BAE Systems lays off about 50 employe...

BAE Systems lays off about 50 employees at York County plant

There are 25 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Feb 12, 2011, titled BAE Systems lays off about 50 employees at York County plant. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

BAE Systems said Saturday it was laying off about 50 people at its West Manchester Township plant because of a reduction in workload.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Scott

York, PA

#1 Feb 12, 2011
If the plant receives work from the government, the laid-off union employees have a good chance of being called back, Edsall said.
Notice that the salaried people arent mentioned
so the UNION has a chance to come back - while the salaried guys are basically out of luck
tell me again why college is a sure ticket to employment?
Not surprised

Carlisle, PA

#2 Feb 12, 2011
Hey Dummycrats blame Bush for this one!
employee

York, PA

#3 Feb 12, 2011
they wont call you back trust me
john doe 000069

York, PA

#4 Feb 12, 2011
They should have just laid off all the lazy union workers. Break the worthless union.
a place for everything

Hanover, PA

#5 Feb 12, 2011
my teacher told me unions were formed back in the 1930s by mafia guys that wanted to control the government and the economy by haveing the power to shut the cuntry down. Like by going on strike and stuff. I did some research and it sounds to me like the union guys sould all buy a pair of cement shoes from the free masons (another story) and go swiming in the hudson with jimmy haffa
no what

York, PA

#6 Feb 12, 2011
Earlier this month, union employees rejected the company's second contract offer----imagine that-----thats what happens with unions and greed
Taxpayer

Shippensburg, PA

#7 Feb 13, 2011
Scott wrote:
If the plant receives work from the government, the laid-off union employees have a good chance of being called back, Edsall said.
so the UNION has a chance to come back - while the salaried guys are basically out of luck
Great. You alone have managed to lower the IQ cumulative of this entire area. Tell me again how you made it out of High School.
we care

Manteo, NC

#8 Feb 13, 2011
a place for everything wrote:
my teacher told me unions were formed back in the 1930s by mafia guys that wanted to control the government and the economy by haveing the power to shut the cuntry down. Like by going on strike and stuff. I did some research and it sounds to me like the union guys sould all buy a pair of cement shoes from the free masons (another story) and go swiming in the hudson with jimmy haffa
You should see if there is a chance for a refund somehow on what little education you have
Listen Up Union Members

York, PA

#9 Feb 13, 2011
In 2001 the York plant was about to be closed, then 9-11 happened and billions of dollars came to the York plant. Current change in the Mideast will drive demand for BAE products up and one war trigger will send billions of defense dollars to BAE for armored vehicle equiptment again. BAE is a global mega-company and they do not care where product is built and when the Army wants the equiptment bad they do not care what they pay for it. Army will pay for the transfer/startup of production elsewhere, justified due to workforce issues at York. There will be no financial pain to a big company like BAE and they may even profit from the extra cost of moving production and training a new work force. In the end our taxes that go to the military will be used to move equiptment and York jobs elsewhere. Think about the big picture!
Wondering

York, PA

#10 Feb 13, 2011
john doe 000069 wrote:
They should have just laid off all the lazy union workers. Break the worthless union.
You should know the meaning of that word quite well as all you have time to do is post on these blogs.
PeteB

AOL

#11 Feb 13, 2011
BAE is run stupidly - by union and management. The "its not my job" mentality is what keeps these layoffs going - no one is cros trained, so when your particular job is finished- you are out the door...been that way since it was BMY, and you think it would change, but thesed guys are used to being laid off 2 of every 5 years.....Look around - times HAVE changed and if you ain't rollin with them, learn this phrase - "Would you like fries with that?"
FED

Christmas, FL

#12 Feb 13, 2011
Scott wrote:
The statement was made by the union prsident, who has nothing to do with bring salaried workers back.
Salaried employees will return as deemed necessary by contract requirements of the company.
With the negotiating of a new Gov't contract it is probable that salaried employees will return before work even hits the floor.
Whether as a direct charge to the contract effort or as part of the overhead rate salaried employees will return to implement and control contract terms and conditions.

Since: Aug 10

Spring Grove, PA

#13 Feb 13, 2011
this old news allready.69 more union people getting laid off in march.
The Bottom Line

York, PA

#14 Feb 13, 2011
If you are ignorant to the situation, you really should keep your comments to yourself. Unions were created to protect workers. Do some research on companies killing workers that wanted a safer work environment. History folks. Oh and by the way, the United States is a Union as well. Union basically means people with a voice and vote. So if you dont like "Union" might as well move along to another country
Just_Me

United States

#15 Feb 14, 2011
no what wrote:
Earlier this month, union employees rejected the company's second contract offer----imagine that-----thats what happens with unions and greed
If that was truly the catalyst for the layoff, why are half of the laid off workers salaried, non-union, employees?
Onyx Cube

Mount Laurel, NJ

#16 Feb 14, 2011
But Obummy just said we have turned the corner and employment is getting better. Oh my, I'm so cornfused.
Dinosaurs

Denver, PA

#17 Feb 14, 2011
It isn't 1930 anymore. Unions are the main reason the US is falling behind other countries. They protect lazy workers. Companies must pay more for less work and they turn out inferior products that are more expensive. The car companies are perfect examples. Welcome to the real world. Unions have outlived their usefulness.
AMERICAN

Clifton Heights, PA

#18 Feb 14, 2011
The funny thing about this was seeing this layoff as Fox43's Add1JOB story last night!!

I nearly pi$$ed myself laughing!!

By the way, labor unions "jumped the shark" years ago, when states enacted labor laws to protect workers. They are archaic and only serve to help themselves and not the actual workers.
Just_Me

United States

#19 Feb 14, 2011
AMERICAN wrote:
The funny thing about this was seeing this layoff as Fox43's Add1JOB story last night!!
I nearly pi$$ed myself laughing!!
By the way, labor unions "jumped the shark" years ago, when states enacted labor laws to protect workers. They are archaic and only serve to help themselves and not the actual workers.
What labor laws in PA prevent a worker from being fired simply because the boss was in a bad mood?
George

Washington, DC

#20 Feb 14, 2011
a place for everything wrote:
You wouldnt by chance be a relative of John Doe 000069????? Sure the Irish mafia started the Molly McGuires and the WV Coal miners! LMAO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Watch Out! Robert R Howard out of jail and scam... Wed concerned citizen 4
Review: Tony Sangiamo Law Office (Jul '12) Wed Jessica 2
News Cate Blanchett denies lesbian past May 22 Sublime1 27
News David Letterman gets handcuffed to George Clooney May 22 Kid_Tomorrow 2
News Menendez Reintroduces Bill Banning Double-Decke... (Aug '13) May 21 Swedenforever 12
News Watch: 'Steve Jobs' new trailer released May 20 andet1987 2
Review: D & M Auto Sales (Jul '14) May 19 latinqueenbee 13
More from around the web

York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]