Big D

West Palm Beach, FL

#3188 May 14, 2013
Frankie nac rat wrote:
<quoted text> We also must know each other, I remember Mike, also Johnny Rabius drove with us.I grew up working for Sal, when he was on Mechanic Street. next to Deluxe. He had a fleet of Chryslers. My job was was to wash and vacuum them every day after school. Then we'd go around the corner to Tony's to eat. Tommy Okeefe,was my uncle he drove a cab there also an Independent, His son had the gas station corner of echo and main. Sal lived on Woodbury. My wife lived one block over on Bayard. her father owned the bar there, also Hummels Tree Surgeons. My buddy Tony DeSanti lived off Petersville Rd. By the church. His family had the Ice Trucks, I'm sure some of you old timers remember them. Remember the Howard Johnson's between Main and Hougenot? How about Jonny Boy Ferrara.
Well, I certainly remember “Woodbury Street” and not just because of Sal. That’s the street where the now infamous “Freddie Cowan” lived, the guy who shot and killed several people at his employer, Neptune Worldwide Moving on Weyman Avenue. I was already living in Florida at the time (1977) and the resulting standoff made national TV. After holding off hundreds of police for most of the day, Cowan eventually shot himself in the head (dead) while holed up on Neptune’s 2nd floor. I was especially shocked because I had met Cowan a number of times at the Weyman Avenue Boy’s Club, where he lifted weights several nights a week. This was during the 60’s, and I don’t think we ever exchanged more than two words – he was the quiet type who only seemed interested in lifting weights. There was another lifter there also, named “Spatz” I think, who eventually captured several records in the dead-lift. I also seem to remember that Spatz had a twin brother.
Meanwhile, the names you mentioned are not too familiar to me – probably given some age difference. Maybe also because I grew up on the far side of town, at the end of the “P-Webster” line (near the intersection of Mayflower and Webster Avenues). I’d probably recognize virtually everyone by sight, but not by name - except New Rochelle’s most beautiful girls, like “Louise Amrasono (sp?)” from “Up The West.” And Carol O’Donnell from the north end. Also “Sandra Westfall” from City Park. And “Barbra Prattie (sp?– pronounced “Pray-tee”)” from near NRHS, off Eastchester Road. There were more, too, and that’s what I remember… all the stunning girls!
Btw, I also have a vague recollection of the Howard Johnson's where Main & Huguenot came together (across from the armory).
Frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3189 May 14, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I certainly remember “Woodbury Street” and not just because of Sal. That’s the street where the now infamous “Freddie Cowan” lived, the guy who shot and killed several people at his employer, Neptune Worldwide Moving on Weyman Avenue. I was already living in Florida at the time (1977) and the resulting standoff made national TV. After holding off hundreds of police for most of the day, Cowan eventually shot himself in the head (dead) while holed up on Neptune’s 2nd floor. I was especially shocked because I had met Cowan a number of times at the Weyman Avenue Boy’s Club, where he lifted weights several nights a week. This was during the 60’s, and I don’t think we ever exchanged more than two words – he was the quiet type who only seemed interested in lifting weights. There was another lifter there also, named “Spatz” I think, who eventually captured several records in the dead-lift. I also seem to remember that Spatz had a twin brother.
Meanwhile, the names you mentioned are not too familiar to me – probably given some age difference. Maybe also because I grew up on the far side of town, at the end of the “P-Webster” line (near the intersection of Mayflower and Webster Avenues). I’d probably recognize virtually everyone by sight, but not by name - except New Rochelle’s most beautiful girls, like “Louise Amrasono (sp?)” from “Up The West.” And Carol O’Donnell from the north end. Also “Sandra Westfall” from City Park. And “Barbra Prattie (sp?– pronounced “Pray-tee”)” from near NRHS, off Eastchester Road. There were more, too, and that’s what I remember… all the stunning girls!
Btw, I also have a vague recollection of the Howard Johnson's where Main & Huguenot came together (across from the armory).
You're right about Freddy, he lived across from Sal down a few doors. I went to school wit JoAnn Amrasono, also Patty Patti. Did you know a girl last name Bevalaqua? I used to know a couple of guys up off Mayflower going towards Pelham, can't remember names. My grandmother lived in the nursing home corner Coligni and Webster. You remember Tuffo's Shell Station on Webster, I worked there part time. Do you remember the black guy who drove the P-Webster bus, George.?or Tommy. Hellova nice guy.
Fred H

Boca Raton, FL

#3190 May 14, 2013
I attended Mayflower elementary and was there the day the White Tower opened for business. The grand opening special was a dozen burgers for a Quarter or less I forget how much but it was really cheep as I had enough money to buy them. They were great and I left full! I really remember all the blasting they had to do for some time to flatten a large stone embankment to build the building.
I left BSHS in 59 and attended NRHS for my senior year. My lunch spot was Pete’s Beechmont Tavern.
paulbel wrote:
<quoted text>
The White Tower was the first meal outside of the home that I ever had. As it might have been for lots of kids who went to Mayflower. And Leo's became a place for lunches while at NRHS. thanks for the memories of "Herb's" Big D. I never was aware of "Kessler"
Fred H

