State shuts down York Springs assiste...

State shuts down York Springs assisted living facility

There are 83 comments on the Evening Sun story from Oct 16, 2009, titled State shuts down York Springs assisted living facility. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Betty Jones, a resident of Whispering Pines Assisted Living, leaves her former home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

Upset

Mercersburg, PA

#61 Oct 21, 2009
By the way Garry Nichols was against the real estate tax reduction and directed Gary Smith, Dale Pifer, Eloise Swales, Ike Williams and Bob Megonnel to raise the taxes in town next year. So Congratulations, York Springs!
citizen

Gettysburg, PA

#62 Oct 22, 2009
AMAZED wrote:
Take a look at the pictures in the news and in the paper. These are pics of the facility. Have any of you criticizing this home ever visited ? The place may have had problems but so do the large full care homes and they are still running. This was a political witch hunt by several of the residents of York Springs who disliked the Harris' involvement in the community because they asked questions that the Nichol's gang didn't want to answer. For a small community like York Springs, the corruption within the small circle is immense and needs investigated.
Don't be amazed!! It's not the Harris is disliked, we all like him.. It's like have a town clown around.. he amuses all of us with his childish, medicated behaviour...So now all we have is a JUNK YARD again to look at...Great job Julia and Phil, it's always someone elses fault and never your own...Sad to see you leave buddy, going to miss you...
citizen

Gettysburg, PA

#63 Oct 22, 2009
Pining for common sense wrote:
Let the vicious attacks begin! The state has uprooted the elderly, with no permanent plan as to where to move them. The former council, led by Mayor Al Shaull, repeatedly called the Dept of Public Welfare and the Dept of Environmental Protection to bring fallacious complaints in attempt to get rid of Phil. There were residents there that only had public welfare to pay the bill, but Phil took them in. Very few other homes will take them. When a water pipe broke and flooded the basement, the mayor's fire department showed up, laughed themselves stupid, and drove away, with the residents still in jeopardy. But let's hear how Phil deserves this and Whispering Pines was a pigsty. That place was immaculate, but local and state government has shut them down. If you think that it can't happen to you, you're wrong. Your government is out of control with laws and regulations. Al will be laughing himself silly, but many of those residents are homeless. What a bunch of petty children to destroy the largest taxpayer in a pathetic little town.
WOW your retarded. largest taxpayer who never paid his taxes, took equity from a home he had P.O.A, and paid them, but the house belonged to a resident...hmmm. Just like Phil, blame everyone else for his wrong doings...by the way, your spelling is terrible...you must be on gov't living also.. another loafer living off taxpayers dollars while you sit at home all day...
citizen

Gettysburg, PA

#64 Oct 22, 2009
Councilman Bryan Gaura wrote:
Since you want to play the legal game... How about hearing it from someone directly inside the political circle. This was and is nothing more than Gy Nichols, Alford Shull, Gary Smith, Bob Megonnell, Ike Williams, Noel Potter Jr., Eloise Swales, Dale Pifer and other's way of trying to rid themselves of a person who has asked the tough and pointed questions of them with their inability to answer. Have you heard of the kiddie club called "Concerned Citzens of York Springs?" Yup, these are those very people. The same ones that allow Eloise to stealborough services, the same ones that have rigged and successfully stolen the Primary Election insofar that theirs are now the only names that will appear on this Novembers Ballot. The same folks that take the dry language of the written law and usurp it to benefit themselves. The same folks that tried to implement the racist rental inspection ordinance, the same ones that are about to drastically raise taxes so anyone with a medium to low income cannot afford to live here or keep property here. The same morons that have no intentionof doing a damn thing for anyone here accept themselves with our tax dollars. The same dictators that will continue to sue anyone that stands in their way, accept now they will be doing it with our tax dollars. The same Luftwasa that will harass the living pants off of anyone that dare show up to a Council Meeting and ask a pointed question of them. They are the same ones that lied to people at ACACC andhad me held in while I was drafting and updating a code of ordinances since none of our ordinances are enforceable dating back to 1971 or so. The same gestapo that will continue to harass the Harris' until the Harris' finally push back and take them and the Borough for every last dime it is worth. Moving forward you utter imbecile, these diobolicle megalomaniacs continue to maliciously call the DPW and continued to make similar complaints full well knowing that the DPW would record each one as a separate complaint until they had enough to just close the place down. The funny thing is that even the DP knows that the violations have been corrected but still caved like a little girl looking at the boogie man. So, until you get a real clue yourself, why don't you go back to the comics section where you can better understand what is going on!!!
this coming from an INMATE, did you have time to think while taking it in ??? the self appointed retard for york springs has spoken!!! Did you pull out your thesaurus for this one?? alot of big words for an INMATE!!!
You lack credibility today, tomorrow and forever.... Past behaviour predicts future behaviour DRUNK!!!! someone who whines alot and puts up a front that he is there for the community.. Well where were your BRAINS when you were caught drinking and driving twice while my kids were on the road and the safety of others??? Get a life, wife beating alcoholic!!!!!
citizen

