Hospital patient accused of hitting, ...

Hospital patient accused of hitting, spitting on nurse faces felony charge

There are 15 comments on the York Dispatch story from Feb 15, 2011, titled Hospital patient accused of hitting, spitting on nurse faces felony charge. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

A Dover Township man will be charged with felony assault for allegedly hitting a York Hospital nurse, then spitting on her face.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

mygrandamgt

York, PA

#1 Feb 15, 2011
This type of behavior from a patient goes with the territory if you are going to be in the medical profession, especially if the patient is mentally ill.The nurse should suck it up it's part of her job to deal with those types of incidents, that's why people in the medical profession get paid so much. How RIDICULOUS to charge this guy!
bob

Lancaster, PA

#2 Feb 15, 2011
I do not agree with you . I was attacked as a emt from a mental pt lucky I didn't get hurt. this pt should be thrown in jail for assault .
Jen

York, PA

#3 Feb 15, 2011
mygrandamgt wrote:
This type of behavior from a patient goes with the territory if you are going to be in the medical profession, especially if the patient is mentally ill.The nurse should suck it up it's part of her job to deal with those types of incidents, that's why people in the medical profession get paid so much. How RIDICULOUS to charge this guy!
You are kidding right? are you in the medical profession? If not shut the hell up
North York Resident

Fort Myers, FL

#4 Feb 15, 2011
Sorry these charges should be dropped he was mentally challenged at the time this accured So these charges should be dismissed as he knew not what he was doing,
Please comment on this because I am dying to read your responses to this one......
cjp

Sykesville, MD

#6 Feb 15, 2011
If he was being involuntarily admitted, is it correct to assume the police brought him in? If so, why didn't the police have him restrained?
Jen

York, PA

#7 Feb 15, 2011
he was restrained. all he had left was to spit. There needs to be some type of punishment. not jail but a psychiatric facility. charges should not be dropped.
Township

York, PA

#8 Feb 15, 2011
This is very funny. As a long time professional nurse,this kind of thing happens. Toughen up! Those at fault are your coworkers/supervisors/security guards who did not have adequate precautions in place. The man was ill. As a medical professional, are you going to file suit against a baby that urinates on your hand? Of course not, he didn't know any better! The mentally ill man did not know any better. Are you going to file suit against an elderly person who vomits all over you? Of course not, they couldn't control themselves. You are charged with taking care of a patient, regardless of physically or mentally ill, and you have to know how to protect yourself from bodily fluids and assaults. Sounds like this nurse won't last long in the profession!
Township

York, PA

#9 Feb 15, 2011
Remember also, protective gear...gloves/masks/gowns should be worn in situations where there could be exposure to body fluids. I work in community health, haven't been in the hospital for awhile, and I deal with similar situations from time to time. As a nurse, you must have a plan in place to deal with these situations, whether you work in the hospital or community. If all medical personnel could file lawsuits for this type of thing, we'd keep the lawyers busy and maybe (but I doubt it), we'd be rich. I think many cases would end up finding that the patient's actions were a manifestation of their illness and cannot be held liable....what a surprise! LOL. Might also be advisable for the nurse filing this suit to review her license and her ethical responsibilities.
retirement home worker

Winslow, NJ

#10 Feb 15, 2011
so I guess I can charge my alzheimers patients when they hit spit pinch and throw feces around...even though they aren't in control of their mind....its pathetic...suck it up and do your job
curious

York, PA

#11 Feb 16, 2011
Why not permit comments on Judge Kelley article?
Really

AOL

#12 Feb 16, 2011
So if you are a local business owner, say a small convenience store, and a mentally ill person comes in and robs and then shoots you, should that just go with the territory? Should you, as the business owner or employee just be expected to "suck it up and deal with it"? After hearing that your assailant was mentally ill would you just say "Oh let's just drop those attempted homicide charges against the person who shot me in the chest. He was just mentally ill and I feel bad for him." Nobody's job or territory comes with the expectation that assault may occur. It can happen anywhere, even in the office in which I work. If someone gets fired and becomes depressed over their being fired, they can be considered mentally ill. So when they decide to seek revenge on their supervisor for firing them and they show up and shoot that supervisor, does that supervisor have no rights to press charges?
Townshiip