Boca Raton, FL

#3191 May 14, 2013
I went to BSHS with a Billy Cowen who lived on or very near Woodbury St. Anybody know if "Freddie" was a brother or relative of Billy ?
I knew Red headed Twins named Billy and Bubby Svetz “sp?” Who also attended BSHS. They lived off Fifth Ave on Ellen Dr.
I also moved to S. Fl. in 74.
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Fred H

Boca Raton, FL

#3192 May 14, 2013
Wayne AKA “Dudleys” dad, Irv Davis was at work when he died very young. Pat the mom raised the kids on her own with the help of their aunt after she retired from a school system in New England. Julia, I think was her name, was not much help as she was very old. Terry and then Jay passed on at a young age also. The last I heard from Wayne was that Noel and Kit Ellen were doing fine. We lived next door from birth until we all left home. Noel ,Kit Ellen and I were the youngest.
I went to BSHS with a John Lalli maybe Ron and he were brothers ?
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt we met each other at some point, although your name doesn't ring a bell at the moment (which happens a lot lately). Wayne (never liked the nickname "Dudley") and I started to lose touch with each other in our later teens. As a result I barely knew his wife, much less his kids. We'd run into each other at places like the Thru-Way Diner, catch up on old times, then go our separate ways. But always with fond memories. I moved to Florida during the early 70's, so we saw each other even less. You may remember that Wayne's father died young - I believe he was in his early forties - also his brother Terry. Heart conditions. I worried that Wayne would go the same way, since the three of them were very similar physically. But I recall that he was on a heart medicine when we last visited. As it turned out, he did pretty well compared to his dad and brother Terry - lasting into his 70's. Not bad, all things considered. You may also recall that his brother Jay became a VP at 7-Up, the DC office. I went to grammar school (Holy Family) with all the 7-Up people, including the Mudd's, McCan's, Parilla's, and others. Good Catholics; big families!
If you happen to know Ronny Lalli, then you know what I look like; Ronny and I were often mistaken for each other during our teens - although we didn't know each at the time. When we finally did meet up, we shared a natural affinity because we looked so much alike, and because so many people thought I was him, and him me. The last time I saw Ronny he was a blackjack dealer (his dream job) in Caesar's Palace (Las Vegas). That would've been the later 70's. Anyway, though I'd mention it.
Fred H

Boca Raton, FL

#3193 May 14, 2013
I also attended BSHS with all the guys you mentioned. Do you remember Richie Holton ? same class.
Some times I wonder how I made it down and up those steep stairs on the way to the head at the Ship Ahoy without crashing.We were indestructible then!

Do you remember Thursday nights at the Ship when all the foreign Nanny's had their night off ? I met Many really great gals there week after week. I liked that bar so much I named my Bar in Fl the Ship Ahoy when I opened it in 74, LOL
Frankie nac rat wrote:
<quoted text>We gotta know each other also, I went to school with Barry, Mike Yamazzo, Joey Mueller, They had Biesgens?? Deli on corner of main and Div. around the corner from you.I drove for White Rock, with Tony Desanti.If you had to go, down them stairs and all the way down the hall,LOL
Frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3194 May 15, 2013
Fred H. We had to be in the same class.1st grade M.Catherine Marie,2nd M> Mary Jean, 3rd. Mrs. Johnson, 4th. M.Stella, 5th was a young lady,can't remember her name, her husband was in Korea I believe.In the class also Barry Smith,Al DiPiazza,Charlie Craig,he left father was in service got re-stationed.Pete Greaturo. I have a picture of the 2nd grade class in front of the school, don't know how to post here. Remember the Merry go-round under Mrs.Johnsomson's window, and the big slide. Do you remember if you were in the class when Gerry Florio, jumped out the window,'cause M.Stella was coming after him?? lol
Frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3195 May 15, 2013
That was Pete Creaturo, not Greaturo. I also moved to Fl. in '54-5, went to Jacksonville, and then Ft.Lauderdale. My Brother was Danny Nacarato, in his class Tommy John Murray, Bobby Newcomb, they had the parking lot across from the school..
Big D

West Palm Beach, FL

#3196 May 15, 2013
Fred H wrote:
I attended Mayflower elementary and was there the day the White Tower opened for business. The grand opening special was a dozen burgers for a Quarter or less I forget how much but it was really cheep as I had enough money to buy them. They were great and I left full! I really remember all the blasting they had to do for some time to flatten a large stone embankment to build the building.
I left BSHS in 59 and attended NRHS for my senior year. My lunch spot was Pete’s Beechmont Tavern.
<quoted text>
Fred, here's a photo of the White Tower: http://citizenbaker.blogspot.com/2013/05/whit...

