Good Old Days

Crossville, TN

#3127 Jan 23, 2013
An old New Rochelle friend just told me that Blessed Sacrament-St. Gabriel's High School will be closed at the end of this year. So sad to see that great school of our youth be shut down. B.S meant a lot to many people...even those who did not actually attend school there.
Rich Meyers

Bedford Hills, NY

#3128 Jan 23, 2013
Good Old Days wrote:
An old New Rochelle friend just told me that Blessed Sacrament-St. Gabriel's High School will be closed at the end of this year. So sad to see that great school of our youth be shut down. B.S meant a lot to many people...even those who did not actually attend school there.
YEP o sad Kb and i coached football there for ten years. Those kids were the best.

Since: Jul 09

Stroudsburg, PA

#3129 Jan 23, 2013
I think you hit the nail on the head New Rochelle Guy.
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
Happy New Year Bayview et al......yes the posts have waned down quite a bit.
All we have left of New Rochelle (in my opinion) are the memories of how good it was and probably wont be again because I dont see a defining line anymore between a NYC borough and New Rochelle.....they seem to blend into each other and I find it disheartening....New Rochelle doesnt have character left...I miss the fine dept stores, the bowling, the pool rooms, the cinemas, bookies like Tony near Soo Chow, Harry the Hawk with one arm and his dog named Candy and the smoke filled shot and beer bars that were all over the place.....thats what gave it character as well.

Stroudsburg, PA

#3130 Jan 23, 2013
Yup...I got the news too last night about BS-SG HS. Makes me think even more about what New Rochelle Guy said about "character". Maple and Shea will never be the same, nor will New Rochelle. As a grad of BSHS in '74, I am very disappointed and feel empty about the whole thing.

Some people may say all that has happened to NR over the past few decades is progress and we just want to live in the past. I don't want to live in the past although I have fond memories, but what has happened to NR over the past few decades is not progress; it's decay...plain and simple.
Good Old Days wrote:
frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3131 Jan 23, 2013
hey nr guy, you must mean tony, talerini. do you remember pickles too. " whaddya say, whaddya know!!shoot the index finger at ya. always wore white, like a painters outfit.. anyone remember willy, he used to collect scrap, papers, take them to scrapyard, nice guy.always friendly to everyone
Charley

AOL

#3132 Jan 23, 2013
Good Old Days wrote:
http://newrochelle.patch.com/articles/new-roc...
Jammahn

Oxford, CT

#3133 Jan 23, 2013
Blessed Sacrament...Mother Theresa....Dodge Ball..Football....Donuts at the Mayflower....Being able to walk to and fromm school...bookbags.... Leo's wedges....AHHHH...Shit!

Stroudsburg, PA

#3134 Jan 24, 2013
I always remember Pickles as wearing khaki and giving out bazooka bubble gum.
frankie nac rat wrote:
hey nr guy, you must mean tony, talerini. do you remember pickles too. " whaddya say, whaddya know!!shoot the index finger at ya. always wore white, like a painters outfit.. anyone remember willy, he used to collect scrap, papers, take them to scrapyard, nice guy.always friendly to everyone

Stroudsburg, PA

#3135 Jan 24, 2013
Remember those big old BS bookbags you could buy at Jack's Army and Navy in red and white? Nothing like them anymore. Now the kids use knapsacks and call them bookbags...we called them knapsacks. Walk to and from school???? Now is the day of the school bus and "parent pickup". I walked a mile to and from BS every day from Kindergarten to Senior year, and I was allowed to walk to and from by myself starting in the 2nd grade. I would be afraid to let my 2nd grader walk by him/herself today with all the craziness out there. Oh, what a different time it was indeed.

