Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31948 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

No debate means No choice

Dayton, OH

#28050 Oct 17, 2013
We all know you are MSA wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm S.U.R.E. you are not.... but again, it's still much easier for you to make things look bad instead of just asking. Then again I’m sure you think the ends justify the means.
Why don't you try reaching for the S.T.A.R.S.
Billy Baroo

Cleveland, OH

#28051 Oct 17, 2013
No debate means No choice wrote:
<quoted text>
After all the scrutiny of MSA on this board I'm just surprised there is not as much thrown the way of the other candidates.
And, I'm neither M or S or A.
Makes sense. Thus, the floor is yours. Let'er rip!
Clear choice

Dayton, OH

#28052 Oct 17, 2013
How would a school board without first-hand experience in any education system mis-use your Children's First Budgeting school tax dollars?
We all know you are MSA

Miamisburg, OH

#28053 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Why don't you try reaching for the S.T.A.R.S.
Yep… that is what I though, you don’t really want to know, you just like making things sinister. This is the real problem we have in this country, you see it on capitol hill, you see it at city council meetings and you see it at board meetings. No one wants to do what’s right anymore they just want to prove the other side is evil. In the end only the community gets hurt! No matter how I vote if it’s not the way you would vote, you will call me name and ridicule. Does this make you feel better about yourself?
No nothing

Taylor, MI

#28054 Oct 17, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
They did drop an A/P Art class that had 11 people signed up. Instead of keeping a class for which their was scant interest, those resources were redeployed where they might better impact more children.
OH YES, most definitely they were because we all remember the hemming and hawing the boosters did before Mr. Harves finally coughed it up when he realized the THIS Budget and Finance Committee was not going away.
For 13 years Mr. Malone failed to protect the families of his high school who were serving his support organizations. Not once did he utilize his esteem and influence to challenge anyone anywhere about the goings on in the booster clubs. When the Budget and Finance Committee began investigating the financial dealings of the organization, Mr. Malone was silent. Mr. Malone was not encouraging cooperation or tansparency, quite the opposite.
No technology is the hardware involved in transferring digital information to our children.
The board opposes further dumbing down of the curriculum through the use of new and exciting euphemisms. This board and hopefully those in the future, wish to push our academic program to higher levels, not lower.
Lowering the bar would be Mr. Malone's tack.
This board and future boards will be aiming higher.
Do you know if the new principal has reached out to the athletic boosters?
Waste Watchers

Akron, OH

#28055 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
AND JOINING THE OSBLC (founded by our BOE president) IS NOT A CONFLICT?
How would a union-first controlled school board mis-use our winning agenda of our successful Children's First Budgeting
school tax dollars?

Let Us Count Their Severely Misguided Ways....!

First things First -- the union first board majority, no doubt first thing, would waste thousands of our school tax dollars in donations to membership in the pro-levy, pro-union first Ohio School Boards Association.

Ohio School Boards Association indoctrinates local school board elected officials that the Board of Education works FOR the school superintendent/treasurer (as in the bad old days of Baker/Dettwiller) and that it is the superintendent's task to
present to the community, on a 24-7 year round basis, the WANTS of the local Teachers Union for more,more,more of our hard earned dollars,even IF there is NO need for new money...

Fortunately, Our current school superintendent has stated that
our school community of employees need to learn that the school community works FOR the whole community of taxpayers, and NOT the other way around.

Simply put, that is the line that is drawn between the reform minded philosophy of OSBLC; and the status quo business as usual OSBA philosophy based on the tired old outdated State politics of collective bargaining rights, which is all WRONG for our Children's First best interest.

Thus, the teachers union war of words against taxpayers and our children's first budgeting reform minded board representatives, spreading lies and demonizing Kelly Kohls, Jim Rigano, and David Petroni; protesting against board authority and falsely accusing them of having no respect for profesional educators; simply because...

