In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Acade...

In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong

There are 370 comments on the www.theatlantic.com story from Dec 13, 2012, titled In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong. In it, www.theatlantic.com reports that:

In the 1960s and '70s, towns across the South created inexpensive private schools to keep white students from having to mix with black.

took LaToysha Brown 13 years to realize how little interaction she had with white peers in her Mississippi Delta town: not at church, not at school, not at anywhere. The realization dawned when she was in the seventh grade, studying the civil rights movement at an after-school program called the Sunflower County Freedom Project. It didn't bother her at first. By high school, however, Brown had started to wonder if separate could ever be equal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.theatlantic.com.

First Prev
of 19
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Dec 14, 2012
Racial segregation still going strong in the deep south?

Gee, what a shocker!

That's just one of many reasons I no longer travel below the Manson-Nixon line into the confederacy.
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#2 Dec 14, 2012
So going to a private school is now racism too, such bs. People are so obsessed with the race issue that it guarantees they will never get over it. If there is no diversity at the dinner table maybe we should force people to invite more diverse people over for dinner.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#3 Dec 14, 2012
Robert wrote:
So going to a private school is now racism too, such bs. People are so obsessed with the race issue that it guarantees they will never get over it. If there is no diversity at the dinner table maybe we should force people to invite more diverse people over for dinner.
You might actually try that.

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

#4 Dec 14, 2012
the great thing about this country is that people are free to do what they please. course, that freedom seems to be shrinking under this administration. whoops, i guess that was racist?!?!?
Sheik Yerbouti

Pennington, NJ

#5 Dec 14, 2012
Here in Philly the schools are so violent and infested with thugs that most parents that can afford it send their kids to parochial schools. The Nuns don't tolerate any bs!

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#6 Dec 14, 2012
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Here in Philly the schools are so violent and infested with thugs that most parents that can afford it send their kids to parochial schools. The Nuns don't tolerate any bs!
At least you're not in Camden.
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#7 Dec 14, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
You might actually try that.
I have all the diverseness I need in order to play well with the other children and don't need for others to decide for me.

Everything is racist, I am tired of hearing it. Drag someone behind the truck because they are black, that is racist. Work two jobs so you can send your kid to private school in hopes of a better education, that is not racist.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Dec 14, 2012
Robert wrote:
So going to a private school is now racism too, such bs. People are so obsessed with the race issue that it guarantees they will never get over it. If there is no diversity at the dinner table maybe we should force people to invite more diverse people over for dinner.
That would certainly help break down the racial intolerance.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Dec 14, 2012
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
I have all the diverseness I need in order to play well with the other children and don't need for others to decide for me.
Everything is racist, I am tired of hearing it. Drag someone behind the truck because they are black, that is racist. Work two jobs so you can send your kid to private school in hopes of a better education, that is not racist.
True, but specifically creating private all-white schools which ban blacks like still happens in the confederacy IS racist. That's kinda the whole point of the article.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#10 Dec 14, 2012
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Here in Philly the schools are so violent and infested with thugs that most parents that can afford it send their kids to parochial schools. The Nuns don't tolerate any bs!
The question is whether those parochial schools are all white like in the confederacy.

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

#11 Dec 15, 2012
diversity is such a mantra for the PC in this country. as if diversity, in and of itself will solve all of our problems. if people DON'T want to diversify, that is seen as racism. maybe it is in some cases. however, in a free country, one can choose to be a racist. get over it. tend to your own garden. and if it makes you feel good to belittle people in the south, have at it. your opinion does not affect me.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Dec 15, 2012
GoodNewz wrote:
diversity is such a mantra for the PC in this country. as if diversity, in and of itself will solve all of our problems. if people DON'T want to diversify, that is seen as racism. maybe it is in some cases. however, in a free country, one can choose to be a racist. get over it. tend to your own garden. and if it makes you feel good to belittle people in the south, have at it. your opinion does not affect me.
Having lived in the confederacy for numerous years while in the military, I can say without hesitation that the resistance to diversifying schools & neighborhoods is DEFINITELY due to racism. That fake 'southern hospitality' only applies as long as you follow the rules and stay on your side of town.

Being white, everyone assumed I had the same racist attitudes they did, and they would often let the n-word fly in casual conversation- as long as no blacks were within earshot (they were typical cowards as well as bigots).

Yes, you have the right to be a racist. And we have the right to call you out for it.

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

#13 Dec 15, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Having lived in the confederacy for numerous years while in the military, I can say without hesitation that the resistance to diversifying schools & neighborhoods is DEFINITELY due to racism. That fake 'southern hospitality' only applies as long as you follow the rules and stay on your side of town.
Being white, everyone assumed I had the same racist attitudes they did, and they would often let the n-word fly in casual conversation- as long as no blacks were within earshot (they were typical cowards as well as bigots).
Yes, you have the right to be a racist. And we have the right to call you out for it.
i am not a racist. i have been in the north enough to know that there are MANY racists there. i have also been around enough holier-than-thou, patronizing, bleeding heart do-gooders who think they are better and have higher morals than others and that everything would be just fine and dandy if everyone followed their puritanical high standards. we have a right to tell 'em to mind their own business, and to go take a flying flip.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#14 Dec 15, 2012
GoodNewz wrote:
<quoted text>
i am not a racist. i have been in the north enough to know that there are MANY racists there. i have also been around enough holier-than-thou, patronizing, bleeding heart do-gooders who think they are better and have higher morals than others and that everything would be just fine and dandy if everyone followed their puritanical high standards. we have a right to tell 'em to mind their own business, and to go take a flying flip.
Of course you're not (wink, wink). Why is it no racist will ever just admit they're a racist? Because they're also cowards, at least until they get a 12 pack in them, then they tie blacks to the back of their rusty pickup and drag them around town.

Of course there are racist everywhere in this country, but they don't have the same history of stringing up blacks from the nearest tree like they do in the confederacy.

Face it, you people are crazy from all the inbreeding.

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

#15 Dec 15, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you're not (wink, wink). Why is it no racist will ever just admit they're a racist? Because they're also cowards, at least until they get a 12 pack in them, then they tie blacks to the back of their rusty pickup and drag them around town.
Of course there are racist everywhere in this country, but they don't have the same history of stringing up blacks from the nearest tree like they do in the confederacy.
Face it, you people are crazy from all the inbreeding.
i'm sorry, i gave up on discourse with intellectual pygmies, who have a lame grasp of reality and big mouths. enjoy your pseudo-superiority over millions of people.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#16 Dec 15, 2012
GoodNewz wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm sorry, i gave up on discourse with intellectual pygmies, who have a lame grasp of reality and big mouths. enjoy your pseudo-superiority over millions of people.
I guess that's as close to an admission of your complicity in the ongoing racism in the confederacy as one can expect.
once attended delta jr

Ellsworth, ME

#18 Dec 20, 2012
having being born in mississippi. private schools were started as a direct result of blacks integration into schools once dominated by whites only . the only whites left to go to school with blacks were dirt poor. in small towns such as moorhead whites even refuse to shop at stores frequent by blacks. this was all due to racism. they didn't want to be around blacks and blacks didn't wat to be around whites/ when we saw whte at night e would run for ou lives. it usually meant nothing good
oh yeah

Virginia Beach, VA

#19 Dec 20, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course there are racist everywhere in this country, but they don't have the same history of stringing up blacks from the nearest tree like they do in the confederacy.
Yeah, well that's the northern created narrative, isn't it?

Here's some inconvenient history:

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lansing/artic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_dr...
oh yeah

Virginia Beach, VA

#20 Dec 20, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>

Being white, everyone assumed I had the same racist attitudes they did, and they would often let the n-word fly in casual conversation- as long as no blacks were within earshot (they were typical cowards as well as bigots).
Funny, I had the same thing happen to me when I lived in the Northeast........

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#21 Dec 20, 2012
oh yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, well that's the northern created narrative, isn't it?
Here's some inconvenient history:
http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lansing/artic...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_dr...
I guess you missed the part where they noted the Klan is Michigan was NOT the violent version like seen in the south......

Yes we have bigots and even KKK'ers here. They're just not as violent as in the confederacy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yazoo City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man Got Kilt in Yazoo City (Apr '11) May 19 Redneck 10
News How Eddie Noel avoided a lynch mob is a bizarre... (Aug '10) Apr 29 Erick Faulkner 15
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Mississipp... (Oct '10) Apr '15 Abe Lincon 60
Yazoo City Music Thread (May '12) Feb '15 Musikologist 15
Does anyone know Bryce Ketchum? (Dec '12) Jan '15 drummer boi 4
heirs of albert gardner (Aug '14) Nov '14 cash 14
Federal Prison Yazoo City (Dec '09) Oct '14 ammo troop 58
More from around the web

Yazoo City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]