State shuts down York Springs assiste...

State shuts down York Springs assisted living facility

There are 83 comments on the Evening Sun story from Oct 16, 2009, titled State shuts down York Springs assisted living facility. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Betty Jones, a resident of Whispering Pines Assisted Living, leaves her former home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
family

Harrisburg, PA

#1 Oct 17, 2009
I am so glad to see this has finally happened. For the safety of the residents living there, this is the best thing for them. I visited relatives several years ago and it was dirty then. I can't imagine after all these years how it was.
AMEN thank you GOD!
AMAZED

Sebring, FL

#2 Oct 17, 2009
I hope the Nichol's gang in York Springs is satisfied they displaced these elderly residents and closed down their home. This was politically motivated by the crybaby's who think they own the town. Constantly making phone calls to the state about petty issues. All nursing homes have notice from the state when inspections are coming. They have time to "clean up" and appear to be spotless. I challenge anyone to come forward who has never found any droppings bugs etc in their private home. This facility is like a home and not like a full care nursing home like Adams County Green Acres.
I know people who worked at the county facility who can attest to the same issues there that were cited at Whispering Pines. This was a witch hunt, plain and simple conducted by thugs from York Springs.
ysfr

Gardners, PA

#3 Oct 17, 2009
it took long enough
Amber in W Manheim

Bloomington, IN

#4 Oct 17, 2009
Where is the respect for the residents of this facility? I am not putting down the residents or their families because it is a difficult decision on the families to put their family members in an assisted living facility or nursing home setting but to have the residents be living in a substandard facility.
Monkey

Carlisle, PA

#5 Oct 17, 2009
I feel bad for the residents. They have to be readjusted to the way things are now and it is sad. i do not feel bad for the owners of Whispering Pines. They knew what they were doing and it did not turn out in their favor. This whole why me and "they are targeting me" crap is something that should be left for the halls of High School. Take ownership for your actions and quit crying. Take a tissue, blow your nose, and hang your heads in shame.
It is no ones fault but your onw.
jody

Brentwood, TN

#6 Oct 17, 2009
AMAZED wrote:
I hope the Nichol's gang in York Springs is satisfied they displaced these elderly residents and closed down their home. This was politically motivated by the crybaby's who think they own the town. Constantly making phone calls to the state about petty issues. All nursing homes have notice from the state when inspections are coming. They have time to "clean up" and appear to be spotless. I challenge anyone to come forward who has never found any droppings bugs etc in their private home. This facility is like a home and not like a full care nursing home like Adams County Green Acres.
I know people who worked at the county facility who can attest to the same issues there that were cited at Whispering Pines. This was a witch hunt, plain and simple conducted by thugs from York Springs.
No facility either nursing or personal care receive a notice from the state announcing their inspection. If you find droppings in your own home, I would like to think that you would take care of the problem. That is what the state is implying, they do not expect perfection, they want policies set that will take care of issues that arise in pch's.
AMAZED

Hanover, PA

#7 Oct 17, 2009
jody wrote:
<quoted text>
No facility either nursing or personal care receive a notice from the state announcing their inspection. If you find droppings in your own home, I would like to think that you would take care of the problem. That is what the state is implying, they do not expect perfection, they want policies set that will take care of issues that arise in pch's.
Jody, You are 100% wrong. The nursing homes have advanced notice that the state is coming in for inspection and the workers are told to be prepared.
Amber in W Manheim

Bloomington, IN

#8 Oct 17, 2009
AMAZED wrote:
<quoted text>
Jody, You are 100% wrong. The nursing homes have advanced notice that the state is coming in for inspection and the workers are told to be prepared.
I think that they should be prepared wether or not they know about these inspections or not. JMO It is like me being a hairstylist; I should be prepared to inspections from the state wether I know if they are coming or not. Things need to be clean always in those kinds of envioronments.
Hannah Over

