Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,265

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31772 Jul 19, 2014
Ms. Stritenberger is a fine woman who means well and has the wherewithal to lead. She is not afraid to stand against the storm if she feels strongly about an issue. I myself have witnessed such determination on more than one occasion where she alone stood against a roomful of educators by asking the tough questions rather than the simplistic versions everyone else in the room seem perfectly happy to accept. I have seen her challenge assumptions by board members and defend her position with facts rather than emotion.

I fear Ms. Stritenberger is being buffeted by forces beyond her control and pay grade that are forcing us into an educational miasma they little understand nor wish to contemplate.

The first year test with Pearson's has not produced the results the district had hoped to see, yet their is immense pressure on Ms Stritenberger to go forth with a program that has produced negative results. I fail to see the rush to accept this program of studies when the full import of our first year of testing is less than incomplete.

Why do we not wait until the state releases the full test scoring results so that we may have time to digest their significance? What is the school administration afraid of discovering in those results? The results are public records and as such should be readily available for public perusal and discussion.

Let Ms. Stritenberger you know how difficult her job is, but also let her know that these are our children whose lives will be impacted by any rash rush to decisions.

Can we really afford to waste another year of our children's educations on an unproven fad just because it has the word technology linked to its program?
Boro parent

Springboro, OH

#31773 Jul 19, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
Ms. Stritenberger is a fine woman who means well and has the wherewithal to lead. She is not afraid to stand against the storm if she feels strongly about an issue. I myself have witnessed such determination on more than one occasion where she alone stood against a roomful of educators by asking the tough questions rather than the simplistic versions everyone else in the room seem perfectly happy to accept. I have seen her challenge assumptions by board members and defend her position with facts rather than emotion.
I fear Ms. Stritenberger is being buffeted by forces beyond her control and pay grade that are forcing us into an educational miasma they little understand nor wish to contemplate.
The first year test with Pearson's has not produced the results the district had hoped to see, yet their is immense pressure on Ms Stritenberger to go forth with a program that has produced negative results. I fail to see the rush to accept this program of studies when the full import of our first year of testing is less than incomplete.
Why do we not wait until the state releases the full test scoring results so that we may have time to digest their significance? What is the school administration afraid of discovering in those results? The results are public records and as such should be readily available for public perusal and discussion.
Let Ms. Stritenberger you know how difficult her job is, but also let her know that these are our children whose lives will be impacted by any rash rush to decisions.
Can we really afford to waste another year of our children's educations on an unproven fad just because it has the word technology linked to its program?
Both my spouse and I have a lot of respect for Tammy. We've known her since she was principal of Five Points East. You're correct in that Tammy consistently backs up her positions with facts, rather than drama or emotion. Primarily for this reason, we as a community will very likely never see Tammy Stritenberger promoted to the position of Springboro superintendent.
Waste Watchers

Springboro, OH

#31774 Jul 19, 2014
Is Tammy Strittenberger getting an $8000 raise?

Can we really afford the cost of $8000 Approval to Create Administrative Supplemental?

Check out the July 22, 2014, Springboro School Board of Education Meeting agenda on the school website for public record of
Superintendent's Report: Subject 4.4
Recommended Request: Approval to create Administrative Supplemental of Testing Coordinator at $8000

Why is Mr. Petrey investing more money in Curriculum Development?
How many staff members are on Tammy Strittenberger's curriculum team already; and why is it necessary to create another $8000 waste of taxpayers' money?
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31775 Jul 20, 2014
Waste Watchers wrote:
Is Tammy Strittenberger getting an $8000 raise?
Can we really afford the cost of $8000 Approval to Create Administrative Supplemental?
Check out the July 22, 2014, Springboro School Board of Education Meeting agenda on the school website for public record of
Superintendent's Report: Subject 4.4
Recommended Request: Approval to create Administrative Supplemental of Testing Coordinator at $8000
Why is Mr. Petrey investing more money in Curriculum Development?
How many staff members are on Tammy Strittenberger's curriculum team already; and why is it necessary to create another $8000 waste of taxpayers' money?
Does anyone remember the days of yore when the union and its supporters were telling us vociferously that spending $15,000 to investigate the benefits a charter school might bring to Springboro's children was not possible because we simply did not have $15,000 to waste?

It now appears money is no object as we pay create new and exciting ways in which to funnel more money to the union.

I might suggest instead of wasting money on one person to be the "Testing Coordinator", we simply have our teachers teach the material that exists in our text books already.

Is there anything on these basic state tests that cannot be found in out text books?
Stay Alert Voters

Springboro, OH

#31776 Jul 20, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone remember the days of yore when the union and its supporters were telling us vociferously that spending $15,000 to investigate the benefits a charter school might bring to Springboro's children was not possible because we simply did not have $15,000 to waste?
It now appears money is no object as we pay create new and exciting ways in which to funnel more money to the union.
I might suggest instead of wasting money on one person to be the "Testing Coordinator", we simply have our teachers teach the material that exists in our text books already.
Is there anything on these basic state tests that cannot be found in out text books?
We all remember the community wide Engagement of the SEA /SURE activists' campaign of FEAR (false evidence appearing real) as they joined forces against Springboro families' freedom of choice to pursue differing beliefs in the Values of Education for all our children;
creating a false "budget" crisis if the freedom of considering Options was explored; throwing a childish emotional tantrum of Boro prideful manipulation in the board room; testifying that this $15,000 "Waste of Money" would endanger the good work of the Springboro Community Assistance program which is feeding all the Needy ones in our "Wealthy" community.
Our school superintendent is fond of telling his staff and pro-levy activists that We are a "wealthy" community; and all that need to be done by the pro-levy activists is to get out there in the Boro and tell of the wondrous works of our professional educators; and the levies will take care of themselves. But, when it comes to "investing" the tax dollars of Springboro Stakeholders in a study of possible educational opportunities to "raise the bar" of higher potential for individual students; he collectively supports putting the Re-Emphasis on the union first best interests versus our children first. This is what Union First Soldarity against our Children First looks like..... and that is what our school superintendent Now stands for, after just six months under the leadership of our union controlled board majority members.

"The final group, which was a major integral part in SEA's organizing efforts, was the parents. In the past, there have been several groups that have organized themselves in an effort to have a positive impact with the school board and the administration. Many of these groups centered around one of the many levy efforts and quickly lost steam, as levy after levy failed. However, in January a small group of parents met out of their growing concern for what appeared to be a political agenda of the current board. Efforts to begin a charter school in the district, arm teachers with concealed weapons, add creationism to the curriculum and teach the constitution from a religious perspective bothered the parents. Not to mention the fact that the board had been speaking about a strike by its teachers at least 12 months prior to the start of negotiations. The parents call themselves SURE, Springboro United for Responsible Education...... SURE attended Board meetings and challenged the Board members.....
from website article http://www.ohea.org/this-is-what-solidarity-l...
Stay Alert Voters

Springboro, OH

#31777 Jul 20, 2014
Boro parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Both my spouse and I have a lot of respect for Tammy. We've known her since she was principal of Five Points East. You're correct in that Tammy consistently backs up her positions with facts, rather than drama or emotion. Primarily for this reason, we as a community will very likely never see Tammy Stritenberger promoted to the position of Springboro superintendent.
Inquiring Minds still question WHY former school principals Tammy Strittenberger and Todd Petrey,(who were well known throughout the school district as being firmly embedded in the OSBA indoctrination that the school superintendent TOLD the board members what to do
for the Union's sake; NOT for the sake of kids first) were hired back into the school district.
Could it be that there are no school administrators out there that are not in the pockets of the forced unionizations politics of the State of Ohio (in which only union controlled government leaders can thrive in their professional careers in politics and education?)

Looking back (which Todd Petrey admonishes and ridicules Springboro stakeholders NOT to do) it is now clearly revealed that from the "beginning" it was Todd Petrey's VISION for our children's future to put the Re-emphasis on the Educators even to the detriment of our Children First Budgeting Vision of Reform's winning agenda of doing what's right for our school children and community.

Inquiring minds still question WHY, under the leadership of our former 2013 school board president and vicepresident, that Tammy Strittenberger submitted her resignation as Curriculum director; but after the two retired educators Ron Malone and David Stuckey and former board member Charles Anderson were elected and took office in January 2014, THEN Ms. Strittenberger's 2013 resignation was Reversed. WHY the flip-flop?

We all know that "birds of a feather flock together" and Springboro stakeholders were not blind to the joyous Reunion Hugs exchanged between Tammy Strittenberger and our former
union-controlled school superintendent, David Baker, as was displayed in the SHS auditorium public board meeting during which Anderson, Malone, and Stuckey were sworn into elected office.

We all are reminded that observation of the actions of our Springboro School Employees are not criticisms of Persons, but it is OUR business to hold our Board of Education Elected Officials Accountability for the performance of our school employees, ensuring Taxpayers that when Union interests conflict with Children First interests, the Majority Vote should be for Kids First.
Stop The Insanity

Springboro, OH

#31778 Jul 20, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
People in the community should take another look at the July 22, 2014 Board of Education Meeting Agenda, and don't forget to read the fine print of the File Attachments of Subject 5.9 Approval of Personnel Items in the Director of Human Resources Report.
(Please note that Lee Vincent usually presents request for approval without reading all the listings at the public board meeting; but check it out on the school website and you will see a list of 69 recommended employment requests). But WHY these supplementals of $8000 paid to our already highly paid school administrators, Tammy Strittenberger, Lee Vincent, and John Pennell?

