Protest over reassessment held

There are 19 comments on the Evening Sun story from May 13, 2011, titled Protest over reassessment held. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

At a protest over the reassessment and the upcoming election held Friday in front of the Adams County Courthouse, Marie Akromas DiGangi, right, of York Springs, listens as attorney Ronald J. Hagarman tells her about the 142-acre property he has in the Clean and Green program.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
What

Gettysburg, PA

#42 May 15, 2011
IllegalMyA wrote:
<quoted text>
Them being under assessed is not a fact. It is your worthless opinion.
Man, is there any level to which you will not stoop?
You are really showing your true colors. Big Mouth. Arrogant.
Low Life POS.
I suppose you know all the people out there with houses bigger than yours are weasels?
What a joke. Sooner or later, you'll crawl back under your rock and leave the good TAX PAYING citizens of Adams County alone.
I know, your jealousy, envy, and GREED won't let you do it.
Again, Low Life POS
Is this you AGAIN moosehunter?

You and "EyeOpener" must be some of those who are abusing the "Clean & Greed" program. You should know about jealousy, envy & greed...you want all the rest of us to pay "YOUR FAIR SHARE" of taxes. You are just afraid that moose will expose your "under assessed" property.

C'mon...you can afford it...just pay your fair share!!!
What

Gettysburg, PA

#43 May 15, 2011
IllegalMyA wrote:
<quoted text>
Them being under assessed is not a fact. It is your worthless opinion.
Man, is there any level to which you will not stoop?
You are really showing your true colors. Big Mouth. Arrogant.
Low Life POS.
I suppose you know all the people out there with houses bigger than yours are weasels?
What a joke. Sooner or later, you'll crawl back under your rock and leave the good TAX PAYING citizens of Adams County alone.
I know, your jealousy, envy, and GREED won't let you do it.
Again, Low Life POS
Is this you AGAIN moosehunter? You and "Eyeopener" must be some of those who are abusing the "Clean & Greed" program. You are afraid moose might expose your "under assessed" property. And, if anyone knows anything about jealousy, envy & greed, it must be you.

I even wrote this without calling you names!

Since: Aug 10

Gettysburg, PA

#44 May 15, 2011
Actually partypooper it was a tomato we were going to sell to each other at 2000 a pop, not a cow. However, since then, the cow situation did happen in real life and we do not have to sell it anyway. Just come up with $2000.00 in imaginary gross value, only in Adams County of course. Not income.
Besides if you have $2000.00 annual gross value from an Ag commodity , even if your investment/cost was $1,999.99 or even >$2,000.00, you can qualify for C & G with less than 10 acres. AND IT IS LEGAL.
Get that pinhead. Your 10 acres exclusive group is not that exclusive.

Since: Aug 10

Gettysburg, PA

#45 May 15, 2011
And another thing pinhead. There is something very odious about a property owner with a modest home on 8 or so acres having to pay more taxes( or being taxed off their property) than a fake farmer's property with a superior home on 10 acres having to pay LESS taxes. And this is also partially due to many modest homes being over assessed while superior homes being under assessed by the 21 century and certified by the ignorami in the Courthouse .And that my friend , is a proven fact.
Vote out the current clowns!!!!Do not get brainwashed into voting against your own self interest.
Hanoverian

Gaithersburg, MD

#46 May 16, 2011
Concerned taxpayer wrote:
WAKE UP PEOPLE!! The Clean and Green program was supposed to benefit the Farming community but was used as a ruse to benefit those who want to own property but not pay the taxes.
Actually that is wrong. The C&G Program was written to encourage preserving ANY green space in the state, not just farmland. That is why it has 3 different categories that a landowner may qualify for and 2 of those categories don't involve large-scale farming.
Tommy wrote:
True, they may be preserving that piece of land and they get the big tax break, but I don't think that was the original intention of the law.
Again, that is EXACTLY the intent of the law.

I have said before that Bruce was on the right track when he started fighting the reassessment. Weikert, Moreno, and 21st Century botched the entire thing but won't take responsibility. And the blame for applying the C&G ruling incorrectly lies squarely with Barb Walter. She has full power over who gets categorized and how, and she has been in that position for decades.

