Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments (Page 1,407)

Showing posts 28,121 - 28,140 of31,100
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
No debate means No choice

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

SCARE TACTICS ARE FOR THE WEAK!

Can anyone answer how we will end up with a UNION CONTROLLED board when only 1 of the 5 candidate have belonged to a union.(Unless Bitner and Vaughn have and aren't admitting it, they never show up to answer questions because they cannot think for themselves).

Part of being in an election is running and putting everything out for the public to base a decision on (including the company you work for, which Vaugn did but Bitner didn't).

Makes one ask :

What are they hiding?
What are they afraid of?
What kind of representatives would they be?

Only candidates who have the fortitude to show up for public debates deserve to be considered.

Only the EDUCATED should lead our EDUCATORS.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

State funding for schools (Dayton Daily News 11/03/13)

Is it up or down? It depends on who is doing the accounting.

OSBA claims that state funding is down $607 million from the 2010-11 budget to the current 2014-15 budget. Lehner, on the other hand, says overall state funding to schools has decreased only one year out of the past 25, pointing to the early 1990s.

The discrepancy is over one-time federal money. OSBA counts as state funding $933 million in federal stimulus money that the state directed to schools for 2010-11, because the Strickland administration counted it that way. Lehner says the stimulus artificially raised state spending figures, making them appear to drop in 2012 when the stimulus money went away.

Only the OSBA, the lobbying arm of the teachers union,( the organization Ron Malone wishes to rejoin ) would make such a preposterous claim. One time "emergency" funding from the feds stimulus boondoggle does not equate to regular predictable funding from the taxpayers of Ohio.

With part of our stimulus money our district bought books it did not need and did not use. Most are still in boxes in storage, as they have been for the past three years.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

No debate means No choice wrote:
<quoted text>
Knowing your support of the current board majority and their insintance on bringing church, right wing radicals and racists into our schools system it is my hope I never seem logical to you. Your ideal of logic is obviously not mine.
Plus your support waivers with the wind.(90,000) was it? No mention of A in your last 2 posts?
I fully support Mr. Anderson as a man who has a combination of factors in his favor that none of the other candidates possess. We will get to him shortly.

But now back to Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn.

The DDN article on funding led to this segueway on a few other concepts Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn believe in as compared to Mr. Malone.

We believe over taxation of the taxpayers is wrong!

We believe in supporting the amount of NECESSARY taxation required to do the job correctly.

We believe that excess tax money in any government body tends to inspire creative ways to spend that money.

We believe transparency, from budgeting to policy formulation to meetings, leads to good governance in all levels of government

If you have been around the community for a few years you will note that just about every levy that came up was supported by Ron Malone. Whether it was the ill conceived Fire Levy that was totally unnecessary or the multitude of levies the school district ran, Mr. Malone was there endorsing their passage.
Lerxst

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Can anyone answer how we will end up with a UNION CONTROLLED board when only 1 of the 5 candidate have belonged to a union.
How many times does the question have to be answered before you stop asking the same question? It has been answered twice. See below.

AtLeastUrLiesR Consistant: "Stuckey has been a member of the SEA. Malone's wife is a member of the SEA. Anderson's wife is a former teacher. There are certainly bias in those affiliations. I also noticed that Bitner did release the name of his company way back when someone asked him (I still don't understand how that information was relevant). It was even plastered all over facebook on a meme that was created by your friend Stephanie Bindemann. So I'm SURE you saw it and are only trying to perpetuate false information once again."

And

Doug Weideman: "Union controlled boards are elected with the aid and support of the union, its membership, and its supporters.

Unfortunately for the taxpayers they often repay their supporters kindness from the largesse of the taxpayers.

Winning friends and influencing people with other people's money."
BV for BOE

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Our concern is for the children getting the best education we are able to provide given our resourses in children, parents, teachers, administrators and financial support provided by the community.
While others in this race may have been involved in contentious fights with the board, we were not. We ask for your vote to support the future of our children.
common sense

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

I'm with Wiedeman. There are three vacating board seats. Each and every district voter should consider casting THREE ballots for candidates who they feel would do the best job for our students as well as for the entire community.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>

If you have been around the community for a few years you will note that just about every levy that came up was supported by Ron Malone. Whether it was the ill conceived Fire Levy that was totally unnecessary or the multitude of levies the school district ran, Mr. Malone was there endorsing their passage.
About the only money issue Mr. Malone was silent about was the looting of the boosters funds.