Jammahn wrote:
Blessed Sacrament...Mother Theresa....Dodge Ball..Football....Donuts at the Mayflower....Being able to walk to and fromm school...bookbags.... Leo's wedges....AHHHH...Shit!
Rich Meyers

Bedford Hills, NY

#3136 Jan 24, 2013
Bayview wrote:
Yup...I got the news too last night about BS-SG HS. Makes me think even more about what New Rochelle Guy said about "character". Maple and Shea will never be the same, nor will New Rochelle. As a grad of BSHS in '74, I am very disappointed and feel empty about the whole thing.
Some people may say all that has happened to NR over the past few decades is progress and we just want to live in the past. I don't want to live in the past although I have fond memories, but what has happened to NR over the past few decades is not progress; it's decay...plain and simple.
<quoted text>
Your so right It WAS a great place to live and grow up. WAs
Rich Meyers

Bedford Hills, NY

#3137 Jan 24, 2013
Bayview wrote:
Remember those big old BS bookbags you could buy at Jack's Army and Navy in red and white? Nothing like them anymore. Now the kids use knapsacks and call them bookbags...we called them knapsacks. Walk to and from school???? Now is the day of the school bus and "parent pickup". I walked a mile to and from BS every day from Kindergarten to Senior year, and I was allowed to walk to and from by myself starting in the 2nd grade. I would be afraid to let my 2nd grader walk by him/herself today with all the craziness out there. Oh, what a different time it was indeed.
<quoted text>
As you ramble on thru life===what ever be what ever be your goal=======Keep you eyes upon on the donut and not upon the hole
frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3138 Jan 24, 2013
on the back wall over the boots, at the Mayflower Donut Shop..Remember the older lady ,blonde hair lots of make-up at the register. Used to give me a bag of the broken donuts, for free. Mother Catherine Marie, the Principle, was my first grade teacher, Mother Mary Jean was second grade, 3rd Mrs. Johnson,4th Mother Stella, on & on.. Remember the Slide, Merry go Round in corner under 3rd grade window. Mrs. Lydon on wed. for cookies in gym.. Ricky's candy store on center. Mr.Johnson, Mr. Glynn. Nutty Mother DeSalles...I guess your right on the Khakies, for Pickles. Some reason thought they were white.. Talbots next to the Cue,Town, Trent, Theatre.. Any one remember Julius's candy store, next to Choolihans rug store ? Anyone remember Dougie Dawson lived over Pat's deli (Main St. Deli)

Charley

AOL

#3139 Jan 24, 2013
frankie nac rat wrote:
on the back wall over the boots, at the Mayflower Donut Shop..Remember the older lady ,blonde hair lots of make-up at the register. Used to give me a bag of the broken donuts, for free. Mother Catherine Marie, the Principle, was my first grade teacher, Mother Mary Jean was second grade, 3rd Mrs. Johnson,4th Mother Stella, on & on.. Remember the Slide, Merry go Round in corner under 3rd grade window. Mrs. Lydon on wed. for cookies in gym.. Ricky's candy store on center. Mr.Johnson, Mr. Glynn. Nutty Mother DeSalles...I guess your right on the Khakies, for Pickles. Some reason thought they were white.. Talbots next to the Cue,Town, Trent, Theatre.. Any one remember Julius's candy store, next to Choolihans rug store ? Anyone remember Dougie Dawson lived over Pat's deli (Main St. Deli)
This is what 2 of my classmates and I can recall.

B.S. Grammar School Teachers - Boys

Grade Year Teacher
1 1943-44 Mother Catherine Marie, later principle.
2 1944-45 Miss Johnson
3 1945-46
4 1946-47 Mother Stella
5 1947-48 Miss Gardner
6 1948-49
7 1949-50
8 1950-51 Mother Kathleen

Mother St. Thomas. Principal first few years.
And I believe we had a Mother Jane Francis, but can't recall the grade.
Michael McGuire

Tampa, FL

#3140 Jan 25, 2013
Bayview wrote:
I don't want to live in the past although I have fond memories, but what has happened to NR over the past few decades is not progress; it's decay...plain and simple.
<quoted text>
I lived in the Harbor House complex on Davenport Ave in the 60's. It was great! We had tennis courts, basketball, playground, baseball in the center oval, marina across the street, the beach clubs and Hudson Park within walking distance, ice skating on the Mill Pond behind Trinity school, walk to IEY, 12 cents on the bus to NRHS. It was perfect for a kid!

