Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 20 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31942 Sep 4, 2014
Step 3

Bring in union members from outside the district to agitate and threaten. make it seem like everything is unraveling.

About 500 people, mostly teachers, attended last night’s school-board meeting to protest the board’s initial contract proposal, which includes eliminating teachers’ scheduled raises and their health-care plan.

Teachers’ union members from Columbus, Dayton, Bexley, Gahanna-Jefferson, Groveport Madison, Licking Heights, South-Western, Westerville and Whitehall also showed up, as did a representative from the Ohio Education Association.

“If there is ever a time to help make a stand, this is it,” said Alisha Wilson, president of the Whitehall Education Association.

Wilson said she’s never taken a political stand in her seven years as union president. She attended the meeting with nine other Whitehall teachers — all of them wearing their union T-shirts.

What happens in Reynoldsburg has the potential to cause a ripple effect in other districts, Reynoldsburg board member Joe Begeny said.

“No one has done a merit-pay system like what is being proposed,” he said.“Reynoldsburg has always been a district everyone can look to lead the way.”

Under the school board’s proposal, which The Dispatch received through a public-records request, teachers would receive pay increases based entirely on their ratings in the state’s new evaluation system.

They also would be eligible for bonuses, including one of $30,000, if their schools performed well on state report cards and they performed work beyond their classroom duties.

Rather than provide health-insurance coverage, the district would give teachers cash to purchase their own insurance.

Reynoldsburg educators, parents, students and community members gathered at a rally prior to the board meeting. Then, they burst into chants as they made their way to the performing-arts center at Reynoldsburg High School’s Summit campus.

For 90 minutes, they raised concerns about the board’s contract proposal and its impact on teacher morale and student learning. They noted that teachers have already made many concessions, including taking on larger classes and sacrificing raises.

High-school teacher Gina Daniels talked about her decision to leave the district for a job in Licking Heights.

That was partially to teach in a district where she lives, she said. But part of it is due to the contract proposal.

“My decision came about by one district continuing to make decisions that I don’t think are best for students and another district who promises the potential to allow me to focus on helping kids,” said Daniels, who was the spokeswoman for the Reynoldsburg Education Association.

Since last August, 50 teachers have resigned from the district, according to the district. Only 28 teachers resigned during the same time period last year.

But contract negotiations are not the only reason why teachers are leaving, officials said.

Some are leaving because their spouse has been relocated or they were offered a job closer to home. Some have resigned because they weren’t a good fit in the district, district spokeswoman Tricia Moore said.

But several speakers at last night’s meeting spoke out against merit pay, including 12-year-old Abi Swift.

“Is it fair to the teachers to have their pay dependent on our scores?” asked Swift, who will be a seventh-grader at Waggoner Road Junior High this fall.“Is it fair to the students to feel that kind of pressure?”

Since contract talks started in May, teachers have gathered outside of the administrative offices and rallied with community members to voice their disappointment in the school board.

Last month, the Reynoldsburg Education Association filed an unfair-labor-practice charge against the board for posting details of bargaining proposals on its Website.

Both sides last met with a federal mediator on June 30. Talks are scheduled to resume in August.

The teachers’ contract expires at the end of this month.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31943 Sep 4, 2014
Step 4

Bring forward children to speak in the union's behalf beseeching the school board to not let their teachers strike. The authorize the union to strike.

Teachers in the Reynoldsburg City School District have authorized their union to issue a 10-day strike notice to administrators.

The authorization was given to the Reynoldsburg Education Association Friday night.

Administrators and union representatives have not come to a contract agreement after several months of negotiations and mediation sessions.

Teachers are scheduled to report to work on August 11 and students are scheduled to return to school on August 13.

The 10-day strike notice can be filed with the state at any time.
lack of accountability

Springboro, OH

#31944 Sep 4, 2014
Why do Springboro's students annually earn such good grades?
Is it because Boro students are extremely good test-takers? No.
Is it because Springboro parents are superior to other parents outside the district? No, not really.
Is it because Springboro's teachers are superior to teachers outside the district? No.