In addition to the $8000 cost of approval to employ Administrative Supplemental for Tammy Strittenberger in the position of District-CCIP Coordinator, please note these additional requests for approval to employ administrative supplementals of $8000 to Lee Vincent-District Work Study Coordinator and $8000 Administrative Supplemental for John Pennell's position as District Testing Coordinator! Excuse ME! Are the Salaries of these already highly paid school administrators available to the public? And isn't John Pennell's salary as Business Manager $100,000 plus some; and now Mr. Petrey is offering an additional $8000 to the business manager in the position of district testing coordinator? What does the business manager John Pennell know about "district testing."
Waste

Toledo, OH

#31779 Jul 21, 2014
I've heard they may have to hire someone part time to keep up with public records requests. Seems like a waste to me.
Here we go again

Toledo, OH

#31780 Jul 21, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Last time a checked, Ms. Stritenberger is not a union member.....nice try!
Let Freedom Ring

Springboro, OH

#31781 Jul 21, 2014
Waste wrote:
I've heard they may have to hire someone part time to keep up with public records requests. Seems like a waste to me.
No Waste at all for Taxpayers to Invest our most valuable Resource - Our Precious Time- in the process of helping inform our Community residents of the responsibility of all to hold our government's elected officials Accountable to the Taxpayers. Without this process of an informed community, there will be no good government leaders upholding and protecting our Great American Freedoms and our Constitutional Rights to freely exercise our Freedoms.
Never Forget -- What You Don't Use.... You May Lose.

May God Bless America.... Land That I Love!
There You Go Again

Springboro, OH

#31782 Jul 21, 2014
Here we go again wrote:
<quoted text>Last time a checked, Ms. Stritenberger is not a union member.....nice try!
Last time I checked, Ms. Strittenberger is STILL owned by the Springboro Education Association Members, and proudly wears the pro-union label of MoreRon status quo, putting the re-emphasis on the Professional Educators (which for SURE includes Ms. Strittenberger)
protesting against our children first!

Where were you, just a year or so ago, when a pro-levy coalition of union activists descended upon the Board room demanding that the board just go ahead, right now, and guarantee renewal of all the administrators contract, so that we don't risk "losing" these wonderful ONES to school districts luring them out of our children's classrooms, waving signs of Big Dollars ....... if they come?

It's True that Ms. Strittenberger is not a union member; but did you know that the more dollars that the Springboro Education Association can strong arm out of Springboro families, that the higher percentage of increases/compensation/benefit s packages are also awarded to the school administrators, and last time I checked, that included Ms. Strittenberger....
AND Lee Vincent AND John Pennell AND on and on and...... well, here we go again!.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31783 Jul 21, 2014
Here we go again wrote:
<quoted text>Last time a checked, Ms. Stritenberger is not a union member.....nice try!
But she supports them and their agenda in much the same way Mr. Malone managed to curry their favor.
Excuse Me

Lebanon, OH

#31784 Jul 22, 2014
Waste wrote:
Yes, we certainly would not want the public to be informed on any issues that may arise. I wonder how many they get a day, a week, a month, during the course of a year?
Let Freedom Ring

Springboro, OH

#31785 Jul 22, 2014
Today's news reports that Springboro Parents: Kelly Kohls; Sonny Thomas; will be speaking at the July 22 Board of Education meeting scheduled at 7:00 p.m. in the Springboro Junior High School Library, exercising our great Constitutional rights of freedom of speech!
And that's a good thing, thanks to the Godly Wisdom of our Great Founding Fathers of this Great Nation!

Perhaps you remember a few months ago that our school superintendent took action by consulting legal authorities in efforts to
prevent this freedom of speech at the board room podium, without prior screening of the citizen's identity and intent being scrutinized in the FEAR (false evidence appearing real) of our "kids safety."

This "policy revision" restricting free speech in the board room did not take place, thanks to the expertise of Board policy matters and wise leadership skills of ONE voice of ONE of our elected BOE representatives, Jim Rigano. And that is what a Role Model of Good Citizenship looks like!

People in this community should email board member Jim Rigano and let him know how much his public service to our schools and community, upholding the U.S. Constitution, is Appreciated!
Waste Watchers

Springboro, OH

#31786 Jul 22, 2014
Let Freedom Ring wrote:
Today's news reports that Springboro Parents: Kelly Kohls; Sonny Thomas; will be speaking at the July 22 Board of Education meeting scheduled at 7:00 p.m. in the Springboro Junior High School Library, exercising our great Constitutional rights of freedom of speech!
And that's a good thing, thanks to the Godly Wisdom of our Great Founding Fathers of this Great Nation!
Perhaps you remember a few months ago that our school superintendent took action by consulting legal authorities in efforts to
prevent this freedom of speech at the board room podium, without prior screening of the citizen's identity and intent being scrutinized in the FEAR (false evidence appearing real) of our "kids safety."
This "policy revision" restricting free speech in the board room did not take place, thanks to the expertise of Board policy matters and wise leadership skills of ONE voice of ONE of our elected BOE representatives, Jim Rigano. And that is what a Role Model of Good Citizenship looks like!
People in this community should email board member Jim Rigano and let him know how much his public service to our schools and community, upholding the U.S. Constitution, is Appreciated!
What a Waste of Free Speech Rights IF this post is deleted. Keep Watching.....

Our school superintendent is often heard telling Springboro Taxpayers that our educators are our school districts most valuable resource; but I would argue that our Freedoms protected by our Constitutional Rights are the most Valuable, not only in Springboro, but "from California to the New York Island!" People just want to be FREE of enslavement to the government "entitlements" in their own pursuit of happiness!

The way I see it, our Springboro Education Association is WRONG to protest against our
Springboro Families differing values in education; school choice, and right to work freedom
in our chosen careers (without the heavy Taxation of Dues paid to the Union).
Insanely Hypocritical

Springboro, OH

#31787 Jul 22, 2014
Waste wrote:
"Waste" seems insanely hypocritical to me.

Perhaps "Waste" has not considered that private citizens would not have to spend so much of their costly time and attention requesting these public records IF these important school district issues were being handled in the same open and transparent manner as the Board Committee Members done during the past two years, under the leadership of our former 2013 schoolboardpresident and vicepresident's good leadership.

In just six months under the leadership of our current board leadership (Charles Anderson and Ron Malone) our school superintendent has dismantled our Board budget/finance and Board policy committees; thrown out our elected officials as Chair persons of these important committees, appointed his own preferred Springboro parents as members of the district committees; and stopped direct communication between the BOE elected officials and the Springboro taxpayers.
six geese a laying

Springboro, OH

#31788 Jul 23, 2014
Stop The Insanity wrote:
<quoted text>
People in the community should take another look at the July 22, 2014 Board of Education Meeting Agenda, and don't forget to read the fine print of the File Attachments of Subject 5.9 Approval of Personnel Items in the Director of Human Resources Report.
(Please note that Lee Vincent usually presents request for approval without reading all the listings at the public board meeting; but check it out on the school website and you will see a list of 69 recommended employment requests). But WHY these supplementals of $8000 paid to our already highly paid school administrators, Tammy Strittenberger, Lee Vincent, and John Pennell?
In addition to the $8000 cost of approval to employ Administrative Supplemental for Tammy Strittenberger in the position of District-CCIP Coordinator, please note these additional requests for approval to employ administrative supplementals of $8000 to Lee Vincent-District Work Study Coordinator and $8000 Administrative Supplemental for John Pennell's position as District Testing Coordinator! Excuse ME! Are the Salaries of these already highly paid school administrators available to the public? And isn't John Pennell's salary as Business Manager $100,000 plus some; and now Mr. Petrey is offering an additional $8000 to the business manager in the position of district testing coordinator? What does the business manager John Pennell know about "district testing."
$8000 wasted here....$8000 wasted there....
Keep this up, and sooner rather than later the general fund will be in a complete shambles. Then again, of course, this is part of the majority's overall strategy. Create lots of perceived needs, then fill these needs with taxpayer's dollars. What's this all about? No secret here! Anyone with half a brain already knows! It's all about pushing new millage onto the ballot LONG before it's needed.
Just One Voice

Springboro, OH

#31789 Jul 23, 2014
Stay Alert Voters!..... so that we do not get caught up in the emotional manipulation of our Springboro Education Association's clever strategy for SURE taking over our Constitutional Rights of Private Citizens to present our concerns (and argue our grievances) to our union controlled Board of Education elected officials, Charles Anderson, Ron Malone and David Stuckey.

You can go to the school websites at www.springboro.org and click on the Board of Education heading, then click on the Board meetings agenda and meetings listing, and pull up the meeting agenda of the July 22, 2014, public school board meeting.

Please Note that there is no Subject Item on the agenda of Todd Petrey's presentation last night of the discussion regarding the $5 million energy contract recently awarded to Tremco; whose employee is Springboro Parent and Private Citizen, Todd Smith, who was appointed by Todd Petrey to the District Budget/Finance Committee. Point of interest is that Todd Petrey said that he would not answer email questions, but he would meet privately with anyone who had questions. Still, Todd Petrey presented another dialogue defending the superintendent's right to indebt Springboro Taxpayers this $5 million contract, and because Todd Smith is NOT an elected official, there is NO WAY that "we the people" can hold him accountable, nor ask him direct questions.

Todd Petrey did acknowledge that this $5 million does NOT belong to the Board Members, Nor does this $5 million belong to the school district employees; The money belongs to the Community Taxpayers, BUT, because Todd Petrey (a school employee) took control of the Board Budget/Finance Committee, ONLY the Voice of ONE private citizen (Todd Smith) was represented in this wasteful spending of ALL taxpayers hard earned money. It does appear that Todd Petrey's "self appointed" District committee members is for S-U-R-E, "self serving"
based on ONE future of Union Solidarity for all, AGAINST respect for differing Beliefs and Values in Education. And that is insanely disrespectful to taxpayers (who no doubt will be asked to clean up this WASTE by covering it all up with layers and layers of GREEN dollars right out of our household budget into Terrah Floyd's OSBA financial consultants bank account, at the rate of $1000 per month (or another $12,000 per year) courtesy of our newly employed full time Treasurer. Springboro taxpayers do not know WHO this OSBA
hired third party might be who is consulting our Treasurer on how to propose our multi-million dollar five year budget forecast; guess we're just supposed to shut up and trust the educators to stupidly waste our school tax dollars and then Vote yes for unnecessary school levies the First time our union controlled Board president, Charles Anderson, asks for More, More,More.....

It is understood that this is another example of ways that important school district issues of Policy and Budget/Finance, which affects ALL Springboro stakeholders are not being conducted in the same manner of Transparency (to the public) as they were done during the two years that our elected officials, Jim Rigano and David Petroni, chaired these important BOARD committees. Springboro taxpayers are not being listened to, nor our needs being considered, by our Board of Education elected officials leadership, Charles Anderson and Ron Malone. And that is insanely disrespectful.
the buddy system

Springboro, OH

#31791 Jul 23, 2014
Just One Voice wrote:
Please Note that there is no Subject Item on the agenda of Todd Petrey's presentation last night of the discussion regarding the $5 million energy contract recently awarded to Tremco; whose employee is Springboro Parent and Private Citizen, Todd Smith, who was appointed by Todd Petrey to the District Budget/Finance Committee. Point of interest is that Todd Petrey said that he would not answer email questions, but he would meet privately with anyone who had questions. Still, Todd Petrey presented another dialogue defending the superintendent's right to indebt Springboro Taxpayers this $5 million contract, and because Todd Smith is NOT an elected official, there is NO WAY that "we the people" can hold him accountable, nor ask him direct questions.
That's a pile of horse####!
Yes, it's true Todd Smith is not an elected official.
However, Smith became accountable to each and every taxpayer of Springboro Community City School District THE INSTANT Todd Petrey appointed him to the district's budget committee!
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31792 Jul 23, 2014
Where to begin from last night's July 22 board meeting.

Mr. Malone saying text books don't teach, they don't matter, teachers can teach whatever they want.

Never has the wise old man spoke a more true statement.

Now we couple Mr. Malone's assessment of teachers with Mr. Petrey's claim that 97% of the kids in the 6th grade passed reading on the latest OAA test.

What Mr. Petrey neglected to mention was that a child needed to be able to answer only 44% of the test correctly to pass according to our stringent state requirements.

That is right, a child only needs to score 44% on a basic state test to "pass".

44% on a reading test will not even allow the child to fill our an unemployment form in the future.

Who is responsible for this educational miasma?

According to Mr. Malone, teachers teaching whatever they wish.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who NOT to date in Dayton, Ohio the females and... 1 hr Elizabeth Harrison 2
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 3 hr Jerry K Cosmetics 30,971
Looking for Prentice Richardson (Aka Buddy) (Apr '12) 11 hr hitchiker 7
Charter school complaints prompt wider probe 15 hr Fan of Leon The Man 1
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 16 hr WARRIOR 19,207
This is your lucky Monday! 22 hr Fan of Leon The Man 2
Community Keeps Calm Despite Questions About Wa... 22 hr Fan of Leon The Man 1
•••
•••

Xenia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Xenia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE