Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,274

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
partisan

Dayton, OH

#27861 Oct 11, 2013
Voter wrote:
Hey Bitner Vaughn supporters. There are three open school board seats. Which of the other three remaining candidates would you be most likely to vote for on election day?
definitely NOT Malone.
Did You Know

Akron, OH

#27862 Oct 11, 2013
Fresh ideas have allowed our district to sustain itself in an uncertain economy with NO new money required!

Children's First Budgeting Works!

...challenging the status quo where need be
and that is a good thing!

Renewal levy saves taxpayers $6.5 million over the five year life of the levy, while continuing to generate surplus....

Putting money where it is needed...

Raising the bar for students and teachers.....

If you agree with putting Children First, share this information with others. Visit http://educationspringboro.org to learn more.
reality

Girard, OH

#27863 Oct 11, 2013
Students First wrote:
<quoted text>
Has anyone noticed....why all of a sudden is the tag-line "Students First" and not "Children First"?
There's a logical explanation for this and it has to do with evolution of terminology. Remember just a few years ago when the fashion was to perennially place levys on the ballot in order to make up for lack of budget accountability in this district? Well, at that time you may recall NFSS's adopted pro-levy yard sign slogan was "FOR THE KIDS". First comes Kohls, then later Petroni & Rigano with logical plans for developing a responsible district budget, which has happened. Of course, because NFSS had already successfully jaded it, Educate Springboro wasn't about to re-use the term "KIDS", so instead they chose the next closest thing, which is "CHILDREN". By implementing "STUDENTS FIRST", Bitner and Vaughn are going to a place that "FOR THE KIDS" Neighbors for Springboro Schools of 5-6 years ago could only have dreamt about.
lesser of the

Girard, OH

#27864 Oct 11, 2013
Voter wrote:
Hey Bitner Vaughn supporters. There are three open school board seats. Which of the other three remaining candidates would you be most likely to vote for on election day?
Well here I am standing at the polling both.
Who might I vote for school board?

Bitner......check
Malone......BUZZZ!!!
Stuckey.....BUZZZ!!!
Vaughn......check
Anderson....
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27865 Oct 11, 2013
I support Mr. Anderson.

As a businessman who has grown a successful small corporation he has demonstrated the financial understanding that comes with managing such.

The board would most certainly gain from his experience in this area as we move into the future of education and its incumbent cost.

His previous service on the board in the 90's will have prepared him for the whirlwind to come.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27866 Oct 11, 2013
This past evening at the board meeting Mr. Petrey introduced another proposal for yet another dual credit class program that can be taken online via Sinclair.

Rather than having seniors with two study halls and nothing much to do, Mr. Petrey is proposing they utilize that time to access a number of classes that Sinclair is offering onlne at only $21.50/credit hour. Kids can also access classes from home as well.

These classes would appear to satisfy most university and colleges electives criteria while providing the students with exposure to college level classes they will be experiencing within the next year.

Mr. Petrey noted that Kings Mill, Waynesville, Lebanon, and even West Carrollton were and have been engaged in the program for many years.

Begs the question, where were the previous administrators and principals in promoting this sort of option to our children and parents?

Short answer, no where.

Vote Bitner, Vaughn, and Anderson and let's keep the future in front of us.
No debate means No choice

Xenia, OH

#27867 Oct 11, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
This past evening at the board meeting Mr. Petrey introduced another proposal for yet another dual credit class program that can be taken online via Sinclair.
Rather than having seniors with two study halls and nothing much to do, Mr. Petrey is proposing they utilize that time to access a number of classes that Sinclair is offering onlne at only $21.50/credit hour. Kids can also access classes from home as well.
These classes would appear to satisfy most university and colleges electives criteria while providing the students with exposure to college level classes they will be experiencing within the next year.
Mr. Petrey noted that Kings Mill, Waynesville, Lebanon, and even West Carrollton were and have been engaged in the program for many years.
Begs the question, where were the previous administrators and principals in promoting this sort of option to our children and parents?
Short answer, no where.
Vote Bitner, Vaughn, and Anderson and let's keep the future in front of us.
Yes, now the question is with their "student/children first" why didn't the current BOE come up with the dual credit option in the past?. They certainly found other classes (controversial issues, etc.). Why no blame thorwn the BOE's way? I guess they are untouchable.

My guess is no conservatives were pushing the dual credit option, so it was never on the current BOE's radar.
partisan

Dayton, OH

#27868 Oct 11, 2013
where do I get a Bitner/Vaughn yard sign ?
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27869 Oct 11, 2013
No debate means No choice wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, now the question is with their "student/children first" why didn't the current BOE come up with the dual credit option in the past?. They certainly found other classes (controversial issues, etc.). Why no blame thorwn the BOE's way? I guess they are untouchable.
My guess is no conservatives were pushing the dual credit option, so it was never on the current BOE's radar.
Let us examine your premise, this board that has been in session for the past year and a half opens the way to expanding opportunities for our children that have existed for over 20 years.

The first year and a half was spent overcoming any progress for our children because of intransigence from the union, the high school principal, and the previous administrators.

Once the previous school superintendent was replaced, other previously thought "invaluable" administrators followed, allowing this board to put into place people who have a vision of tomorrow, not yesterday.

Why are we able to move forward for our children now?

Todd Petrey Superintendent instead of Gene Lolli, nice man but in over his head in that position, he also lacked the necessary leadership skills and will to get the job done.

Tammy Stritenberger Curriculum Director instead of Sandra Warner who was headed for retirement and seeming disinterested in pursuing anything. I was at a Budget and Finance Committe meeting in January of 2012 when Mr. Petroni asked what they were doing to prepare for the coming Common Core standard? Ms. Warner, Mr. Lolli, and Mr. Long all replied that they were waiting for the final bill from the state before doing anything and were therefore doing nothing at this time.

Lee Vincent instead of George Long in Human Relations, competency and knowledge vs incompetency and pretend knowledge. If Mr. Long did not know the answer he still stated one with force and authority. As I listened and learned more I soon discovered most of the time he was just making stuff up and hoping no one else knew enough to challenge him. He soon discovered that tactic no longer worked. Another wonderfully nice man you would enjoy having a beer with, but out of his league and core competencies in that arena.

Jeff Madden who took over as business manager for George Long and began to run it like it was supposed to be run rather than as a place to make friends with other people's money. As Jeff will tell you, he learned more about education and finances at the Petroni/Rigano Institute in a year than most learn in a career about the subject.

Put the right people in place and you will see good things happen.

Unleash the creative genius in people and see what boils to the top.

Not every idea will be gold, but a transparent process of vetting them will destroy the not so good
and reward the great.

Say what you will about this board, but the did their business in front of audiences, not behind closed doors.

They took their lumps in public, while not all were deserved, some were well deserved, and they took them and learned.

And it has worked out pretty well.

Continue the path to the future

Vote Bitner, Vaughn, Anderson
backbiter

Girard, OH

#27870 Oct 11, 2013
<quoted text>
Honestly, do you achieve some sense of fulfillment in being a Monday morning quarterback?

For some strange reason you seem to be reluctant to bring up the many positives this board has accomplished with cooperation from administration, including $1.1 million for an 11 additional new buses,$1.5 million in computers,$3.7 million in capital improvements,$2.4 million in text books and new curriculum and text book adoptions; doing the framework that's necessary to help ensure Springboro schools remains among the top ranked districts in Ohio.
ask and U shall receive

Girard, OH

#27871 Oct 11, 2013
partisan wrote:
Thanks for the inquiry!

SupportBoroStudents.com
The Next Day

Amelia, OH

#27872 Oct 11, 2013
<quoted text>
So all the stuff that has happened and the BOE is taking credit for (lowering budgets, etc.) actually should be accounted to Mr. Malone since it happened during "his watch". Who would have thought?
Excellent. Well played. If you're going to take credit for something that went well "under your watch", you should also have to take the hit for things that didn't go well. Can't have it both ways.

Also, I think the grade of "D" was for gifted students at the grade school level if I recall correctly, not at the high school where Mr. Malone was.

I fully appreciate differences of opinion, but only when they are backed for correct facts correctly applied. Facts are a messy thing sometimes as many talking heads know.

It would have been interesting to see how things would have played out in terms of expense management and a levy if the pipeline tax revenue didn't come along which is a huge help to our local schools. I shutter to think.
Students First

Springboro, OH

#27873 Oct 11, 2013
The Next Day wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent. Well played. If you're going to take credit for something that went well "under your watch", you should also have to take the hit for things that didn't go well. Can't have it both ways.
Also, I think the grade of "D" was for gifted students at the grade school level if I recall correctly, not at the high school where Mr. Malone was.
I fully appreciate differences of opinion, but only when they are backed for correct facts correctly applied. Facts are a messy thing sometimes as many talking heads know.
It would have been interesting to see how things would have played out in terms of expense management and a levy if the pipeline tax revenue didn't come along which is a huge help to our local schools. I shutter to think.
Excellent point. The pipeline money isn't really mentioned a whole lot by the BOE (gee wonder why?)- but that infusion of one time monies is getting us through the next few years. Wonder what will happen when the pipeline money runs dry? Sorry, had to say it.

And yes, facts do tend to get in the way of a good argument once in a while.
Spread the Great News

Akron, OH

#27874 Oct 11, 2013
partisan wrote:
Visit the website www.SupportBoroStudents.com

Springboro School Board Candidates
BITNER and VAUGHN are the two school board candidates who should be elected our next two Board of Education representatives!

VOTE NOVEMBER 5, 2013!
DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN
STUDENTS FIRST
PARENTS REPRESENTING PARENTS
RESPONSIBLE BUDGETING

Let's Stay the Course in 2013 and Continue Ahead With the election of consistent, sustainable, forward-looking leadership!

(Why would our community vote to return to the days of endless levies, punitive actions against our citizens, and never ending financial emergencies within the district?)

Students First/Responsible Budgeting Works!
Clemmer

Girard, OH

#27875 Oct 11, 2013
Students First wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent point. The pipeline money isn't really mentioned a whole lot by the BOE (gee wonder why?)- but that infusion of one time monies is getting us through the next few years. Wonder what will happen when the pipeline money runs dry? Sorry, had to say it.
And yes, facts do tend to get in the way of a good argument once in a while.
One time money? According the below articles it looks like the revenue is for recurring revenues. And the second pipeline revenues have not even been factored in to the current budget. Is that not the case?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130819/N...

http://www.springboro.org/districtNewsArticle...
Students First

Springboro, OH

#27876 Oct 11, 2013
Clemmer wrote:
<quoted text>
One time money? According the below articles it looks like the revenue is for recurring revenues. And the second pipeline revenues have not even been factored in to the current budget. Is that not the case?
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130819/N...
http://www.springboro.org/districtNewsArticle...
Thank you for the articles. A close look at the school link that you provided reveals two simple words below...."Since 2012-2013, the district has received $3.5 million per year as a result of a pipeline that has been completed.(A second pipeline is possible; however, the districtís current forecast assumptions do not include the additional funding it may bring to the district.)"

"It May" tells me no future money is guaranteed. Besides any tax on anything that the state levies and provides to the local schools isn't something I would count on in the future. And at least rightly so for now - the schools do not include that in their future forecasting.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27877 Oct 11, 2013
The Next Day wrote:
<quoted text>
Since Mr. Malone, in his position at the top of the heirarchy of our school district, was the defacto leader of all of his farm systems that fed students into his high school, one would have thought he may have had a passing interest in the education of the children feeding into his school.

Why did Mr. Malone, with his 41 years of excellent educational experience, never seem to exert his influence and leadership for the benefit of all the children of Springboro?

As the defacto leader of the school district, was it not his responsibility to lead in a way that would produce positive results for all students?

The High Schools That Works program audits our high school every three years. There are repeated mentions of increasing the rigor of curriculum, increasing the participation rates of our A/P classes, putting more emphasis on getting children college ready. They show up with each audit as though no one was paying attention to the recommendations.

"Documents provided to the TAV Team indicate that contrary tothe HSTW philosophy, SHS
believes that offering low~level courses is in the best interest of students.≠ This belief,
however, was not substantiated by research or data."

Professional peers trying to be nice wrote that for Mr. Malone in January 2013.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxs0_xA64y_HS...

With 13 years at the helm to fix the problem, Mr. Malone opted instead to take a different tact and use his large store of influence in the community to reduce the strength of the curriculum.

Seriously, Vote Bitner, Vaughn, and Anderson
Clemmer

Girard, OH

#27878 Oct 11, 2013
Students First wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the articles. A close look at the school link that you provided reveals two simple words below...."Since 2012-2013, the district has received $3.5 million per year as a result of a pipeline that has been completed.(A second pipeline is possible; however, the districtís current forecast assumptions do not include the additional funding it may bring to the district.)"
"It May" tells me no future money is guaranteed. Besides any tax on anything that the state levies and provides to the local schools isn't something I would count on in the future. And at least rightly so for now - the schools do not include that in their future forecasting.
So, if the first pipeline money is recurring (not one time money) and revenues from the second hasn't even been collected or factored in to the budget, then why your comment that "...but that infusion of one time monies is getting us through the next few years. Wonder what will happen when the pipeline money runs dry?" It's not one time money. Not trying to be a jerk here...just trying to understand your point.
No Turning Back

Akron, OH

#27879 Oct 11, 2013
Students First wrote:
<quoted text>
The fear of change will not chase our community back into the darkness of previously failed practices.

Let's stay on this new course and move in the direction of FIXING BUDGETS/LEVY ALTERNATIVES leadership for our children, schools, and community.

VOTE FOR THE ONLY TWO "FIXING BUDGETS/LEVY ALTERNATIVES" SCHOOL BOARD CANDIDATES ON NOVEMBER 5, 2013.
DAVID BITNER And KOLTON VAUGHN SHOULD BE OUR NEXT TWO ELECTED SCHOOL BOARD REPRESENTATIVES!
OUR STUDENTS FIRST FUTURE EDUCATION DEPENDS ON IT!
Students First

Springboro, OH

#27880 Oct 11, 2013
Clemmer wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if the first pipeline money is recurring (not one time money) and revenues from the second hasn't even been collected or factored in to the budget, then why your comment that "...but that infusion of one time monies is getting us through the next few years. Wonder what will happen when the pipeline money runs dry?" It's not one time money. Not trying to be a jerk here...just trying to understand your point.
I don't believe it is recurring money. The schools' information says "has" received, not "and will continue to receive". And if it is recurring - what taxes the state giveth, the state unfortunately can taketh away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Jerry K 31,128
"Is there an ISIS crisis at levy time?" 5 hr Leon Harrison 1
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr Chuck 19,222
ING is now Yoya, a brand-new investment and ret... 10 hr Leon Harison 3
This is your lucky Monday! 10 hr Leon Harison 7
Riverside Police (Sep '11) 20 hr Do Something 22
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Fri Vic 231
•••
•••
•••

Xenia Jobs

•••
•••