NM court upholds gay discrimination r...

NM court upholds gay discrimination ruling

There are 260 comments on the KNDU story from Jun 5, 2012, titled NM court upholds gay discrimination ruling. In it, KNDU reports that:

The billionaire family that's giving away a 217-acre campus in western Massachusetts has narrowed the potential recipients to two.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KNDU.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#246 Jul 21, 2012
dpb wrote:
I've had Akitas (sweetest dogs ever) for years and my Ins. still is good as gold. And yes, you finally get it - a Protected Class changes the playing field. As I said several times -- It all hinges on the Protection of a Class -- bare feet don't count as protected nor does lack of good sense, a problem you have.
Nope, not a problem but for those who chose to be bare foot where there is glass, nails and or other objects that can cut their feet it is.

As for owning an Akitas, it is up to each insurance company whether or not they will insure you or ad a waiver or increase your rates.

Have you told them in the last two years, I believe it was about that time most added that list to the "we might not cover you if you own one of these dogs".

Funny thing is there does not seem to be any dangerous cats so I suppose I could own a pet baby lion and be allowed to have insurance.

Assuming I have all the legal papers to own one from the city/county/state/federal governments.

I know we are off base on the subject but I really wonder if owning legally such a cat would change the insurance policy considering there is nothing in any of them about such wild animals.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#247 Jul 21, 2012
We can only own and control what we are told we can own and control. End of discussion. Wiser heads have come up with this.
Junior

United States

#248 Jul 21, 2012
Just left of right wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, no. I believe the owner of any private enterprise has the right to refuse service to anyone for whatever reason they choose. I may not agree with their reasoning and, if I didn't, I wouldn't do business with them. It's really that simple.
I envy you. As a dark skinned human being who experienced the Jim Crow days, I pray to never return to those dark days when a storekeeper/barkeeper/doctor/m ayor/etc, had the right to refuse service to me for "whatever reason" he believed in. Race.

Location hidden

#249 Jul 21, 2012
Junior wrote:
<quoted text>
I envy you. As a dark skinned human being who experienced the Jim Crow days, I pray to never return to those dark days when a storekeeper/barkeeper/doctor/m ayor/etc, had the right to refuse service to me for "whatever reason" he believed in. Race.
In some parts of the USA those days are still there and I would never knowingly visit or stop in those places.

I was brought up to believe we are all born innocence and that color is only skin deep, our blood is all red, we breath the same air, go to the same places at times and even sit next to each other and say hello with no malice towards our fellow American.
Junior

United States

#250 Jul 21, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
In some parts of the USA those days are still there and I would never knowingly visit or stop in those places.
I was brought up to believe we are all born innocence and that color is only skin deep, our blood is all red, we breath the same air, go to the same places at times and even sit next to each other and say hello with no malice towards our fellow American.
Nice words. But put them in one hand and dump in the other. See which fills up first.

“Eys so hendsum!”

Since: Jun 09

Ol' Juarez

#251 Jul 21, 2012
dpb wrote:
Believe what you want, but the Law says you are wrong. Basing your service in a public business upon your whims/bigotry is just plain illegal, as this decision reaffirms.
You are correct! "Businesses are primarily places of public accommodation. That means they are in business to accommodate the needs of the public. They actively invite and seek the patronage of the public and therefore are subject to the same anti-discrimination laws that protect workers seeking employment or promotion. Specifically, the Civil Rights Act of 1964".

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#252 Jul 22, 2012
<quoted text>
Actually, no. I believe the owner of any private enterprise has the right to refuse service to anyone for whatever reason they choose. I may not agree with their reasoning and, if I didn't, I wouldn't do business with them. It's really that simple.
Apparently, many, many people... and the law... do not agree that it is that simple. I have heard too many first-hand accounts of discrimination from family members to think that your philosophy is a good one. Sorry.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#253 Jul 22, 2012
Junior wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go. That is as simple as it gets. Thanks.

Location hidden

#254 Jul 22, 2012
Junior wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice words. But put them in one hand and dump in the other. See which fills up first.
You make NO SENSE.

Sober up before replying to a post and explain it too.