But as soon as Bruce got on this C&G tirade he went off the deep end. If C&G is abolished then the entire county will suffer because green space will be sold off and developed. Adams County will become one huge suburban development with a National Park in the middle of it. Whether you own 1/8 acre or 1000 acres, don't you enjoy seeing trees and grassland when you drive through the area? That won't exist if Clean and Green is changed to not allow 10-acre "non-farming" properties.

P.S.-- Even though Walter was applying the categories incorrectly most will be corrected under the proposed reassessment. Those McMansions will now be assessed at full value on the Base Acre (which includes house, garage, pool, outbuildings, etc.) and the discount will only be applied to any additional UNDEVELOPED acreage.
Moose

Warrenville, IL

#47 May 16, 2011
Hanoverian wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually that is wrong. The C&G Program was written to encourage preserving ANY green space in the state, not just farmland. That is why it has 3 different categories that a landowner may qualify for and 2 of those categories don't involve large-scale farming.
<quoted text>
Again, that is EXACTLY the intent of the law.
I have said before that Bruce was on the right track when he started fighting the reassessment. Weikert, Moreno, and 21st Century botched the entire thing but won't take responsibility. And the blame for applying the C&G ruling incorrectly lies squarely with Barb Walter. She has full power over who gets categorized and how, and she has been in that position for decades.
But as soon as Bruce got on this C&G tirade he went off the deep end. If C&G is abolished then the entire county will suffer because green space will be sold off and developed. Adams County will become one huge suburban development with a National Park in the middle of it. Whether you own 1/8 acre or 1000 acres, don't you enjoy seeing trees and grassland when you drive through the area? That won't exist if Clean and Green is changed to not allow 10-acre "non-farming" properties.
P.S.-- Even though Walter was applying the categories incorrectly most will be corrected under the proposed reassessment. Those McMansions will now be assessed at full value on the Base Acre (which includes house, garage, pool, outbuildings, etc.) and the discount will only be applied to any additional UNDEVELOPED acreage.
Hanoverian, all I want is for the program to be administered according to the law. Simple as that. Right now it is so far off that basic premise it's crazy. C&G'ers get a 90% reduction on their land. 90%! I'd be ok for the FARMERS getting that, but those who haven't earned it or deserve it are doing us all a disservice. If it gets any worse, we'll be paying their mortgage!
Moose

Warrenville, IL

#48 May 16, 2011
Hanoverian wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgot to ask...what proposed reassessment? The non-ag McMansions are supposed to be assessed for the base acre, but again...there are many weaseling out with the Chief Assessor's assistance. There are many additional dwellings, commercial enterprises, cell towers ALL ON DISCOUNTED LAND. This is not the intent of the program. The public needs to wake up and see what is happening in our Courthouse. I've been trying to help them see.
Hanoverian

Rockville, MD

#49 May 16, 2011
Moose wrote:
Forgot to ask...what proposed reassessment? The non-ag McMansions are supposed to be assessed for the base acre, but again...there are many weaseling out with the Chief Assessor's assistance. There are many additional dwellings, commercial enterprises, cell towers ALL ON DISCOUNTED LAND. This is not the intent of the program. The public needs to wake up and see what is happening in our Courthouse. I've been trying to help them see.
Moose,
By "proposed reassessment" I was referring to the one we just went through. Since there is still litigation pending against it I personally consider it "proposed" (although we all know the Commissioners will approve it).

I agree about the Assessor's office. As I said in my previous post, Barb has been abusing the system for decades. In my mind the Commissioners are to blame for the reassessment mess, but Walter is directly to blame for the C&G mess. When the reassessment happened she was forced to change how she was applying the formulas because she had more people looking over her shoulder. If there are still some slipping through then she needs to be held accountable for those.

I would like to point out, however, that some of your logic is flawed. The links on your site do a great job of showing individual parcels from Courthouseonline. But keep in mind that the same person may own numerous parcels. If the parcels are contiguous they all become eligible for C&G (the owner can choose which ones to apply for C&G treatment). If you only pick one parcel to show you may not have the entire picture.
Moose

Warrenville, IL

#50 May 16, 2011
Hanoverian wrote:
<quoted text>
Moose,
By "proposed reassessment" I was referring to the one we just went through. Since there is still litigation pending against it I personally consider it "proposed" (although we all know the Commissioners will approve it).
I agree about the Assessor's office. As I said in my previous post, Barb has been abusing the system for decades. In my mind the Commissioners are to blame for the reassessment mess, but Walter is directly to blame for the C&G mess. When the reassessment happened she was forced to change how she was applying the formulas because she had more people looking over her shoulder. If there are still some slipping through then she needs to be held accountable for those.
I would like to point out, however, that some of your logic is flawed. The links on your site do a great job of showing individual parcels from Courthouseonline. But keep in mind that the same person may own numerous parcels. If the parcels are contiguous they all become eligible for C&G (the owner can choose which ones to apply for C&G treatment). If you only pick one parcel to show you may not have the entire picture.
I take all that into consideration. I check for multiple parcels AND adjoining ones. I don't take my posts lightly...there's a lot of preparation before I post any, including checking case law.

The reassessment is over and done with. There will not be another for awhile unless a court orders one. The commissioners won't willingly do one until absolutely necessary. Those who have inequities will have to seek justice when appeal time rolls around again. Keep in mind, the sitting commissioners will be doing them again, so don't expect much, especially if they are lame ducks.

I think we have made minuscule advances in the assessment office. At least they appear to be "excepting out" some acreage now. But the damage has already been done. We "except out" for some and not others...that is non-uniformity and ripe for litigation.

Clean House

Gettysburg, PA

#51 May 16, 2011
It's time to Clean House. We get another crack at it tomorrow at the polls. Mooseman has opened up a can of worms for the assessors office and they know it. So do the Commissioners. Remember the Reassessment! And don't forget that dirty little fact of tax shifting being done for the past 6 years and all of us not so special people losing hundreds to thousands of dollars. Who is going to make that right? True farmers we support you but not the Fake Farmers and others who may have been misguided or mislead as to what they could or should apply for! It is too bad for us in Adams County we're out of luck since Act 235 wasn't done legally. The good news is that the County Commissioners and Barb Walter INTENDED to do it!
Hey how about if we each just INTEND TO PAY these 20ll property and school taxes. INTENT is all that matters in Adams County. The County won't forclose on your property if you INTENDED to pay those taxes! It is a quote from Mr. Hartzel the County Solicitor and is on Community Medias video. See it for yourself. CLEAN HOUSE MAY 17th.

Since: Mar 11

gettysburg

#52 May 19, 2011
This may be the final word since the elections are over and to paraphrase Marc Antony's oratio on the burial of Caesar (the emporer):

'Friends, Adams Countians and countrymen, we come not to praise the Board of Commissioners,
but to bury them....
their deeds will survive them.....
so let us not forget the mischief they have done

Their end began with their heinous "Policy of Public Participation" in which they attempted to silence our fundamental Right of Free Speech !!
Joanna

Hanover, PA

#53 May 20, 2011
WMDANACPA wrote:
This may be the final word since the elections are over and to paraphrase Marc Antony's oratio on the burial of Caesar (the emporer):
'Friends, Adams Countians and countrymen, we come not to praise the Board of Commissioners,
but to bury them....
their deeds will survive them.....
so let us not forget the mischief they have done
Their end began with their heinous "Policy of Public Participation" in which they attempted to silence our fundamental Right of Free Speech !!
You will have more problems. Same thing happened when Obama took over office. Shitz was buried so high, he is still buried in it.
YepMeAgain

Ellicott City, MD

#54 May 20, 2011
noodlehead, why do you always stoop to name calling? You and moosey must be reading from the same playbook. Start feeling defensive and you both start name calling.
Let's see, I'm a childish pinhead cowardly weasel troll.
I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Moosey keeps making false statements, accusing people of being criminals, stating opinion as fact, attacking people he doesn't know.

And you noodlehead, are just a bad, drinking the moosey kool-aid, supporting everything he says regardless of how foolish it is.

Now for my childish, knee jerk reactions:
Moosey says he will run for commissioner in 8yrs. Luckily, we won't have to worry about that. There is no way anyone so grotesquely obese will be well enough to "run" for anything at that age.

And you, you really should try to do a little thinking for yourself and stop inflating and exaggerating, drama queen.

And since I'm a coward, according to moosey, for not using my real name, where's that leave you.

Moosey, some advise, get some education and start making more than minimum wage and you won't have to live with getting angry, overbearing envy and jealosy, every time you go past a house like mine. It's not good for your health. You should not have to feel that inadequate about the house you live in. You should change you website name to spreadthewealth.com . At least it would more reflect your agenda. Go earn your own money and stop trying to take mine. I'm sure I pay more in property taxes then you make in a year.

One last thing: I should put my name out there. I guarantee within a month you would mouth off enough for me to take everything you own, including that datsun.
KeepingMooseyBus y

Newville, PA

#55 May 20, 2011
How to keep moosey busy for days:

continued on page 2:

Oh man, I kill myself.
I swear, my side hurts from laughing so hard.
Could a pinhead come up with this stuff?
I think not!

Okay, I'm not that cruel.
Moosey, there really isn't a page 2, so don't waste you entire weekend.

Go back to posting little piggy's. What a life.
What

Gettysburg, PA

#56 May 20, 2011
YepMeAgain wrote:
Moosey keeps making false statements, accusing people of being criminals, stating opinion as fact, attacking people he doesn't know.
Apparantly the majority of the voters know what the truth is...look at the results of the primary. Now George, Glenn, and Lisa can join you for a beer, sit back and enjoy the view of your fake farm.

P.S.....I still say YOU fit the description that YOU gave of a "blowhard". Add that to your list of namecalling.
What

Gettysburg, PA

#57 May 20, 2011
YepMeAgain wrote:
One last thing: I should put my name out there. I guarantee within a month you would mouth off enough for me to take everything you own, including that datsun.
By the way...I forgot. It's too late. I already traded moosey my lawn mower for his Datsun.
notmeagain

Gettysburg, PA

#58 May 20, 2011
YepMeAgain wrote:
noodlehead, why do you always stoop to name calling? You and moosey must be reading from the same playbook. Start feeling defensive and you both start name calling.
Let's see, I'm a childish pinhead cowardly weasel troll.
I'm sure I'm missing a few.
And you noodlehead, are just a bad, drinking the moosey kool-aid, supporting everything he says regardless of how foolish it is.
Now for my childish, knee jerk reactions:
Moosey says he will run for commissioner in 8yrs. Luckily, we won't have to worry about that. There is no way anyone so grotesquely obese will be well enough to "run" for anything at that age.
And you, you really should try to do a little thinking for yourself and stop inflating and exaggerating, drama queen.
And since I'm a coward, according to moosey, for not using my real name, where's that leave you.
Moosey, some advise, get some education and start making more than minimum wage and you won't have to live with getting angry, overbearing envy and jealosy, every time you go past a house like mine. It's not good for your health. You should not have to feel that inadequate about the house you live in. You should change you website name to spreadthewealth.com . At least it would more reflect your agenda. Go earn your own money and stop trying to take mine. I'm sure I pay more in property taxes then you make in a year.
so you think it's ok for people who do not qualify for the ag discount to NOT be getting taxed on the first base acre?

You may not like moose or any of the others who constantly go to these meetings and raise heck but you can't deny he is right about the first base acre.

I'm glad there are people like him who have the time to dedicate to this kind of stuff. Had he not none of us would have known this was going on.

If youre a big guy or a little guy you have the same responsibilty to pay your share. Moose has said many times in differnt forums and even his own site, he no issue with a farmer or anyone else who does qualify under the letter of the law for getting those discounts. His problem is with the greedy people whom wish to get those discounts OR further discounts in which they don't qualify for simply to dodge paying their taxes.

Lets face it none of it would be going on either if the current administration themsevles weren't benifiting from it.
Moose

Warrenville, IL

#59 May 23, 2011
YepMeAgain wrote:
You're not man enough to tell us your name...
Moose

Gettysburg, PA

#60 May 26, 2011
Moose wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not man enough to tell us your name...
Just as I suspected...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

York Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Apr '15 Brenda 42
Cumberland Valley Farms ??? (Oct '08) Feb '15 rkmiceli 5
News Man wanted in connection with a sexual assault ... Nov '14 Crystal Ball 1
News Trick-or-treat nights set for York County areas (Oct '08) Nov '14 Batman 54
News Brian C. McCauslin Courtesy: Somerset County Pr... (Jun '11) Oct '14 bleuone 23
News Area Trick-or-Treat nights set (Oct '10) Oct '14 Anonymous 39
News Adams County man charged with sexually assaulti... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Just a thought 4
More from around the web

York Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]