York City takes aim at 'predatory' towing

A proposal that would restrict towing in York hasn't moved beyond an introduction before York City Council, but it's already causing a stir with owners and employees of towing companies that do business in the city. Full Story
lets discuss

York, PA

#43 May 9, 2011
I understand the argument that if you are parked illegally, then you can be towed. Fine. But. BUT! I once left my car in a lot that I thought was safe - there were not many signs posted. I didn't want to drive home after having too many drinks, so I did the responsible thing and called a York Cab. The next morning, my car was gone. Not only did I have to pay $200 to have my car towed three blocks away, I also had to wait six hours until some guy got himself out of bed and ready to give me my car. I was infuriated.
George

Washington, DC

#44 May 9, 2011
lets discuss wrote:
I understand the argument that if you are parked illegally, then you can be towed. Fine. But. BUT! I once left my car in a lot that I thought was safe - there were not many signs posted. I didn't want to drive home after having too many drinks, so I did the responsible thing and called a York Cab. The next morning, my car was gone. Not only did I have to pay $200 to have my car towed three blocks away, I also had to wait six hours until some guy got himself out of bed and ready to give me my car. I was infuriated.
"there were not many signs posted." I think that pretty much explains it right there! You saw signs and ignored them. that equals being parked illegally! Sounds like you were alerady parked illegally before you were drunk! Nice try! LOL
I KNOW

Philadelphia, PA

#45 May 9, 2011
yeh well wrote:
First thing I want to say is I have never been towed in York or by one of these companys so there is no prejudice. But I have done business in York for many years and this Intowne Motors are predators who are using towing to steal from people! His comment that he is just trying to run a business is bull! The best thing York could do is run scum like them out of town! They give York a bad name!
I have been so pleased with Intown Motors that I always encourage anyone who has a lot w/ towing needs to use them. They do not steal cars! They drive by the lots they have contracts w/ and also accept calls from people such as myself that want to have a car removed from their lot.

i have 3 signs at each of my parking places and people still park there... i don't feel the least bit sorry for them. my spaces are $25 to the people who rent them. so why should others park there for free?

thank you intown!!!!
avoid

Seven Valleys, PA

#46 May 9, 2011
avoid the city and avoid fines and towing! simple
I KNOW

Philadelphia, PA

#47 May 9, 2011
neighbor wrote:
In towne motors are a bunch of crooks, I stopped at the stadium grill with a couple buddies of mine after work one day. We parked in the parking lot and walked inside not even 10 minutes later In towne had 3 trucks in the parking lot trying to tow our cars and they would not release the cars even after the owner came out and told them we were inside the business. That's why In towne don't want to see this law passed, if it's passed they can't try to cheat people anymore.
that is soooooo not true! were you parked in the resturants lot? doubt it...if the owener said it was his lot and you were there they would have dropped your car. also, there is no way that you were there for 10 min b4 3 intown trucks were there...especially since they don't have 3 wreckers.
I KNOW

Philadelphia, PA

#48 May 9, 2011
lets discuss wrote:
hey there buddy 1 sign is all that is needed... maybe you had too much to drink b4 you walked into the bar if you couldn't figure that out. was this a city bar? if so chances are i know the lot...drive back through and take a look at the 15+ sings that extend the length of the parking lot.
i think it's a good idea for 24 hr pick up...but keep in mind it was not a law and the same driver that towed your car at 3am isn't going to be bright eyed and ready to open up shop at 8 am for you to get your car. you could have saved yourself some $ and some tears if you just read the sign...even if it was just one

Since: Jan 08

York

#49 May 9, 2011
I KNOW wrote:
<quoted text>
that is soooooo not true! were you parked in the resturants lot? doubt it...if the owener said it was his lot and you were there they would have dropped your car. also, there is no way that you were there for 10 min b4 3 intown trucks were there...especially since they don't have 3 wreckers.
Don't be so quick to say this person is lying. I know someone whose car was parked in a business' parking lot and had her car towed. The business owner went to bat for her, explaining that he never authorized Intown to put any signs up in his parking lot. Intown had to refund all of her money. I fully believe that it only took 10 minutes for Intown to show up and tow this person's car away. They may help you out, rightfully so, but there are other times when they are just plain dirty.
heh

Philadelphia, PA

#50 May 9, 2011
What most people fail to realize is that even a person in a no-park zone (knowingly or otherwise) is entitled to due process.

This is not a fine levied by the local authorities. It it some outrageous fee assessed by a crooked company that claims it only goes after those breaking the law.

Since when did we allow private companies the oppportunity to be judge, jury and executioner?
all accepted

Philadelphia, PA

#51 May 9, 2011
Auditor wrote:
Somebody please call the PA Department of Revenue and the IRS and ask them to audit this "cash-only" business!
it's a legit bzns that accepts cash & credit cards. only accepted in the field would be cash since the drivers don't keep a credit card machine in the truck
I KNOW

Philadelphia, PA

#52 May 9, 2011
York Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be so quick to say this person is lying. I know someone whose car was parked in a business' parking lot and had her car towed. The business owner went to bat for her, explaining that he never authorized Intown to put any signs up in his parking lot. Intown had to refund all of her money. I fully believe that it only took 10 minutes for Intown to show up and tow this person's car away. They may help you out, rightfully so, but there are other times when they are just plain dirty.
from the sounds of your statement the owner went to bat for your friend after her car was already towed & got her car released. i've had friends cars released too...it doesn't mean that they parked in a space they should have...from the previous poster they said they & the owner confronted 3 trucks w/ in 10 min. i call bs
George

