York City officials: Rabid kitten fou...

York City officials: Rabid kitten found, one person exposed

There are 6 comments on the York Dispatch story from May 26, 2011, titled York City officials: Rabid kitten found, one person exposed. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

The York City Health Bureau is warning Fireside-area residents to be alert for sick animals, after a person was exposed to a rabid feral kitten.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

George

Washington, DC

#1 May 26, 2011
has anyone noticed if Toni Smith has been foaming at the mouth anymore than she already does? LOL

Since: Jun 10

York, PA

#2 May 26, 2011
Oh geez. Now everyone is going to assume every dog, cat, squirrel, raccoon, bird and insect they see is rabid.
Eat More Hogmaw

York, PA

#3 May 26, 2011
What a coincidence, they close down the 'Panda' Chinese restaurant and now the feral cats with rabies are runnin' wild! Was much better to barbecue them to a crisp and safely serve them. Now what???
cammy

Lemoyne, PA

#4 May 27, 2011
Definitly a bumper crop of nuts this season and you can find them posting here!
Maureen Koplow

Wenonah, NJ

#5 May 27, 2011
The article says, "Once an animal tests positive for rabies, it must
be euthanized, said Terri Fitzgerald, a registered nurse with the city health bureau."
I thought the only way to test for rabies was to kill the animal and test the brain tissue. I've never heard of a rabies test performed on a living animal.
Vet tech

Orrtanna, PA

#6 May 27, 2011
You are right. I caught that, too. The animal is euthanized and then they test brain tissue for Rabies. Either the nurse doesn't know her stuff or the reporter misquoted.
Maureen Koplow wrote:
The article says, "Once an animal tests positive for rabies, it must
be euthanized, said Terri Fitzgerald, a registered nurse with the city health bureau."
I thought the only way to test for rabies was to kill the animal and test the brain tissue. I've never heard of a rabies test performed on a living animal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Coroner called to shooting in York Feb 13 Unreal 1
News Funding cuts mean shorter hours, fewer books ata Feb 11 Unreal 1
News Zach Witman: 'Take a second look' (Dec '10) Feb 8 Stoner 548
News Three arrested in Springettsbury nightclub melee (Jan '10) Jan 28 Dereck mason 169
News Bill would allow York County police departments... Jan 27 CityguyUSA 5
News York Co. man sexually abused dog, police say Jan 26 CityguyUSA 1
Review: D & M Auto Sales (Jul '14) Jan 20 Mandingo 25

York Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

York Mortgages