You may also remember what was there before the White Tower, a small wooden structure that resembled a doll house - I believe it was a real estate office.
dcNR

Safety Harbor, FL

#3197 May 16, 2013
Can anyone tell me for sure if the spot was Frost Top or Frost Stop? My memory is faded, getting old stinks lol
Frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3198 May 16, 2013
I also was in the same class a John Lalli, Ron was his younger brother. There were 4 of them. They lived next door to the Chistian Scince Bldg. on Locust Ave. One died in a motorcycle accident on Main St..Do you remember any of the Graves family. Bobby Kovaski. Jimmy Ferara,Johnny Vaccarro,also a kid named Chris. Any of the teachers ring a bell.How about,John Capria,Jacky Hilderbrand,John Ford,Jack Hoctor,Bobby Parent,Danny Lacerenza. Mind's going Blank..lol Used to go to Henry's candy store on center ave.,sunday mornings before lining up for 8:30 mass.Then Mayflower for a chocalate sprinkled donut after mass. Does anybody remember that older lady blonde whiter hair, loaded with make-up. She was really nice used to put the broken donuts in a bag, give them to me for free.Never forgot her kindnesses.
flower108055

Madison, TN

#3199 May 16, 2013
I grew up on Woodland Avenue. Does anyone know what happened to the Walker kids: Judy, Jimmy and Christine? Also grew up with Johnny Mazzullo, Bobby Maltese and John O'Laughlin on Woodland Avenue. Would sure like to get in touch with these guys.
Frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3200 May 16, 2013
flower108055 wrote:
I grew up on Woodland Avenue. Does anyone know what happened to the Walker kids: Judy, Jimmy and Christine? Also grew up with Johnny Mazzullo, Bobby Maltese and John O'Laughlin on Woodland Avenue. Would sure like to get in touch with these guys.
Hey flower, if you grew up on woodland, ya gotta remember the Hilser's, Funny round part to their house. Also do you remember the Brady girls??( Pete Hilser )
Frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3201 May 16, 2013
flower108055 wrote:
Flower, I hung out with Jonny M., I lived above Burger's Restaurant it was right across from RKO. The guy Pat that owned Main St. Dairy, was his uncle I believe. Remember getting the Chestnuts at Woodland and Elm.. They are all gone now..
Jim

Warner Robins, GA

#3202 May 20, 2013
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
Just remembered another old time candy store.....corner of Elm and Weyman...not far from Jefferson school.....I dont remember the name....up a little further was Heidi's deli.....and I always used to say to the German owner...."Vi Getz"...which in German is...like "Whats up" or "Whats Happening"...and he used to say..."Steve...to heck with the Getz....use the door"....nice man.
<quoted text>
It was known as Johnny's. Had good ice cream!
frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3203 May 20, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>It was known as Johnny's. Had good ice cream!
That was the little hole in the wall, wasn't it
Jack R at IBM

Yorktown Heights, NY

#3204 May 20, 2013
New Rochelle Fred you owe me a parachute
Jack R at IBM

Yorktown Heights, NY

#3205 May 23, 2013
New Rochelle Florida Fred, you owe me a parachute.
NR BOY

Norwalk, CT

#3206 Jun 8, 2013
Frankie Nac rat wrote:
I think one of the pool player's was a Mickey Eberly. I worked for sal for a number of years, Drove when he was on North Ave.,and at the railroad station. The Checker your talking of actually had a floor shift in it, he also had a volkswagen bus as a cab. Wasn't the soda shop in the apartments on Church St. I think the Hanson's lived in the apts.,on Bonnefoy, across from the Knight's of Columbus hall.
Bringing back memories. I played at Nicks when I was 14-15 years old then went to the pizza place across the street for pizza and beers. Yes beers, those were the day's. I used to make out with my girlfriend in the lobby of the church street apartments. And I worked at Westchester Deli with Ken Hanson. Great times.
Frankie Nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3207 Jun 8, 2013
NR BOY wrote:
<quoted text>
Bringing back memories. I played at Nicks when I was 14-15 years old then went to the pizza place across the street for pizza and beers. Yes beers, those were the day's. I used to make out with my girlfriend in the lobby of the church street apartments. And I worked at Westchester Deli with Ken Hanson. Great times.
NR BOY< Did you also work there with Artie Aronson??? RememberNicky the Entemans driver..?? Frankie nac rat

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yonkers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beach in New Rochelle (Jan '10) 22 hr Donald Francis 32
News 50 Drug Trafficking Suspects Arrested In New Ro... Sun Hudson Park Guy 2
Worst Neighborhood in THE Bronx (Feb '10) Sat Ashleigh 202
Pain meds,Xtcy pills for sale (May '14) May 22 Lathritha Qualls 5
human rights activist (Aug '14) May 22 333STENBRIAN 2
News NY Woman Arrested for Serial Fraud (Jun '14) May 20 shame on YOO 10
FBI Investigates Emmet Carty, of New Rochelle, ... (May '14) May 20 HE LIVES 2
More from around the web

Yonkers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE