Charter school to open in Chino

Charter school to open in Chino

There are 48 comments on the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin story from Jun 7, 2010, titled Charter school to open in Chino. In it, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin reports that:

After months of wrangling over a location, officials are set to open one of the largest independent charter schools in the country at a vacant district elementary school in the city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inland Valley Daily Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Pomona Guy

Pomona, CA

#1 Jun 7, 2010
I'm unsure - Does this mean no teachers union at the new charter school. Someone please say yes.
Who Cares

West Covina, CA

#2 Jun 7, 2010
Nobody cares about OPA anymore. The whole process and ordeal was a big joke and waste of time for hundreds of families.
Kim

Hacienda Heights, CA

#3 Jun 7, 2010
Other than a snooty British name, what does this school offer?
NME

Chino, CA

#4 Jun 7, 2010
Kim wrote:
Other than a snooty British name, what does this school offer?
LOL! Absolutely nothing. Oh I forgot, they "offer" the Study of Multiple Intelligences. Oh wait, but wasn't that also being offered at Rhodes ES as well as other district schools? As I was saying, nothing. This is just a duplication of efforts with the illusion of not being under district control.
Parent

Chino, CA

#5 Jun 7, 2010
Haha. Finally some people with sense! OPA has ALWAYS been a big joke. Only elitist snobs that don't want their kids around Latinos. Why did they object to the kids from El Rancho? Now you know the truth. Thank you for stating the facts NME :)
Kim

Hacienda Heights, CA

#6 Jun 8, 2010
OPA?? What about an OMA to go with it? HAHA.
Nice Try

Chino Hills, CA

#10 Jun 8, 2010
Parent wrote:
Haha. Finally some people with sense! OPA has ALWAYS been a big joke. Only elitist snobs that don't want their kids around Latinos. Why did they object to the kids from El Rancho? Now you know the truth. Thank you for stating the facts NME :)
Not wanting their kids around Latinos? Keep your personal feelings out of this. The truth is, Rhodes was 50% Hispanic, so is the District, Los Serranos was more, and the OPA people could have leased a building somewhere else but decided to stick with El Rancho, which last time I checked is smack dab in the middle of a "Latino" area. The reason why they were trying to go somewhere else is to not get in the middle of the issue between the district and the El Rancho community. Get your facts straight lady!
Wayne J

Chino Hills, CA

#11 Jun 8, 2010
Let's see how many ex-El Rancho Elementary School student's Oxford Preparatory Academy (OPA) picks up this school year and next. I'd like to be there and take pictures of the OPA staff welcoming "neighborhood" kids into "their" fold. The ethnic make up of OPA will be very, very, interesting. More than likely, OPA will continue the Chino Valley School District proud tradition of not allowing Hispanics to server above Director level. Even now, not a single hispanic is represented at Director level or above. The FBI had their "Taco Circuit" whereby hispanic agents could only serve in states boardering Mexico. Chino School District has it's own taco circuit, where hispanics serve best in maintenance positions and kitchen help. The District has and has had qualifed (BA/BS, MS/MA & Ed.D.) hispanics within its ranks, but has failed miserably, by not promoting qualified hispanics. Shame on the District. Especially with a hispanic student population nearing 60%. Currentlly, Chino Valley School employs a Director with only a high school degree. It appears that the School Districtg practice of only hiring hispanics for manual labor jobs continues the taco circuit mentalilty. No wonder Ramona Junior High School student's continue to struggle and get the "past the buck Principal" assignment.
Mike B

Chino Hills, CA

#12 Jun 8, 2010
Edwin Rhodes currently stands at 331 Hispanic students and 192 White students. There are 24 black students. The other remaining 175 students represent a mix of other ethnicities (Asian, Korean etc.). So, hispanic students represent nearly 46% of the current student population at Rhodes Elementary School. Can't wait to see if the Oxford Preparatory Academy comes close to even 40% of hispanic students. These are the facts!
OPA Rhodes Parent

Chino, CA

#13 Jun 8, 2010
It is my practice to list "Human" when asked the race question. So where would that list my children?

According to the charter, OPA will reflect the racial and ethic balance of CVUSD. The last time I looked around, we are a pretty diverse community. The charter school will be too. These kids don't care about race and ethnic quotas. They just want to go to school and learn and have a safe and fun place in which attend school.