Our Children's First Budgeting board representatives are committed to ensuring that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education, while keeping the costs of that education affordable by carefully adhering to responsible spending.
lol in boro

Akron, OH

#28056 Oct 17, 2013
peripheral pieces wrote:
Hey jobe, don't make it bad
Take some great signs and make them better
Remember to get yourself a real life
Then you will start to feel better
that one for sure parent is one badd for boro mama!
if she isn't teaming up with a fellow union activist
bloviating in the board room, expounding praise and worship
for the false gods of unionism; then...
she can be seen in the school parking lot after the public meeting with her head stuck into the school security officer's patrol car... in fact, all the way up to her waist!
wonder why this badd for boro mama needs so much inside safety protection?
Clear choice

Dayton, OH

#28057 Oct 17, 2013
We all know you are MSA wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep… that is what I though, you don’t really want to know, you just like making things sinister. This is the real problem we have in this country, you see it on capitol hill, you see it at city council meetings and you see it at board meetings. No one wants to do what’s right anymore they just want to prove the other side is evil. In the end only the community gets hurt! No matter how I vote if it’s not the way you would vote, you will call me name and ridicule. Does this make you feel better about yourself?
I'm just asking a legitimate question. One that should be simple for someone to answer. Considering we didn't have a chance to hear him at either debate. If comes down to what experience he has. He admits not having a colledge education but no one here has lambasted him for that. You started with the S.U.R.E. comment. How is my comment making it sinister and your's isn't?

Incredible.
Waste Watchers

Akron, OH

#28058 Oct 17, 2013
How would a union-first controlled school board mis-use our winning agenda of our successful Children's First Budgeting
school tax dollars?

Let Us Count Their Severely Misguided Ways....!

First things First -- the union first board majority, no doubt first thing, would waste thousands of our school tax dollars in donations to membership in the pro-levy, pro-union first Ohio School Boards Association.

Ohio School Boards Association indoctrinates local school board elected officials that the Board of Education works FOR the school superintendent/treasurer (as in the bad old days of Baker/Dettwiller) and that it is the superintendent's task to
present to the community, on a 24-7 year round basis, the WANTS of the local Teachers Union for more,more,more of our hard earned dollars,even IF there is NO need for new money...

Fortunately, Our current school superintendent has stated that
our school community of employees need to learn that the school community works FOR the whole community of taxpayers, and NOT the other way around.

Simply put, that is the line that is drawn between the reform minded philosophy of OSBLC; and the status quo business as usual OSBA philosophy based on the tired old outdated State politics of collective bargaining rights, which is all WRONG for our Children's First best interest.

Thus, the teachers union war of words against taxpayers and our children's first budgeting reform minded board representatives, spreading lies and demonizing Kelly Kohls, Jim Rigano, and David Petroni; protesting against board authority and falsely accusing them of having no respect for profesional educators; simply because...

Our Children's First Budgeting board representatives are committed to ensuring that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education, while keeping the costs of that education affordable by carefully adhering to responsible spending.

The time has now come to go to the polls on November 5, 2013, and freely exercise your individual responsibility to do the right thing for our school children and community and vote AGAINST union-first wasteful spending!

VOTE FOR THE ONLY TWO RESPONSIBLE BUDGETING SCHOOL BOARD CANDIDATES, DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN, WHO SHOULD BE OUR NEXT TWO ELECTED BOARD REPRESENTATIVES! WHY WASTE YOUR MONEY?
hypocrites

Cleveland, OH

#28059 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Being on the BOE and having a child in the same school system while you are presiding would be more of a conflict of interest than a RETIRED teacher or principal.
Oh really? A board candidate having children IN the district is considered to be a conflict of interest? Two years ago, wasn't there a manufactured concern about NOT having children in the district the SEA mantra for keeping Petroni off the board? Unquestionably who is the most effective board member? David Petroni.

Dayton, OH

#28060 Oct 17, 2013
hypocrites wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh really? A board candidate having children IN the district is considered to be a conflict of interest? Two years ago, wasn't there a manufactured concern about NOT having children in the district the SEA mantra for keeping Petroni off the board? Unquestionably who is the most effective board member? David Petroni.
Wrong again. My point was that a board member having a child in school would be more of a conflict of interest than a retired principal or teacher. Either is fine by me.
We all know you are MSA

Miamisburg, OH

#28061 Oct 17, 2013
Clear choice wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just asking a legitimate question. One that should be simple for someone to answer. Considering we didn't have a chance to hear him at either debate. If comes down to what experience he has. He admits not having a colledge education but no one here has lambasted him for that. You started with the S.U.R.E. comment. How is my comment making it sinister and your's isn't?
Incredible.
First are you Clear Choice or No debate means No choice? Second, you are asking the wrong crowd. If you really wanted to know the answer you would ask him, but instead you act like him not telling you is a reason to question why he is hiding something. Then when you are called on it, you act as if you have some sort of agenda. I may be wrong and if I am I’m truly sorry. You have the right to ask questions, but if they are designed to make a side look bad instead of a solicitation of true knowledge then you are part of the problem.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28062 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Wrong again. My point was that a board member having a child in school would be more of a conflict of interest than a retired principal or teacher. Either is fine by me.
You are really pressing the envelope with the idea that disenfranchising parents because they have children is a good idea.