Washington, DC

#53 May 9, 2011
InTown is known for placing signs without the property owners permission. if this is the cas and they get caught the state should take away their license.
I KNOW

Philadelphia, PA

#54 May 9, 2011
john doe 000069 wrote:
<quoted text>You are a total loser. It doesn't matter about the signs. What inntown motors does is illegal. PERIOD. I think their spotters use jeeps. Just remember this the abortion doctor in Philadelphia was taken down by the Feds for selling pain pills. Pa tried to cover it up. The Feds need to come in and shut these crooks down. How can you park in a parking lot and have those crooks hook up to your car or truck and still have them steal the car? Even after the owner came out and said they were parked. And those crooks still took the vehicles. I just pray to god this oridance passes. Then everyone should go to inntown motors and have a celebration. I have read of accounts when inntown motors tried to steal a car the person just got in and put the car in reverse and ripped the car right off the hook. Good. I also read about inntown motors tried to steal someones car very early in morning. The tow truck driver got surrounded by a mob of people dragging the guy out of the tow truck. Good. I really think it was neat when the owner got clocked up side the head with a snack machine.
1. once a car is on the hook it belongs to the tow co. if someone pulled there car off the hook they'd be hit for damages...just like people who drive off w/ a boot.
2. the driver that got attacked was on the corner of queen and princess removing a car from a closed bzns
3. it was a gumball machine. not a vending machine.
Jim Wilson

York, PA

#55 May 9, 2011
Just for the record, Toby used to be my partner at On The Circuit. Our business was very shady and I didn't like the things going on there but I was afraid of Tob as he has a major drug and anger problem. We were making great money but I knew it wouldn't last running a business like that. When he was convicted of his charges, I breathed a huge sigh of relief as I knew he wouldn't be coming back to OTC. Opie ad I now have a legitimate business and Toby is back to his same old crap.
I KNOW

Philadelphia, PA

#56 May 9, 2011
you can mark my comments as "spam", "cluless" & "nuts" all you want. but you do that since you have no valid point to dispute mine.

so allow me to start the judgements on this one for you. lol
eckert fest

Philadelphia, PA

#57 May 9, 2011
Jim Wilson wrote:
Just for the record, Toby used to be my partner at On The Circuit. Our business was very shady and I didn't like the things going on there but I was afraid of Tob as he has a major drug and anger problem. We were making great money but I knew it wouldn't last running a business like that. When he was convicted of his charges, I breathed a huge sigh of relief as I knew he wouldn't be coming back to OTC. Opie ad I now have a legitimate business and Toby is back to his same old crap.
you had cameras that recorded all the smuts you all had in there all the time. if he is/was your frined you should look at those 4 fingers pointing back at you. age/trouble didn't ever seem to bother you guys in your off hours either. i think my "name" should remind you of that
Jim Wilson

York, PA

#58 May 9, 2011
We had a good time back then, eckert fest was somthing to look forward to every year! I remember Gumby snorting a rail of coke off of my schwantz. Women/girls, drugs and booze was our way of life in the late 90's. Unfortunately, Toby is still into that stuff and we have all grown up.
York Sux

United States

#59 May 9, 2011
Eckert fest, or should I say, turd fest? No one here is fooled. We know that you and I Know are the same person. I'd venture a guess that your name is Toby. You and Princess Jim should take it outside so the rest of us don't have to be inundated with your incessant babble.

Oh yea, no one likes your shady "towing" business and can't wait to see it go under. You've robbed too many decent people of their hard earned money and it's coming back to bite you. Enjoy!
eckert fest

Philadelphia, PA

#60 May 9, 2011
Jim Wilson wrote:
We had a good time back then, eckert fest was somthing to look forward to every year! I remember Gumby snorting a rail of coke off of my schwantz. Women/girls, drugs and booze was our way of life in the late 90's. Unfortunately, Toby is still into that stuff and we have all grown up.
ewww, you said gumby. lol... i remember the 1st time i saw him. he came running after our car when we drove past the library...ahh, the 90's.
o and your response confirms you're the real deal
eckert fest

Philadelphia, PA

#61 May 9, 2011
York Sux wrote:
Eckert fest, or should I say, turd fest? No one here is fooled. We know that you and I Know are the same person. I'd venture a guess that your name is Toby. You and Princess Jim should take it outside so the rest of us don't have to be inundated with your incessant babble.
Oh yea, no one likes your shady "towing" business and can't wait to see it go under. You've robbed too many decent people of their hard earned money and it's coming back to bite you. Enjoy!
i am the same person... i am not toby. i wasn't trying to say i wasn't the same person. good work there captatin obvious
Jim Wilson

York, PA

#62 May 9, 2011
Nothing wrong with Gumby, he would do anything for a woman or a man...lmao. Let's not get off track here as we were supposed to be commenting on toby whining about the city trying to regulate towing. Props to Henry Nixon and the Coucil for proposing this amendment. Haven't heard of any problems with towing companies until brother Tob was released and had to find another easy way out! Gimme a break with the "thin profit magin" as I've seen you tow nearly 100 vehicles in 1 weekend. If the insurance is that high on your vehicles then get rid of some. No reason that you need 7 trucks unless you are "trolling" lots around the county.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 2 hr Ed Swindell 51,527
Abby Lee Miller of 'Dance Moms' will visit York... 6 hr amw 8
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 8 hr Skip Intel - Blam... 4,021
OIB Motorcycle Club? (May '13) 10 hr sledge 2
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) Mon R Nixon 186
Hanover house featured on Animal Planet's 'Haun... (Oct '10) Sep 23 American Airman 87
Assumable Mortgages in York County Sep 16 FHAMan 1

York Jobs

York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

York News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in York

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]