New volunteers graduate from Suffolk ...

New volunteers graduate from Suffolk fire academy

There are 13 comments on the Newsday story from Oct 19, 2008, titled New volunteers graduate from Suffolk fire academy. In it, Newsday reports that:

Matt Palmer, 20, of Brookhaven hamlet, sat in a classroom at the Suffolk County Fire Academy in Yaphank yesterday morning, waiting for his graduation ceremony to start.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Hmmm

AOL

#1 Oct 19, 2008
Congratulations to all, and good luck!
maxwell

Highland, NY

#2 Oct 19, 2008
let me guess, to graduate you have to gain 30 pounds and learn to Drink Beer. Only the High honored students learn how to slowly increase the FD's budget without people noticing.

We need volunteers, we don't need the equipment each town has. Not by a long shot.
Cracker

Levittown, NY

#4 Oct 19, 2008
maxwell wrote:
let me guess, to graduate you have to gain 30 pounds and learn to Drink Beer. Only the High honored students learn how to slowly increase the FD's budget without people noticing.
We need volunteers, we don't need the equipment each town has. Not by a long shot.
I don't agree. They do need all that equipment just in case the largest buidlings in most towns should catch fire. You know, the firehouses!

Since: Apr 08

AOL

#5 Oct 19, 2008
THANK YOU & CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF THE NEW FIREFIGHTERS OF SUFFOLK.....THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!
Jennifer Gennaro

AOL

#8 Oct 19, 2008
To the posters of negative comments: You try and do any of the thingss these guys had to endure. My husband is the one in the picture with my son. I am so PROUD to call my husband a lifesaver. He is not a drinker but LOVES being a firefighter. Just hope that if your home is ever on fire, you have someone as dedicated to help save your life. And as for saying FDNY are the only heroes....as much as I DO love the FDNY, there were tons of other FDs at the towers helpiing the recovery effort. Don't downplay volunteers just because they don't get paid to do the same thing careeer FFs do. ANYONE who'll walk where the devil dances is a hero to me.
hey now

United States

#10 Oct 19, 2008
Shut Up Dummy wrote:
<quoted text>
FDNY 9/11 FFs were victims of incompetent leadership, not heroes.
More civilians help get more people out than anyone, yet al we here is about what heroes the PAID responders were.
Amen to that....

Buy more t-shirts for the brothers.... NOT.
Party On

Yonkers, NY

#11 Oct 19, 2008
To all those negative posters..........why don't you join. You can serve the community, learn something new, and maybe save a life. What's that? You would rather sit on the couch and spend your time bashing others.

You will call if you need us, and we will still come, even if you are an a**hole.
Long Time Resident

AOL

#12 Oct 21, 2008
Brookhaven Fire district covers all of Broookhaven Hamlet and Southaven, half of Shirley and parts of Bellport and Yaphank
General Zod

United States

#13 Oct 25, 2008
Graduation were food stamps and a 6 pack of beer.

Long Island Vollys are loser tras^h.,
General Zod

United States

#14 Oct 25, 2008
FDNY are 9/11 hereo's
LI Vollys are 7/11 beer buying drunk zeros.
Long Time Resident

AOL

#15 Oct 26, 2008
General Zod wrote:
FDNY are 9/11 hereo's
LI Vollys are 7/11 beer buying drunk zeros.
Americas heroes are those serving in the US military especially Marines.

Really

New Rochelle, NY

#17 May 15, 2010
General Zod,
The funny thing about you is you're the type to sit back and criticize everyone else on what they do, how they do it, and how it should really be done, but here's the kicker - you probably haven't done a thing in your life worth a damn. These volunteer firefighters are the ones who will get up in the middle of the night to drag you and your family out of a burning house. Actually, that's inaccurate since you probably still live in your Mom's basement and angrily berate Firefighters, Cops and anyone else you see fit since you know deep down inside you'll never be half the people they are.
But since you're so bold as to call these men and women out do me a favor - go to your local Fire Department and say it to their faces. I'll bet good money you don't have the guts, it's fine, I know prefer to hide behind a computer and hurl insults that way nobody can make fun of you personally.
Does Newsday give them the best reputation? No. Do I love them all the same, since I know I couldn't crawl into a burning building myself? Absolutely.
Enjoy your pathetic life.
know it all

East Hampton, NY

#18 May 17, 2010
Shut Up Dummy wrote:
<quoted text>
FDNY 9/11 FFs were victims of incompetent leadership, not heroes.
More civilians help get more people out than anyone, yet al we here is about what heroes the PAID responders were.
Amen to that....

Buy more t-shirts for the brothers.... NOT.

345 FDNY died that day, running IN when everyone else was running out! Let's just get that straight!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yaphank Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A holes not in charge of village, no tickets at... 1 hr mbisgreat 16
horse boarding (Jan '13) 19 hr JD Sauce 36
S Prestano Bakery 23 hr Luigi 9
Review: Fairharbor Owners (Feb '15) Sep 14 Former Resident 33
Farmingville, NY (Jul '10) Sep 14 SmokinJoe 37
News Seattle's mayor resigns after 5th sex abuse cla... Sep 14 MR EMMETT TILL. 20
News Fifth man's charges of abuse lead Seattle mayor... Sep 14 Carver 13

Yaphank Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Yaphank Mortgages