Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,274

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
TWO WAY STREET

Maineville, OH

#31647 Jul 8, 2014
Let Freedom Ring wrote:
<quoted text>
Lazy, Crazy, Hazy Days of Summer pass quickly by and these are great times for families to live, work, play, pray AND read together! A great new book worthy of the investment of our time is written by Ben Carson, MD, with Candy Carson. ONE NATION shares concerns about the United States finances, the government's problem-solving skills, the restriction of the First Amendment, the attempts to take God out of the system, and the current state of chaos between parties.
If you think your religious liberty/First Amendment rights has been violated, answer the following questions:

My religious liberty is at risk because:

A) I am not allowed to purchase, read or possess religious books or material.
B) Others are allowed to have access books, movies and websites that I do not like.

A) My religious group is not allowed equal protection under the establishment clause.
B) My religious group is not allowed to use public funds, buildings and resources as we would like, for whatever purposes we might like.

A) Another religious group has been declared the official faith of my country.
B) My own religious group is not given status as the official faith of my country.

A) I am not allowed to teach my children the creation stories of our faith at home.
B) Public school science classes are teaching science.

If you answered "A" to any question, then perhaps your religious liberty is indeed at stake. You and your faith group have every right to now advocate for equal protection under the law. But just remember this one little, constitutional, concept: this means you can fight for your equality -- not your superiority.

If you answered "B" to any question, then not only is your religious liberty not at stake, but there is a strong chance that you are oppressing the religious liberties of others. This is the point where I would invite you to refer back to the tenets of your faith, especially the ones about your neighbors.

In closing, no matter what soundbites you hear this election year, remember this: Religious liberty is never secured by a campaign of religious superiority. The only way to ensure your own religious liberty remains strong is by advocating for the religious liberty of all, including those with whom you may passionately disagree. Because they deserve the same rights as you. Nothing more. Nothing less.
please see a doctor

Springboro, OH

#31648 Jul 8, 2014
TWO WAY STREET wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think your religious liberty/First Amendment rights has been violated, answer the following questions:
A) I am not allowed to purchase, read or possess religious books or material.
B) Others are allowed to have access books, movies and websites that I do not like.
A) My religious group is not allowed equal protection under the establishment clause.
B) My religious group is not allowed to use public funds, buildings and resources as we would like, for whatever purposes we might like.
A) Another religious group has been declared the official faith of my country.
B) My own religious group is not given status as the official faith of my country.
A) I am not allowed to teach my children the creation stories of our faith at home.
B) Public school science classes are teaching science.
If you answered "A" to any question, then perhaps your religious liberty is indeed at stake. You and your faith group have every right to now advocate for equal protection under the law. But just remember this one little, constitutional, concept: this means you can fight for your equality -- not your superiority.
If you answered "B" to any question, then not only is your religious liberty not at stake, but there is a strong chance that you are oppressing the religious liberties of others. This is the point where I would invite you to refer back to the tenets of your faith, especially the ones about your neighbors.
In closing, no matter what soundbites you hear this election year, remember this: Religious liberty is never secured by a campaign of religious superiority. The only way to ensure your own religious liberty remains strong is by advocating for the religious liberty of all, including those with whom you may passionately disagree. Because they deserve the same rights as you. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Obviously you're an individual suffering severely from persecutory delusions.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
thank you mrs obvious

Springboro, OH

#31649 Jul 8, 2014
Good Golly wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know that one definition of proselyte is: convert?
Wow!! No kidding?!? So glad I could help you to expand that vocabulary of yours into the opportunistic world of 4-syllable words!

Now...about your spelling...
Let Freedom Ring

Springboro, OH

#31651 Jul 8, 2014
Contrary to Todd Petrey's $12,000 contract to Jeff Stec of Citizens for Civic Renewal, there is no ONE facilitator; but free speech for all to voice each ONE's opinion, on this blog.

Contrary to concerns of the Many Voices Project with LACK of diversity (demographic, socioeconomic, political, generational, professional, etc.) on the Petrey/Stec Team of community meetings, this Topix community engagement blog is open to One Community With Many Concerns and Respect for Diverstiy.

"Whatever the context, the point is the same: if a group wants to move forward, it needs to develop an understood, agreed-on-purpose."

The Petrey/Stec MVP project has all the money and power to move forward to develop ONE future of Union Solidarity AGAINST our ONE Community of Diversity in Beliefs and Values in Education; All we have in opposition to ONE future of Union Solidarity is our Great American constitutional rights of free speech and freedom of choice of religious expression.