The reason Springboro students have exceptionally high average grades is because teachers are allowed to take lots of extra credit & homework credit and merge them with test score averages, which in many cases, is quite low.

To make matters worse, certian teachers around the district have resurrected an awful tradition of bribing students to bring in kleenex/ hand soap to class in exchange for extra credit points. These educators claim to be role models?
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31945 Sep 4, 2014
Step 5

Don't budge on anything for the union membership. Keep saying its all about educating the children then complain you have hard children to teach. Tell everyone the good teachers are leaving in droves, our teachers are the best. We want to be treated FAIR.

Any of this sound familiar? I wonder what the definition of FAIR is in Reynoldsburg.

During last week’s two-day negotiating session with a federal mediator, district administrators scaled back their goal for teacher compensation reform – at least for now.

Their latest salary proposal, as described on the district’s website, appears to be a hybrid of the current structure and what was originally proposed. It preserves the current salary schedule but provides smaller step raises, with additional increases based on performance starting in year two. It doubles bonuses based on school performance, but scales back the maximum fellowship award to just $4,000.

It also calls for re-opening negotiations on salary only prior to year three of the contract,“allowing more time to develop a feasible and attractive plan for moving forward.”

The Reynoldsburg Education Association, the teachers’ bargaining unit, has rejected this latest proposal.

“The REA supports a cap on class size and a fair compensation package that will help Reynoldsburg attract and retain excellent teachers,” the union said in a press release issued Friday night.

Kathy Evans, spokesperson for the REA, said in a phone interview Monday that the union does not believe a merit pay system will serve to attract and retain good teachers, as the district claims it would.

She says in addition to the pay issue, teachers are concerned that class sizes in recent years have grown excessively large.

Reynoldsburg City Schools has not returned phone calls or emails seeking comment. It says on its web site that it is preparing in the event that teachers strike.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31946 Sep 4, 2014
If the stories out of Reynoldsburg look familiar, they ought to because we just read them in Mason.
Before that we read them in Fairborn, and last year we read them here in Springboro.

Same playbook, just change the names and go.

Nobody wishes to see any degree of accountability for the results of their efforts.

Nobody wishes to see any change to the gold plated health programs the union supports.( Who would, it was not my idea to raise my insurance costs 15-20% per year and accept a $2500 deductible to keep the premium raises in that range, but it is the reality of Obamacare )

Nobody wants to have to work harder.

I get all of the above, but only in a monopolistic, union driven environment is this considered normal and sacrosanct.

Everyday the rest of the world competes to stay ahead of the curve, because if they don't someone else will take their place.

Merit pay rewards those top performers and punishes those low perfumers.

Who do you want teaching your children, the teachers that generate good results or the teachers who generate much less than those results?

While everyone may be equally qualified, some are more equally qualified than others.

Reward them.
Parents Alert

Springboro, OH

#31947 Sep 5, 2014
Bring Them Home!

Home schooling thriving.....

tp://wishtv.com/2014/09/02/hom e-schooling-thiving-in-entrali ndiana/
Narcs

Springboro, OH

#31948 Sep 5, 2014
ALL ABOUT THE FREE MARKET wrote:
<quoted text>
As was the current SEA contract. Good point.
Ask them, I bet all three regret it.
All Supers are trained to be emotional thinkers and to believe their district is their kingdom.
Narcissist
Narcs

Springboro, OH

#31949 Sep 5, 2014
ACCOUNTABILITY wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you ask the board members that interviewed and approved him 2 years ago??? Maybe it's a good thing that majority is no longer the majority. Sounds like you had a severe disagreement with their decision.
The biggest problem is that there no good choices. I know because I was on the board at one time and I witnessed all of the really bad candidates, so, we hired someone we knew, it was less than we wanted but the candidate pool was just a dry old mud puddle. I hear Mr. Lolli is making a really bad HS Principal also.
Bobble

Springboro, OH

#31950 Sep 5, 2014
ACCOUNTABILITY wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you ask the board members that interviewed and approved him 2 years ago??? Maybe it's a good thing that majority is no longer the majority. Sounds like you had a severe disagreement with their decision.
A super is only as good as the boa that directs him or her. So if Petrey has gone lefty loosie that is because his board allows it. The past board kept him under control now he controls the board and they are bobble heads. He makes them look really stupid. Ever notice they never say anything, at least nothing of value. Stuckey It is Stipend not stipnd.

Yippee you elected a bunch of bobble heads great goin.
Bobble

Springboro, OH

#31951 Sep 5, 2014
Parents Alert wrote:
Bring Them Home!
I need this address again, this doesn't work
worship

Springboro, OH

#31952 Sep 5, 2014
ACCOUNTABILITY wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear one of them pulled her son out of this system- what does that tell you? If she trusted him or this system she would leave her kids in.

lets get a survey of the teachers and all other staff and lets see how many either home school or send their kids to a private school. I know of many that did not have their precious kids in this public failing jail where money is worshiped and kids are inconvenient.
pray

Springboro, OH

#31953 Sep 5, 2014
ALL HAIL CAPITALISM wrote:
<quoted text>
4) The free market is ALL about MONEY and POWER. Capitalism at it's finest!! Survival of the RICHEST!!!!
The difference between Capitalism and communism is that now all the communists are rich and they got that way not by earning it but by steeling in from those that work.

Capitalism motivates people communism degrades them. Is this what you want? Must be. Our schools promote communism because the laxiest get all the money and the workers suffer. See teachers get ginormous raises while the people that work all year around suffer - yup that is your version of "survival of the richest". Your words mean you are jealous, mine mean I support fairness. Earning what you have is liberty, taking what you have is theft.
pray

Springboro, OH

#31954 Sep 5, 2014
lack of accountability wrote:
Why do Springboro's students annually earn such good grades?
Is it because Boro students are extremely good test-takers? No.
Is it because Springboro parents are superior to other parents outside the district? No, not really.
Is it because Springboro's teachers are superior to teachers outside the district? No.
The reason Springboro students have exceptionally high average grades is because teachers are allowed to take lots of extra credit & homework credit and merge them with test score averages, which in many cases, is quite low.
To make matters worse, certian teachers around the district have resurrected an awful tradition of bribing students to bring in kleenex/ hand soap to class in exchange for extra credit points. These educators claim to be role models?
OMG this is so true. I told my son that if the teachers needed to squeeze a little more out of us they needed to go to the principal and ask for less raises and more school supplies. Our home is barely scraping by so NO you can not bribe my son into bringing our household supplies so you can have health care paid by me , vision paid for by me, dental care paid for by me, life insc. paid for by me, raises paid for by me. school fees paid for by me, extra curricular paid for by me, the building paid for by me ......... and bribe my kid for more. Son of a gun stop the pillaging and legal plunder. Se this is what you get with this new board lol.
Parents Alert

Springboro, OH

#31955 Sep 5, 2014
Parents Alert wrote:
Bring Them Home!
http://wishtv.com/2014/09/02/home-schooling-t...

Bring Them Home and allow them the luxury of an individual box of tissues to blow their little noses so that they don't have to share collective "three bags full" with the union classroom teachers who all are educated to a Masters of Solidarity degree.
ALL ABOUT THE FREE MARKET

Morrow, OH

#31956 Sep 7, 2014
pray wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference between Capitalism and communism is that now all the communists are rich and they got that way not by earning it but by steeling in from those that work.
Capitalism motivates people communism degrades them. Is this what you want? Must be. Our schools promote communism because the laxiest get all the money and the workers suffer. See teachers get ginormous raises while the people that work all year around suffer - yup that is your version of "survival of the richest". Your words mean you are jealous, mine mean I support fairness. Earning what you have is liberty, taking what you have is theft.
Do you know how many people are rich off of the stock market. How "lax" are you when you just sit around watching money made? How "lax" are the CEO's making millions off of the workers making sub-par wages? Exactly how much money does Hilton and Kardashian "earn? For that matter, how much do politicians who take money from contributions? What about the money exchanged between politicians and lobbyists? Your version of Earning is much different than most.
ALL ABOUT THE FREE MARKET

Morrow, OH

#31957 Sep 7, 2014
Bobble wrote:
<quoted text>
I need this address again, this doesn't work
Hopefully the person who originally posted the non-working link isn't home schooling their kids. Kind of proves the point against home schooling doesn't it??
Pay It Foward

Springboro, OH

#31958 Sep 7, 2014
pray wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG this is so true. I told my son that if the teachers needed to squeeze a little more out of us they needed to go to the principal and ask for less raises and more school supplies. Our home is barely scraping by so NO you can not bribe my son into bringing our household supplies so you can have health care paid by me , vision paid for by me, dental care paid for by me, life insc. paid for by me, raises paid for by me. school fees paid for by me, extra curricular paid for by me, the building paid for by me ......... and bribe my kid for more. Son of a gun stop the pillaging and legal plunder. Se this is what you get with this new board lol.
What's up with those Springboro school building principals pushing union solidarity of benefiting from families shopping at their chosen unionized food store, running advertisements for pizza businesses, advertising to parents that non-nutritional "snack foods" are now available for kids to purchase ...If they don't like the high priced government required nutritional lunch menu...
and now, did you notice, that even the "least of these" in the kindergarten are being pinched for pennies to bring from home to enter in competition who can give the most pennies.....?

Is there nothing that can "quench these principals' fund raising thirst?" What's up with all
this value put on which child can contribute most to the fun of highly paid school principals'
obsession of investing their time pressuring students to focus on fund raising?

And what's the deal about pushing students to "Pay It Forward" with random acts of
cleanliness for stocking the Buildings' supply of hand sanitizers? Shouldn't there be an "Anonymous" one in these classrooms with a union classroom teachers to make
sure that these large supplies of hand sanitizers are stored in a locked cabinet......
for the kids' safety?
truth to power

Springboro, OH

#31959 Sep 7, 2014
Pay It Foward wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you notice, that even the "least of these" in the kindergarten are being pinched for pennies to bring from home to enter in competition who can give the most pennies.....?
Is there nothing that can "quench these principals' fund raising thirst?"
This is Robin Hoodism in reverse. It's all about taking advantage of the innocence of 5 year olds. It's about intentially indoctrinating 5 year olds in making them believe it's perfectly OK to shift capital from their middle class families toward their school district, which is currently being dominated by greedy, self-serving interests of the SEA.
Just Asking

Springboro, OH

#31960 Sep 7, 2014
truth to power wrote:
<quoted text>
This is Robin Hoodism in reverse. It's all about taking advantage of the innocence of 5 year olds. It's about intentially indoctrinating 5 year olds in making them believe it's perfectly OK to shift capital from their middle class families toward their school district, which is currently being dominated by greedy, self-serving interests of the SEA.
And ..........Isn't This What SEA Narcissism looks like........?
Excessive admiration of ones "wonderful" self?
SPECIAL

Cleveland, OH

#31961 Sep 8, 2014
Now that we are getting RID of PICKETT, what can we all do to get rid of WADE?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
This is your oasis (Jun '08) 2 hr Dork of Hazard 3,171
Is the "CROSS" mightier than the "COLT"? 3 hr Gun Nut 1
How many Christian villains? 4 hr Leon Harrison 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Enya 19,891
Oakwood Swimmer Brock Turner 7 hr Tantor 1
"The unmentioned pachyderm in the room" 23 hr Leon Harrison 2
News OUR Walmart Demands Chain Pay $15/Hr., While UF... Sun rapunzel 5
More from around the web

Xenia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]