Gettysburg, PA

#65 Oct 22, 2009
Appaled wrote:
"Thousands of Mexicans"? What kind of proof do you have of that? Or is this a convenient place to run your mouth where ppl can't defend themselves? You are truly an ignorant bigot, and I hope you get yours someday. And the amazing thing is that you must be so proud of your stand that you put your name. So a bigot yes, but not a coward I guess. By the way, there are plenty of white people with filthy, unkempt houses. I have many Mexican friends and their homes are warm, inviting and clean, just like mine. Are you so bold to leave your address so we may take a field trip to inspect your home? You're an a**hole.
Really, walk by the filthy homes with open doors in York Springs, if there isn't a load of drugs or alcohol being sold out of this homes then their sold out til next shipment!!! I'll guess your living off gov't funds too, since the whole family wants to take a field trip to someones house...Better yet, Careerlink and the PA job bank should be open today....You probably married one so he could stay in the country didn't you????
citizen

Gettysburg, PA

#66 Oct 22, 2009
Bryan wrote:
Does anyone want to know about the ethics charges that were founded against the upcoming Council Members? Yup ETHICS violations. It does seem minor in plain text, but remember they will once again have their greedy mits on your tax dollars. It's so comical to listen to those that defend these racist pigs act like they are angels. I guess so long as they get some of the tax money too...
Clowns!!!
As for the Harris', I am of the understanding that most, if not all of the violations have already been corrected. Oops! I guess the state didn't follow up on that and just aided and abetted a criminal conspiracy.
It's like you have a conversation with yourself on these blogs. whats wrong Goofball, wife in the other room finishing up with phil???
citizen

Gettysburg, PA

#67 Oct 22, 2009
na na na, hey hey hey, good bye, good bye phil....
phil

Gettysburg, PA

#68 Oct 22, 2009
hey Gauraaaaa, the last of the apples need picking, get out there and earn your keep in this country....
phil

Gettysburg, PA

#69 Oct 22, 2009
everyone put your hands together for Doug Deibler, York Springs very own clown for helping Y.S. get rid of the local law enforcement. Now we have the best drugs in town, and local homes to buy liquor from, we don't have to drive far now, thanks DOUG...
papa smurf

Johnstown, PA

#70 Oct 23, 2009
First off, when phil starts selling team harris t-shirts in yorksprings I would like to be the first to order....
secondly, Has yorksprings finished picking apples yet? I'm pretty certain the town is still flowing with mexicians and illegal immigrants, like the one who made the front page, whining about her life as a prositiue on your streets, till she married her john and had a couple citzens of her own..oh yeah how about the drive by shotings?? what's the council doing about that? Oh that's right,you got rid of the police force.
thirdly, I'm glad phil beat the snot out of one of you...he should have been doing it from the start. I just hope he didn't upset your sex life by punching you in the mouth.
papa smurf

