Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31827 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27339 Sep 13, 2013
Lerxst wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't give a story nor a reason that democrats (or republicans) should be given credit for the numbers you posted. You simply stated job numbers and who happened to be the sitting president at the time. Make the connection between the job numbers and the president's policies and how they translate to increased jobs and I'll give all the credit that is due if you make a cogent and convincing argument. Simply being present when job numbers go up is not enough to claim credit.
Again, you miss the point. You're making my point for me. Schweikart was the one that pointed out the job numbers of Reagan. I was simply presenting the whole story. It's relevance should be a question to Schweikart since he found it important enough to bring up last night.
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27340 Sep 13, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask the BOE who voted for it. Some people wonder what's wrong with the current BOE, looks like you just found 1 reason for a change.
One Reason for A Change?

Are you talking about Ron Malone and his bid to gain control of our of school district budget to turn over to the plundering of SEA employees like Gail Dauber?

Hasn't our current BOE requested previously, in public meeting, that these supplemental employment contracts be brought to the board for approval, BEFORE the employees start working? And did you not hear in last night's discussion our current BOE questioning, again, this practice?

The question again, Who is the school administrator who offered the suppplemental contracts that were approved for Gail Dauber night? Who is the school administrator who does the employee evaluations for school employee, Gail Dauber?

The time has come to question everything -- including the chain of command and who is held accountable.
Famous quotes

Xenia, OH

#27341 Sep 13, 2013
Question Everything wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply put -- You Are Blinded by Your Own Prejudices. Read My Lips:
Our sitting Springboro BOE has NEVER stiffled free speech.
To argue otherwise is pure foolishness on the part of those who argue foolishly.
Those of us attending last night's board meeting have done our own homework (we haven't "copied" the collective views of our peers); we do not flock together in pre-arranged productions in front of TV cameras, demanding "not in MY community" will free speech be allowed.... and neither will any of those suspicious "outsiders" be allowed inside our hallowed halls of SHS unionism rule.
Many of those attending the board meeting last night came to sit down and listen to a GUEST speaker; and thought it very embarrassing and rude for a Springboro parent to stand up and insult an invited Guest, by her projected pre-judgement of intended hate speech!(Guess Liberals never heard of "innocent till proven guilty)!
"Read my lips" you forgot "..NO NEW TAXES"
Famous quotes

Xenia, OH

#27342 Sep 13, 2013
<quoted text>
One Reason for A Change?
Are you talking about Ron Malone and his bid to gain control of our of school district budget to turn over to the plundering of SEA employees like Gail Dauber?
Hasn't our current BOE requested previously, in public meeting, that these supplemental employment contracts be brought to the board for approval, BEFORE the employees start working? And did you not hear in last night's discussion our current BOE questioning, again, this practice?
The question again, Who is the school administrator who offered the suppplemental contracts that were approved for Gail Dauber night? Who is the school administrator who does the employee evaluations for school employee, Gail Dauber?
The time has come to question everything -- including the chain of command and who is held accountable.
Don't hold your breath waiting for answers. Sometimes you'll never get them. Just ask those who questioned the presense of WMD's, the moon landing, JFK assasination or global warming.

The board can't make every little decision. They should approve a budget and let those responsible for managing the budget manage it.

Micormanagement is mismanagement. http://www.nfib.com/business-resources/busine...
Famous quotes

