Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,415

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
the decider

Dayton, OH

#29685 Dec 12, 2013
Dayton Daily News wrote:
Why don't you fools stay on topic? Why cant' you pass a levy after 6 years?
why ? because most of us have wised up to the school union Nazis.
Symbolism vs Substance

Springboro, OH

#29686 Dec 12, 2013
Dayton Daily News wrote:
Why don't you fools stay on topic? Why cant' you pass a levy after 6 years?
Fools Rush In... with Red Ribbon Symbolism, emotionally blackmailing for increased taxes, not because New levies are needed; but just because the "time has now come" because it has been so-o-o- long since the pro-levy addicted ones have experienced Victory over common sense voters.

Common sense voters have NO FEAR, treading through the years
with NO NEW TAXES needed, putting Students first... in the direction of sustainability!

"Where the board's at right now is wanting the highest academic achievement and fiscal responsibility," Petrey said, "That's what I stand for." (DDN, August 2012)

With every step, our current board is PROVING that this district
--with its record of excellence-- is sustainable with an even lower tax burden! We are meeting and exceeding state mandates as well as local expectations; building a technology backbone, investing in computers, curriculum, buses, and buildings. Most
important, our current board and school district leaders are being HONEST about what is needed through 2017! This is REFORM at the
local level, and this IS working together toward sustainability!
Spread the Great News

Springboro, OH

#29687 Dec 12, 2013
...in the direction of Beliefs Worth Living,
Keeping Our Springboro Schools and Community
Both SAFE and AFFORDABLE!

Look at Today and the Future! We Support the Progress Made in The Past Two Years!

WE BELIEVE over taxation of the taxpayers is wrong!

WE BELIEVE in supporting the amount of necessary taxation required to do the job correctly.

WE BELIEVE that excess tax money in any government body tends to inspire creative ways to spend that money.

WE BELIEVE transparency, from budgeting to policy formulation to meetings, leads to good governance in all levels of government.

WE BELIEVE in order to deliver the highest level of education we must raise the bar well past the state minimums and strive to
challenge our children, parents, and staff to reach higher. We can and must do better, our children's future depends on our actions today.

WE BELIEVE that allocating resources from areas of less demand to areas of greater demand is one common sense approach to resolving
needs in our schools. Federal and state mandates many preclude some reallocation, but we are still left with a sizable amount to influence.

WE BELIEVE that in order to take advantage of the higher level classes at the high school, more children must be put on that track at earlier
grade levels. We support Mr. Petrey's move towards emphasis on more development in the earliest grade levels. While not all children will eventually end in a calculus class in high school, we can certainly better prepare them all for post graduate success. And that benefits everyone.

WE BELIEVE that the future belongs to technology. It is absolutely essential that we recognize technology not as a means to an end, but as a
conduit through which knowledge flows. Much like the wires that flow to our houses bringing electricity, our technology investments are being
made to ensure the future flow of knowledge to our children.

WE BELIEVE that leveraging school fees, services, personnel decisions, safety, or infrastructure maintenance to threaten families in order
to influence regular or levy elections is wrong.

WE BELIEVE, as Mr. Petrey stated in the November 14, 2013 issue of Springboro Star Press, expressing Thanks to the Community for Passing
Renewal Levy:

This district has come a long way from the divisiveness of past levy campaigns, and we did so by listening to many voices and many perspectives.
We hope you all will stay informed and involved. As you know, great things happen in our schools each and every day. They happen because
we work together--students, families and parents, teachers and staff, and our community -- on behalf of our students. These are truly community schools, and that was reflected in the voters' approval of Issue 14.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#29688 Dec 12, 2013
Spread the Great News wrote:
...in the direction of Beliefs Worth Living,
Keeping Our Springboro Schools and Community
WE BELIEVE the only one who believes your BS is you.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#29689 Dec 12, 2013
Dayton Daily News wrote:
Why don't you fools stay on topic? Why cant' you pass a levy after 6 years?
We did. Why don't you pay attention FOOL.
The Record Speaks Truth

Springboro, OH

#29690 Dec 13, 2013
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
WE BELIEVE the only one who believes your BS is you.
"The More You Know" protests too much in favor of re-instating (in the boardroom)
Malone's failed practices of status quo tunnel vision leadership. Obviously, you are not even
convinced that Malone's winning of only second place in his own popularity contest is a
victory for s-u-r-e.

