Jammahn

Milford, CT

#3290 Nov 12, 2013
We moved around the neighborhood a lot ...I guess because me dad was a feisty German who would take no shit....He ended up pretty cool though...working as a chef at the IBM Armonk HQ until he retired.....he NEVER lost his dignity though....many today don't even know the meaning of the word.
rich

Milford, CT

#3291 Nov 12, 2013
Bill Day wrote:
Hey Dam Yankee I used to work at the Yellow Submarine on Main Street. What will you have, a
Depth Charger, a Torpedo, or my favorite,
The Captain's Special?
Duke Rodgers
frankie rat nac

Columbia, MO

#3292 Nov 12, 2013
JTLyden wrote:
<quoted text>
Frankie, It's nice to be remembered. Yes, I lived at 77 Center Avenue for almost 30 years in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. I go on Google Earth every now and then to see if the building is still there, and it is!
I went to BS Grammar School.
I worked at Rick's paper store (the College Stationery), Ferguson's Liquor Store,Talner's Jewelers, Frank's Drug Store.
One of my fondest memories was standing outside the liguor store watched all of coeds from the College of New Rochelle passing by. I wound up dating some of them.
You lived on Main Street over Berger's Restaurant. The same building that Joey Fotovich lived in. He was my best man at my wedding, but I have no idea where he is now.
I agree with all that has been said about what a wonderful place New Rochelle was to grow up in.
I recall on snowy days waiting to hear the town's siren going-off, which meant no school for that day. Then everyone headed for Laurel Hill to slay ride until exhaustion set in.
Well, I'm getting too sentimental here.
Thanksl.
HEy Hey John, Last time I talked Fotovich, he lived upstate NY. Wasn't doing to well, was living with one of his kids. First time I called they couldn't get him awake was taking a nap, Talked a little with him.I always wondered about you, We used to do the papers for sunday, at Ricky's, go through the hole in the floor for the sodas, You and Joey were always there arguing about the baseball stats,LOL..I also remember your mom always taking good care of us on wed, milk and cookie day. She used to always give me and Danny, my brother a good bag of broken ones.She was a really nice woman..Thought I'd let you know, ole friend..Remember when Fergusson's was across the street next to the Big Dollar And Roache's.
frankie rat nac

Columbia, MO

#3293 Nov 12, 2013
JT Lyden,see if you can friend me on facebook, or yahoo. love to say hello. My youngest daughter,( of 9 kids )gave birth to her 3rd daughter today. Kids are all over, upstate ny, to Fl. and out here in MO. one a police officer in New Castle, N.Y.

Since: Nov 13

Seattle, WA

#3294 Nov 14, 2013
frankie rat nac wrote:
<quoted text>HEy Hey John, Last time I talked Fotovich, he lived upstate NY. Wasn't doing to well, was living with one of his kids. First time I called they couldn't get him awake was taking a nap, Talked a little with him.I always wondered about you, We used to do the papers for sunday, at Ricky's, go through the hole in the floor for the sodas, You and Joey were always there arguing about the baseball stats,LOL..I also remember your mom always taking good care of us on wed, milk and cookie day. She used to always give me and Danny, my brother a good bag of broken ones.She was a really nice woman..Thought I'd let you know, ole friend..Remember when Fergusson's was across the street next to the Big Dollar And Roache's.
Frankie--I greatly appreciate your kind words about my mother. How long ago was it that you spoke with Joey?
9 children! And they say I have a big family with only 4 children!When did you leave NR?
I have avoided going on Facebook. My wife had an account, and I will try to contact you through her.
frankie rat nac

Columbia, MO

#3295 Nov 14, 2013
JTLyden wrote:
<quoted text>
Frankie--I greatly appreciate your kind words about my mother. How long ago was it that you spoke with Joey?
9 children! And they say I have a big family with only 4 children!When did you leave NR?
I have avoided going on Facebook. My wife had an account, and I will try to contact you through her.
Hey John, it was about two years ago, I found a relative in Penn., and after talking to her, awhile. She gave me Joey's number.She wanted to make sure it wasn't a scam.. But after telling her about his pops, and that dang pipe, she new I was for real,lol. I left NR, in '82, only been back for a visit a few times, all my relatives there have passed, also Al DiPiazza, if you remember him. If we get hooked up on e-mail, or face book I'll send you a pic of him and I together. I also have one of our 1st or 2nd grade class in front of the school, in one of those black and white comp. books we used to use, if I can find it. The city has really changed, Trump built 2 bldgs., top half are usually in the clouds. Over near Trinity Church..You know growing up we didn't have much but our friends, those cookies were mostly the only treats we had, THEY were appreciated.I'll try and go back and see if I can find Joey's number..ok. Frankie "rat"

Since: Jul 09

Bloomsburg, PA

#3296 Jan 28, 2014
Hey All,

How come it's been so quiet here lately?
Jammahn

East Haddam, CT

#3297 Feb 2, 2014
Remember the "Wedge Inn" over the bridge to the Bronx....with the free hot peppers? No one here knows what a "wedge" is.....and we used to tie our late night ride horses in the back. Ahhhh....shit!
frankie rat nac

Columbia, MO

#3298 Feb 2, 2014
Jammahn wrote:
Remember the "Wedge Inn" over the bridge to the Bronx....with the free hot peppers? No one here knows what a "wedge" is.....and we used to tie our late night ride horses in the back. Ahhhh....shit! Yea man, loved the veal cutlets with the peppers on top, and the italian beef. they changed to something with a brass rail last time i was there.. you remember the scrap yard across the street, before corvette's. Also Albi's junk yard on the other side of bridge.
Yea man, loved the veal cutlets with the peppers on top, and the italian beef. they changed to something with a brass rail last time i was there.. you remember the scrap yard across the street, before corvette's. Also Albi's junk yard on the other side of bridge.
RICH

Bronx, NY

#3299 Feb 3, 2014
frankie rat nac wrote:
<quoted text> Yea man, loved the veal cutlets with the peppers on top, and the italian beef. they changed to something with a brass rail last time i was there.. you remember the scrap yard across the street, before corvette's. Also Albi's junk yard on the other side of bridge.
Remember Mike and Dominick the counter guys. Hot pepper and Eggplant or so called Veal Wedges. Great times.

Since: Jul 09

Bloomsburg, PA

#3300 Feb 5, 2014
I have lived in all 5 boroughs of NYC, Boston, Tampa, Bergen County and the Pocono Mountains. No one knows what a Wedge is, but we sure do if we are from NR. Makes me long for the back room of Pat's with a Roast Beef Wedge and a 16oz.
RICH

Bronx, NY

#3301 Feb 5, 2014
Pats When i was coaching at BS that is where the players would go for lunch. The back room was a sanctuary. Across the street was the Town theatre. New Rochelle had 2 B the best place on earth in those days.
frankie rat nac

Columbia, MO

#3302 Feb 5, 2014
The roast beef, the ham and swiss, ant the salads,tuna,chicken, all with tomato,and mayo. haven't ever had a wedge as good as Pat and Emil's... Other than the hot ones at the Wedge Inn.
JT Lyden

Mount Pleasant, SC

#3303 Feb 6, 2014
RICH wrote:
Pats When i was coaching at BS that is where the players would go for lunch. The back room was a sanctuary. Across the street was the Town theatre. New Rochelle had 2 B the best place on earth in those days.
That movie house was also known as the "Cue" then "Trent". It often showed foreign movies that were condemned by the Church. I remember taking furtive glances at the posters that festooned the entrance to the place on my way home from BS.
Next to the theater was a luncheonette. Bela Lugosi ate there after a promotion appearance for a movie that he was in either a Lowe's or RKO. He died not long after tha
Speaking of Blessed Sacrament, does anyone recall the awful tragedy of the little girl--Vivian Graves--who was struck and killed by a truck in front of the school sometime, I guess, in the early '50's? It still haunts me to this day.
Thanks.
frankie rat nac

Columbia, MO

#3304 Feb 6, 2014
John, I think we were in Mother Stella's class the day that happened. We knew the girls brother, it was Joey "Buddy" Graves, I'm sure you remember him. Also the luncheonette was called Talbot's I think..I have some old flyers from both the Cue, and the Trent.I saw Our Lady of Fatima there. Haven't been able to Find Joey for you, but he was up near Poughkeepsie at one time.
JT Lyden wrote:
<quoted text>
That movie house was also known as the "Cue" then "Trent". It often showed foreign movies that were condemned by the Church. I remember taking furtive glances at the posters that festooned the entrance to the place on my way home from BS.
Next to the theater was a luncheonette. Bela Lugosi ate there after a promotion appearance for a movie that he was in either a Lowe's or RKO. He died not long after tha
Speaking of Blessed Sacrament, does anyone recall the awful tragedy of the little girl--Vivian Graves--who was struck and killed by a truck in front of the school sometime, I guess, in the early '50's? It still haunts me to this day.
Thanks.
frankie rat nac

Columbia, MO

#3305 Feb 6, 2014
To JT Lyden, do you now live in In.?, I was just in Crawfordsville,Monticello, and Indy,. I deliver New cars For Shelter Insurance, out of Columbia, Mo. where I live.My wife also works there in IS, a Sr.Programmer, name is Carol, you could look up Shelter's number reach her, leave contact info, if you want. I deliver to the Adjuster's and return their old car, not really old 2yrs. lol. I really think a lot of the old day's. Pat n Emil, Ricky and Helen, Roaches, selling the papers in front of the RKO, and setting pins for a nickle a game at thr Rec, next to Loews. Do you remember the Milky Way, before they had candy and stuff in Loew's?? Take care old friend, Nacarato..
Paul Belserene

North Vancouver, Canada

#3306 Feb 6, 2014
Does anyone know what happened to Boy Scout Troop 3A? When I was in it, in the 60s, it was the oldest continuously operating Boy Scout troop in America. When did it disappear?
Matty OT

Pompano Beach, FL

#3307 Feb 7, 2014
Don't worry Jammahn, here in Florida nobody knows what a wedge is either, every time order a wedge from the so called delis down here, they look at me like I am crazy.Also remember going to Pats getting a roast beef wedge with coleslaw, a side of potato salad and then sitting on the boxes to eat in the back of the place... you won't find that anywhere anymore. I must say though that the last time I was in New Rochelle I had a great wedge fom Battaglias on North Avenue....will somebody please move down here and open a real NY deli
Beau

Brooklyn, NY

#3308 Feb 18, 2014
I use the paint those rocks 45 years ago and I got the rake the leaves for like 3 dollars.I learned a lot of life lessons from those days and so did my older brother,who started his small contracting business after Nicholas let him do work on the house .I miss my brother now past but Nicolas is a good man
Big D

West Palm Beach, FL

#3309 Feb 19, 2014
If you happen to be in the West Palm Beach area, try "Colombino's" Italian deli at 4450 Forest Hill Blvd (just east of Military trail). They have the best replica Italian bread, plus all the Italian meats. Take a bite, close your eyes, and you'll swear you're back on Union Avenue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yonkers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Rochelle Man Sentenced for Stealing Over $6... Jun 23 333stenbrian 1
News New Rochelle Man Arrested Following Vehicle Pur... Jun 18 stenbrian44 1
Worst Neighborhood in THE Bronx (Feb '10) Jun 18 Tasha 211
News NY Woman Arrested for Serial Fraud (Jun '14) Jun 18 trumps treason 16
DISCO FK 174 Audubon (Jul '11) Jun 17 Realness 194
Does anybody remmeber the Wild Cowboys era in W... (Oct '08) Jun 15 francisco medina 1,464
News NYPD Cop From Pleads Not Guilty In Shooting Inv... (Jul '14) May 31 333stenbrian 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Yonkers Mortgages