Xenia, OH

#27343 Sep 13, 2013
<quoted text>
One Reason for A Change?
Oh and where as I may not know who did it. I would suspect the current board approved the position/contract of the person that did.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27344 Sep 13, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not see much of a conservative bent in my children's textbooks, but then these textbooks are written primarily for the largest states with the most children in them, all of which happen to be blue states like California, New York, Pennsylvania, the Northeast. It is good business to pander to your largest customers, but that leaves the rest of us with the same books to choose from.
History does not really care what the color of one's skin happens to be. What color was the skin of Rome's ancient enemy the Parthians? How about the Vandals of North Africa? Or the Moors who invaded Spain? Those who stopped Alexander the Great were of what race?
What color of skin enjoyed the greatest degree of slavery in history?
Placing too much influence on external features of the participants rather than focusing on the larger issues at play is akin to not being able to see the forest for the trees.
Thinking as well that all history is only important if it took place in our lifetime scrubs the life from our collective origins.
I disagree whole heartedly with the writer that proposes that only the "real truth" be taught in our schools. Let me ask the reader exactly who will be the arbiter of that truth? Ms. Dauber, Ms Thornberry? I pray not.
History is written by each and every one of us each day of our lives whether we realize it or not. Together we form the culture, the economic output, and the vitality that becomes the tapestry and then the the history of our nation every day.
There is no one right answer in history, it is the collaboration of a thousand eyes discerning facts and reporting such through the prism of the reporter's experience and vantage point.
Let us not embroil ourselves in another phony "crisis" whipped to flames by those with ulterior motives and censorship on the mind.
You left out the Texas blue bloods.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27345 Sep 13, 2013
Speak up Boro wrote:
Funny that the very people saying don't make History political are the people that stand up at board meetings and call themselves Liberals and they reject any other message, they walk out on speakers who they don't want to hear, they laugh and scoff at speakers, they are the very people calling the media and the people that don't want our children to be proud of the American heritage. Who do you think is the cause of the controversy in Springboro? They are the group of ladies that sit in the audience at the board meetings and cause the divide and the controversy. The media will not show up any more after saying they have been used enough. The oblivious media even have your number ladies. You showed your colors and they are not blue for boro they are blue for Obama and the like. BTW do not ever use the word conservative to refer to yourself in my presence again Lisa. I won't tolerate the lies anymore.
Make up your mind. Does the "liberal" media have a bias or not? If they do, then they will keep showing up as long as it goes on. It sells papers.
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27346 Sep 13, 2013
Let Freedom Ring wrote:
<quoted text>
Freedom is Empowering!
Where is the Partisan or Liberal or Unionism or any other collective clause apart from INDIVISIBLE in our Pledge to OUR flag? Why did we stand in the board room last night and pray this prayer; then immediately have Stephanie B and Don M project division among us because of differing opinions and beliefs?
Where IS the RESPONSIBILITY in this style of narrow minded leadership and poor role modeling of good citizenship?
Are we not to expect this liberal partisan narrow mindedness to become the LAW in the board room IF voters allow Malone/Stuckey/Anderson to hand over control of OUR BOARD to the Springboro Education Association president, Mr. Maney?
Where's the value to our children's 21st century education in
re-instating Ron Malones's failed educational practices of the past?
business stat
No Turning Back

Akron, OH

#27347 Sep 13, 2013
Famous quotes wrote:
<quoted text>
"Read my lips" you forgot "..NO NEW TAXES"
Excellence is not an act, but a habit.- Aristotle

In the direction of sustainability
DISTRICT TO ASK FOR LOWER TAX MILLAGE IN NOVEMBER

In the football stands on Friday nights, we can see a basic truth: our schools and community are inextricably tied. Public schools serve the community. And the community supports public schools. Today we stand in an almost unheard of place: we are financially prepared to give something back to the taxpayer–to give back to our community by reducing the tax burden. The renewal levy on the ballot in November will be set at a lower millage rate to reduce taxes generated by that levy by nearly 15 percent (a reduction of $1,353,800 per year). There is an assumption that if we are cutting the taxes; we must be cutting back in our schools. This is simply false.

The following needs are in the current budget through 2017:
•high school busing restored
•over $2 million in textbooks and curriculum adoption
•over $2.1 million for new buses
•over $3.7 million in capital needs and deferred maintenance
•over $1.5 million in technology (100 percent WiFi, 1,000 computers, 350 teacher laptops)
•over $7.5 million for our staff in raises and benefit changes
These needs are met in the five-year forecast even with the lower renewal levy.
How is this possible?
•Efficiency plans, reallocating resources, and receiving increased revenue all make the lower renewal levy possible.
•Since 2012-2013, the district has received $3.5 million per year due to tax revenue from the Rocky's Express natural gas pipeline.(A second gas pipeline is being installed through the school district territory; however, the district’s current forecast assumptions DO NOT include projections of any funds it is likely to bring to the district.)
•We recently learned that our district will receive 6.5% more in 2013-2014 than in the previous year from the State of Ohio (approximately $828,000) as well as 10.5% more in 2014-2015 (approximately $1.2 million).
•The May 2013 five-year budget forecast reflected a surplus of $7.55 million in 2017.
•With consideration of additional state revenue and after the approval of contracts with teachers, classified and exempt staff, budget projections still reflect a surplus of $7.2 million in 2017 with the current millage.
•When the proposed decreased renewal levy is applied to budget projections, there is a still a surplus of approximately $3.9 million.
With every step, we are proving that this district--with its record of excellence--is sustainable with an even lower tax burden. We are meeting and exceeding state mandates as well as local expectations. We are building a technology backbone, investing in computers, curriculum, buses and buildings. Most important, we are being honest about what is needed through 2017. This is reform at the local level, and this is working together toward sustainability.

Editorial note: This article is adapted from a blog post by Springboro Board of Education Member David Petroni.

Visit www.springboro.org
Twp resident

Girard, OH

#27348 Sep 13, 2013
Schweikart's presentation last evening was very professional. No "hate speech" there whatsoever. Quite obviously, the B woman and Miller made fools out of themselves. Maybe next time, they'll hold their respective reviews until AFTER the presentation.

It was interesting to see a number of quizzical and outright shocked expessions on the faces of certain liberal audience members when Schweikart correctly utilized historical inflation comparisons to put "Reagan's debt" into an accurate perspective. America's overall debt was exponentially higher in the years immediately after WWII. This is not political slant. This is fact.

It is an absolute pity that Springboro's curriculum is so politically jaded that students are restricted in their potential growth in that they do not have access to accurate/unbiased historical information.
Celebrate Our Success

Akron, OH

#27349 Sep 13, 2013
Special Thanks and Great Appreciation are due our current BOE for staying the course doing what's right for our school children and community (even when they are opposed by those who are insanely popular)!

THIS IS REFORM AT THE LOCAL LEVEL, AND THIS IS WORKING TOGETHER TOWARD SUSTAINABILITY!
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27350 Sep 13, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Make up your mind. Does the "liberal" media have a bias or not? If they do, then they will keep showing up as long as it goes on. It sells papers.
Doesn't it "sell papers" only to those who buy into the liberal collective bias of the media?

Independent thinkers inform ourselves to attack liberal issues that threaten our principles of fiscal responsibility; we don't try to keep others down; thus allow our weaker nature to become meaner and smaller than our best selves.

Independent thinkers do not feel that someone else ALWAYS has to lose in order for us to win!

"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."
-Clarence Darrow
Boro parent of two

Girard, OH

#27351 Sep 13, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that what debate club is for? Again, look at the Dover trial, separation of church and state includes public classes. There are more important things (reading, writhing, arithmatic) that adding to would just take away form the standards and from looking at Doug's postings I never see "controversial debate skills" as a measured criteria.
Seems as though most of us here could have used time in debate club (myself included).
Virtually every child plays soccer in gym classes, yet at the same time each school has organized (voluntary) soccer teams.
Children play touch football on the playground, yet each school has organized (voluntary) football squads.
This same logic applies to debate clubs. Debate clubs are meant for a higher echelon of skill.

Do not attempt to departmentalize our childrens success.
In order to be able to have a chance at success in this global economy, each and every student should learn the basic ins and outs of debate. Debate skills are needed all the time, from convincing a banker of your credibility during a car or home purchase, or negotiating contract terms on a personal loan.
Oftentimes, a rebuttal is brought up that there's not enough time in the curriculum to add things like student debate. My answer to that - how many times per year does Springboro schools have stupid 1 hour "late start" days? Get rid of late start days! If and when a meeting is necessary, Boro teachers need to be doing what teachers did two and three generations ago, and that's COME TO SCHOOL EARLY or STAY LATER.