If the charter isn't for you, then nothing lost--stay where you are and be happy. If your commitment in life is to be negative and tear everything around you down with your negativity (whether or not you know what you are talking about), well, then rock on.
Mike B

Chino Hills, CA

#14 Jun 8, 2010
Unfortunately, the "human" part of the ethnic equation is only introduced when equity and fairness "appear" to the main focus of those who's aim it is to isolate themselves from reality. Again, if one of OPA's goal is to true reflect the racial and ethnic balance and/or diversity of the "community", then at minimum, OPA's hispanic student enrollment will should be nearly 425 (50%, District is nearly 60%).

Being a "pretty" diverse community reflects a naive attitude and one that elicts an elitist educational background. Charter School's belong to EVERYONE. If people are good enough to be judged by their peers, then children should be allowed to be enrolled into OPA regardless of race or ethnciity. I'm less than confident that OPA enrollment application is without an ethnic code box. Kids may not care about race, unfortunately adults rule reality.
wow

Chino Hills, CA

#15 Jun 8, 2010
A public lottery was held to determine who will attend OPA. If there is not a racial balance it is due to 1) Bad luck or 2) Parents did not enroll their children.
HereLegally

Irvine, CA

#16 Jun 8, 2010
Does OPA have to accept illegal mexicans??
CH Resident

Chino Hills, CA

#17 Jun 8, 2010
This school was created to feed one person's ego.
CHResident

Perris, CA

#18 Jun 8, 2010
HereLegally wrote:
Does OPA have to accept illegal mexicans??
Do they accept illegals??
huh

Chino, CA

#19 Jun 8, 2010
Mike B wrote:
Unfortunately, the "human" part of the ethnic equation is only introduced when equity and fairness "appear" to the main focus of those who's aim it is to isolate themselves from reality.
Put the pipe down Cheech.
Think

Riverside, CA

#20 Jun 8, 2010
"WHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! !! I wanted my kid to get in this school!!!!" Wow, looks like a lot of parents who wanted their children to attend the school and didn't get in are now trying to make themselves feel better about their situation by putting the school down. What a bunch of whining children and I'm not talking about the ones attending, or not attending, the school... "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! !"
Martin

Fontana, CA

#21 Jun 9, 2010
I know they are not hiring qualified teachers just the new cheaper ones and some die hard OPA Sue Roche supporters. My friend has 12 years experience and excellent resume and a superb teacher. She has even spoken to Jason Watts. Guess what???????She was not even invited to interview!!!!!!! OPA is going to suck!
tired

Hermosa Beach, CA

#23 Jun 9, 2010
Martin wrote:
I know they are not hiring qualified teachers just the new cheaper ones and some die hard OPA Sue Roche supporters. My friend has 12 years experience and excellent resume and a superb teacher. She has even spoken to Jason Watts. Guess what???????She was not even invited to interview!!!!!!! OPA is going to suck!
Wow, just because your friend did not get a position, you spew such distain for a school that is just trying to come together to give local kids another optiom. OPA will not suck and your friend should think twice as to who she keeps company with.
Did you ever think that maybe teachers who actually believed in the schools vision had already showed interest.
wow

Chino Hills, CA

#24 Jun 9, 2010
Martin, poor Martin. There are so many qualified and exceptional teachers looking for employment. Your friend is one of hundreds. OPA can only hire a handful. Please take a deep breath before you open your mouth. I hope your friend finds employment. I do wonder why after 12 years, she is without a job? What is happening with our public education system? Excellent teachers with 12 years experience should be in the classroom. I know of a couple teachers with fewer years experience who have no business in the classroom. I am a teacher with 25 years experience who does not believe in tenure. I worked hard every year for my position and it just angers me to see those that don't. They just give teachers bad name.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yorba Linda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Orange county milfs 7 min Joe Balls 3
CVUSD In the News 6 hr Denise 6
18m looking for snapchat girls Jul 24 vic 4
News 24 Hour Fitness to unveil new Yorba Linda gym (Jun '14) Jul 17 Jasper Oranja 3
Andrea Mitchell, Alan Greenpan Asexual Jul 17 Las Judenless 1
News Honk: Are those 'Children at Play' signs legal? (Feb '11) Jul 17 Thankful I live i... 90
helicopters at 3am Jul 10 tifftiffallday 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Yorba Linda Mortgages