Bloomington, IN

#9 Oct 17, 2009
I think it is a little of both in this story. Perhaps the facility was not pristine, but I have been in the pest control industry for over 20 years and it has to be really bad before the state will get involved. And the state will not really get involved unless there is an outside influence like many complaints. So I am guessing this place was not perfect and the folks that did not like the owners called the state excessively. I know of plenty of BIG nursing home companies that have terrible facilities in this state. But they are not ever shut down and shuttered. I guess only the mom and pops out there with out the political connections and deep pockets for lawyers get this treatment.
scott

Seymour, IN

#10 Oct 17, 2009
Looks like Harris paid his property taxes for nothing. Maybe next year he will let it go to tax sale instead of paying.
been there

Elliottsburg, PA

#11 Oct 17, 2009
Well I HAD family there,and that was 6 years ago.We promply removed her to a different facility because it was a dirty,filthy home then.And Mr. Harris had no concern then for his residents and doubt that he had changed.I informed an ombudsman of all these findings 6 years ago........gee,what took so long.
wow

Mercersburg, PA

#12 Oct 17, 2009
I can't believe the State would treat these poor residents like that and make them move out of their home. Residents wrote letters to the State begging them to not close the facility , they cried, they refused to eat, they were extremely upset with the State workers. They kept asking them - "Why are you doing this to us? We want to stay here." The State representatives refused to talk to the residents! They showed no compassion and offered no explanation. They are cold, heartless people who don't care about the elderly.
AMAZED

Hanover, PA

#13 Oct 17, 2009
Take a look at the pictures in the news and in the paper. These are pics of the facility. Have any of you criticizing this home ever visited ? The place may have had problems but so do the large full care homes and they are still running. This was a political witch hunt by several of the residents of York Springs who disliked the Harris' involvement in the community because they asked questions that the Nichol's gang didn't want to answer. For a small community like York Springs, the corruption within the small circle is immense and needs investigated.
Pining for common sense

Williamsport, PA

#14 Oct 17, 2009
Let the vicious attacks begin! The state has uprooted the elderly, with no permanent plan as to where to move them. The former council, led by Mayor Al Shaull, repeatedly called the Dept of Public Welfare and the Dept of Environmental Protection to bring fallacious complaints in attempt to get rid of Phil. There were residents there that only had public welfare to pay the bill, but Phil took them in. Very few other homes will take them. When a water pipe broke and flooded the basement, the mayor's fire department showed up, laughed themselves stupid, and drove away, with the residents still in jeopardy. But let's hear how Phil deserves this and Whispering Pines was a pigsty. That place was immaculate, but local and state government has shut them down. If you think that it can't happen to you, you're wrong. Your government is out of control with laws and regulations. Al will be laughing himself silly, but many of those residents are homeless. What a bunch of petty children to destroy the largest taxpayer in a pathetic little town.
Softball10

Craigsville, VA

#15 Oct 17, 2009
I work for nursing homes, and they know when thier annual survey is coming but the state can show up on a complaint unannounced. If the ownership would have fixed the issues in a timely mannor they would still be open. The last resort for the state is to close it down, not taken lightly. There are many other ways they prefer to punish, fines, not paying for new admittance, and so forth. Usually the only way for the state to see the true state of a facility is on a complaint survey. The reason the state doesn't take everything theresidents say as truth is because they are emotionally involved, and may be overlooking the things that could seriously hurt them.
WOW

Dallas, PA

#16 Oct 17, 2009
I also have worked in several nursing homes in the Hanover/Gettysburg/York area, and agree with Softball10. There is an annual inspection which is usually announced within a 3-4 week time frame. But a complaint can and should be answered without notice. This can be legitimate, from filthy kitchen conditions, to resident abuse, to complaints from a disgruntled former employee. The State has the responsibility to the residents to check the validity of the complaints. At the time of the inspection if there is no "iminent threat to residents", the home continues in business but with a list of things to fix, and a time frame to fix them. Then the State returns to see if the concern has been fixed.