WE BELIEVE that YOU are the only one who believes in your MSA insane arrogance.
The Record Speaks Truth

Springboro, OH

#29691 Dec 13, 2013
Dayton Daily News wrote:
Why don't you fools stay on topic? Why cant' you pass a levy after 6 years?
Our recent history of FIVE failed NEW money levies has challenged our district, but with our staff and teachers, we have met that challenge. With date-driven decisions and careful budgeting, we have reallocated resources to do MORE for our kids without asking our community for higher taxes.

The budget through 2017 includes busing for all grades and a program to spend more than $2.1 million on new buses; more than $2 million in textbooks and curriculum adoption; over $3.7 million in capital needs and deferred maintenance; and more than $1.1 million in new
technology; as well as our current staff salaries and benefits. these needs are met in the five-year forecast even with the lower renewal levy. How is this possible?

With every step, we are proving that this district--with its record of excellence--is sustainable with an even lower tax burden. We are meeting and exceeding state mandates as well as local expectations. We are building a technology backbone, investing in computers, curriculum, buses and buildings. Most important, we are being honest about what is needed through 2017. This is reform at the local level, and this is working together toward
sustainability.
- adopted from a blog post by Springboro Board of Education Member, David Petroni

Overwhelming support for the progress made by our current board in the past two years
is now PROVEN record by the overwhelming approval by voters of our November 5th renewal levy that saves taxpayers $6.5 million! Special Thanks to our current board members, Kelly Kohls, Jim Rigano, David Petroni, Don Miller, and Wendy Kull for
working together, putting Students First, while maintaining fiscal integrity!

"As you know, great things happen in our schools each and every day. They happen because we work together--students, families and parents, teachers and staff, and our community on behalf of our students. These are truly community schools, and that was reflected in the voters' approval of Issue 14. Again, thank you."
-Todd Petrey, Superintendent, comments made in thanks for passing levy renewal,
in the November 14, 2013 issue of The Springboro Star Press.
No debate means No choice

Xenia, OH

#29692 Dec 13, 2013
The Record Speaks Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
"The More You Know" protests too much in favor of re-instating (in the boardroom)
Malone's failed practices of status quo tunnel vision leadership. Obviously, you are not even
convinced that Malone's winning of only second place in his own popularity contest is a
victory for s-u-r-e.
WE BELIEVE that YOU are the only one who believes in your MSA insane arrogance.
Right, My vote counted for 5,000 + people last election.
Let Freedom Ring

Springboro, OH

#29693 Dec 13, 2013
No debate means No choice wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, My vote counted for 5,000 + people last election.
Your one Vote for Malone's Rude Arrogance and Revenge counted for just your
One Voice, One Vote. Elections come and go; even insane popularity loses its
glow; but the good influence of fair and balanced, common sense leadership is
here to stay in Springboro schools, and year after year, just grows and grows!

Thank Goodness "We the People" live in a Democracy,(not a dictatorship where ONE
voice takes it all) and in a Democracy, ALL citizens including our Minority Citizens, have equal representation, according to the law.

Welcome Aboard "No debate means No choice!" Let's Work Together doing what's
right for our schools and community! Looking forward to "Let Freedom Ring in the
New Year - 2014! It's going to be a great year for All students, school employees,
AND community residents!
Wednesday manifesto

Springboro, OH

#29694 Dec 13, 2013
The Record Speaks Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Our recent history of FIVE failed NEW money levies has challenged our district, but with our staff and teachers, we have met that challenge. With date-driven decisions and careful budgeting, we have reallocated resources to do MORE for our kids without asking our community for higher taxes.
The budget through 2017 includes busing for all grades and a program to spend more than $2.1 million on new buses; more than $2 million in textbooks and curriculum adoption; over $3.7 million in capital needs and deferred maintenance; and more than $1.1 million in new
technology; as well as our current staff salaries and benefits. these needs are met in the five-year forecast even with the lower renewal levy. How is this possible?
With every step, we are proving that this district--with its record of excellence--is sustainable with an even lower tax burden. We are meeting and exceeding state mandates as well as local expectations. We are building a technology backbone, investing in computers, curriculum, buses and buildings. Most important, we are being honest about what is needed through 2017. This is reform at the local level, and this is working together toward
sustainability.
- adopted from a blog post by Springboro Board of Education Member, David Petroni
Overwhelming support for the progress made by our current board in the past two years
is now PROVEN record by the overwhelming approval by voters of our November 5th renewal levy that saves taxpayers $6.5 million! Special Thanks to our current board members, Kelly Kohls, Jim Rigano, David Petroni, Don Miller, and Wendy Kull for
working together, putting Students First, while maintaining fiscal integrity!
"As you know, great things happen in our schools each and every day. They happen because we work together--students, families and parents, teachers and staff, and our community on behalf of our students. These are truly community schools, and that was reflected in the voters' approval of Issue 14. Again, thank you."
-Todd Petrey, Superintendent, comments made in thanks for passing levy renewal,
in the November 14, 2013 issue of The Springboro Star Press.
Snow is on the way later tonight. You may want to begin thinking about shutting off that important computer keyboard of yours so that you can stock up on vital groceries. For everyones' sake, be sure you don't forget to stop at your pharmacy to pick up a refill of your prescribed psych meds.
Wednesday manifesto

Springboro, OH

#29695 Dec 13, 2013
Spread the Great News wrote:
...in the direction of Beliefs Worth Living,
Keeping Our Springboro Schools and Community
WE BELIEVE the only one who believes your BS...is YOU!
Let Freedom Ring

Springboro, OH

#29696 Dec 13, 2013
Wednesday manifesto wrote:
<quoted text>
WE BELIEVE the only one who believes your BS...is YOU!
God Bless America AND Your One Belief, no matter how severely misguided!
Your beliefs only affect you, either in a positive or negative manner.

Stay on the blog with us and you may be surprised at how much you can learn from
your fellow citizens with differing beliefs! Who knows? Perhaps it will help "cool" your hostility toward those on this blog, whose differing BELIEFS seem to have become your repetitive obsession. You can't change others beliefs, and just like a fanatic, it
appears you can't let go and change the subject. Happy Snow Day!
Come Grow With Us

Springboro, OH

#29697 Dec 13, 2013
..... in the direction of leadership!

If there is a sense of turbulence in our community, it has been manufactured by those who oppose change, wish to suffocate debates they would lose, and return to the days of endless levies, punitive actions against our citizens, and never ending financial emergencies within the district. Let's stay on this new course of our current board's successful Children's First Budget reform minded agenda and move in the direction of leadership for our children,
schools, and community. The fear of change will not chase our community back into the darkness of previously failed practices.

Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners are optimistic that Mr. Anderson, Mr.
Malone, and Mr. Stuckey have the ability to get on board in support of the progress our board has made in the past two years putting our students first while maintaining fiscal integrity, and get to work for our schools and community with Mr. Rigano and Mr. Petroni, leading in the direction of opportunity for everyone -- Our students, teachers, families and
our community!
Boro Future Brighter

Springboro, OH

#29698 Dec 13, 2013
...in the direction of Beliefs Worth Living,
Keeping Our Springboro Schools and Community
Both SAFE and AFFORDABLE!

Look at Today and the Future! We Support the Progress Made in The Past Two Years!

WE BELIEVE over taxation of the taxpayers is wrong!