Do you ever read what you say?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#255 Jul 22, 2012
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct! "Businesses are primarily places of public accommodation. That means they are in business to accommodate the needs of the public. They actively invite and seek the patronage of the public and therefore are subject to the same anti-discrimination laws that protect workers seeking employment or promotion. Specifically, the Civil Rights Act of 1964".
Not all privately owned business cater to the public in the way you describe. I owned my own business for over 20 years but never had a "store front", so to speak. Many businesses, such as mine, never have "walk ins". I was an accountant and chose who I would and would not work with. I never declined to work with anyone except a few who's requirements were either out of my areas of expertise or they required much more work than they were willing to pay for.

Location hidden

#256 Jul 22, 2012
<quoted text>

I was an accountant and chose who I would and would not work with. I never declined to work with anyone except a few who's requirements were either out of my areas of expertise or they required much more work than they were willing to pay for.
You mean to say BOOKIE, hmmm, what horse should I put to WIN in the next race ??????

Location hidden

#257 Jul 22, 2012
there are many businesses that decline work because it is "outside their scope of practice." Take a look at a medical private practice. Doesn't say public practice. There are some medical clinics in town that will not take any self-pay patients. Insurance or nothing. Discrimination?

“Eys so hendsum!”

Ol' Juarez

#258 Jul 22, 2012
<quoted text>
Not all privately owned business cater to the public in the way you describe. I owned my own business for over 20 years but never had a "store front", so to speak. Many businesses, such as mine, never have "walk ins". I was an accountant and chose who I would and would not work with. I never declined to work with anyone except a few who's requirements were either out of my areas of expertise or they required much more work than they were willing to pay for.
The Law as it applies has nothing to do with such, it is about discrimination against someone or a group based on race, color, religion etc. If you had denied someone service based on any of those, you could have been sued.

Location hidden

#259 Jul 22, 2012
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Law as it applies has nothing to do with such, it is about discrimination against someone or a group based on race, color, religion etc. If you had denied someone service based on any of those, you could have been sued.
One would think with the number of posts that you have made that you would have learned something. Sorry, just denied you.

“Eys so hendsum!”

Ol' Juarez

#260 Jul 22, 2012
Willothewisp wrote:
<quoted text>
One would think with the number of posts that you have made that you would have learned something. Sorry, just denied you.
So have you read what the Civil Rights Act says? I have and again, research!

“Eys so hendsum!”

Ol' Juarez

#261 Jul 22, 2012
Oh and btw Will, research it yourself, just like I do.

Location hidden

#262 Jul 22, 2012

Location hidden

#263 Jul 23, 2012
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, my point flew right over your head. I was simply pointing out that there are many privately owned businesses that do not operate as you described.

However, I would also like to point out that businesses such as mine probably do discriminate all the time but there is little way to prove it.

“Eys so hendsum!”

Ol' Juarez

#264 Jul 23, 2012
<quoted text>
Again, my point flew right over your head. I was simply pointing out that there are many privately owned businesses that do not operate as you described.
However, I would also like to point out that businesses such as mine probably do discriminate all the time but there is little way to prove it.
No it didn't fly over my head Jlor, again any business that discriminates based on gender, religion, race etc. can be sued. The only way a private business can't be sued is if you have a contract with a specific company to just handle their business or if you have a specific clientele and do not advertise for new business. Otherwise you can be sued if you discriminate.

Location hidden

#265 Jul 23, 2012
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>No it didn't fly over my head Jlor, again any business that discriminates based on gender, religion, race etc. can be sued. The only way a private business can't be sued is if you have a contract with a specific company to just handle their business or if you have a specific clientele and do not advertise for new business. Otherwise you can be sued if you discriminate.
Well, there ya go! You just described my type of business perfectly! Good job!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yakima Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sunnyside Gang Member Found Guilty in Court (Feb '09) Mar '16 FREE 2DO WAT I PL... 68
Causual Encounter Feb '16 reallycuriousdude 1
The Lodge at the Canyon River is run by MEXICAN... (Mar '12) Dec '15 ambersky 7
how yakima child custody rights and grandparent... (Dec '15) Dec '15 ooooo 1
Seeking drugs (Nov '15) Dec '15 ooooo 2
News Hezbollah calls for boycott of UN tribunal (Oct '10) Dec '15 USS LIBERTY 7
News National Guard called in to help fight Washingt... (Aug '15) Aug '15 retired military 1

Yakima Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Yakima Mortgages