The worst thing a facility can do is to incur repeat violations, without fixing them, or try to "clean it up" for inspection time. Yes, we all may not be prepared for a visit from the Queen to our homes, but surely the Pastor and his wife should be able to visit--meaning the environment should be presentable, safe, clean, tidy and suitable for guests. HOWEVER, these folks weren't guests, this was their home. And residents are removed only when the home repeatedly fails to fix the violations.

The State has come into a place I've worked at and cited them for having hand sanitizer on the tables for residents to use before meals, citing a confused resident might ingest it. Sounds ridiculous? The same place was also cited for having 3 chipped plates in the kitchen's stock. They can be very petty, but when they have to resort to displacing residents on a cold, rainy morning, the great chance is that the home had AMPLE opportunity to make corrections. I am not judging the facility, I was never there, and I am sure the staff came to love and provided great care. They were never cited for resident abuse or anything like that. Good luck to the staff, residents, and families of those displaced.
Cara

Fort Littleton, PA

#17 Oct 17, 2009
AMAZED wrote:
<quoted text>
No-you are 100% wrong because state can show up at anytime there is a complaint made-also the yearly state inspection is not announced-you know around when they may come in but not the exact date
kpp

Shade Gap, PA

#18 Oct 17, 2009
Pining for common sense wrote:
Let the vicious attacks begin! The state has uprooted the elderly, with no permanent plan as to where to move them. The former council, led by Mayor Al Shaull, repeatedly called the Dept of Public Welfare and the Dept of Environmental Protection to bring fallacious complaints in attempt to get rid of Phil. There were residents there that only had public welfare to pay the bill, but Phil took them in. Very few other homes will take them. When a water pipe broke and flooded the basement, the mayor's fire department showed up, laughed themselves stupid, and drove away, with the residents still in jeopardy. But let's hear how Phil deserves this and Whispering Pines was a pigsty. That place was immaculate, but local and state government has shut them down. If you think that it can't happen to you, you're wrong. Your government is out of control with laws and regulations. Al will be laughing himself silly, but many of those residents are homeless. What a bunch of petty children to destroy the largest taxpayer in a pathetic little town.
If you new anything about this guy he is not paying his taxes.
LONG TIME YS RESIDENT

Shade Gap, PA

#19 Oct 17, 2009
I have not talked to one person in this town whose heart does not go out for these residents. There is nothing more that we would like to see is someone to be able to come in and take over this assisted living facility and run it with true love and compassion for their residents. This are could really use a personal care home for our loved ones that we would not have to drive 30 minutes to go see them. However, there are many sides to this story that people are missing. The facility was shut down in May and was only operating since then pending the adjudication of the appeal. No new residents were allowed into the facility since that time. During that same time it was to be sold at sheriff's sale due to back taxes. However, at the last hour the taxes were paid that needed to be paid (taxes were not brought up to date, just the back ones to keep him hanging on until next year). I only heard how he got that tax money, but will not repeat it here as I don't have proof of it but I know there are people out there that do know the truth. This town is so sick of the Harris' trying to run the town into the ground by all of his frivilous lawsuits. Borough Council is certainly not a well paid job and think about it, why would anyone want to "serve" when he's try to sue just about everyone that has been on it since he has been involved. I have seen many "tragedies" during my 34 years here and everytime the community rallies around the "victims". This time the true "victims" are the residents and our hearts do go out for them. The Harris's - Goodby!!!!
Jackie Bushman

Brentwood, TN

#20 Oct 18, 2009
This was all a ploy so now they can move thousands of Mexicans into this place. You think it was dirty before, give it some time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

York Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Thu Demitri 74
News Man sentenced for spitting on state trooper, br... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Cumberland County bridge replacement plans now ... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Rutter's Opens 'Monument to Convenience' (Dec '15) Feb '16 Steve Gratman 9
wow actavis discontinued but you can still get ... Feb '16 Szzrup 3
News Police: Bust shows heroin trade has changed (Sep '09) Jan '16 SHANNY 14
News Heroin bust results surprise even cops (Sep '09) Jan '16 Robert Raymond Ho... 29

York Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

York Springs Mortgages