hi-speed internet ??
Nottelybill

Dawsonville, GA

#1 Jan 1, 2013
does anyone know what's going on with the high-speed internet being installed. Like who is in charge of it,how much will it cost, and when it will go on line?
Just Mike

Cleveland, GA

#2 Jan 1, 2013
Nottelybill wrote:
does anyone know what's going on with the high-speed internet being installed. Like who is in charge of it,how much will it cost, and when it will go on line?
Speaking for the Trackrock Gap area, Windstream now offers 12Mbps DSL modem/router combos for about the same price as 3Mbps used to be. It is VERY fast... queues and streams really well. How much faster than 12 megabit do we really need?

Just FYI- the 12Mbps modem/router they provide does have a shorter range, so tell them to leave the older Linksys router for Wifi and disable the Wifi integrated feature on the 12Mbps modem. Works fine.

Finally, I received a Roku device for Xmas... it is absolutely AWESOME.
nottelybill

Dawsonville, GA

#3 Jan 1, 2013
Well windstream may have it but forget the speed. I own one and the speed sucks. maybe it has something to do with location I don't know but we have never had any speed near Cozy Cove. It is also sensitive to traffic loads.
Informed Opinion

Bonita Springs, FL

#4 Jan 1, 2013
Just Mike wrote:
<quoted text>Speaking for the Trackrock Gap area, Windstream now offers 12Mbps DSL modem/router combos for about the same price as 3Mbps used to be. It is VERY fast... queues and streams really well. How much faster than 12 megabit do we really need?

Just FYI- the 12Mbps modem/router they provide does have a shorter range, so tell them to leave the older Linksys router for Wifi and disable the Wifi integrated feature on the 12Mbps modem. Works fine.

Great post. But now I have to ask my kids to explain what all that means. Being old sucks.
Just Checkin

Norman Park, GA

#5 Jan 1, 2013
Speed out on Jones Creek less than the 1.5 published. I call their help line and they said we had .555, so same price. When I inquired at their office, they said waiting for federal funding to expand out here. It's a private company, we already are paying for it once.

“Optimism”

Since: Dec 12

Blairsville, GA

#6 Jan 1, 2013
Windstream is awful, slow as a turtle. I was told the mountains had nothing to do with it. We are hanging from a mountain so what is it?
Bears Way

Dawsonville, GA

#7 Jan 1, 2013
I have Windstream also, no complaints.
Hill Will

Commerce, GA

#8 Jan 1, 2013
Nottelybill wrote:
http://northgeorgianetwork.com/successes/

If you are asking about the fiber optics ring, some businesses are using fiber optics.
Hill Will

Commerce, GA

#9 Jan 1, 2013
Just Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking for the Trackrock Gap area, Windstream now offers 12Mbps DSL modem/router combos for about the same price as 3Mbps used to be. It is VERY fast... queues and streams really well. How much faster than 12 megabit do we really need?
Good information.
I think I will check into 12Mbps. I've noticed that I have been dropping packets on DSL lately. I'm sure I would need higer speed for streaming video.
Which router does 12Mbps use? I have the 1704, now.

“Dont care how you did it in FL”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#10 Jan 1, 2013
Bet they got some real fast interenet back in florida.
Sick Man Freud

Dahlonega, GA

#11 Jan 1, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountain EMC is putting in the fiber optics - their internet is great - just make sure you sign up for the service about six months before you actually plan on using it, seriously, it takes about that long to get it (if they're building in your area). But it is fast and reliable.
Fast

Texarkana, TX

#12 Jan 2, 2013
Timmy_ wrote:
25mps on the panhandle coast.
Floridian

Orlando, FL

#13 Jan 2, 2013
Timmy_ wrote:
Wouldn't know about that; what is interenet?
Sick Man Freud

Dahlonega, GA

#14 Jan 2, 2013
Floridian wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't know about that; what is interenet?
...that's internet inside an E.
Slow

Texarkana, TX

#15 Jan 2, 2013
Windstream slows down really bad in the eveings......I only get less than half the speed I pay for. Time to call Windstream and demand a reduction in what they charge me.

granny

Jefferson, GA

#16 Jan 2, 2013
My high speed has been low speeed know what you mena emc has internet now fiber
troubles

Jefferson, GA

#17 Jan 2, 2013
My windstream connection is absolutely terrible. It gets that way nearly every evening. 3G on my phone is faster than their 6mb.

“Optimism”

Since: Dec 12

Blairsville, GA

#18 Jan 23, 2013
I have a question, I keep getting updates for Adobe and Java at least twice a week, now blue screens have started immediately after. Seriously, does anyone else have this problem?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Young Harris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Replace Judge Dwain Brackett (Jun '12) 5 hr zaz zu 395
Tthe Meadow Apartments 17 hr Jimmy 14
Armadillo Grill Tue Cops Suck 48
Windstream internet out for anyone else? Tue Wow 4
Poll hottest women in Hiawassee? (Jun '09) Tue Free Bird 54
THAT Falling Apart Decrepit Trailer Tue Timmy is gay 57
Bye Barbra Mathis! Mon Free Bird 8

Young Harris Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance