatter - it's all good
ga boy

Lawrenceville, GA

#42 May 18, 2010
enough said wrote:
<quoted text>
damn, i just wrote you a long ass reply and lost it out there somewhere in cyberspace - i can't write it all out again :) let's just say you are right in what you say - we probaly agree much more than disagree outside of the local bank issue...thought provoking chatter is good - i appreciate your comments keep em coming

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Young Harris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Status of Mr. Akins 1 hr shoop 1
First priorities on new EMC board 2 hr shoop 7
No more mowing in Hiawassee? 2 hr My thoughts 3
Mr. Wrong 3 hr What you watchin 2
Danny Henson 8 hr UR Stupid 5
Highland Falls 11 hr sbragg22 14
Brasstown Manor 13 hr Amused 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Young Harris Mortgages