AOL

#13 Feb 16, 2011
Really, your comments are not on target for what others are saying on this site. As a health professional, you are licensed to care for the ill, whether physically or mentally ill, and you also have an ethical responsibility as a health care professional. As a business owner or employee you are not caring for the mentally ill....you are not licensed in your job to care for the mentally ill and you don't have an ethical responsibility to the mentally ill in your job. This article is talking about your professional responsibilities of your job. There are many facets to what a mentally or physically ill person can do, and also they can "claim" mental or physical illness...but a business owner is not licensed/responsible to care for them as a patient. Your concerns are valid but not relevant to this news article.
Lisa

Arlington, MA

#14 Feb 20, 2011
Anyone who thinks this is rediculous is an ass. If this guy had hit and spit on a police office, he would have been BEAT and ARRESTED no questions asked!
Tina

Lincoln, NE

#15 Sep 26, 2012
Those of you who say this behavior is acceptable based on mental illness are clueless. According to nursingworld.org , 765,000 assaults on healthcare officials happen in a 6 year period. You may work in long term care, but go to the ER. You have drunk people who are crazy with rage and will assault anyone trying to help. Thats considered impaired. Thats attacking a nurse whos doing their job. I don't care if youre in the health industry or not. You deal with mental illness from people every day, even off the clock, and it gives that person no right to attack you and get off scott free, illness or not. Many of these people that get charged with assaults may not be mentally competent, but its not an excuse for abuse or murder (as there were 8 cases of nurses being murdered on the clock by patients, 4 of which were GUNSHOTS people). If these violent yet incompetent people get felonies, whats the worst that will happen to them anyway? They dont have money to pay for YOUR personal injury, and they will be in jail with OTHER violent psychopaths, with guards who are TRAINED to defend themselves and immobilize violent offenders without causing massive injury to said person. I can see in the case of elderly and especially dementia patients, if you are a nurse in a LTC facility and especially on a Alzheimers unit you better understand that you will most likely get attacked on multiple occasions from UNRESTRAINED (mentally and physically) patients, and THAT is part of THEIR job. However, nurses on ICU floors, ER floors, rehabilitation floors, and the like do NOT ever deserve to be beaten and abused and missed MULTIPLE days of work that the already MASSIVELY indebted hospital system has to cover without some sort of punishment. As a nurse, I say fuck those people. I'll press charges. And they can sit their asses in jail. If I ever become so incompetent or psychotic for any reason, and I hurt someone, even if its not on purpose, you deserve punishment. I know someone who got in a fight, knocked the person over, the victim hit their head on the table and died. And they counted it as self defense so the guy walked. Does that seem right to you? Its the same concept. People who hurt others, intentional or not, deserve punishment, especially if it results in injuries so major that these nurses need to miss work for an average of 4 days per assault ( nursingworld.org ) So. People. Don't tell people to get over it. I support this law 100%. Thank god for nursing unions where people have enough common sense to realize its NOT ok and not just "part of the job" in a many many cases. People who are so mentally unstable that theyre attempting to hurt someone whos providing medical care probably shouldn't be roaming around in society anyway. I mean. Duh people.
D mi e

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Oct 2, 2013
Townshiip wrote:
Really, your comments are not on target for what others are saying on this site. As a health professional, you are licensed to care for the ill, whether physically or mentally ill, and you also have an ethical responsibility as a health care professional. As a business owner or employee you are not caring for the mentally ill....you are not licensed in your job to care for the mentally ill and you don't have an ethical responsibility to the mentally ill in your job. This article is talking about your professional responsibilities of your job. There are many facets to what a mentally or physically ill person can do, and also they can "claim" mental or physical illness...but a business owner is not licensed/responsible to care for them as a patient. Your concerns are valid but not relevant to this news article.
You don't know jack

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DA: Investigators 'getting close' to arrest in ... (Apr '11) Mon iknowinfo 7
News Cintas plant upgrades will result in a "state-o... (Jun '08) Jan 30 Proud partner 12
Review: D & M Auto Sales (Jul '14) Jan 29 mildawg37 22
News PennDOT crews are out clearing primary and seco... Jan 25 kickinlor 1
Review: D And M Auto Sales (Jan '15) Jan 22 Mileage 37 5
News New information today in 2002 murder of Hopetha... (Jun '10) Jan 19 Christine Jones 31
News Hanover house featured on Animal Planet's 'Haun... (Oct '10) Jan 17 Vehros 92
More from around the web

Personal Finance

York Mortgages