I recently did a Google flyover of my old play area, It's all gone! It looks like a tidal wave wiped out everything leaving only the white outline of the basketball courts, like a white chalk outline where the corpse had been. My heart was broken.

I was looking forward to a trip north in March to see my granddaughter. I was going to visit all my old haunts for one last snapshot of youth. Now I'm rethinking that plan. Sad!
IrishJohn

Eastchester, NY

#3141 Feb 3, 2013
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Jack was a terrific guy...I think he lived on Stephenson Blvd.
I used to go to Jacks Lounge when I got off work at night from driving a limo.....it was a strange place with strange people but it was good.
Oh yes, my dad had his cast of characters, from his friends on the police department to the guys in the motorcycle club around the block. I was young, but everyone seemed to mesh. To this day I hear oldies on the radio and remember his juke box, or going next door to what was then centre ave pizza. It was a learning experience growing up, good place to be to learn diversity. I remember there was a guy who delivered the newspaper, Jpey. He had MS and had trouble walking, drooled, but worked. My dad really admired him and if anyone in the bar made fun of him after he would leave my father would pull their drink and ask them to leave. Good lesson in acceptance too
frankie nac rat

Columbia, MO

#3142 Feb 3, 2013
Yea the guys around the block were called the ching a linbgs, next door to where the cab office was. one of them called cheesy rider. drove a bus for beechmont bus co... across from the cabbies office that old bldg., housed Pepsi Cola years ago.
Rich Meyers

Katonah, NY

#3143 Feb 3, 2013
IrishJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes, my dad had his cast of characters, from his friends on the police department to the guys in the motorcycle club around the block. I was young, but everyone seemed to mesh. To this day I hear oldies on the radio and remember his juke box, or going next door to what was then centre ave pizza. It was a learning experience growing up, good place to be to learn diversity. I remember there was a guy who delivered the newspaper, Jpey. He had MS and had trouble walking, drooled, but worked. My dad really admired him and if anyone in the bar made fun of him after he would leave my father would pull their drink and ask them to leave. Good lesson in acceptance too
Do remember Joey. Ricky little newspaper shop next to the BS field was a small time bookie joint.Nice guy, friend of my step dad. Those were the days my friend. I thought they would never end.
New Rochelle Guy

Warwick, NY

#3144 Feb 15, 2013
frankie nac rat wrote:
lol Frankie...exactly!!!...I remember pickles as well...There was a guy named Perry Haskins as well...we used to to call him the Lord Mayor of Huguenot street....he was always loaded (with money and booze) the first of the month but a character and a good man.
New Rochelle Guy

Warwick, NY

#3145 Feb 15, 2013
IrishJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually one night after getting off work I stopped in there on my way home and met who was my girlfriend for a long time so Jacks was always a good memory for me.
New Rochelle Guy

Warwick, NY

#3146 Feb 15, 2013
IrishJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Motorcycle club was Ching-a-Ling nomads....they were actually some nice guys....I was friendly with most.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yonkers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vanessa Anne Hudgens Phone Number (Jan '08) 2 hr Zannesaforever rocks 744
Review: Lucy Auto Driving School Sat IsMe 1
Review: One Stop Jay Cleaners Sat mikeyluv1124 1
Who do you hate more...blacks or jews? Fri believe me 7
News Ray Rice -- Selling Baltimore Mansion Mar 27 stenbrian333 1
Review: Vanderleigh Properties (Nov '08) Mar 26 STAY AWAY 37
Pain meds,Xtcy pills for sale (May '14) Mar 25 Lalulu 4
Yonkers Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web