Amazingly Mr. Malone never publicly called for booster cooperation with the Budget and Finance Committee or the subsequent misdirected hysteria that followed the discovery of the looting from booster leadership.

Hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of dollars disappear during Mr. Malone's watch and not a peep.
Hooray for Us

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

BV for BOE wrote:
Our concern is for the children getting the best education we are able to provide given our resourses in children, parents, teachers, administrators and financial support provided by the community.
While others in this race may have been involved in contentious fights with the board, we were not. We ask for your vote to support the future of our children.
Hooray for Us!
Only TWO more days to spread the Great News!
On Tuesday, November 5th
Don't feel obligated to Vote for three!
You can Vote for Just Two!
Vote for Bitner/Vaughn!
**Your ONLY Two Conservative Candidates**

This is a pivotal school board election because it will set the direction – either a return to the past with a union controlled school board, or continuing in a fiscally responsible manner ensuring that meeting kids’ educational needs are the first priority. The school board exists to represent the interests of parents and the public providing a check and balance to assure the school system meets the needs of the community.

Parent and community representation are critical. David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn are both parents of children enrolled in Springboro Schools and have committed to making education their top priority, and like me, they support the “Children First” philosophy.

Two of David’s and Kolton’s opponents – Ron Malone, former high school principal and David Stuckey a former teacher – retired this last year. Electing these two and their partner Charles Anderson would create a school board where none of the 5 members is parent with children enrolled in school. It would be monolithic board of 5 old men (that includes me). My advice is to elect a couple of men with young kids to the board. The school district already has 400 employees with Education background and experience.

Unions are doing to public education what they have done to GM and Crysler. Quality of education is declining as the unions force more money into compensation and away from improving the product – highly educated children. The result is persistent requests for additional taxes as the school system’s resources are drained.

Our board has been able to strike a balance that is sustainable, but negotiations will begin again in March 2015. The teacher’s union supports the Malone, Stuckey, Anderson ticket and hopes to get two very friendly allies on the school board. It is important to have Bitner and Vaughn on the board as advocates for parents and children during the next round of negotiations. A union controlled board will place priority on meeting the desires of its members.

I hope you are as tired of the controversy surrounding the school board as I am. The controversy has been exaggerated by MSA’s supporters to gain advantage and influence this election against the incumbent board members. The best way to move beyond the controversy is to not perpetuate it by electing one side then the next repeatedly. Bitner and Vaughn are independent thinkers without allegiance to any faction. Let’s end the controversy by electing them.
fallout from Utube lies

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

The following is an exerpt from topix Powell Ohio thread..."pay no attention to lies from Olentangy United"

Concerned
Columbus OH

"TeaBaggers have no business in our schools. I am all for being "fiscally conservative" on many issues. One area I am not is when it comes to education."

"Extracurricular activities WILL 100% be cut under the Teabaggers platform. Its a FACT. When you make budget cuts the first things to get cut are the arts, sports, clubs, PTO etc... These are VITAL in keeping our kids active in the community. It gives them OWNERSHIP of their school. Take them away and watch what happens."

"Why are Springsboro Tea Baggers so interested in Olentangy? Really ask yourself that question. If people in Springsboro think there school system so great they really have done NO research in where they stand comparatively speaking. This is the problem I have with the Tea Party taking over my Republican party. They totally ignore the facts of any argument. They use vague terms like "your not American" and "Christians are being persecuted". They ignore facts and the facts are that if TeaBaggers are elected to the school board we will all pay dearly especially our kids"
School District Voter

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

common sense wrote:
I'm with Wiedeman. There are three vacating board seats. Each and every district voter should consider casting THREE ballots for candidates who they feel would do the best job for our students as well as for the entire community.
Spread the Great News!

On Tuesday, November 5th
Don't feel obligated to vote for three!
You can vote for just two!
If YOU believe, as Bitner/Vaughn believe, that the two
conservative school board candidates MUST be elected in
FIRST and SECOND, as our next TWO school board representatives, then please join us in voting for the only TWO conservatives
running for school board election!

I hope you are as tired of the controversy surrounding the school board as I am. The controversy has been exaggerated by MSA’s supporters to gain advantage and influence this election against the incumbent board members. The best way to move beyond the controversy is to not perpetuate it by electing one side then the next repeatedly. Bitner and Vaughn are independent thinkers without allegiance to any faction. Let’s end the controversy by electing them.

Don't feel obligated to Vote for Three!
You can vote for a conservative majority win by just voting
for the TWO conservative candidates
DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN!

On Tuesday, November 5th!
Vote YES! YES for BITNER/VAUGHN!
VOTE YES! FOR Renewal Levy that saves taxpayers $6.5 million!NER/VAUGH
Waste Watchers

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
About the only money issue Mr. Malone was silent about was the looting of the boosters funds.
Amazingly Mr. Malone never publicly called for booster cooperation with the Budget and Finance Committee or the subsequent misdirected hysteria that followed the discovery of the looting from booster leadership.
Hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of dollars disappear during Mr. Malone's watch and not a peep.
... and not a peep of an apology from Mr. Wiedeman in his lies posted on the Topix blog, falsely accusing Springboro parent/
BOE President, Dr. Kelly Kohls of allowing $90,000 of taxpayers money get away "under her watch."

... and not a peep of Thank You in public meetings from Springboro parents in appreciation of our current board's vote to REDUCE the pay to play sports fees; but, both Tiffany Carlisle AND Lisa Babb have publicly blamed our current board for reducing the pay to play fees.

Inquiring minds wonder how could parents of kids who play sports have been so blinded all those years by our insanely popular high school principal and our god-like sports coaches to allow them to take advantange of their own children in such careless financial management, allowing this theft and such total disregard to school district policy and by by-laws to continue for so many years;
until Dr. Kelly Kohls came on board in 2010 and started asking
tough questions and demanding accountability?
Spread the Great News

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Spread the Great News!
On Tuesday, November 5th

DON'T FEEL OBLIGATED TO VOTE FOR THREE!

YOU CAN VOTE FOR JUST TWO!

VOTE YOUR BELIEF!

VOTE FOR BITNER/VAUGHN FOR SCHOOL BOARD
**YOUR CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATES**

Why do I support Bitner and Vaughn?

They believe in some basic truths about our school system and the way we need to move to improve them.

BELIEVE
• We believe in order to deliver the highest level of education we must
raise the bar well past the state minimums and strive to challenge
our children, parents, and staff to reach higher. We can and must do
better, our children’s future depends on our actions today.

• We believe that allocating resources from areas of less demand to areas
of greater demand is one common sense approach to resolving needs
in our schools. Federal and state mandates may preclude some
reallocation, but we are still left with a sizable amount to influence.

• We believe that in order to take advantage of the higher level classes at the
high school, more children must be put on that track at earlier grade levels.
We support Mr. Petrey’s move towards emphasis on more development in
the earliest grade levels. While not all children will eventually end in a
calculus class in high school, we can certainly better prepare them all for
post graduate success. And that benefits everyone.

• We believe that the future belongs to technology. It is absolutely essential
that we recognize technology not as a means to an end, but as a conduit
through which knowledge flows. Much like the wires that flow to our
houses bringing electricity, our technology investments are being made to
ensure the future flow of knowledge to our children.

• We believe that leveraging school fees, services, personnel decisions,
safety, or infrastructure maintenance to threaten families in order to
influence regular or levy elections is wrong.

If YOU believe as Bitner/Vaugh believe, then
please join us in voting to elect BOTH
conservative candidates, David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn as our next TWO board representatives!
School District Voter

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Don't feel obligated to Vote for Three!
You can vote for a conservative majority win by just voting
for the TWO conservative candidates

On Tuesday, November 5th!
Vote YES! YES for BITNER/VAUGHN!
VOTE YES! FOR Renewal Levy that saves taxpayers $6.5 million

This important election on November 5th is not about electing a lesser liberal third candidate of the MSA Threesome...

This important election on November 5th is ALL
about electing A MAJORITY OF 2 CONSERVATIVES as our next TWO board representatives,

It's For Our Children, Our Community, and
Toward a Better Future for Our Schools!

Maineville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Can anyone answer how we will end up with a UNION CONTROLLED board when only 1 of the 5 candidate have belonged to a union.(Unless Bitner and Vaughn have and aren't admitting it, they never show up to answer questions because they cannot think for themselves).

Part of being in an election is running and putting everything out for the public to base a decision on (including the company you work for, which Vaugn did but Bitner didn't).

One must ask:

What are they hiding?
What are they afraid of?

Only candidates who have the fortitude to show up for public debates deserve to be considered.

partisan

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Waste Watchers wrote:
<quoted text>
... and not a peep of an apology from Mr. Wiedeman in his lies posted on the Topix blog, falsely accusing Springboro parent/
BOE President, Dr. Kelly Kohls of allowing $90,000 of taxpayers money get away "under her watch."
... and not a peep of Thank You in public meetings from Springboro parents in appreciation of our current board's vote to REDUCE the pay to play sports fees; but, both Tiffany Carlisle AND Lisa Babb have publicly blamed our current board for reducing the pay to play fees.
Inquiring minds wonder how could parents of kids who play sports have been so blinded all those years by our insanely popular high school principal and our god-like sports coaches to allow them to take advantange of their own children in such careless financial management, allowing this theft and such total disregard to school district policy and by by-laws to continue for so many years;
until Dr. Kelly Kohls came on board in 2010 and started asking
tough questions and demanding accountability?
I think you are missing the bigger picture....the enemy of my enemy is my Friend. I am thankful for what Kelly Kohls has helped us with, but since she decided not the run again, we have a big gap that needs filling. I think we should put aside issues some of you have with Doug, and concentrate on the bigger issue....seeing to it the pro union candidates don't take control of the board. I for one, do not want to go back to the dark ages ( a school levy every year).
partisan

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

One must ask:
What are they hiding?
What are they afraid of?
I will never vote for union backed candidates...NEVER !
Another View

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

One must ask:
What are they hiding?
What are they afraid of?
As a concerned Springboro citizen, and a voter in this school district, I attended both of the public meetings that were open to the community by the two conservative school board candidates,
DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN, introduced myself to the candidates and their wives, enjoyed light refreshments, and spirited conversation, asked BOTH candidates lots of questions about their philosophy of leadership so that I could decide if voting for these TWO candidates would FIT my beliefs, in which
we share common ground.

So to answer YOUR question:

This ONE voter can only answer what I found out:

They are hiding nothing;

They are not fearful of the changes taking place in our children's 21st century classroom education;

They are not fearful of challenging the status quo where need be;

And they have the Will and the Skill to meet the challenges that are ahead for our students and teachers.

BOTH David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn ARE supportive of the progress made in the past two years of our current board's winning agenda
of putting Students First while maintaining fiscal integity;

BOTH David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn believe that leveraging school fees, services, personnel decisions, safety, or infrastructure maintenance to threaten families in order to influence regular or levy elections is wrong;

BOTH David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn support the Renewal levy that saves taxpayers $6.5 million;

BOTH David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn extended invitations to
all to contact them at any time with questions and they would always LISTEN to concerns;

If you have other concerns or questions, then please consider
visiting their website www.SupportBoroStudents.com

.... this ONE has always recieved a prompt and courteous reply to
my concerns; therefore, the way I see it, both David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn are willing to listen YOUR personal concerns;

my one question to you is Why do think you have to air YOUR concerns "publicly?" Haven't we had enough "pre-arranged"
hostility and interrogation in this school district in front of the TV news cameras?
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Congratulations to Mallory Fletcher for finishing 29th in the state cross country meet yesterday.

Had our woman's cross country team managed to eek out one more point in last week's regional we would have had a excellent shot at finishing in the money in the state finals. We handily beat Beavercreek in the GWOC three weeks earlier, and they finished second.

http://oh.milesplit.com/meets/155546/results/...
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Our boys golf team also had and outstanding year with a sixth place finish in the state.

Jake Gilkison was tied for 7th best in the state, followed by Jack Ford tied at 17th best in the state

http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports/go/boys/2013/bd1t...

Maineville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

partisan wrote:
<quoted text>
I will never vote for union backed candidates...NEVER !
So union's can make your car(s), deliver the energy to your house and entertain you at the theatre and on tv...

But teaching your kids is where you draw the line?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 28,121 - 28,140 of31,100
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Xenia Discussions

Search the Xenia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 10 min Canton 29,031
looking for a text buddy (Nov '12) 45 min Javier 40
mentally ill FELONS! 13 hr masterofconcretepourers 3
Brits want to stop female genital mutilation! 20 hr The Hack Checker 1
Let's remember our constitution and national debt. 20 hr The Hack Checker 1
EPA: Vapor intrusion in Ohio suburb more serious 20 hr Loony Lib 3
Mechanic who built first aircraft engine for Wr... 20 hr Loony Lib 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Xenia Jobs

•••