Postal Service reports billions in lo...

Postal Service reports billions in losses

There are 126 comments on the The York Daily Record story from May 10, 2011, titled Postal Service reports billions in losses. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

The Postal Service is continuing to hemorrhage money, reporting a loss Tuesday of more than $2 billion over the first three months of the year and warning it could be forced to default on federal payments.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
DebtClockwatcher

Dover, PA

#1 May 10, 2011
I say lets open even more post offices and lose even more billions,WhoooHooo!!!Isn't that great!!!!
Common Sense Soldier

York, PA

#2 May 10, 2011
"Postal Service reports billions in losses"

Yeah, it's called UNION waged and pensions.

Maybe, just maybe, if they didn't rape your wallet for sending things, more people would use them. UPS and FedEx kick their ass in both price AND delivery service.
cracka

York, PA

#3 May 11, 2011
Meanwhile the USPS is spending money on TV ads exclaiming they don't add fuel surcharges to get us excited to use them to ship things cheaper. I saw the ad and thought yeah, you dont add the fuel surcharge because the tax payer covers those expenses, meanwhile, the private sector competition doesnt have the same backing. Talk about unfair monopolies. The USPS is just one more example of the government's inability to do something better than it's citizens. The announcement that brought this article is just another warning to expect to soon pay more for their service in stamp costs, shipping cost and taxes.
John Vonzeit

Wrightsville, PA

#4 May 11, 2011
HARD TO BELIEVE; VERY HARD TO BELIEVE!!! With all of the automatation tools available it really appears to boil down to pizz-poor management.

Cut your dead wood employees Post Office. Private business would never operate the way you turkeys do. Its only due to your use of taxpayer dollars that keep you in business so turn postal services over to private business.
john doe 000069

York, PA

#5 May 11, 2011
If you are a pay grade 1 step a you will gross $1665.89 every other week. Regular overtime is around $32 an hour and they want to give those bums at NALC over a 3 percent pay increase. What's wrong with those dummies at the postal service. They illegally raised the postage up on some so called services. I can't believe they actually raised the rates on junk mail. This is the only thing keeping these morons open. Time to shut the postal service down now.
Pole Catt

Harrisburg, PA

#6 May 11, 2011
wish they'd stop delivering all that junk mail
Postal Service User

Lancaster, PA

#7 May 11, 2011
Let's all remember how the government started stealing money from the post office's coffers several years ago. Before that, the Post office was the only part of the government that WASN'T working at a negative.
Now, we reap what they sowed.
We need the postal service, and those daily ebay and amazon deliveries. My business depends on regular deliveries from those companies in a cost effective means. Plus, it's not such a bad thing.....a trustworthy person, walking around the town that can notice if something is "amiss."
Frankly, I'm happy to have the mailman come around once a day.
it is what it is

Brooksville, FL

#8 May 11, 2011
The U.S. Postal Service as we knew it is gone.
UPS, Fed-Ex, and others services are faster and cheaper.
Sending letters and cards are done VIA e-mail with few exceptions.
Standing in line at post offices went out with the dinosaurs.
ex-pert

Kent, WA

#9 May 11, 2011
it is what it is wrote:
The U.S. Postal Service as we knew it is gone.
UPS, Fed-Ex, and others services are faster and cheaper.
Sending letters and cards are done VIA e-mail with few exceptions.
Standing in line at post offices went out with the dinosaurs.
If ,"The U.S. Postal Service as we knew it is gone.' you'll be taking down your mailbox now ? The 400k workers are laid off ? The millions of pieces of mail go to the dump ? UPS will carry a letter for 44 cents ? Dinosaurs stand at PO windows. Buddy, you're not as smart as a stamp.....
Common Sense Soldier

York, PA

#10 May 12, 2011
ex-pert wrote:
<quoted text>Buddy, you're not as smart as a stamp.....
You claim that guy is as smart as a stamp, but you're a dumba$$. How's that workin' for ya??
ex-pert

Kent, WA

#11 May 12, 2011
Common Sense Soldier wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim that guy is as smart as a stamp, but you're a dumba$$. How's that workin' for ya??
Is see the $$ and I think winner, but I read a juvenile name calling attempt and think IMMATURE ! Keep drinking the Tea and playing that blame game. We ALL get the bill ! Is sense is SO common, what happened to YOU !? LMAOROTF
ex-pert

Kent, WA

#12 May 12, 2011
Common Sense Soldier wrote:
"Postal Service reports billions in losses"
Yeah, it's called UNION waged and pensions.
Maybe, just maybe, if they didn't rape your wallet for sending things, more people would use them. UPS and FedEx kick their ass in both price AND delivery service.
Neither alternative is cheaper and oddly enough, both use the post office for THEIR odd location deliveries. You DID know UPS is teamster union shop, right boi !? LMAOROTF ! You ONLY hate unions when it suits you ? HYPOCRITE much ? Oops !
ex-pert

Kent, WA

#13 May 12, 2011
john doe 000069 wrote:
If you are a pay grade 1 step a you will gross $1665.89 every other week. Regular overtime is around $32 an hour and they want to give those bums at NALC over a 3 percent pay increase. What's wrong with those dummies at the postal service. They illegally raised the postage up on some so called services. I can't believe they actually raised the rates on junk mail. This is the only thing keeping these morons open. Time to shut the postal service down now.
What does the price of OT mean, except a chance to "talk" up the pay ? Why not say mailmen start at @$18 and top pay is @$26 and it's D*MN tough for carriers in Ca to buy a home. As hard as they work, why shouldn't they get a living wage ? If it's SO GREAT a job, why aren't you working there ? Too dumb ? LMAOROTF !
louis

San Leandro, CA

#14 May 12, 2011
We started the fss at my office almost 2 months ago and am sorry to say that it's not working. They spend billion dollars on that stupid machine and it's a failure again, they should have spend the money on new vehicles like hybrid to save gas, our LLV's are over 20 years old they are about to give up. Oh well USPS is run by a bunch a clueless idiots. Union needs to be blame also, recently they just brought back all the light duty bums at my office, after 13 months they were gone, now they got back pay. They punch in at 7:30 am and go straight to the break room for 8 hours, my god only in the post office. God help us, we are about go down hard.
ex-pert

Kent, WA

#15 May 12, 2011
louis wrote:
We started the fss at my office almost 2 months ago and am sorry to say that it's not working. They spend billion dollars on that stupid machine and it's a failure again, they should have spend the money on new vehicles like hybrid to save gas, our LLV's are over 20 years old they are about to give up. Oh well USPS is run by a bunch a clueless idiots. Union needs to be blame also, recently they just brought back all the light duty bums at my office, after 13 months they were gone, now they got back pay. They punch in at 7:30 am and go straight to the break room for 8 hours, my god only in the post office. God help us, we are about go down hard.
If you get injured and get light duty, will you be a bum or hypocrite ?
louis

San Leandro, CA

#16 May 13, 2011
You know what their injuries are so fake. When I 1st started we never had no injuries, come on they are milking the system. We have more injuries in the P.O. than Afghan war. Some of this people only carry mail for 6 months. I have pride, I cannot fake an injury. They don't have no shame. Hypocrite my!!!
Frank N Beans

United States

#17 May 14, 2011
cracka wrote:
I saw the ad and thought yeah, you dont add the fuel surcharge because the tax payer covers those expenses, meanwhile, the private sector competition doesnt have the same backing. Talk about unfair monopolies.
REALLY? I'd love to know...Where did you get this little tidbit of MISINFORMATION? You have no idea what you're talking about. The Postal Service DOES NOT use taxpayer's money, and hasn't since the early 70's. OH, and did you know, that UPS and FEDEX make daily drop offs of their packages at Post Offices for the Postal Service to finish delivery? Even customers are confused on this,..."Oh, I thought it was going to come by UPS?"
Citizen Cindy

Newton, IA

#18 May 15, 2011
The US Postal Service is one of the most over-funded, underworked, inefficient entities that ever existed in government.
ex-pert

Kent, WA

#19 May 15, 2011
louis wrote:
You know what their injuries are so fake. When I 1st started we never had no injuries, come on they are milking the system. We have more injuries in the P.O. than Afghan war. Some of this people only carry mail for 6 months. I have pride, I cannot fake an injury. They don't have no shame. Hypocrite my!!!
If a medical profession's diagnosis isn't good enough for you, you're WAY too smart to be a carrier ! YOU aren't qualified to judge ! SCAB ! LMAOROTF !
Ted and Alice

Newton, IA

#20 May 15, 2011
If I were the York County postmaster I would hide my head in shame. LOSER !!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. marshals arrest three fugitives from two Y... (Apr '08) Aug 3 yorksfinest 7
Family law attorney Aug 2 mia1 1
News York's bike share program vandalized in York City Jul '17 Justellnthetruth 1
News Hanover house featured on Animal Planet's 'Haun... (Oct '10) Jul '17 DeAnna Simpson 95
News 4 pregnant women with Zika confirmed in Yorka Jul '17 Rose Writes 1
News Red Lion family makes most of dog's last days Jun '17 Justellnthetruth 1
News 13 nabbed in prostitution bust (Mar '08) Jun '17 Anonymous 46

York Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

York Mortgages