xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#31444 Jul 13, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Ray, but you were asking about books we read. Those are the books by Rush that I actually read. I know he did some children's books recently, but I haven't read them. Have you? I don't tend to read children's books. Has Rush written anything for adults lately? If he has, I haven't heard about them.
<quoted text>
Do you really think I care about how Hillary's book is doing? Books by (trying to be) Presidents tend to suck. Remember Jim Carter's "Why Not the Best?" They aren't books, they are infomercials.
So, Ray, I'm curious. Do you read books? My guess would be "no" (because very few people read books these days.) If you do read, what's the last fiction book you read? I enjoyed reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude". In the nonfiction category, I've been reading "The Great American Broadcast", which is about the early days of radio, when it was still live dramas and comedies (revisiting my lost youth!) I think you might enjoy both of them.
If it's not on a computer screen, I don't read it. LOL!

I'm sorry but like most Americans, I've become an addict to the internet. I don't have a lot of time on my hands between my job and this place, but when I do read, it's here.

I was never much of a reader though. My mind kind of drifts off and I become board very quickly. For some people, reading is enjoyment, for others, it's a chore. And no, I never bought or read Limbaugh's books. Actually I get annoyed by all the advertising he does on his show about it.

I just find it a little unfair that people criticize what they didn't read. It's no different than when I post a link and I get "Oh, it's from blah, blah, blah" and they never bothered to look at it nor challenge it. If it's from Fox, Hannity, Breibart of whatever, so it's automatically discarded and end of conversation.
Exactly XXX

United States

#31445 Jul 13, 2014
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#31446 Jul 13, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure if you were making a joke there or not...
But context is important. Here's a public figure from long ago responding to a reporter's question:
Q. "Has this trip changed your views any about Latin America and your policies? Do you see any perspectives differently after this trip?
A. "you know, they're all individual countries."
Does this out of context response "stand on its own"?
Sry OG, I was not making a joke. If one includes Pelosi's preamble & post words to her statement, in this case it I don't see that it makes any difference. I was simply being brief & I don't think too brief.
Your 'example' question is an apple/oranges comparison since Pelosi was not answering questions & was basically giving a speech without overt pressure.
But I will say that in your example question, it would appear that the respondent was being evasive or not understanding of the question or wanting to qualify the question or the answer.
But again, Nancy was not answering questions. She was speaking her own words & thoughts without interference. As I see it, one of her few candid moments.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#31447 Jul 13, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I was never much of a reader though. My mind kind of drifts off and I become board very quickly.
Those are the times we live in. Everything is reduced to little nuggets of information/entertainment because it's hard to hold most people's attention for very long.
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
For some people, reading is enjoyment, for others, it's a chore.
Yes, you are right about that. I've always been a fast reader and I can easily get lost in a good book. But I know that's not typical these days.
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
And no, I never bought or read Limbaugh's books. Actually I get annoyed by all the advertising he does on his show about it.
They are a lot like his early radio show. I read them back in the 90s. I never thought that he would become the influential person he is now. I remembering thinking back at the time that he was just a chubby "Joe Pyne" clone. He didn't seem to be very deep, but he certainly struck a chord with Republicans back then. He's had an amazingly run since then.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#31448 Jul 13, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> Sry OG, I was not making a joke.
It was just a funny typo then.
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>
But I will say that in your example question, it would appear that the respondent was being evasive or not understanding of the question or wanting to qualify the question or the answer.
I was just trying to show you that most complicated statements don't "stand alone" --- context is very important. The quote I gave you came from Ronald Reagan. Within context, I think Reagan comes off pretty well.

"Q. Has this trip changed your views any about Latin America and your policies? Do you see any perspectives differently after this trip?

The President. Well, I learned a lot, because that's what I went to do, is—I didn't go down there with any plan for the Americas or anything. I went down to find out from them and their views. And you'd be surprised, yes, because, you know, they're all individual countries. I think one of the greatest mistakes in the world that we've made has been in thinking, lumping—thinking "Latin America." You don't talk that way about Europe. You recognize the difference between various countries. And the same thing is true here.

So, I went down to say to them what my dream was about this accord and then say, "Now, how can we make it work?"

Q. Were they surprised at that attitude?
Did they think that was a change in attitude?

The President. I think so. No one actually specifically said it, but I think they did."

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/...
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

#31449 Jul 13, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
It was just a funny typo then.
<quoted text>
I was just trying to show you that most complicated statements don't "stand alone" --- context is very important. The quote I gave you came from Ronald Reagan. Within context, I think Reagan comes off pretty well.
"Q. Has this trip changed your views any about Latin America and your policies? Do you see any perspectives differently after this trip?
The President. Well, I learned a lot, because that's what I went to do, is—I didn't go down there with any plan for the Americas or anything. I went down to find out from them and their views. And you'd be surprised, yes, because, you know, they're all individual countries. I think one of the greatest mistakes in the world that we've made has been in thinking, lumping—thinking "Latin America." You don't talk that way about Europe. You recognize the difference between various countries. And the same thing is true here.
So, I went down to say to them what my dream was about this accord and then say, "Now, how can we make it work?"
Q. Were they surprised at that attitude?
Did they think that was a change in attitude?
The President. I think so. No one actually specifically said it, but I think they did."
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/...
I respect your sample example question. And admit that most out of context quotes are F'd up. But some, although a small number, still stand alone. Nancy's is one of the small number. And even IF not, this bill was still NOT on the web for a period of time stated by Obama for feedback. Obviously from her statement, even Pelosi didn't have/take time to review the bill or she wouldn't have made the statement that she did make.
I may be paraphrasing but not inaccurately,...vote for it to find out what is in it.
I still stand by my claim that the Dems pushed this through before the House numbers changed.
I also stand by my claim that the insurance changes could have been legislated on the insurance companies without being taken over by the Feds.
They (D.C.) can't properly operate the SS funds, the postal service, the highway funds, the VA funding & operation, & so much more that I am admittedly a 5 star skeptic of anything that the government controls.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#31450 Jul 14, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> I respect your sample example question. And admit that most out of context quotes are F'd up. But some, although a small number, still stand alone. Nancy's is one of the small number.
Pops, Pelosi's enemies have been twisting that quote for a long time. Here's how it was initially reported at the time:

"Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Tuesday that people won’t appreciate how great the Democrat’s health plan is until after it passes.

“You’ve heard about the controversies, the process about the bill…but I don’t know if you’ve heard that it is legislation for the future – not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America,” she told the National Association of Counties annual legislative conference, which has drawn about 2,000 local officials to Washington.“But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it – away from the fog of the controversy.”"

http://www.politico.com/livepulse/0310/Pelosi...

Note that she says "we have to pass the bill so that YOU can find out what is in it" --- she is telling the audience that THEY will find out truth about the Bill once it was passed. The person who wrote this article understood that, as is clear from the first sentence.
truth amanda keppler

Ormond Beach, FL

#31451 Jul 14, 2014
is amanda keppler out of jail does any one know have they got her for selling her food stamps for pills and stealing that old womans rings in jackson
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#31452 Jul 14, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are the times we live in. Everything is reduced to little nuggets of information/entertainment because it's hard to hold most people's attention for very long.
<quoted text>
Yes, you are right about that. I've always been a fast reader and I can easily get lost in a good book. But I know that's not typical these days.
<quoted text>
They are a lot like his early radio show. I read them back in the 90s. I never thought that he would become the influential person he is now. I remembering thinking back at the time that he was just a chubby "Joe Pyne" clone. He didn't seem to be very deep, but he certainly struck a chord with Republicans back then. He's had an amazingly run since then.
Since he first came to Cleveland, I knew he was going to be a huge success.

I didn't who Limbaugh was at the time until my then brother-in-law mentioned him. We were at a family gathering discussing politics as usual. My brother-in-law was listening on as he was helping my sister bring out dinner, and he said to me "You must be a Limbaugh fan" and laughed.

I had no idea WTF he was even talking about. Then some time passed by and I was pizzed off at something the Democrats did, and decided to turn this Limbaugh guy on and see what my brother-in-law was talking about. It was a big switch for me going from FM to AM. I haven't turned him off since.

For me, it was like listening to myself on the radio. It took me a while to catch on as it would for any first time listener, but after the first two or three weeks, I was addicted. When Limbaugh first came to the Cleveland airwaves, he was more conservative and radical than he is today. He mellowed out some.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#31453 Jul 14, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> Sry OG, I was not making a joke. If one includes Pelosi's preamble & post words to her statement, in this case it I don't see that it makes any difference. I was simply being brief & I don't think too brief.
Your 'example' question is an apple/oranges comparison since Pelosi was not answering questions & was basically giving a speech without overt pressure.
But again, Nancy was not answering questions. She was speaking her own words & thoughts without interference. As I see it, one of her few candid moments.
Pops, you still haven't compared the words Pelosi actually said with what you think she said have you? Why not? Are you afraid to find out that she didn't say what you seem to think she said?
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#31454 Jul 14, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I was never much of a reader though. My mind kind of drifts off and I become board very quickly.
This is what I have been telling you for awhile now. Some people are better equipped for thinky stuff than others. You are missing important stuff when your mind drifts off.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#31455 Jul 14, 2014
Pops wrote:
<quoted text> I may be paraphrasing but not inaccurately,...vote for it to find out what is in it.
That is absolutely NOT what she said. Come on, Pops. For some reason I always thought you were better than this.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#31456 Jul 14, 2014
Pope Che Reagan Christ I wrote:
<quoted text>
Pops, you still haven't compared the words Pelosi actually said with what you think she said have you? Why not? Are you afraid to find out that she didn't say what you seem to think she said?
in the real world people take verbatim what comes out a persons mouth, and not debate what was really meant by reading between the lines.

why is it a wonder to someone like you who self proclaimed to be the smarted in the world, but has to hold their hand out for assistance because minimum wage is the best you can do?

action and not words fix things.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#31457 Jul 14, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't who Limbaugh was at the time until my then brother-in-law mentioned him. We were at a family gathering discussing politics as usual. My brother-in-law was listening on as he was helping my sister bring out dinner, and he said to me "You must be a Limbaugh fan" and laughed.
I had no idea WTF he was even talking about. Then some time passed by and I was pizzed off at something the Democrats did, and decided to turn this Limbaugh guy on and see what my brother-in-law was talking about. It was a big switch for me going from FM to AM. I haven't turned him off since.
For me, it was like listening to myself on the radio. It took me a while to catch on as it would for any first time listener, but after the first two or three weeks, I was addicted. When Limbaugh first came to the Cleveland airwaves, he was more conservative and radical than he is today. He mellowed out some.
I don't believe I have ever seen a person admit that they "think" like Rush Limbaugh. That and the whole "I can't concentrate enough to read" admission has pretty much summed up the reasons for the Taliban Ray world view.
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

#31458 Jul 14, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
And here you have the confession of a very, very low information voter. No wonder you blame everything wrong in that life you have on everybody else. Nothing like being self-admitted ADDICTED to a lying, blathering idiot.
Pope Che Reagan Christ

Toledo, OH

#31459 Jul 14, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
in the real world people take verbatim what comes out a persons mouth, and not debate what was really meant by reading between the lines.
why is it a wonder to someone like you who self proclaimed to be the smarted in the world, but has to hold their hand out for assistance because minimum wage is the best you can do?
action and not words fix things.
That's what I am trying to tell Pops. Instead of making something up he should listen to what she actually said.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#31460 Jul 14, 2014
<quoted text>
That is absolutely NOT what she said. Come on, Pops. For some reason I always thought you were better than this.
why argue.....it is documented video in archives.

wait till election cycle if you are to lazy to look it up.

The actual video will be aired in advertisements against Democrats for voting for Obamacare.

Not a single Republican voted for the failure Obamacare, and the video of Nancy Pelosi will be aired frequently.

So will the one where she said unemployment benefits help the economy.

Nancy is a loon, and so are you.....what else is new?
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

#31461 Jul 14, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
why argue.....it is documented video in archives.
wait till election cycle if you are to lazy to look it up.
The actual video will be aired in advertisements against Democrats for voting for Obamacare.
Not a single Republican voted for the failure Obamacare, and the video of Nancy Pelosi will be aired frequently.
So will the one where she said unemployment benefits help the economy.
Nancy is a loon, and so are you.....what else is new?
Because for some reason, y'all can't seem to quote her accurately, even after watching the video. Why is that?
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#31462 Jul 14, 2014
<quoted text>
Because for some reason, y'all can't seem to quote her accurately, even after watching the video. Why is that?
http://www.newsrealblog.com/2010/12/27/top-10...
read
Canton

Canton, OH

#31464 Jul 14, 2014
Anything worse than this? Nope.

“If this were a dictatorship, it’d be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I’m the dictator.”~ George W. Bush

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 19 min Rotten to the Core 31,555
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 40 min UnderstandPeople 19,566
Photos 13 hr Net Nut 1
Jerkwad Jabbar-shooting details emerge: 16 hr Dennis E Gannon 6
Police: Teen shot dead by shopper wanted shoes 19 hr Net Nut 4
Merry Knobby Christmas 20 hr The Duke of Hazard 2
Despite this Hannity Insanity: 20 hr The Duke of Hazard 8
Xenia Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Xenia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Xenia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Xenia

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:56 am PST

ESPN10:56AM
Pettine: Manziel will get chance to compete
NBC Sports11:18 AM
Rookie Shaw excited about chance to start for Browns - NBC Sports
NFL11:45 AM
Injury roundup: A.J. Green misses Bengals practice
NBC Sports 1:46 PM
Mike Pettine: Our first-round picks aren't busts
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?