Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31918 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

No debate means No choice

Tipp City, OH

#28475 Oct 30, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
No that is what it means, not out of the number who took the test, it is against which were in the overall population pool of the 12th grade class.
Had Mr. Malone heeded the clarion call from the High Schools That Works program advising to increase the strength of his curriculum, we may have indeed risen to such lofty heights. Instead we are toiling a distant #97 when such resource laden schools like Waynesville, Lebanon, and Monroe are busy kicking our academic tail according to USNEWS rankings.
If you can drag your mouse across the number on the ranking page it will be more than happy to define it for you.
Good luck with this endeavor, it won't be as challenging as you believe.
Our readers will be looking for your retraction and correction.
True the 21 is out of 100. Sorry for my mis-read. However, Lebanon is at a 30, Monroe is at a 22 and Waynesville is at a 29. So, as I've always stated your numbers should always be taken in context. We rank #97 out of 892. Not sure how being in the top p 15% of high schools in the state is bad, but you can have your own opinion.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28476 Oct 31, 2013
No debate means No choice wrote:
<quoted text>
True the 21 is out of 100. Sorry for my mis-read. However, Lebanon is at a 30, Monroe is at a 22 and Waynesville is at a 29. So, as I've always stated your numbers should always be taken in context. We rank #97 out of 892. Not sure how being in the top p 15% of high schools in the state is bad, but you can have your own opinion.
They way I have always heard our district being described was with a 40% gifted population.

Given our obvious resources with a student population which has 40% gifted children, awesome teachers, great facilities, and lots of electives, should we be so far behind Lebanon, Waynesville, or Centerville?

Just think if the prior principal, Mr. Malone, had put as much effort into running an academic powerhouse as he did into cultivating his own personal cult of personality where our kids would be now?

The difference between those schools that are high rated and us who barely edges out Franklin and Carlisle are the amount of kids involved in a culture of high expectations.

In our school its 1 out of 5, in really good schools its more like 1 out of 2.

Considering the fact that 90% or so of our kids go onto college, it seems like it might have be a good idea to have a real college prep program in place rather than one that discourages academic challenges.

The professional peers who evaluated our program of study came to the same conclusions when the Warren County Education Service Center had a chance to issue its reports for the High Schools That Works program.

page 10 2nd paragraph

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxs0_xA64y_HS...

"SHS still offers general level classes (Algebra 1A and 1B, physical science, US History, and World History). Thus, not all students experience a college-preparatory curriculum. Documents provided to the TAV Team indicate that contrary to the High Schools That Works philosophy, SHS believes that offering low-level courses is in the best interest of students. This belief, however, WAS NOT SUBSTANTIATED by research or data."

Mr. Malone had 13 years at the helm.

What are his primary accomplishments?

Dumbing down the strength and rigor of our children's curriculum.

Kids might be fooled due to lack of real world experience, thinking adults have such reason.
Waste Watchers

Springfield, OH

#28478 Oct 31, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Malone had 13 years at the helm.
What are his primary accomplishments?
Dumbing down the strength and rigor of our children's curriculum.
Kids might be fooled due to lack of real world experience, thinking adults have such reason.
According to the new 2013 ODE High School Report Card, 22% of our high school students scored 65% or below on the OGT last year.
1 out of 4 of our students fail the State standardized test- how could that be when we are told that 40% of our students are gifted? Someone is dropping the ball big time! And WHO is accountable for this poor performance?
Former SHS principal,Dr. Ron Malone, who is now running with former teacher and coach, David Stuckey, to take back "their board" and re-define the role of the board member.
And why do these two professional educators want to take back their board and re-define the role of a school board member?
Simply put, to ensure that concerned Springboro parents, like Dr. Kelly Kohls, never get on the "inside" of what's going on in
their children's classrooms, with a union teacher controlling the classroom curriculum of unionism indoctrination. You see, the
only hope the union has of controlling our school tax dollars, is to keep control of our children's minds, with a union teacher in every classroom, teaching the politics of Unionism gain; instead of INVESTING our school tax dollars to RAISING THE BAR FOR STUDENTS AND QUALITY CLASSROOM TEACHERS.
That's why the union activists are trying so hard to discredit
Dr. Kelly Kohls' good leadership; accusing Dr. Kohls of having interest in political gain; because up until 2011 (AFTER Dr. Kelly Kohls came on board in Janaury 2010 and made this a big issue of
concern to parents) one out of four (23%) Springboro High school graduates could not meet the minimum competency requirements to get into Ohio State colleges. That's a very wasteful thing for
the inept leadership of Dr. Ron Malone to do with taxpayers' investment of our hard earned dollars in the future of our youth!
That's why Springboro Families and taxpaying homeowners need to
vote for Springboro Parents, David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn, as our next TWO elected board representatives.
Both Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn have an "inside" interest and understanding of what's happening now in our children's classrooms with a union teacher for every child.
Both Mr. Bitner and Mr.Vaughn, if elected, will work to raise the bar for students and teachers;
Both Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn will continue to challenge the staus quo where need be;
Both Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn believe that leveraging school fees, services, personnel decisions, safety, or infrastructure maintenance to threaten families in order to influence regular or levy elections is wrong.
Both Mr. Bitner and Mr.Vaughn support the Renewal levy that saves taxpayers $6.5 million!
If you believe as Bitner/Vaughn believes,
then please join us in voting your belief to elect BOTH
DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN as our next TWO board representatives.
WE BELIEVE the future of our schools and community depend up electing BOTH school board candidates, DAVID BITNER and KOLTON
VAUGHN, as our next TWO board representatives.... AND THAT'S A
GREAT TEAM!
Vote Bitner Vaughn