Why would you want to exclude parents?
Just Asking

Akron, OH

#28063 Oct 17, 2013
No nothing wrote:
<quoted text> Do you know if the new principal has reached out to the athletic boosters?
It was encouraging at the last board meeting to see the
new high school principal recognizing high school students
in honor of high achievements!

It was discouraging that no one from the athletic boosters
attended the school board work session presentation of the
new athletic director; in which were presented the financial woes and the funding gap which appears to be between the money spend by the boosters board last year and the money which was taken in by the boosters board's fundraising.

Does anybody know why the athletic boosters officers NEVER show an interest in the public school board presentations/discussions of our school athletic program (as a whole), in which the athletic boosters have the privilege of our school resources and student talent to conduct themselves as an "outside business" operating within the partnership of Board of Education/Athletic Boosters
Board by-laws and policy agreements?

It appeared that the new athletic director is in somewhat of a financial pickle and he is asking if taxpayers should not be picking up the salaries of ALL coaches on board and supplemental contract costs? And wasn't he reporting that he can find no civic minded volunteers to help with our home games; but that no-one wants to help the kids unless they get paid (very generously!)

Anybody have any information on why the Athletic Boosters board officers NEVER show up at any of these discussions?
Isn't Springboro parent Tiffany Carlisle (who is very visisble in the board room begging for more money for the union teachers) an Athletic Boosters board officer?
Isn't Springboro parent Alfsoon McCleelan,(who was in the board room recently demanding that Springboro Parent Kelly Kohls "get out of HER boardroom") not an athletics boosters board officer?

Inquiring minds are just asking... and watching....
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28064 Oct 17, 2013
Clear choice wrote:
<quoted text>
Incredible.
I know lots of smart people who never went to college or never finished.

Conversely I know lots of maroons who did graduate from college, from the tone of your post I am gathering you as one of the latter.

College, in and of itself, is no guarantee of intelligence, as you so ably demonstrate deriding all who did not graduate from college as somehow beneath you and deserving of your scorn.

Vote for Bitner, Vaughn, and Anderson
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28065 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
AND JOINING THE OSBLC (founded by our BOE president) IS NOT A CONFLICT?
Actually, now that you bring it up, the board felt joining the organization would be a conflict of interest and declined.

So the short answer is the board did the right thing on both counts.

Dropping the OSBA was the right thing to do, it is the legislative lobbying arm of the OEA.

Not joining the OSBLC was the right thing to do to avoid any taint of impropriety and conflict of interest.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28066 Oct 17, 2013
Just Asking wrote:
<quoted text>

And wasn't he reporting that he can find no civic minded volunteers to help with our home games; but that no-one wants to help the kids unless they get paid (very generously!)
Yes that is not quite true. The PeeWee football program runs strictly on unpaid volunteers from coaches to gate attendants and has roughly 300 kids involved. Maybe the Athletic Director should talk with Steve Harding how he has managed that feat. Or ask Mr Stachler how he does the same thing with Lacrosse.. The ever popular youth basketball is another run the exact same way and they have lots of people with lots of experience in doing what Mr. Louis is claiming cannot be done

Mr. Louis' response to Ms. Kull and Mr Rigano reflected a mindset that all he should have to do is turn to the taxpayers and say give me more money.

There are other ways to match your program's revenue to its expenditures, not allowing your coaching staffs to dictate the expenses to the parents is one way to bring them under control.

Since the parents have to fund it all, why not let them have a say in what is important enough to take more of their scarce resources. Some parents have more time, some parents have more money, somewhere in the middle is an equitable solution to the problem that recognizes all realities.

Perhaps Mr. Louis would be well served speaking outside the box to a few people.
Just Asking

Akron, OH

#28067 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh fiddle-dee-dee! Why not give it a break on this sickening debate of "my dad/mom loves kids more than your dad/mom...?"
Enough already on the lovin me some kids to get "gotcha" moment in this "war of words" in the politics of personal distruction....

The "no kids/no vote" mantra that the union activists launched against the 2011 school board candidates was vile and disgusting; and not worthy of repeating the "no kids/no vote" in this 2013 election...

Why not stick to the issues and promote voting for the only two school board candidates that had the courage and confidence in themselves to step up and stand up with school district taxpayers at the polls on November 5, 2013.

People in this community should be sending thanks and appreciation to Mr. David Bitner and Mr. Kolton Vaughn! These two civic minded citizens have proven that they've got the WILL and the SKILL in which they need to go into board room battle AGAINST the Parents for S-U-R-E union activists!

BRAVO! BRAVO! Good Luck to these young men and their families!
Fresh ideas (including NEW reform minded BOE leadership) have allowed our district to sustain itself in an uncertain economy with NO new money required!

Just Vote YES! to Reduced Renewal Levy ...
Just Vote YES! YES! to new leadership with fresh ideas ...
JUST VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN!

Visit their website and get to know more about their reform minded thinking on our children's 21st century education needs...
Visit their open house meeting on October 21 and offer a friendly handshake and an encouraging word or two..
...remind them to enjoy basking in the sunshine of goodwill from their supporters outside the school community;
heaven knows how difficult it is for any good citizen to shine a little light in that narrow tunnel vision of status quo SEA
union hall.... once these two responsible budgeting school board candidates get elected as our next to school board representatives.
Get Real

Akron, OH

#28068 Oct 17, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I know lots of smart people who never went to college or never finished.
Conversely I know lots of maroons who did graduate from college, from the tone of your post I am gathering you as one of the latter.
College, in and of itself, is no guarantee of intelligence, as you so ably demonstrate deriding all who did not graduate from college as somehow beneath you and deserving of your scorn.
Vote for Bitner, Vaughn, and Anderson
Your one voice, one vote is to be respected.

As for me and my household of voters, we have only met and talked with school board candidates, Mr. David Bitner and Mr. Kolton Vaughn, and are only campaigning only for the two candidates that we know are the right fit with our school district agenda of fiscal responsibility.

We plan to visit the BITNER/VAUGHN meet and greet on October 21 to see IF Mr. Anderson is present, and to ask Mr.Anderson if he has plans to inform the Dayton Daily News that he has now seen the light through the Malone/Stuckey/Anderson signs of darkness; and is defecting from the re-instate Malone status quo campaign, to come over to our Boro proud Bitner/Vaughn for school board signs of responsible spending. We must hear Mr.Anderson's committment to ensuring that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education while keeping the costs of that education
affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending.
You see, we believe that is the ONLY reason for any concerned citizen to have an interest in running for school board election.

Inquiring minds around town are asking WHY Mr. Anderson was not solicited to run as a threesome with Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn, since Mr. Anderson is now being described as a deserving soul,
a well known business man, a former school member, who was
sought out and solicited by Malone and Stuckey to join with them in their campaign AGAINST Our Children First; AND who is now riding the coat-tails of our Children First/Responsible Budgeting school board candidates, Mr. Bitner and Mr.Vaughn?

People in this community should remember in November that we were deceived once, by a Mr. Anderson, riding the coat-tails of conservative school board candidate, Dr.Kelly Kohls, in November of 2009; and inquiring minds are asking voters "how did that work out for us in the board room, once Mr. Scott Anderson got elected?"

Dayton, OH

#28069 Oct 17, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
You are really pressing the envelope with the idea that disenfranchising parents because they have children is a good idea.
Why would you want to exclude parents?
This was in response to the person that posted putting Malone and Stuckey on the BOE is a conflict of interest. Why did they want to exclude retired school employees? The point simply was that a parent with a child in the system sitting on the board seems more of a conflict than a retired teacher or principal with no children in the system.(sarcasm)

But if you disagree with that, then that is your choice. Bottom line is there is NO conflict of interest in either case.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oakwood Swimmer Brock Turner (May '15) 6 hr Tantor 12
New film in Dayton 7 hr willmac235brn 1
Will Lester Holt deliver a thunderbolt? 19 hr Leon Harrison 1
D.P.&L. Sucks! 21 hr Not a Fan of Leon... 7
Do you have to pound and peck on the keys? 22 hr Not a Fan of Leon... 2
Baby bump on gabrielle enright Sun Waynedale 3
DENNIS GANNON "VOTE NO ON LEVIES" -- Fairborn s... (Mar '11) Sun Waynedale 7

Xenia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance