Adams County preps for new radios

Adams County preps for new radios

There are 10 comments on the Evening Sun story from Mar 6, 2011, titled Adams County preps for new radios. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

A reported history of dropped or missed radio calls and pages might represent an inconvenience at times for police and firefighters, but some officials say the new York County digital system is worse than a frustration - it puts lives on the line.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

Ghost of Gettysburg

Wrightsville, PA

#1 Mar 7, 2011
I wonder why Harris didn't bid on Adams County, probably because they realize they bit off way more than they could chew in York County and didn't want to go through that again.
Tax money wasted

Harrisburg, PA

#2 Mar 7, 2011
Why why spend money on this. Really - it's Adams County. I live in northern maryland and we never spend money this foolishly.

You guys might as well let the state cops take over the county - they seem to be the only agency that gets things right in PA.
WILLIAM DANA CPA

United States

#3 Mar 7, 2011
THE PROJECTED TAX REVENUES FOR ADAMS COUNTY FOR 2011 ARE ESTIMATED AT $39 MILLION.
ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE THE PROJECTED COST IS $15 TO $30 MILLION ASSUMING NO COST OVERRUNS WHICH HAPPEN ALL TOO OFTEN.

CAN THE COUNTY TAXPAYERS REALLY AFFORD THIS?

OTHER THAN THE FIRE DEPARTMENTS INTERFACE WITH OTHER COUNTIES THE PRESENT SYSTEM APPEARS TO BE WORKING AND ALMOST EVERY YEAR THE COUNTY HAS SPENT MONEY ON UPGRADES
sws

Lancaster, PA

#4 Mar 7, 2011
before you judge this, make sure that this kind of change isn't government mandated. i think you'll find that it is.
Resident

Lucas, OH

#5 Mar 7, 2011
WILLIAM DANA CPA wrote:
THE PROJECTED TAX REVENUES FOR ADAMS COUNTY FOR 2011 ARE ESTIMATED AT $39 MILLION.
ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE THE PROJECTED COST IS $15 TO $30 MILLION ASSUMING NO COST OVERRUNS WHICH HAPPEN ALL TOO OFTEN.
CAN THE COUNTY TAXPAYERS REALLY AFFORD THIS?
OTHER THAN THE FIRE DEPARTMENTS INTERFACE WITH OTHER COUNTIES THE PRESENT SYSTEM APPEARS TO BE WORKING AND ALMOST EVERY YEAR THE COUNTY HAS SPENT MONEY ON UPGRADES
Did you not read in the atricle:

"It's a needed upgrade, emergency officials say, because the current system is outdated - it hasn't had a significant update since 1979.

And it's hard to fix when something breaks.

"We've literally had to go onto eBay to find some pieces when our tech folks had to make repairs," Eline said."

Yes, the system works now, but if.....

Yeah, we can but if.... forever, but what if it was YOU that needed the help and the old current system when down? Try to fine tubes for an old B&W TV.

As for the communication fact, the lack of the ability to communcate in all areas of life causes more trouble that you can imagine. Just look at the communications breakdown in modern history.
FF in Adams County

Carlisle, PA

#6 Mar 7, 2011
sws wrote:
before you judge this, make sure that this kind of change isn't government mandated. i think you'll find that it is.
Yes, it is FCC mandated.
PA Volunteer Firefighter

Carlisle, PA

#7 Mar 7, 2011
Tax money wasted wrote:
Why why spend money on this. Really - it's Adams County. I live in northern maryland and we never spend money this foolishly.
You guys might as well let the state cops take over the county - they seem to be the only agency that gets things right in PA.
Dear Tax money wasted,
You should check your facts before writing comments. The MD counties have updated their radio systems to the 800 MHz systems a few years ago. I believe some are upgrading them again. Maybe you should go check that out and think about the Emergency Services that you call for help, not matter what County/State they come from. If upgrading a radio system is foolish, then MD is foolish too.
Fed-Up

Belleville, PA

#8 Mar 7, 2011
It appears as though a few are mad because the bookmobile wasn't included in the radio upgrade....Ask a few of your MD counties about their upgrade to new equipment that Motorola refused to support because it was obsolete the day it was installed...FCVFRA is all too familiar with that situation....
Keith

Hightstown, NJ

#9 Mar 7, 2011
800 Mhz is a very bad decision given the terrain in the Adams County Area. It is one of the reasons you need MORE towers. You should stop that foolishness now. Today you want to spend 15 to 30 Million on a radio system that will get you down the road a few steps and then, when the 700 Mhz Public Safety Frequencies are implemented, you get to throw away your "new system" and buy another at a much greater cost. Decision makers SAVE THIS POSTING. It is going to happen.
Blue Lighters Unite

Harrisburg, PA

#10 Mar 8, 2011
PA Volunteer Firefighter wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Tax money wasted,
You should check your facts before writing comments. The MD counties have updated their radio systems to the 800 MHz systems a few years ago. I believe some are upgrading them again. Maybe you should go check that out and think about the Emergency Services that you call for help, not matter what County/State they come from. If upgrading a radio system is foolish, then MD is foolish too.
Lets go and run some red lights together.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

York Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Aug 16 Michael S 113
News Man charged with raping girl Aug 5 Fitius T Bluster 6
News Cracking down on 'illegal immigration,' not a v... Jul '17 spytheweb 1
News Aspers Fire Co. dropped (Oct '10) Jul '17 Lil 83
News Aspers teen denied bail in stabbing case (Oct '06) May '17 robin watson 23
News Adams County woman charged in fatal shooting of... Apr '17 Jitterbug 1
wow actavis discontinued but you can still get ... (Jan '16) Dec '16 Generation Wuss 4

York Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

York Springs Mortgages