Springfield, OH

#28479 Oct 31, 2013
Do You Believe...Over taxation of the taxpayers is wrong?

Do you believe in supporting the amount of necessary taxation required to do the job correctly?

Do you believe that excess tax money in any government body tends to inspire creative ways to spend that money?

Do you believe transparency, from budgeting to policy formulaton to meetings, leads to good governamce in all levels of government?

If so, then please consider joining us and
Vote your beliefs on November 5, 2013.

VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN
as our next TWO elected board representatives!
David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn, if elected, will continue to challenge the status quo where need be!

Fresh ideas have allowed our district to sustain itself in an uncertain economy with NO new money required!

VOTE FOR RENEWAL LEVY THAT SAVES TAXPAYERS $6.5 MILLION!
School District Voter

Springfield, OH

#28480 Oct 31, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the union and the teachers themselves requested this assistance from the board to take advantage of evolving retirement payouts that would be less in the future.
Say thank you Board of Education.
How many leave in a normal year?
You know you can look that up on the transparency project?
You can go all the way back to 2008. Tally them up for us so we can see what percentage we lost each year as part of normal attrition.
Again, thank you Board of Education for the ability to perform such simple task in open view of the watching public.
And teachers who retire with 25 or 30 years will most likely be paid way more than replacements with 5 or so. In case you have never been in the private sector, that is the way it works in real life.
Now money that was being consumed by one teacher is able to provide employment for a new teacher and raises for a host of others.
Not a bad system.
Springboro Families and Taxpaying Homeowners owe a debt of gratitude and appreciation to our current board members for
their long hours of service and leadersip expertise, doing what's right for our school children and community! Thank You!

Special Thanks to our current board for bringing to the public
a unanimous VOTE for more pay for every school employee and reduced renewal levy for every Springboro family!

Thank You to Our Fabulous Five-- Kelly Kohls, Jim Rigano, David Petroni, Don Miller, Wendy Kuhl-- who have accomplished Absolutely Amazing and Wonderful things putting our Students First during the past two years!

Now we are on our way in the direction of common sense and sustainability... let's keep moving ahead by electing BOTH
David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn as our next TWO parents supporting Springboro students and maintaining fiscal integrity!

VOTE BITNER/VAUGHN!
VOTE RENEWAL LEVY!
November 5, 2013
Spread The Great News

Springfield, OH

#28481 Oct 31, 2013
STAY ALERT VOTERS!

ON TUESDAY,NOVEMBER 5th,

DON'T FEEL OBLIGATED TO VOTE FOR THREE!

YOU CAN VOTE FOR JUST TWO!

DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN
**Your Conservative Candidates**

Visit the website:
www.supportborostudents.com
Look it up

Springfield, OH

#28482 Oct 31, 2013
<quoted text>
Nice try again it isn't 21% it's 21 out of a possible score of 25 or 84%(It's an index, not a percentage).
You really don't know what you're talking about.
YOU clearly do not know what you are talking about. Go to the sources you fool. It is a % age. Our students all over this State fail the test and are called Proficient. This is a cruel HOAX.
VICTORY IS IN SIGHT

Ft Mitchell, KY

#28483 Oct 31, 2013
We need these TWO men to be a part of the Springboro school board. Help push Bitner and Vaughn to victory. I sent my donation today. Join me and send your donation too!

http://supportborostudents.com/index.php/dona...
Stop the lies

Springfield, OH

#28484 Oct 31, 2013
Recap wrote:
Let's just go over your list of accomplishments for a second and see exactly if it is truly the students or the parents that are benefitting from the changes - as I recall, the students should come first but I believe you will see for yourself, the students are last in line.
holding people accountable, uncovering
embezzlement that had gone on for years .... I'm glad that this was uncovered. However the board's decision to make public statements, directly opposing the wishes of the police, may not have helped the investigation, in fact some may say that it caused a hindrance. Also, holding one coach accountable without showing any just cause did not sit well with many students - so was this to help the parents or the students.
raising academic standards.... What is this statement based on? Exactly what standards have been raised - please be specific. From what I have seen, the HS has reduced the number of electives, limiting the classes students can take - hurting students.
increasing ACT scores.... How is this an accomplishment of the board? And from what DW has been touting on this site, Dr. Malone has done everything to reduce scores for the past five years (of which the board has been in power some of those years). If anything the ACT scores have been increased in spite of the board.
advocating for kids to take classes for college credit.... Yes, they are advocating for the students to leave the high school as soon as possible so they don't have to hire more teachers. Please show me some stats as to how this is really best for the student. When I was in school, you went through grades K-12 to prepare for college. This board believes you should be in college at the same time - all to reduce costs to parents.
restoring salary increases.... You have got to be kidding - how can this board take credit for restoring salary increases but not give credit to the teachers for agreeing to forgo salary increases to help the district - completely hypocritical. Also, wasn't it this board that refused to negotiate with the teachers which brought us near the point of a strike BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE THEM RAISES????
controlling runaway medical insurance costs.... Again, this is so hypocritical of this board to take all the credit for this when the teachers were completely willing to negotiate on this (and they did).
Gee wiz this board was honest and up front with their community? You say the police in Springboro told this board not to be honest with their community and to sweep everything under the rug? Did you get this from the police or just who told you that? If so than the police are a part of the problem. Why do you throw the police3 under the bus? I am sure they told them of this sort and why would they? Come on will you say anything that is the truth?

Gee wiz
Stop the lies

Springfield, OH

#28485 Oct 31, 2013
<quoted text>
ES stands for educatespringboro (Rigano & Petroni's PAC).
How do I find out more about them?

Give me their web site please
Name calling is old

Springfield, OH

#28486 Oct 31, 2013
Just read this great article in the Letters to the Editor in the current Springboro Star Press.
Thank You, Mr. Rigano.

Extremists, radicals, fanatics! Sounds like a scary Halloween tale. Add in the words “tea party” and that’s supposed to make it a true horror story. Unfortunately, this is where some in our community have taken the dialog surrounding our school board and the upcoming election. It’s time for Toto to pull back the curtain and for us to elevate the conversation.

For the record, I do believe in limited government, fiscal responsibility, and free markets. I also believe that a free society requires virtuous people and that children need to learn these concepts. How confusing it must be for them to watch the behavior of adults and the tenor of the debate around our schools.

What has the school board done to invite this wrath? We are trying to change things in a few areas and the system would rather not change. Just like in Washington, opponents to change assign their targets what they believe are derogatory labels - "tea party", "extremist", "fanatic". However, if you were to ask what has been done that is "fanatical", you’ll get nothing more than generalities that have little basis in fact and are distorted to sound extreme.

If you asked me about the school board’s record over the last two years I would tell you about holding people accountable, uncovering embezzlement that had gone on for years, raising academic standards, increasing ACT scores, advocating for kids to take classes for college credit, restoring salary increases, controlling runaway medical insurance costs, balancing the budget (and giving the excess back), providing services for gifted students, reducing pay-to-play fees and increasing student participation, upgrading technology for online learning, instituting bring your own technology, reinstating high school busing, reinstating textbook purchases, reinstating a building maintenance program, and correcting numerous other deficiencies from years of administrative neglect.

You might recognize these things are good and are already implemented in other districts and ask why has it taken so long to address them in Springboro? I don’t know, but compared to the lethargic past, this has been a pretty “radical” two years. And to do all this while lowering taxes you would have to conclude these two years have been “fanatically” amazing and “extremely” successful.

At this point you might ask what this has to do with the upcoming school board election. This election will set a direction, backward or forward. The supporters of Malone and Stuckey tell you the current board is too “extreme”. Compared to the stagnation they are accustomed to, that is understandable. The other candidates are David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn. They are parents with young children enrolled in the district who are motivated to encourage our schools to continue to innovate, to offer more opportunities, and to keep children the board’s first priority.

On November 5th, we will make a decision. Will we choose based on the record, or the labels?

Jim Rigano
Vice-president
Springboro Board of Education
What is true

Springfield, OH

#28487 Oct 31, 2013
<quoted text>
So you are saying we should take comfort in that other schools suck also?
ES endorses Anderson

Springfield, OH

#28488 Oct 31, 2013
Stop the lies wrote:
<quoted text>
How do I find out more about them?
Give me their web site please
EDUCATE SPRINGBORO endorses BITNER, VAUGHN and ANDERSON

http://educatespringboro.org/2013/10/23/in-th...

...Educate Springboro supports a slate of three candidates, Charles Anderson, David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn for Springboro Board of Education. David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn bring their perspective as parents, taxpayers and concerned citizens to provide more balance in board perspectives. We are also confident that with the addition of the business acumen Charles Anderson has accumulated in his many years of service to the community, our district can continue to be sustainable. Keeping our students as the first priority, supporting our teachers, and being the voice of the community in public education is our goal. The addition of Anderson, Bitner, and Vaughn aid us all in accomplishing that goal.

Educate Springboro is also FOR the renewal. Issue 14 is a reduced renewal levy. In good faith, we’ve balanced the budget and met our obligations. When it became clear that the district could meet its needs with less money, the board voted to request lower millage in the renewal levy in November. Not only have we proven that we can live within our means, but now every stakeholder in this district—our students and families, our staff and teachers, and the taxpayers--will benefit.

Please join Educate Springboro in voting

FOR DAVID BITNER for School Board, and

FOR KOLTON VAUGHN for School Board, and

FOR CHARLES ANDERSON for School Board, and

FOR ISSUE 14 for our school district.
VBA for BOE

Springfield, OH

#28489 Oct 31, 2013
Spread The Great News wrote:
STAY ALERT VOTERS!
ON TUESDAY,NOVEMBER 5th,
**Your Conservative Candidates**
Visit the website:
STAY ALERT VOTERS!
ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 5th,
DON'T DO THE SMART THING!
DO NOT FILL IN ALL THREE BOE BALLOT SPACES!
LEAVE PLENTY OF CHIPS LYING ATOP THE TABLE FOR THE OPPOSITION TO SNATCH UP!
Spread The Great News

Springfield, OH

#28490 Oct 31, 2013
VICTORY IS IN SIGHT wrote:
We need these TWO men to be a part of the Springboro school board. Help push Bitner and Vaughn to victory. I sent my donation today. Join me and send your donation too!
http://supportborostudents.com/index.php/dona...
STAY ALERT VOTERS!

ON THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 5th,

DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN!
**Your Conservatives Candidates**

Visit the website:
truth to power

Springfield, OH

#28491 Oct 31, 2013
What is true wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. When placed next to most of the rest of the globe, America's public education system sucks. Comparing public schools in America is like a group of neighbors meeting at the curb to randomly compare and contrast the overall cleanliness of each others rollout garbage cans. If we're going to ever get serious about education in America we need to start being honest with ourselves.
Question Everything

Springfield, OH

#28492 Oct 31, 2013
ES endorses Anderson wrote:
<quoted text>
EDUCATE SPRINGBORO endorses BITNER, VAUGHN and ANDERSON
http://educatespringboro.org/2013/10/23/in-th...
...Educate Springboro supports a slate of three candidates, Charles Anderson, David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn for Springboro Board of Education. David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn bring their perspective as parents, taxpayers and concerned citizens to provide more balance in board perspectives. We are also confident that with the addition of the business acumen Charles Anderson has accumulated in his many years of service to the community, our district can continue to be sustainable. Keeping our students as the first priority, supporting our teachers, and being the voice of the community in public education is our goal. The addition of Anderson, Bitner, and Vaughn aid us all in accomplishing that goal.
Educate Springboro is also FOR the renewal. Issue 14 is a reduced renewal levy. In good faith, we’ve balanced the budget and met our obligations. When it became clear that the district could meet its needs with less money, the board voted to request lower millage in the renewal levy in November. Not only have we proven that we can live within our means, but now every stakeholder in this district—our students and families, our staff and teachers, and the taxpayers--will benefit.
Please join Educate Springboro in voting
FOR DAVID BITNER for School Board, and
FOR KOLTON VAUGHN for School Board, and
FOR CHARLES ANDERSON for School Board, and
FOR ISSUE 14 for our school district.
Is it true that ES "hyjacked" the Bitner/Vaughn campaign with
their ES endorses Anderson... AFTER Bitner/Vaughn campaign denied permission for Anderson to be advertised on the Bitner/Vaughn
campaign mail-outs?

Stay Alert Voters -- This is the silly season of politics of personal destruction!

People in this community should remind ES that you can lead
a horse in the direction of the watering hole... BUT you can't force the horse to drink! God Bless America!

ON NOVEMBER 5th, DON'T FEEL OBLIGATED TO VOTE FOR THREE!
VOTE YOUR BELIEF IN PARENTS SUPPORTING SPRINGBORO PARENTS!
VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN AS OUR NEXT TWO
ELECTED BOARD REPRESENTATIVES.
Vote Bitner-Vaughn

Springfield, OH

#28493 Oct 31, 2013
VBA for BOE wrote:
<quoted text>
STAY ALERT VOTERS!
ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 5th,
DON'T DO THE SMART THING!
DO NOT FILL IN ALL THREE BOE BALLOT SPACES!
LEAVE PLENTY OF CHIPS LYING ATOP THE TABLE FOR THE OPPOSITION TO SNATCH UP!
VOTE FOR QUALITY OF TWO CONSERVATIVES LEADERS
FOR SPRINGBORO SCHOOL BOARD!

Why waste a third vote on Symbolism with NO substance?

ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 5th (OR EVEN TODAY!)

**Your Two Conservative Candidates**
No debate means No choice

Dayton, OH

#28494 Oct 31, 2013
What is true wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope they don't "suck" as your command of the english language comes out in it's full glory.

Simply that if you look at the other schools (the one's in the top 10) They have less of a student to teacher ration (one is 14:1, ours is 20:1). I did notice not one charter school in the top 5 (didn't check after that). Oakwood is 9th in the state. Ask them what they pay in taxes.

I found this on their website:
"Most recently, the school district passed a new 5.75 mill operating levy in November, 2010, with a 62% positive vote and a 1.8 mill Permanent Improvement Renewal Levy in March, 2012, with 72% approval."

And they have another levy on the ballot Tuesday:
"The next test will come Nov. 5, when the district will be on the ballot for a 5.75-mill levy that would cost the owner of a $200,000 home an additional $403 per year."

Kind of answers why Springboro is 97, we don't pass school levys.

Therefore it stands to reason that if we want to be in the top 10 in the state. We need to start investing in our children.
partisan

Dayton, OH

#28495 Oct 31, 2013
<quoted text>
Nope they don't "suck" as your command of the english language comes out in it's full glory.
Simply that if you look at the other schools (the one's in the top 10) They have less of a student to teacher ration (one is 14:1, ours is 20:1). I did notice not one charter school in the top 5 (didn't check after that). Oakwood is 9th in the state. Ask them what they pay in taxes.
I found this on their website:
"Most recently, the school district passed a new 5.75 mill operating levy in November, 2010, with a 62% positive vote and a 1.8 mill Permanent Improvement Renewal Levy in March, 2012, with 72% approval."
And they have another levy on the ballot Tuesday:
"The next test will come Nov. 5, when the district will be on the ballot for a 5.75-mill levy that would cost the owner of a $200,000 home an additional $403 per year."
Kind of answers why Springboro is 97, we don't pass school levys.
Therefore it stands to reason that if we want to be in the top 10 in the state. We need to start investing in our children.
Ya mean start paying teachers more for doing only an average job. And I assure you, no levy that is going to cost us around 400 more bucks a year AIN'T going to happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Is Trump a national security threat?" 14 hr The Duke of Hazard 17
don't waste your time or gas applying at Fuyao. (Jan '15) 16 hr Sinclairbroadcast... 82
D.P.&L. Sucks! 18 hr The Duke of Hazard 6
Why Donald Trump is hated in Scotland... 18 hr Literature Lover 1
News Inmates caught in Ohio following 'Shawshank' st... Thu wichita-rick 3
Andy's Dean's "America Now" cancelled! (Jul '14) Thu The Duke of Hazard 42
The lawyers will rake in the loot with the dron... Jun 22 The New Cool Warrior 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Xenia Mortgages