Community Engagement of MVP meetings VS other community
discussions SHARE common interest in the Topic of this blog:
in debate of Dayton Daily News recommendation: Springboro voters should say yes the first time to school levies.
Just Asking

Springboro, OH

#31652 Jul 9, 2014
Why are some on this Topix whining about that spelling on this free discussion blog; while for sure these academic failures of our union classroom teachers keep getting deleted?
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
For some reason the above post keeps getting deleted by someone. I wonder what some would find so offensive that the information contained within must be kept from public view.
Are the number of children at the 7th grade level who are comprehending less than 75% of the math material disturbing to this community?
Less than 1 child in 4 scores 75% or better on the Ohio Achievement Assessment math test in Springboro.
Those numbers my friends do not make an excellent with distinction school district.
Can we do better?
Yes.
Will spending $2,000,000 on a new curriculum suddenly turn kids smart?
Nope.
Maybe we can try teaching the material that is in the books we already have. There is no question on the test that cannot be found in the existing text books.
Will aligning ourselves with the Common Core make our children more intelligent?
Nope.
The only way the necessary learning will occur is through teaching all of the children the material that is in the text books we already have in place.
After all, how much has math changed in the past decade?
Just Asking

Springboro, OH

#31656 Jul 9, 2014
Will aligning ourselves with the common core make our children more intelligent?

Parents, teachers, and education leaders along the political spectrum are increasingly raising questions about constitutionality and transparency of this joint project, called the Common Core State
Standards Initiative (CCSS) concerned about the high cost of implementing the standards and the national tests that will be based on them, as well as the potential loss of local control of curriculum and instruction. see website: http://report.heritage.org/ib3800
please seek help

Springboro, OH

#31658 Jul 9, 2014
Let Freedom Ring wrote:
Contrary to Todd Petrey's $12,000 contract to Jeff Stec of Citizens for Civic Renewal, there is no ONE facilitator; but free speech for all to voice each ONE's opinion, on this blog.
Contrary to concerns of the Many Voices Project with LACK of diversity (demographic, socioeconomic, political, generational, professional, etc.) on the Petrey/Stec Team of community meetings, this Topix community engagement blog is open to One Community With Many Concerns and Respect for Diverstiy.
"Whatever the context, the point is the same: if a group wants to move forward, it needs to develop an understood, agreed-on-purpose."
The Petrey/Stec MVP project has all the money and power to move forward to develop ONE future of Union Solidarity AGAINST our ONE Community of Diversity in Beliefs and Values in Education; All we have in opposition to ONE future of Union Solidarity is our Great American constitutional rights of free speech and freedom of choice of religious expression.
Community Engagement of MVP meetings VS other community
discussions SHARE common interest in the Topic of this blog:
in debate of Dayton Daily News recommendation: Springboro voters should say yes the first time to school levies.
Step 1 to recovery.
We admitted we were powerless over __________ that our lives had become unmanageable.
http://www.wikihow.com/Recognize-Delusional-D...
Whine Whine Whine

Springboro, OH

#31659 Jul 9, 2014
But by the November 2011 school board election in which two (2) additional "fiscally conservative" candidates won seats, SEA knew it was time to step it up ...... www.ohea.org/this-is-what-solidarity-looks-li...

We admitted we pay attention only to ourselves.
We withdrew into a shell of self-pity and self-indulgence that excludes anyone else.
We admitted we are collectively powerless over the disease and our lives had become collectively unmanageable.

SEA union activists call it Solidarity.

Clinical psychotherapists have technically called it - narcissism.

When too many people collectively act out such a cutthroat attitude, believing that only their own collective interests matter, the community is already ailing under the oppression of a union controlled agenda with lazy minded professional educators, thinking of themselves elitist above others and having no accountability to living within our community financial means.

This is what SEA narcissism Whine Whine Whine looks like:

The school board was freely stating its plans to move to a merit pay system, bring health insurance in line with the private sector AND
oh fiddle dee dee..... that mean old school board was going to have teachers work in the same rigorous manner as others in the community!
please seek help

Springboro, OH

#31660 Jul 10, 2014
Whine Whine Whine wrote:
But by the November 2011 school board election in which two (2) additional "fiscally conservative" candidates won seats, SEA knew it was time to step it up ...... www.ohea.org/this-is-what-solidarity-looks-li...
We admitted we pay attention only to ourselves.
We withdrew into a shell of self-pity and self-indulgence that excludes anyone else.
We admitted we are collectively powerless over the disease and our lives had become collectively unmanageable.
SEA union activists call it Solidarity.
Clinical psychotherapists have technically called it - narcissism.
When too many people collectively act out such a cutthroat attitude, believing that only their own collective interests matter, the community is already ailing under the oppression of a union controlled agenda with lazy minded professional educators, thinking of themselves elitist above others and having no accountability to living within our community financial means.
This is what SEA narcissism Whine Whine Whine looks like:
The school board was freely stating its plans to move to a merit pay system, bring health insurance in line with the private sector AND
oh fiddle dee dee..... that mean old school board was going to have teachers work in the same rigorous manner as others in the community!
On second thought, it would behoove you to begin your recovery process with step 4:

"Made a searching and fearless inventory of ourselves"
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31661 Jul 10, 2014
What ever happened to posts 31653, post 31654, and post 31655?

Why are the facts being deleted from this board? Could it be that the pro union left does not wish anyone to know of their obvious failures?

1 in 4 children is able to score above 75% on the Ohio Achievement Assessment tests in basic math at the junior high school.

That fact alone speaks volumes about the preparation our children are receiving in advance of high school.

1 out of 4 children in the junior high is able to score 75% or better on the Ohio Achievement Assessment test in math.

25% of our children are passing at the junior high school level.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31663 Jul 10, 2014
Celebrating PROFICIENCY means that one believes attaining 34%-56% of the material in math is good enough.

PROFICIENT is defined by the state on the 7th grade math portion of the Ohio Achievement Assessment test as getting 34%- 56% of the test correct.

34%- 56% on the OAA math test for 7th grade makes a student PROFICIENT.

217 students in the 7th grade scored below 56% on the test.

217 students out of 508 in the class of 2018 score below 56% on the OAA test.

Results like this can only be achieved by a system that is failing to prepare children each year for the succeeding year. It is not a failure of one teacher at the junior high, but a systemic failure that is not properly teaching our children at each stage earlier in the process.

Spending millions of dollars on new teaching tools will not change the outcome of this program if the same teachers are still not successfully able to teach the curriculum that exists today.

Math does not change. 2+2=4, always has and always will equal 4, no matter how fancy or how much money you wish to spend to present that basic fact.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31664 Jul 10, 2014
Where Is Accountability wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is to "blame" for us having Petrey, except our school superintendent, Todd Petrey.
where IS accountability wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF ?!?
So much for that long-held right-wing position that liberals corner the market when it comes to white-washing history!!
Only the individual can define him or her self, what someone decides for themselves to become is left to them and only them.

I believe it was a rhetorical allusion, not a literal reference.
Not One Voice

Springboro, OH

#31666 Jul 10, 2014
No One is Representing the Children in our SEA union controlled board room of Anderson/Malone/Stuckey majority members and our school district staff led by Todd Petrey, superintendent of schools.

Everyone always says, "It's about the kids," but in reality, policy too often has little to do with children or their well-being. The focus always seems to come down to adults and institutions doing what they do best -- protecting their status quo. Of course organizations advocate for their members. That's to be expected. The real problem is that no one is representing children.....

One thing I have learned over the past year on the State Board of Education is that education is mostly about power and money and who gets to control both. As a result, objections to new policies are marked by cries that change is unfair or bad for "our members." Rarely do we hear a policy discussion start with protestations that something is simply "not good for kids."

(see website article by Thomas W. Gunlock, member of the State Board of Education)
www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2...
inquiring minds

Springboro, OH

#31667 Jul 10, 2014
Not One Voice wrote:
No One is Representing the Children in our SEA union controlled board room of Anderson/Malone/Stuckey majority members and our school district staff led by Todd Petrey, superintendent of schools.
Everyone always says, "It's about the kids," but in reality, policy too often has little to do with children or their well-being. The focus always seems to come down to adults and institutions doing what they do best -- protecting their status quo. Of course organizations advocate for their members. That's to be expected. The real problem is that no one is representing children.....
One thing I have learned over the past year on the State Board of Education is that education is mostly about power and money and who gets to control both. As a result, objections to new policies are marked by cries that change is unfair or bad for "our members." Rarely do we hear a policy discussion start with protestations that something is simply "not good for kids."
(see website article by Thomas W. Gunlock, member of the State Board of Education)
www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2...
What is it that compels you to be so consistently and blatantly outspoken on this this topix thread, while never venturing to walk forward to voice these same opinions at the BOE podium? Could the reason be BOE meetings intimidate you?
Let Freedom Ring

Springboro, OH

#31668 Jul 10, 2014
Why was post #31665 Community Engagement opinion deleted from Topix?

Here is the invitation of Todd Petrey's Many Voices Project school community meetings that are posted to the public:

"While we all agree public education is important to our community, that idea means something different to everyone. Public schools belong to the community, and we are inviting you to consider the big picture about education's role in our community and how the schools can better serve all residents. In this process, everyone will get a chance to speak, be understood, and be a part of creating a long-range vision for our school district."

Guess Freedom of speech on this Topix, and the chance to be understood now comes with a price tag of Jeff Stec's $12,000 contract as outside facilitator, and the Many Voices of Opposition to our union controlled Board of Education majority members are being ignored by our board president, Charles Anderson.
Waste Watchers

Springboro, OH

#31669 Jul 10, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
Celebrating PROFICIENCY means that one believes attaining 34%-56% of the material in math is good enough.
PROFICIENT is defined by the state on the 7th grade math portion of the Ohio Achievement Assessment test as getting 34%- 56% of the test correct.
34%- 56% on the OAA math test for 7th grade makes a student PROFICIENT.
217 students in the 7th grade scored below 56% on the test.
217 students out of 508 in the class of 2018 score below 56% on the OAA test.
Results like this can only be achieved by a system that is failing to prepare children each year for the succeeding year. It is not a failure of one teacher at the junior high, but a systemic failure that is not properly teaching our children at each stage earlier in the process.
Spending millions of dollars on new teaching tools will not change the outcome of this program if the same teachers are still not successfully able to teach the curriculum that exists today.
Math does not change. 2+2=4, always has and always will equal 4, no matter how fancy or how much money you wish to spend to present that basic fact.
Our school superintendent is fond of telling the NFSS pro-levy team to just go about the Boro, telling about how Wonderful are our professional educators; and the levies will take care of themselves; but it is found that there is little connection between teacher pay
and performance. Why Waste Your Money voting Yes on New Levies?
http://stateimpact.npr.org/ohio/2013/06/17gra...
One Voice Many Concerns

Springboro, OH

#31672 Jul 11, 2014
Waste Watchers wrote:
<quoted text>
Our school superintendent is fond of telling the NFSS pro-levy team to just go about the Boro, telling about how Wonderful are our professional educators; and the levies will take care of themselves; but it is found that there is little connection between teacher pay
and performance. Why Waste Your Money voting Yes on New Levies?
http://stateimpact.npr.org/ohio/2013/06/17gra...
Todd Petrey is also fond of telling his staff that we are a wealthy community and that we have to pay our school employees more money to keep them from going to other school districts that pay more; but Todd Petrey does not know how to lead our school district successfully without hurting others.

Mr. Petrey intercedes email questions to our Board of Education elected officials, and uses the power of his ONE voice as highest paid school employee ever to ridicule Springboro residents and answers emails sent to the Board, in his defense of Ron Malone's March 2012 protest rally against Board Authority, in which Ron Malone (as SHS principal) led our students to violate their own student code of behavior which dictates RESPECT for school authority. Ms. Terrah Floyd, who is employed as Treasurer, often joins Mr. Petrey and other staff members in ridiculing the email questions to the Board president regarding important school district issues (which affect all Springboro Stakeholders) such as Policy and Budget/Finance.

Mr. Petrey has successfully taken back our Children First Budgeting Vision of Reform and put the Renewed emphasis back on maintaining Union First status quo..... but after only six months of working under the leadership of our union controlled board majority members Charles Anderson, Ron Malone, and David Stuckey...... Inquiring minds are asking can we really afford Todd Petrey's Success for Union First, at such cost of sacrificing our Children First budgeting progress made during the two years of fiscal conservative majority board members?
Not One Voice

Springboro, OH

#31673 Jul 11, 2014

www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2 ...
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31675 Jul 11, 2014
To be considered a top tier student in the state of Ohio you need to score at least 72% on the Ohio Achievement Assessment test.

72% correct on the state math test is all it takes to become one of the top students in the state.

This is a basic 7th grade math test, there is no calculus, derivatives, trigonometry, or any other higher level of math on this test.

It comprises all of the material one would have expected a 7th grader to have learned up to that point in their education.

72% is all it takes to become a top student.

That bar is unacceptably low for this community.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#31676 Jul 11, 2014
Anyone watch the Mason school district union negotiations, they seem remarkably familiar.

Step 1) Union files Unfair Labor Practices lawsuit
Step 2) Have Union membership votes to authorize strike
Step 3) Decry any changes as compromising program and harming children by the cold hearted and money grubbing administration and school board.
Step 4) Cry poverty and abuse by school district, have uninformed parents come out to demand somebody else give the teachers more money and benefits.
Step 5) Watch school district cave, get standard raise in pay and benefits across the board regardless of performance, see no changes.
Step 6) Wash and repeat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Jerry K 31,128
"Is there an ISIS crisis at levy time?" 4 hr Leon Harrison 1
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr Chuck 19,222
ING is now Yoya, a brand-new investment and ret... 10 hr Leon Harison 3
This is your lucky Monday! 10 hr Leon Harison 7
Riverside Police (Sep '11) 20 hr Do Something 22
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Fri Vic 231
•••
•••
•••

Xenia Jobs

•••
•••