Up Next: Girl has gift for writing

Up Next: Girl has gift for writing

There are 8 comments on the Evening Sun story from Aug 15, 2010, titled Up Next: Girl has gift for writing. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Sabrina Kyle, 12, wrote a short story called "The Race" for a school assignment at Bermudian Springs Middle School in York Springs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

An Editor

Fort Collins, CO

#1 Aug 16, 2010
As an editor myself, I'm curious to know if the Evening Sun employs proofreaders. If not, you should. There are two glaring errors that should have been caught before this article was published.

First, the omission of two letters at the end of a word can change the meaning of a sentence. For example, the article states, "As part of a six-grade school assignment for her reading class at Bermudian Springs Middle School in York Springs, Kyle wrote a short story using Greek mythology."

"as part of a six-grade school assignment..." means the assignment was given to six grades. Since the girl in the article will be in seventh grade next year, I will conclude writer meant to say that the assignment was given as part her sixTH-grade reading class.

Second, the writer of this article needs to check facts before going to print. Poseidon was a Greek god (male), not goddess (female).

In the big scheme of things, this doesn't seem important. However, if the writer of this article plans to pursue a career in reporting, grammar matters and it's important to check details.
Dr Sherrie

Carlisle, PA

#2 Aug 16, 2010
AMEN! Congrats Sabrina! This sounds like an awesome story! I'd like to read it in it's entirety myself. Keep up the great work an always let your imagination flow!
Dr. Sherrie
Christian Counselor
Dr Sherrie

Carlisle, PA

#3 Aug 16, 2010
Oh mercy "editor" she's a 12 year old child, and she has plenty of time to learn...geeeeezzzz! And brain overloads are not uncommon when one reads for a living...
John Garner

Huntingdon Valley, PA

#4 Aug 16, 2010
"Editor"...edit your own work. Wow, you are so rude. This article is a tribute to a girl doing a great job in learning and expressing herself. You could probably use a lesson from her yourself "Editor".

Sabrina... I am impressed and happy for you.
An Editor

Fort Collins, CO

#5 Aug 16, 2010
Dr Sherrie wrote:
Oh mercy "editor" she's a 12 year old child, and she has plenty of time to learn...geeeeezzzz! And brain overloads are not uncommon when one reads for a living...
I would politely suggest that you go back and read my comments again. If you pay attention this time, you will see at no time do I criticize the 12-year old girl who is the subject of the article. My comments are directed to the newspaper staff and the reporter (Alison Miller) who wrote the article about the little girl.
John Garner

Huntingdon Valley, PA

#6 Aug 16, 2010
An Editor wrote:
<quoted text>
I would politely suggest that you go back and read my comments again. If you pay attention this time, you will see at no time do I criticize the 12-year old girl who is the subject of the article. My comments are directed to the newspaper staff and the reporter (Alison Miller) who wrote the article about the little girl.
Am email to the reporter would have been more appropriate. But we certainly wouldn’t expect an apology from one who has such a deep to criticize. I would politely suggest you show some class.
Tiffany kyle

Reading, PA

#7 Aug 16, 2010
So Proud of you Sabrina!!! WAy To Go!!!!
Jimmy Buffett

Reading, PA

#8 Aug 16, 2010
Great Job Sabrina !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

York Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Jun 21 Seth 105
News Aspers teen denied bail in stabbing case (Oct '06) May 26 robin watson 23
News Adams County woman charged in fatal shooting of... Apr '17 Jitterbug 1
wow actavis discontinued but you can still get ... (Jan '16) Dec '16 Generation Wuss 4
News York Springs hires new tax collector aftera (Aug '16) Aug '16 honest3tax2collec... 1
Help finding property (Jul '16) Jul '16 Clementine 1
News Rutter's Opens 'Monument to Convenience' (Dec '15) Feb '16 Steve Gratman 9

York Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

York Springs Mortgages