WE BELIEVE in supporting the amount of necessary taxation required to do the job correctly.

WE BELIEVE that excess tax money in any government body tends to inspire creative ways to spend that money.

WE BELIEVE transparency, from budgeting to policy formulation to meetings, leads to good governance in all levels of government.

WE BELIEVE in order to deliver the highest level of education we must raise the bar well past the state minimums and strive to
challenge our children, parents, and staff to reach higher. We can and must do better, our children's future depends on our actions today.

WE BELIEVE that allocating resources from areas of less demand to areas of greater demand is one common sense approach to resolving
needs in our schools. Federal and state mandates many preclude some reallocation, but we are still left with a sizable amount to influence.

WE BELIEVE that in order to take advantage of the higher level classes at the high school, more children must be put on that track at earlier grade levels. We support Mr. Petrey's move towards emphasis on more development in the earliest grade levels. While not all children will eventually end in a calculus class in high school, we can certainly better prepare them all for post graduate success. And that benefits everyone.

WE BELIEVE that the future belongs to technology. It is absolutely essential that we recognize technology not as a means to an end, but as a conduit through which knowledge flows. Much like the wires that flow to our houses bringing electricity, our technology investments are being made to ensure the future flow of knowledge to our children.

WE BELIEVE that leveraging school fees, services, personnel decisions, safety, or infrastructure maintenance to threaten families in order to influence regular or levy elections is wrong.

WE BELIEVE, as Mr. Petrey stated in the November 14, 2013 issue of Springboro Star Press, expressing Thanks to the Community for Passing Renewal Levy:

This district has come a long way from the divisiveness of past levy campaigns, and we did so by listening to many voices and many perspectives. We hope you all will stay informed and involved. As you know, great things happen in our schools each and every day. They happen because we work together--students, families and parents, teachers and staff, and our community -- on behalf of our students. These are truly community schools, and that was reflected in the voters' approval of Issue 14.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#29699 Dec 14, 2013
Let Freedom Ring wrote:
<quoted text>
God Bless America AND Your One Belief, no matter how severely misguided!
Your beliefs only affect you, either in a positive or negative manner.
Stay on the blog with us and you may be surprised at how much you can learn from
your fellow citizens with differing beliefs! Who knows? Perhaps it will help "cool" your hostility toward those on this blog, whose differing BELIEFS seem to have become your repetitive obsession. You can't change others beliefs, and just like a fanatic, it
appears you can't let go and change the subject. Happy Snow Day!
You should be directing this to Grow With Us and Boro Future Brighter. Thery are JUST as repetitive (that was my point, thanks for proving it).

Just like 'certain' news stations, some here figure that if you repeat something long enough, it becomes reality.

As for my beliefs, I would seem to be with the majority according to the election of MSA to the school board.

Change is coming, be ready.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#29700 Dec 14, 2013
Boro Future Brighter wrote:
...in the direction of Beliefs Worth Living,
Keeping Our Springboro Schools and Community
WE BELIEVE you are a very lonely person who never has any fresh and new ideas.
Not so much

Springboro, OH

#29701 Dec 14, 2013
The Record Speaks Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Our recent history of FIVE failed NEW money levies has challenged our district, but with our staff and teachers, we have met that challenge. With date-driven decisions and careful budgeting, we have reallocated resources to do MORE for our kids without asking our community for higher taxes.
The budget through 2017 includes busing for all grades and a program to spend more than $2.1 million on new buses; more than $2 million in textbooks and curriculum adoption; over $3.7 million in capital needs and deferred maintenance; and more than $1.1 million in new
technology; as well as our current staff salaries and benefits. these needs are met in the five-year forecast even with the lower renewal levy. How is this possible?
With every step, we are proving that this district--with its record of excellence--is sustainable with an even lower tax burden. We are meeting and exceeding state mandates as well as local expectations. We are building a technology backbone, investing in computers, curriculum, buses and buildings. Most important, we are being honest about what is needed through 2017. This is reform at the local level, and this is working together toward
sustainability.
- adopted from a blog post by Springboro Board of Education Member, David Petroni
Overwhelming support for the progress made by our current board in the past two years
is now PROVEN record by the overwhelming approval by voters of our November 5th renewal levy that saves taxpayers $6.5 million! Special Thanks to our current board members, Kelly Kohls, Jim Rigano, David Petroni, Don Miller, and Wendy Kull for
working together, putting Students First, while maintaining fiscal integrity!
"As you know, great things happen in our schools each and every day. They happen because we work together--students, families and parents, teachers and staff, and our community on behalf of our students. These are truly community schools, and that was reflected in the voters' approval of Issue 14. Again, thank you."
-Todd Petrey, Superintendent, comments made in thanks for passing levy renewal,
in the November 14, 2013 issue of The Springboro Star Press.
Do you have any other proof of this overwhelming support for the current board that you constantly speak of? I mean, the passage of the levy was not proof of this. The passage of the levy indicates overwhelming support for our teachers and children and in NO way proves support of this current joke of a school board. I voted FOR the levy and I DO NOT support the current board. So, if you have any actual proof that the community overwhelmingly supports this board, I'd like to hear it.(Just saying there is overwhelming support does not make it so. You seem to think if you say something, that makes it true. Unfortunately for you, we are far more discerning than that.) If there were such overwhelming support for this board, would those who promised to continue their policies - Kolton and Vaughn - have been voted in?

Judged:

11

11

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Boro Future Brighter

Springboro, OH

#29702 Dec 14, 2013
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
WE BELIEVE you are a very lonely person who never has any fresh and new ideas.
The proven record of our successful ""Children's First Budgeting" progress made in the past two years, resulting in fresh, new ideas, including increased pay for every school employee and renewal levy that saves Springboro families $6.5 million in school taxes is "good company" enough for MY BELIEFS in a brighter "than every before" future...

in the direction of OPPORTUNITY for everyone-- Our Students, Teachers, Families, and Our Community.

However, as an overburdened Springboro Taxpayer, I am always "shopping around" for
a better deal, looking for ways that our local school government leaders can get "more educational bang" for our hard-earned bucks! The simple truth is that "It doesn't take more money; It Takes more accountability, putting the financial EMPHASIS on our Students First
highest academic potential, while maintaining fiscal integrity, living within the framework of our children's first budgeting "five year forecast."

With our current board's reform minded Vision, financial expertise, and Strong, Common
Sense Leadership Skills, it is now proven that our school district is meeting and exceeding state mandates as well as local expectations. We are building a technology backbone, investing in computers, curriculum, buses and buildings -- Putting Our Children First.

Most Important, we are being honest about what is needed through 2017! This is reform at the local level, and this is working together toward sustainability .... for the NEXT FIVE YEARS! As a Taxpayer, I'm always "yearning for Knowledge" from new board members-elect, as to where they stand, on our school district's insanely popular PRINCIPLES of highest academic achievement for ALL our students, while maintaining fiscal responsibility.
That's where our current board is at; that's where our school superintendent is at; and as proven by overwhelming approval of November 5th reduced renewal levy, that's where Springboro Taxpayers are at.

Can you tell us on what principles for sustaining our quality classroom education
(including investing in computers, curriculum, bases and buildings) do YOU BELIEVE
that are different from our school district's current "five year forecast" financial plan?
Taxpayers are yearning for KNOWLEDGE on ways to get MORE educational bang for students first; with our hard earned school tax dollars. Can you please educate Springboro taxpayers as to why YOU think what WE BELIEVE opposes what YOU BELIEVE?
What are YOUR Financial Beliefs .... in the direction of a Brighter future for All our students, school employees and community taxpayers?
Uno Voter

Springboro, OH

#29703 Dec 14, 2013
Not so much wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any other proof of this overwhelming support for the current board that you constantly speak of? I mean, the passage of the levy was not proof of this. The passage of the levy indicates overwhelming support for our teachers and children and in NO way proves support of this current joke of a school board. I voted FOR the levy and I DO NOT support the current board. So, if you have any actual proof that the community overwhelmingly supports this board, I'd like to hear it.(Just saying there is overwhelming support does not make it so. You seem to think if you say something, that makes it true. Unfortunately for you, we are far more discerning than that.) If there were such overwhelming support for this board, would those who promised to continue their policies - Kolton and Vaughn - have been voted in?
I BELIEVE that "Not so much" is very much a Stupid person, having or showing little intelligence, as PROVEN by comments in the above "Not so much" post.
Come Grow With Us

Springboro, OH

#29704 Dec 14, 2013
...in the direction of Beliefs Worth Living,
Keeping Our Springboro Schools and Community
Both SAFE and AFFORDABLE!

Look at Today and the Future! We Support the Progress Made in The Past Two Years!

WE BELIEVE over taxation of the taxpayers is wrong!

WE BELIEVE in supporting the amount of necessary taxation required to do the job correctly.

WE BELIEVE that excess tax money in any government body tends to inspire creative ways to spend that money.

WE BELIEVE transparency, from budgeting to policy formulation to meetings, leads to good governance in all levels of government.

WE BELIEVE in order to deliver the highest level of education we must raise the bar well past the state minimums and strive to
challenge our children, parents, and staff to reach higher. We can and must do better, our children's future depends on our actions today.

WE BELIEVE that allocating resources from areas of less demand to areas of greater demand is one common sense approach to resolving
needs in our schools. Federal and state mandates many preclude some reallocation, but we are still left with a sizable amount to influence.

WE BELIEVE that in order to take advantage of the higher level classes at the high school, more children must be put on that track at earlier grade levels. We support Mr. Petrey's move towards emphasis on more development in the earliest grade levels. While not all children will eventually end in a calculus class in high school, we can certainly better prepare them all for post graduate success. And that benefits everyone.

WE BELIEVE that the future belongs to technology. It is absolutely essential that we recognize technology not as a means to an end, but as a conduit through which knowledge flows. Much like the wires that flow to our houses bringing electricity, our technology investments are being made to ensure the future flow of knowledge to our children.

WE BELIEVE that leveraging school fees, services, personnel decisions, safety, or infrastructure maintenance to threaten families in order
to influence regular or levy elections is wrong.

WE BELIEVE, as Mr. Petrey stated in the November 14, 2013 issue of Springboro Star Press, expressing Thanks to the Community for Passing
Renewal Levy:

This district has come a long way from the divisiveness of past levy campaigns, and we did so by listening to many voices and many perspectives.
We hope you all will stay informed and involved. As you know, great things happen in our schools each and every day. They happen because
we work together--students, families and parents, teachers and staff, and our community -- on behalf of our students. These are truly community schools, and that was reflected in the voters' approval of Issue 14.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 10 hr Judith Feinberg 19,478
pants up, don't loot! 15 hr The New Cool Warrior 2
It was fun, seeing MSNBC's Chrissy the Sissy Ha... 16 hr The Hack Checker 1
Sheela Angel in East Dayton 21 hr Fact 2
I aint black an' I ain't on crack... Mon The Duke of Hazard 1
Is anyone related to frank price Mon R D price 1
Check out the new MJ's on Jefferson Mon wendyw 1
Xenia Dating
Find my Match

Xenia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Xenia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Xenia

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:24 pm PST

NBC Sports12:24PM
Dolphins bring back cornerback R.J. Stanford
NBC Sports12:49 PM
Bengals kicker Nugent perfect since overtime miss - NBC Sports
ESPN12:58 PM
Bengals' Smith (torn triceps) goes on IR
Bleacher Report 8:54 PM
What Experts Are Saying About Bucs vs. Bengals?
Bleacher Report 9:21 PM
How Gordon Tore Apart Falcons in Week 12