Johnstown, PA

#71 Oct 23, 2009
GIVE ME A LAUGH wrote:
Was this written while you were sitting in jail or at home, drunk or sober?
Did ya miss the company there bud, maybe he should start slapping some adults around and get some justice in yorksprings
lola

Johnstown, PA

#72 Oct 23, 2009
maybe if phil kicked dale pifer in the butt the whole council would get nose bleeds.. as for phils mail order bride atleast he went out of town and isn't tappin' the apple pickers wives..
Councilman Bryan Gaura

Carlisle, PA

#73 Oct 23, 2009
citizen wrote:
<quoted text> this coming from an INMATE, did you have time to think while taking it in ??? the self appointed retard for york springs has spoken!!! Did you pull out your thesaurus for this one?? alot of big words for an INMATE!!!
You lack credibility today, tomorrow and forever.... Past behaviour predicts future behaviour DRUNK!!!! someone who whines alot and puts up a front that he is there for the community.. Well where were your BRAINS when you were caught drinking and driving twice while my kids were on the road and the safety of others??? Get a life, wife beating alcoholic!!!!!
Yer fuhnie danny!!!
You are right, I don't care about YS after all of this. Espescially after Eloise Swales assaulted Julia last night whilesitting at the Council table, and while Gary Nichols assaulted Phil Harris at the same meeting. You may all want to opine that perhaps they deserved it... so be it, but it doesn't justify those assaults. Have fun YS while I sit back and watch in hysterics as the town goes to ruins. Trust me when I say that I now plan on sticking around just to watch the utter failure. Just to clue you in, the cuurent budget is proposed to be in excess of $141k. Of that, a mere <$30k toward tangibl services for the tax payers. Naturally I will be voting against such a budget since it mostly benefits Nazi Shull and Nazi Nichols and their good ole girls club, but I can assure you that it will be passed since the Luftwasa for the Dictators is in the majority on this anyway. Fred Bothe having committed a crime while officially representing the Borough, Eloise Swales whom commited an assault while at a Council meeting and the quiet minion himself Dale Monnier. Thank them for the outrageous tax hike that's coming... Not me. Quite frankly, I am merely going to occupy the Council seat to assure myself that one of you morons do not. ;)
Councilman Bryan Gaura

Carlisle, PA

#74 Oct 23, 2009
I came to this town because it was quaint and peaceful. God damn, had I known it was full, and I mean full to the hilt, with absolute, uneducated simple, half witted, one tooth people, I may have chose Bahgdad instead. At last there it is run by folks that know how to get things done. I HATE YORK SPRINGS!!!! I HATE YORK SPRINGERS!!!! I HATE THE NAZIS IN YORK SPRINGS!!!! I HOPE IT BURNS TO THE GROUND!!!!

“Justa truckin'”

Since: Aug 09

Abbottstown, PA

#75 Oct 24, 2009
York Springs...aka known as Little Mexico!
What a joke....
Voice of Reason

Carlisle, PA

#76 Oct 24, 2009
As an outsider reading all of these posts, and playing arbitrator for just a moment -- I have come to my conclusion about several things, who is at fault, who the victim is, and how to fix things. Caution, you may not want to hear my opinions.

Who is at fault?-- Clearly the most fault lies with the voters of York Springs for letting the lower life forms of York Spring to retain office. Based upon the previous 75 posts, it is fair to say they ALL are childish and foolish, and obviously unintelligent.

Who is the victim?-- Sounds contrary to the first summary, but obviously the residents of York Springs are the victims. I am sure they would all read this and the many other articles about the rants and antics, and cringe. Newsflash to the two sides of this peeing contest, you are all making fools of yourself and your town. Grow up.

How to fix this?-- This is the easiest answer to come up with. Although the solution is easy to recognize, the difficulty is with helping so many people realize their contribution to the problems there. YOU ALL NEED TO QUIT, SHUT UP, AND MOVE ON WITH PERSONAL LIVES, NOT PUBLIC ONES.

Regarding the home: No one in York Springs has the political clout to have the DPW act without cause or reason. This message is too both the owners to realize that no one locally had anything to do with their problems, and also to the other group as a notice that you know you had nothing to do with it, because you are big fish in a small pond, nothing more.

The home had serious issues. Many do. I don't question this closure, just why more aren't...

Thanks for attending the Dr. Voice Show!
jody

Brentwood, TN

#77 Oct 24, 2009
AMAZED wrote:
<quoted text>
Jody, You are 100% wrong. The nursing homes have advanced notice that the state is coming in for inspection and the workers are told to be prepared.
I am not wrong, I have worked at nursing homes and personal care homes. the license that is issued by the state lasts for one year. Therefore, administration is able to predict a timeframe in which the state will visit, however they do not have an exact date in which their inspection will be conducted. Of course the employees are told to prepare, having a state inspection is stressful. Personal care homes used to have a notice as to when state was coming, however that to changed a few years ago.
mae

Brentwood, TN

#78 Oct 24, 2009
When did this become about who is living on government assistance? I thought this was about the ordeal that these residents are going through? There are many that worked their entire lives and receive SSI. That SSI however does not amount to sh*t for most, around $700.00. When it comes time to place these individuals in to personal care because family can't/won't take care of them, the government kicks in about $300.00 to personal care homes to maintain care of them. Out of that 1,000, personal items, medications, and anything else for the resident must be bought with $85.00. So, personal care homes take in SSi residents with state supplement and they are lucky to receive $900.00 monthly to provide, food, transportation, personal care, utilities, laundry, and wages for the employees. On top of that there are taxes, mortgages, food bills, upkeep, outings, activites...the list goes on and on. If you think that these personal care homes are init for the money....wrong! They provide love and safety, guidance and respect, a person to laugh with and cry with. They provide a family to those that do not have and an extension to those that do. How about some of you great community members stop by your local pch and VOLUNTEER! You all what to wha wha wha about the treatment of these residents, however do you want to pitch in and help?
horrified

Lebanon, PA

#79 Mar 16, 2010
AMAZED wrote:
... I challenge anyone to come forward who has never found any droppings bugs etc in their private home. This facility is like a home and not like a full care nursing home like Adams County Green Acres.
I know people who worked at the county facility who can attest to the same issues there that were cited at Whispering Pines. This was a witch hunt, plain and simple conducted by thugs from York Springs.
I also had family there for ONE DAY!! My sister went to visit before I got out, but she was horrified and had NIGHTMARES from what she saw! All I know is it had to be pretty bad for that to have happened! It was a few years ago, so I do not remember all the details but she knew I would never have put up with what I saw.
We did NOT complain to the State but only because we promptly removed our loved one and didnt have contact with the place again. But I have complained about other places.
What was equally horrifying was that this place was recommended by a social worker.
And as many have said - there are plenty of bad places out there. Someone needs to be doing closer inspections. Additionaly, the State should NOT give advanced notice for any of their inspections. This only allows these same bad places to cover up.
horrified

Lebanon, PA

#80 Mar 16, 2010
jody wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not wrong, I have worked at nursing homes and personal care homes. the license that is issued by the state lasts for one year. Therefore, administration is able to predict a timeframe in which the state will visit, however they do not have an exact date in which their inspection will be conducted. Of course the employees are told to prepare, having a state inspection is stressful. Personal care homes used to have a notice as to when state was coming, however that to changed a few years ago.
IF it has changed, they are still getting notice from somewhere. My job takes me to those types of facilities, and they often can't schedule an appointment with me 'cause the State is coming in to do an inspection! Hmm ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

York Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Jul 14 man bull 77
News Man sentenced for spitting on state trooper, br... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Cumberland County bridge replacement plans now ... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Rutter's Opens 'Monument to Convenience' (Dec '15) Feb '16 Steve Gratman 9
wow actavis discontinued but you can still get ... Feb '16 Szzrup 3
News Police: Bust shows heroin trade has changed (Sep '09) Jan '16 SHANNY 14
News Heroin bust results surprise even cops (Sep '09) Jan '16 Robert Raymond Ho... 29

York Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

York Springs Mortgages