Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 32027 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Got Brain Drain

Springfield, OH

#29779 Dec 22, 2013
get a clue wrote:
<quoted text>
Hypocrite!
Is "get a clue" the same as "BORO ALUMNI?"

Guess YOU dropped out of ......All extracurricular sports activities which train the student
for a worthwhile maturity.
Question

Springfield, OH

#29780 Dec 22, 2013
get a clue wrote:
<quoted text>
For one who perpetually paints themselves as an arrogant, self-righteous tea party know-it-all, you really don't know sh## about the movers and shakers and happenings in this community!
For one who perpetually resorts to name calling and false judgment of those that you do not even know, why can't "get a clue" just answer the question, or simply state "I don't know?"
What's up with all the potty-mouth mom in the board room for S-U-R-E .... blah blah blah ##?
Question

Springfield, OH

#29781 Dec 22, 2013
get a clue wrote:
<quoted text>
For one who perpetually paints themselves as an arrogant, self-righteous tea party know-it-all, you really don't know sh## about the movers and shakers and happenings in this community!
Hey "get a clue!" Do You Believe in Second Chances for S-U-R-E?

OK, here's a second chance to prove to yourself that you are not just full of
blah blah blah ## and that you actually do know about the movers and shakers and
happenings in this community. Just Answer the question:

According to the Springboro Athletic Boosters Association Constitution and By-Laws,
"the purpose of this club shall be:

To bring a closer relationship and understanding between the school and the community?"

Now Take a Look At Yourself and answer the Question:

Do you think that your "get a clue" posts bring a closer relationship and understanding between the school and the community?
Question

Springfield, OH

#29782 Dec 22, 2013
Hey there "get a clue" Why not just answer the questions?
Could it that it is really YOU who doesn't have clue?

Where did you get the idea that the "Springboro Athletic Boosters Association Constitution and By-Laws" is NEWFOUND EDUCATION? Just because the Boosters have ignored their own by-laws and shown no RESPECT for school board authority all these years, doesn't
negate their RESPONSIBILITY to Acknowledge these by-laws for years and get to work, today, each performing individual roles and working in a unified direction, putting our students athletic programs best interest FIRST; instead of the status quo, business as usual way, putting individual sports coaches best financial interests FIRST?
Isn't that what all YOUR "get a clue" crap is really all about?

Who is your Springboro Athletics Boosters Association LEADER?
Who is your President?
Who is your Vice President?
Who is your Treasurer?
Who is the Boosters Leader that works with the Schools Athletic Director, to bring
together the work of the Boosters and the work of the School Board, with the framework of respecting authority of our school policies and by-laws, already in place (and have been in place all these years that our Boosters and Sports Coaches have ignored these laws).

Now, if your "mission" on this blog does not engage your "skill set" of knowledge and civil tongue to impart that knowledge, then:

Why should anyone believe your crap and just become an active Supporter of the Boosters, when it appears that the Boosters are operating their own hidden mission, asking citizens to trust that the Boosters know better how to spend OUR money; when the True History of Boosters stealing OUR money is now proven facts?

Do you know if the convicted Boosters officer (after his due date in court) was ever held accountable for violating the Boosters own by-laws, including the Boosters responsibility and Purpose of the Club, which is..... To bring a closer relationship and understanding between the school and the community?

Are you, "get a clue" a member of the Boosters? If so, do YOU believe that your posts on this blog are "bringing a closer relationship and understanding between the school and the community?
Boro Grapevine

Springfield, OH

#29783 Dec 22, 2013
get a clue wrote:
<quoted text>
Well congratafukulations to you!
While you're busy patting yourself on the back, try really hard not to break your arm.
Heard it on the grapevine that some of our Springboro Sports Coaches use
this type of "get a clue" crude language (and even worse) when yelling at our Students who
play sports. Is it true?
The Next Day

Springfield, OH

#29784 Dec 22, 2013
Tell It Like It is wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me for taking so long to get an answer to your question, but I have done some
Lengthy background research in the school board meeting minutes and found some useful
Information.
It seems that the unusually large crowd, who showed up with the news reporters, to
Question the authority of board member Kelly Kohls to bring this contract to the BOE
For public discussion, was the same old crowd for S-U-R-E that has consistently
Used the media circus to harass, bully, and ridicule board member Kelly Kohls,
Throughout her service of elected office, while humiliating and embarrassing
Our community as a whole, in their S-U-R-E politics of personal destruction, against
Kelly Kohls, who stands firm on principles of her commitment to ensure that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending.
It appears that this group for S-U-R-E will not stop their witch hunt, obviously, because
They hate all that is fiscal conservative, and an interruption of their political agenda
To re-instate the status quo business as usual agenda of past failed practices, to the
Detriment of our school district’s agenda of putting Students First, while maintaining fiscal integrity.
You see, as a matter of routine, our schools use outside firms to audit our facilities and departments, but as usual, this S-U-R-E hysteria of another manufactured crisis was
Started because the board would be voting on a firm that may be tied to
Conservatism. The sheer FEAR of differing opinions (of those Outside the union
Insiders) being publicly discussed in the School Board business meetings always brings out the pre-arranged Insanity of the Maney-Acts for S-U-R-E.
As it turned out, the Board did not vote approval on the contract, but voted to
Table the contract; which means there is NO obligation on the board member’s part to
Bring it back to the next board meeting. Hopefully, that helps you understand why
It was not on the agenda at the last meeting.
Questioning the appropriateness of hiring that particular consulting firm doesn't necessarily mean someone is for or against the former majority of the BOE or Kohls herself. A key concern of many was that the firm lacked experience with assessing the financial processes of a school district.

There are similar consulting firms that specialize in schools and government entities but they were never considered. There is significant difference in how you manage a budget, appropriate funds, recognize expenses, etc. between a commercial business and a government entity. They both have general ledgers but there are major differences beyond that. The analogy I would draw is that an orthopedic surgeon and an opthamologist have both been to medical school, but I sure wouldn't have an orthopedist operate on my eyes. My sense is that this firm was considered because of the Tea Party connection and that there was no consideration of any other firm and the BOE members looking into this lack the financial and "business" experience to know that there would be better consultants out there with this specific expertise. It was simply bad management by the BOE to consider that firm. Could be that the study is needed. But why not get an expert?
It Happens

Springfield, OH

#29785 Dec 22, 2013
get a clue wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a math teacher, get a clue? Whether you admit it or not, you have taught us on
this blog that "get a clue" is just like the bottom half of a fraction: the bigger "get a clue" tries to be, it is now proven, the smaller "get a clue" really is.
The Next Day

Springfield, OH

#29786 Dec 22, 2013
Tell It Like It is wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me for taking so long to get an answer to your question, but I have done some
Lengthy background research in the school board meeting minutes and found some useful
Information.
It seems that the unusually large crowd, who showed up with the news reporters, to
Question the authority of board member Kelly Kohls to bring this contract to the BOE
For public discussion, was the same old crowd for S-U-R-E that has consistently
Used the media circus to harass, bully, and ridicule board member Kelly Kohls,
Throughout her service of elected office, while humiliating and embarrassing
Our community as a whole, in their S-U-R-E politics of personal destruction, against
Kelly Kohls, who stands firm on principles of her commitment to ensure that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending.
It appears that this group for S-U-R-E will not stop their witch hunt, obviously, because
They hate all that is fiscal conservative, and an interruption of their political agenda
To re-instate the status quo business as usual agenda of past failed practices, to the
Detriment of our school district’s agenda of putting Students First, while maintaining fiscal integrity.
You see, as a matter of routine, our schools use outside firms to audit our facilities and departments, but as usual, this S-U-R-E hysteria of another manufactured crisis was
Started because the board would be voting on a firm that may be tied to
Conservatism. The sheer FEAR of differing opinions (of those Outside the union
Insiders) being publicly discussed in the School Board business meetings always brings out the pre-arranged Insanity of the Maney-Acts for S-U-R-E.
As it turned out, the Board did not vote approval on the contract, but voted to
Table the contract; which means there is NO obligation on the board member’s part to
Bring it back to the next board meeting. Hopefully, that helps you understand why
It was not on the agenda at the last meeting.
I thought I responded to this but it seems to have not posted.

Anyway, disagreeing with the firm the BOE wanted to contract with doesn't mean that someone agrees or disagrees with the former BOE majority of Kohls individually. My concern, and I think that of many, was the proposed consulting firm lacked experience in analyzing school districts. I understand their president said he had passed a related certification test but still he and his firm, lacked real world experience. It would appear that this firm was chosen based on Kohl's relationship with its owner and their common ideology.

There are firms that specialize in school district financial operations. Financial management for government entities and commercial businesses is very different. I have experience with both as well as undergraduate and graduate degrees in finance so I know a little bit about this. A good analogy would be that orthopedic surgeons and opthamologists have both been to med school. However, would you let an orthopedic surgeon operate on your eyes? There are some fundamental similarities (blood, tissue,…) but there is so much more beyond that.

It could be that the study is needed. The objective was not clearly and publicly defined. However, the proposed firm was not the firm to hire. To have done so, would have been fiscally irresponsible and bad management.
Tell It Like It is

Springfield, OH

#29787 Dec 22, 2013
The Next Day wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought I responded to this but it seems to have not posted.
Anyway, disagreeing with the firm the BOE wanted to contract with doesn't mean that someone agrees or disagrees with the former BOE majority of Kohls individually. My concern, and I think that of many, was the proposed consulting firm lacked experience in analyzing school districts. I understand their president said he had passed a related certification test but still he and his firm, lacked real world experience. It would appear that this firm was chosen based on Kohl's relationship with its owner and their common ideology.
There are firms that specialize in school district financial operations. Financial management for government entities and commercial businesses is very different. I have experience with both as well as undergraduate and graduate degrees in finance so I know a little bit about this. A good analogy would be that orthopedic surgeons and opthamologists have both been to med school. However, would you let an orthopedic surgeon operate on your eyes? There are some fundamental similarities (blood, tissue,…) but there is so much more beyond that.
It could be that the study is needed. The objective was not clearly and publicly defined. However, the proposed firm was not the firm to hire. To have done so, would have been fiscally irresponsible and bad management.
The tabling of this contract was a decision made by the board representatives; and it
had nothing to do with the analogy of surgeons, nor med school; even if Dr. Malone,
who has been a fiscally irresponsible high school principal and bad manager, running
our high school like a union shop, did make an appearance.

There is nothing more "beyond that." Just another manufactured crisis for S-U-R-E, running to the newspapers trying to stir up controversial arguments, because they hate all that is conservative, all that is of reform minded vision, all that is outside the insiders union tent, fearful of interruption of their status quo political agenda of forced unionism.

Over and over for the past two years, beginning with the March 2012 proposed promotion of our "under performing" high school principal to challenge himself to affect needed changes to the greater good of raising the bar for all our students and teachers. What about all the taxpayers money wasted on the contract for the Warren County Educational Service Center? What about the audit report that Dr.Malone ignored?
And where was concern to hold Dr. Malone accountable?(didn't that WC ESC report cost taxpayers about $8000? and didn't Dr. Malone just stuff this report in the bottom of his desk drawer? Just curious -- is it true that the
report was stuck under the donut boxes?) And What about the High Schools That Work report conducted by the TAV team proving that mandated requirements and guidelines were being ignored to the detriment of our students highest academic achievement?

Where were you with your concern over fiscal irresponsibility and bad management
during this time of Dr. Malone's misallocation of district and taxpayer resources?
Where was the concern of fiscal irresponsibility and bad management of Dr. Malone using our High School program of studies to make up classes with scant demand to ensure employment for those school union employees whose skills were not in demand?

(Why all the protesting and bullying of the board who SAVED about $5500 in
unnecessary OSBA membership fees; putting our school tax dollars to work buying new TEXTBOOKS for students?)

Did you know that these status quo tactics of Dr. Malone's lazy minded leadership robbed resources from areas of greater need in the district? Did you know that those who suffered the most from Dr. Malone's status quo tactics were the gifted and those in need of early intervention? Why was NO ONE standing up and speaking out for our Students First highest academic achievement potential in the board room?
The Record Speaks Truth

Springfield, OH

#29788 Dec 22, 2013
As the man who led our school district as high school principal for 13 years, Ron Malone held a special place of trust, authority, and influence in our community. How he chose to use those gifts is revealed in the public records reports of his professional peer reviewers, his superiors, and his own public pronouncements.
It is not as golden as you have been led to believe.
DECEMBER 2010 - Warren County Educational Service Center audit
report on SHS program of studies RECOMMENDATIONS page 13:

"Increase the number of students taking the HIGH SCHOOLS THAT WORKS recommended curriculum/Ohio Core each year by at least 25 percent.
"Increase the percentage of students taking college preparatory courses. Eliminate any course offerings below the college preparatory level."

JANUARY 2012 - Superintendent Gene Lolli's annual performance evaluation of Mr. Malone notes:

"Mr. Malone does demonstrate the ability to affect change, but sometimes very reluctantly. It sometimes takes numerous requests by Superintendent before changes are implemented."

Mr. Malone needs to improve on getting request goals to the Superintendent in a timely fashion. Examples include: Requested schedule of events for delayed start at the beginning of the year, at semester, and last week and have not yet received. Also requested times and dates of all staff meetings and quarterly updates on the High Schools That Work per 2011-2012 job targets.

JANUARY 2013 - Warren County Educational Service Center audit report on SHS program of studies page 10:
"SHS still offers GENERAL LEVEL CLASSES (Algebra 1A and 1B, physical science, US History, and World History). Thus, not all students experience a college preparatory curriculum. Documents provided to the Technical Assistance Visiting (TAV Team indicate that contrary to the High Schools That Works philosophy, SHS believes that offering LOW-LEVEL COURSES is in the best interest of students. This belief, however, WAS NOT SUBSTANTIATED by research or data."
2013 US NEWS ranking of high schools in Ohio ranks King’s #23, Mason #35, Bellbrook#37, Brookville #41, Lebanon #48, Centerville #49, Waynesville #53, Monroe #90 and , and finally Springboro #97.
Given our district’s stated 40% gifted population, the fact that only 20% are on track to take A/P classes in high school, our district is severely underperforming compared to those districts around us in my opinion.
*Number of Dual College Credit Classes available when Mr. Malone
retired - 0
*Number of Dual College Credit classes added after Mr. Malone retired
June 30, 2013 - 6
Misallocation of district and taxpayer resources: 34 out of 77 elective classes at the high school had less than 20 students, more than a few had multiple classes.
IE: Children’s Literature, 2 classes – 27 total students, Entrepreneurship, 2 classes – 20 total students, etc.
My conclusion is that Mr. Malone ran this high school like a union shop, making up classes with scant demand to ensure employment for those whose skills were not in demand. This tactic robbed resources from areas of greater need in the district. Those who suffered the most were the gifted and those in need of early intervention.
get a clue

Springfield, OH

#29791 Dec 23, 2013
It Happens wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a math teacher, get a clue? Whether you admit it or not, you have taught us on
this blog that "get a clue" is just like the bottom half of a fraction: the bigger "get a clue" tries to be, it is now proven, the smaller "get a clue" really is.
WTF are you TALKING ABOUT?

Hey sweetheart, Christmas Eve isn't until tomorrow.
In case anyone else hasn't told you, it's still a little too early to break into the spiked egg nog.
get a clue

Springfield, OH

#29792 Dec 23, 2013
Got Brain Drain wrote:
<quoted text>
Is "get a clue" the same as "BORO ALUMNI?"
Nope. Not even close. Guess again.
yourcheckup fromda neckup

Springfield, OH

#29793 Dec 23, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey "get a clue!" Do You Believe in Second Chances for S-U-R-E?
OK, here's a second chance to prove to yourself that you are not just full of
blah blah blah ## and that you actually do know about the movers and shakers and
happenings in this community. Just Answer the question:
According to the Springboro Athletic Boosters Association Constitution and By-Laws,
"the purpose of this club shall be:
To bring a closer relationship and understanding between the school and the community?"
Now Take a Look At Yourself and answer the Question:
Do you think that your "get a clue" posts bring a closer relationship and understanding between the school and the community?
hypocrisy (noun)- the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's speech or behavior does not conform
get a clue

Springfield, OH

#29794 Dec 23, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
For one who perpetually resorts to name calling and false judgment of those that you do not even know...
Guess again.
The Record Speaks Truth

Springfield, OH

#29795 Dec 23, 2013
yourcheckup fromda neckup wrote:
<quoted text>
hypocrisy (noun)- the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's speech or behavior does not conform
The True History of Ron Malone proves his hypocrisy, meaning the practice of claiming to
have moral standard or beliefs to which Malone's own speech and behavior does not conform.
The Record Speaks Truth

Springfield, OH

#29796 Dec 23, 2013
"The Next Day" post may or may not be correct; but the Board's vote to table the contract is now a dead issue.

The time has now come to question why Ron Malone led our high school students to protest against the legal authority of Board Members Kelly Kohls, Jim Rigano, and David Petroni to fulfill their responsibility, in proposing a transfer of a Principal that was under-performing, to District Offices and a new set of work skills?
Now that we all know the True History of Ron Malone's failed practices of running our high school like a union shop, We can see clearly that the action the BOE took was simply trying to protect Mr. Malone's professional reputation as a highly respected educator in our community, with 41 years of Past Experience. We all remember that
all board members spoke with respect about Mr. Malone's ability, as a professional, to affect these much needed, state mandated reforms in our school district; but Mr. Malone refused, and threw a community wide hissy fit, spreading lies throughout our schools and our neighborhoods, falsely accusing (by NAME) three board
members who he claimed were trying to "push" him out of school employment. Shame on you, Dr. Malone! Where is the behavior of "professionalism" in that poor role model that
you are to our schools and community?
These Three BOE members were "demonized" by Ron's Kids and your Vote for Revenge campaign, simply because these board members were doing what's right for all our school children and our community. They Tried and Succeeded to make Some Changes and further asked Tough Questions. But you, Mr. Malone, would not accept the difficult challenge to raise the bar for our students and teachers, not even at the prompting of your own boss and good friend, Mr. Lolli. Instead, you negatively influenced your students to garner sympathy for you, and you then basked in the glory of symbolic victimhood, while falsely accusing and demonizing the character of Three Board Members, who had offered you Professional Respect as an Educator, protecting Your reputation as a trusted leader in this community; even when you offered nothing in return.
Inquiring Minds can only wonder about the future of our students 21st century quality classroom education, now that our insanely popular "good old boy" high school principal has been elected board representative; running a Vote for Revenge campaign
on Name Recognition only; while ignoring his responsibility to tell the public the truth about his "hidden" failures to put our students best interests first.
We are now learning the truth and know that everything Dr. Malone did was to build up Dr. Malone's ego, whether it was building up his Principal's Fund account with hidden costs of picture packets, or using the program of studies to add financial gain and ensure employment to union teachers, instead of putting priority on our students
higher academic achievement.
Perhaps "The Next Day" remembers last March 2012, when High School Principal Ron Malone (according to the DDN) interrupted our high school students taking their OGT, and one young girl reported that she had to send an e-mail to the board, on behalf of Ron Malone, demanding that her beloved principal be left on the job, because
she stated that her "education" could not thrive without her daily
status quo "have a nice day" from Principal Ron?
The day has now come for Taxpayers to Question Ron Malone's motives for running for election to our school board..... Now We Know That It Was “Not to Put Students First while Maintaining Fiscal Integrity;” but only to put the Re-Emphasis on
hiring More Union Employees, thereby increasing Union Dues going to the SEA, OEA, and the NEA. It's All About the Money!
Words of Wisdom

Springfield, OH

#29797 Dec 23, 2013
The Record Speaks Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The True History of Ron Malone proves his hypocrisy, meaning the practice of claiming to
have moral standard or beliefs to which Malone's own speech and behavior does not conform.
To teachers, students are the end products,-- all else is a means. Hence there is but one interpretation of high standards in teaching: standards are highest where the maximum number of students -- slow learners and fast learners alike --develop to their maximal capacity.- Joseph Seidlin
The Record Speaks Truth

Springfield, OH

#29798 Dec 23, 2013
Words of Wisdom wrote:
<quoted text>
To teachers, students are the end products,-- all else is a means. Hence there is but one interpretation of high standards in teaching: standards are highest where the maximum number of students -- slow learners and fast learners alike --develop to their maximal capacity.- Joseph Seidlin
As the man who led our school district as high school principal for 13 years, Ron Malone
held a special place of trust, authority, and influence in our community. How he chose to use those gifts is revealed in the public records reports of his professional peer reviewers, his superiors, and his own public pronouncements. After thoroughly reviewing the Warren County Educational Service Center audit port on SHS program of studies recommendations,
and the Springboro High School TV Report, the truth is clearly revealed that for many years the leadership of the High School ignored the demands of the federal government, our academic progress declines of our students; revealing the truth that 1 out of 4 (23%) of
our graduates did not meet the minimum competencies to get into college!

The True History of a man through official documents written by third party observers,
reveals misallocation of district and taxpayer resources: 34 out of 77 elective classes at the high school had less than 20 students; More than a few had multiple classes. IE: Children's Literature, 2 classes - 27 Students, Entrepreneurship, 2 classes - 20 students, etc.

My conclusion is that Mr. Malone ran this high school like a union shop, making up classes with scant demand to ensure employment for those whose skills were not in demand.
This tactic ROBBED RESOURCES from areas of greater need in the district. Those who
SUFFERED THE MOST were the GIFTED and those in need of EARLY INTERVENTION.

If only it had been known that Mr. Malone's True History is not as golden as we have been
led to believe, would we have elected this insanely popular has been a High School
principal for the past 13 years? Now that we know the truth, can we trust that Mr. Malone
is up to the challenges of leading our school district as school board representative?
The Record Speaks Truth

Springfield, OH

#29799 Dec 23, 2013
To teachers, students are the end products,-- all else is a means. Hence there is but one interpretation of high standards in teaching: standards are highest where the maximum number of students -- slow learners and fast learners alike --develop to their maximal capacity.-Joseph Seidlin

My conclusion is that Mr. Malone ran this high school like a union shop, making up classes with scant demand to ensure employment for those whose skills were not in demand.
This tactic ROBBED RESOURCES from areas of greater need in the district. Those who SUFFERED THE MOST were the GIFTED and those in need of EARLY INTERVENTION.

If only it had been known that Mr. Malone's True History is not as golden as we have been led to believe, would we have elected this insanely popular has been a High School
principal for the past 13 years?

Now that we know the truth, THERE IS NO TRUST in Malone
to be able to meet the great challenges of leading our school community of employees and our community of taxpayers.

Springboro Families must continue questioning Mr. Malone's
motives; and as board representative Mr. Malone must be
held accountable to putting our Students First, maintaining
fiscal responsibility within our current Children's First budget
framework, with NO NEW TAXES needed for many years to
come.
Public School Is A Prison

Springfield, OH

#29800 Dec 24, 2013
Parents send their children to school with the best of intentions, believing that’s what they need to become productive and happy adults. Many have qualms about how well schools are performing, but the conventional wisdom is that these issues can be resolved with more money, better teachers, more challenging curricula and/or more rigorous tests.

But what if the real problem is school itself? The unfortunate fact is that one of our most cherished institutions is, by its very nature, failing our children and our society.

School is a place where children are compelled to be, and where their freedom is greatly restricted — far more restricted than most adults would tolerate in their workplaces. In recent decades, we have been compelling our children to spend ever more time in this kind of setting, and there is strong evidence (summarized in my recent book) that this is causing serious psychological damage to many of them. Moreover, the more scientists have learned about how children naturally learn, the more we have come to realize that children learn most deeply and fully, and with greatest enthusiasm, in conditions that are almost opposite to those of school.

Compulsory schooling has been a fixture of our culture now for several generations. It’s hard today for most people to even imagine how children would learn what they must for success in our culture without it. President Obama and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan are so enamored with schooling that they want even longer school days and school years. Most people assume that the basic design of schools, as we know them today, emerged from scientific evidence about how children learn best. But, in fact, nothing could be further from the truth.

Schools as we know them today are a product of history, not of research into how children learn. The blueprint still used for today’s schools was developed during the Protestant Reformation, when schools were created to teach children to read the Bible, to believe scripture without questioning it, and to obey authority figures without questioning them. The early founders of schools were quite clear about this in their writings. The idea that schools might be places for nurturing critical thought, creativity, self-initiative or ability to learn on one’s own — the kinds of skills most needed for success in today’s economy — was the furthest thing from their minds. To them, willfulness was sinfulness, to be drilled or beaten out of children, not encouraged.

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/26/school_is_a_p...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
single or married ? 5 min Tantor 7
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 15 hr why 21,286
Former swimming pool at Old River NCR park (Jul '10) Oct 16 judyg 12
people keep turning up missing Oct 14 TruckFump 7
whos dealin drugs Oct 13 Neighbor 8
who and where is skunk Oct 12 Guest 5
African Americans Oct 10 Looking out 1

Xenia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Xenia Mortgages