Judicial candidates square off

Judicial candidates square off

There are 28 comments on the Evening Sun story from Mar 31, 2011, titled Judicial candidates square off. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

The eight people running for two magisterial district judge seats in Adams County have too many qualifications to count between them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
yup

Gardners, PA

#1 Apr 1, 2011
Sorry, but just because you pass a 5 week course and get a certificate doesn't qualify you for a Dist. Mag. position. Those officers vying for Zepps position know all to well your street job is merely investigating a complaint and citing all parties involved and let the courts figure it out because you lack the initial experience to handle it on the streets..If you can't make a logical decision on the street, what makes either one of you think you can do a lawyers JOB...All to many times law enforcement officers are the ones filling the courts with miniscule BS, because they lack experience!!!! not a hater of police, but really your expertise is limited....
Pround American

Hanover, PA

#2 Apr 1, 2011
Hollinger for Judge
Dude

Fannettsburg, PA

#3 Apr 1, 2011
There are 2 MDJ's in the county who are not lawyers..but former police officers and they do a fantastic job. Also, Biggins is not the only canine officer in the county. I believe there is one in the Sheriffs office.
candidate quandry

Chadds Ford, PA

#4 Apr 1, 2011
As many persons seek the seat of MDJ in both 51-3-03 and 51-3-04 it is often difficult to select the best candidate. I would like to address misrepresentation. First this report has incorrectly stated Little is graduating with a degree in law. His degree will be undergrad from Penn State. Although Hollinger is an attorney this alone does not qualify him for the position. As he himself noted he not as in touch with the needs of the community as he'd like to be. In addition, he does misrepresent the position for which he is running. Each of his sign state he is seeking election to a district judge. A distric judge is a federally appointed position not an elected position. So I ask how can we believe Hollinger is any better of a candidate than Little or Fishel as it seems he doesn't know what the correct title is. Lawyers play on words you'd think he'd have his title correct. Also, when asked about the Cost of living adjustments (COLAS), Hollinger answered first and sated "i will not give up my diet coke." Little was the second to address this and corrected it with stating he would give it up because many in the community have done so involuntarily. As noted Fishel will not give up his COLA
candidate quandry

Chadds Ford, PA

#5 Apr 1, 2011
yup wrote:
Sorry, but just because you pass a 5 week course and get a certificate doesn't qualify you for a Dist. Mag. position. Those officers vying for Zepps position know all to well your street job is merely investigating a complaint and citing all parties involved and let the courts figure it out because you lack the initial experience to handle it on the streets..If you can't make a logical decision on the street, what makes either one of you think you can do a lawyers JOB...All to many times law enforcement officers are the ones filling the courts with miniscule BS, because they lack experience!!!! not a hater of police, but really your expertise is limited....
Please referr to the Pennsylvania Constitution this should clarify for you what allows one to run to the seat of MDJ. It is obvious you are in support of Hollinger. Remember one should consider that 12 of 19 MDJ's in York County and 2 of 4 MDJ's in Adams County are former police officers. Clearly thousands of people can't be wrong.
candidate quandry

Chadds Ford, PA

#6 Apr 1, 2011
yup wrote:
After thought.... John Zepp was neither a police office or attorney when he was elected into office. Just an FYI
Big Brother

Carlisle, PA

#7 Apr 1, 2011
yup wrote:
Boy I wish it were just that easy, just issue paper and let someone else do the thinking. It is not the police officer that initiates the hearing, it is the defendant. The majority of hearings are for speeding and are seldom overturned by the judge even when a defendant has an lawyer.
What an insult to all of the police officers that put their lives on the line for you and your family.

I have two suggestions for you 1) do a ride along with your local PD and find out just how many times "all parties" are citing 2) Take the 5 week course to see just how encompassing that experience it truly is. Oh, but since you are a lawyer already you don't have to, do you Esquire?
Observant Spectator

Carlisle, PA

#8 Apr 1, 2011
candidate quandry wrote:
As many persons seek the seat of MDJ in both 51-3-03 and 51-3-04 it is often difficult to select the best candidate. I would like to address misrepresentation. First this report has incorrectly stated Little is graduating with a degree in law. His degree will be undergrad from Penn State. Although Hollinger is an attorney this alone does not qualify him for the position. As he himself noted he not as in touch with the needs of the community as he'd like to be. In addition, he does misrepresent the position for which he is running. Each of his sign state he is seeking election to a district judge. A distric judge is a federally appointed position not an elected position. So I ask how can we believe Hollinger is any better of a candidate than Little or Fishel as it seems he doesn't know what the correct title is. Lawyers play on words you'd think he'd have his title correct. Also, when asked about the Cost of living adjustments (COLAS), Hollinger answered first and sated "i will not give up my diet coke." Little was the second to address this and corrected it with stating he would give it up because many in the community have done so involuntarily. As noted Fishel will not give up his COLA
Thanks for someone that was paying attention, Fishel said he would not give up the cola because it is a legistlative issue. You cannot simply give back the cola or refuse to take the pay. He stated this but it was not reported in total.
Hollinger is very proud of his signs, obviously or he would not have a 5 to 1 ratio to Little or Fishel. It appears that each time Fishel puts one up Hollinger puts up 5 right around his, then along come Little.
Dude

Harrisburg, PA

#9 Apr 1, 2011
MDJs are referred to in PA as District Justices, ie Judges. They are part of the judiciary. Hollinger wins this one!
molly

Carlisle, PA

#10 Apr 1, 2011
Fishel for Magisterial District Judge!!
Denise abbottstown

Strasburg, PA

#12 Apr 1, 2011
Observant Spectator wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for someone that was paying attention, Fishel said he would not give up the cola because it is a legistlative issue. You cannot simply give back the cola or refuse to take the pay. He stated this but it was not reported in total.
Hollinger is very proud of his signs, obviously or he would not have a 5 to 1 ratio to Little or Fishel. It appears that each time Fishel puts one up Hollinger puts up 5 right around his, then along come Little.
Observant spectator, I too have been observing the sings posted in our area. If you look closely to my count Little only has 4 large signs (that I have seen), Fishel at least that many as well as Hollinger. Little is the only one who has not polluted the area this early with yard signs. I do however commend both Little and Hollinger for strict adherence to the zoning codes. This is very becoming to both of them. Good luck to each of the candidates
Also a Spectator

East Berlin, PA

#13 Apr 1, 2011
Mr. Observant Spectator, Mr. Fishel was quite clear when he said he would not give back a COLA. It was reported quite clear. He meant he would not do anything with a COLA but keep it. Pay attention to the details.
Signage, get over it. Everybody has signs. Mr. Fishel has more large signs than Little or Hollinger combined. Also Mr. Fishel's signs were displayed in most cases before they were legally allowed to be displayed. Not a good start for somebody running for a Judges position.
Observant Spectator

Carlisle, PA

#14 Apr 1, 2011
Also a Spectator wrote:
Mr. Observant Spectator, Mr. Fishel was quite clear when he said he would not give back a COLA. It was reported quite clear. He meant he would not do anything with a COLA but keep it. Pay attention to the details.
Signage, get over it. Everybody has signs. Mr. Fishel has more large signs than Little or Hollinger combined. Also Mr. Fishel's signs were displayed in most cases before they were legally allowed to be displayed. Not a good start for somebody running for a Judges position.
Denise and Spectator
If you are not the same person you are at least from the same family. How can praise hollinger and little for following code and condeming fishel for not following code? Hollinger had the first signs up near mcdonalds and fishel followed and then little. All three are not within the 30 days prior to the election that most statute calls for. But at least fishel and holinger knew that the 1st ammendment protects them from these codes.

Lets allow this forum to be educational and productive as it was designed and stop nitpicking the issues that you obviously have no knowledge of the code
Douglas Fishel

Carlisle, PA

#15 Apr 1, 2011
Please allow me to set the record straight about the comments concerning me. I said that I would not give the COLA’s back because they are legistlated and you cannot change it, and as Judge Beshaeut (sorry about the spelling Mark) stated there is no way to give them back. I know because the last 10 years of my career I had a payroll freeze on any raises, merit or COLA. Since I retired I have lived with none or little COLA .08% last year. How many of you complainers have lived without any raise in income?

What I said was you cannot live forever on a no- COLA job when everything else is going up in price. For those that are willing to give it to charity, that is a double hit on the beleaguered taxpayer because we all pay for the COLA and then a second time for the tax deduction for the charity. My statement was misinterpreted in the newspaper and then again in this forum.

As far as the signs, I asked the Hamilton Twp Code Enforcement officer about the changes in the law. Case law prevented enforcement of the 30 day before the election pre-emption code because of the 1st amendment. I am using the same size and amount of signage that I used 6 years ago, and I am running the same campaign tactics.

I was not the first to place a sign, but I soon followed the trend, and did so in Hamilton Twp. When I put the large signage up I received a complaint from Reading Twp. about the signage at 234 & 94, I said that I would happily take it down, but that I felt I was protected by the constitution in doing so. It was not long when a Hollinger sign was beside it and then a Little sign was hung on Tonys’ Dad’s shop across the street. If I am wrong we are all three wrong.

Please lets stop the bantering behind hidden monikers. It is totally non-productive. If you truly have a complaint use your true name, I have. If you want to debate me on any issue use your name and lets have a good exchange of information so that the public can know whom the best candidate truly is. Greg, Tony and myself have promised each other to run a clean and friendly campaign.

My name is Douglas Fishel and I am running for office.
Nice Work

Hanover, PA

#16 Apr 2, 2011
be careful about electing incompetence into the office of district magistrate! Hollinger is the most qualified, experienced, and competent!

there was once a construction worker elected to a magisterial position in york county who had no previous experience in this arena. hopefully that guy looses his seat this time around.
Twp Resident

Gettysburg, PA

#18 Apr 2, 2011
In regards to District 51-3-04, perhaps you might want to read this article before making an informed decision at the voting booth.

http://www.policeone.com/SWAT/articles/91577-...
jwow

Hanover, PA

#19 Apr 2, 2011
Which Little is running for DJ? The husband or the wife?
New Oxford Resident

Carlisle, PA

#21 Apr 3, 2011
Hollinger all the way!
Big Brother

Carlisle, PA

#22 Apr 3, 2011
Twp Resident wrote:
In regards to District 51-3-04, perhaps you might want to read this article before making an informed decision at the voting booth.
http://www.policeone.com/SWAT/articles/91577-...
OMG, Don Bailey is an ambulance chaser Morris has a poor choice in scummy attorneys Did he even get it past summary dismissal?
Big Brother

Carlisle, PA

#23 Apr 3, 2011
Nice Work wrote:
be careful about electing incompetence into the office of district magistrate! Hollinger is the most qualified, experienced, and competent!
there was once a construction worker elected to a magisterial position in york county who had no previous experience in this arena. hopefully that guy looses his seat this time around.
Why don't you just say Dubbs and stop stirring the pot. He did ok and Hanover has nothing to do with the issue in Adams. I see only 1 candidate of the 3 that is bringing less than a BA according to this blog, and certification (at this time) and far less experience than the other 2. All demonstrate competency.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

York Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
wow actavis discontinued but you can still get ... (Jan '16) Dec 29 Generation Wuss 4
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Dec '16 Philly Landlord 91
News York Springs hires new tax collector aftera Aug '16 honest3tax2collec... 1
Help finding property Jul '16 Clementine 1
News Rutter's Opens 'Monument to Convenience' (Dec '15) Feb '16 Steve Gratman 9
News Child rapist gets 13 years (Nov '10) Jul '15 hot mamma 41
News Brian C. McCauslin Courtesy: Somerset County Pr... (Jun '11) Oct '14 bleuone 23

York Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

York Springs Mortgages