There! I just freed up about five or six hours worth of debate time for our students!
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27352 Sep 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Doesn't it "sell papers" only to those who buy into the liberal collective bias of the media?
Independent thinkers inform ourselves to attack liberal issues that threaten our principles of fiscal responsibility; we don't try to keep others down; thus allow our weaker nature to become meaner and smaller than our best selves.
Independent thinkers do not feel that someone else ALWAYS has to lose in order for us to win!
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."
-Clarence Darrow
So you are saying the only issue that threten our principles are Liberal issues? That's close-minded. Do you ever question conservatives? Isn't that a Librals ALWAYS lose attitude? You should re-read your post.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27353 Sep 13, 2013
Boro parent of two wrote:
<quoted text>
Virtually every child plays soccer in gym classes, yet at the same time each school has organized (voluntary) soccer teams.
Children play touch football on the playground, yet each school has organized (voluntary) football squads.
This same logic applies to debate clubs. Debate clubs are meant for a higher echelon of skill.
Do not attempt to departmentalize our childrens success.
In order to be able to have a chance at success in this global economy, each and every student should learn the basic ins and outs of debate. Debate skills are needed all the time, from convincing a banker of your credibility during a car or home purchase, or negotiating contract terms on a personal loan.
Oftentimes, a rebuttal is brought up that there's not enough time in the curriculum to add things like student debate. My answer to that - how many times per year does Springboro schools have stupid 1 hour "late start" days? Get rid of late start days! If and when a meeting is necessary, Boro teachers need to be doing what teachers did two and three generations ago, and that's COME TO SCHOOL EARLY or STAY LATER.
There! I just freed up about five or six hours worth of debate time for our students!
I could agree with getting rid of "late start" days. Also I appreicate the fact that in your debate examples you cited more worth-while debates than evolution vs. creation. Nice compromise, now let's convice the other 10 people on this site :)
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27354 Sep 13, 2013
turkee power wrote:
Franklin Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social
Security (FICA) Program. He promised:
1.) That participation in the Program would be
Completely voluntary, No longer Voluntary
2.) That the participants would only have to pay
1% of the first $1,400 of their annual
Incomes into the Program, Now 7.65%
on the first $90,000
3.) That the money the participants elected to put
into the Program would be deductible from
their income for tax purposes each year, No longer tax deductible
4.) That the money the participants put into the
independent 'Trust Fund' rather than into the
general operating fund, and therefore, would
only be used to fund the Social Security
Retirement Program, and no other
Government program, and,
Under Johnson the money was moved to
The General Fund and Spent
5.) That the annuity payments to the retirees would never be taxed as income.
Under Clinton & Gore
Up to 85% of your Social Security can be Taxed
Since many of us have paid into FICA for years and are now receiving a Social Security check every month -- and then finding that we are getting taxed on 85% of the money we paid to the Federal government to 'put away'-- you may be interested in the following:
----------
Q: Which Political Party took Social Security from the independent 'Trust Fund' and put it into the
general fund so that Congress could spend it?
A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the democratically
controlled House and Senate.
----------
Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax
deduction for Social Security (FICA) withholding?
A: The Democratic Party.
----------
Q: Which Political Party started taxing Social
Security annuities?
A: The Democratic Party, with Al Gore casting the
'tie-breaking' deciding vote as President of the
Senate, while he was Vice President of the US
----------
Q: Which Political Party decided to start
giving annuity payments to immigrants?
AND MY FAVORITE:
A: That's right!
Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party.
Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65,
began to receive Social Security payments! The
Democratic Party gave these payments to them,
even though they never paid a dime into it!
----------
Then, after violating the original contract (FICA),
the Democrats turn around and tell you that the Republicans want to take your Social Security away!
And the worst part about it is uninformed citizens believe it!
If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of
awareness will be planted and maybe changes will
evolve. Maybe not, some Democrats are awfully
sure of what isn't so.
"Do not look back in anger, or forward in fear, but around in awareness." - James Thurber
Lerxst

Girard, OH

#27355 Sep 13, 2013
Twp resident wrote:
It is an absolute pity that Springboro's curriculum is so politically jaded that students are restricted in their potential growth in that they do not have access to accurate/unbiased historical information.
What's worse is how clueless the parents are and think they are getting the truth. All they are getting is the government's version of the truth.
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27356 Sep 13, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
I could agree with getting rid of "late start" days. Also I appreicate the fact that in your debate examples you cited more worth-while debates than evolution vs. creation. Nice compromise, now let's convice the other 10 people on this site :)
that's funny! Why haven't you brought your disagreements of late start days to the board room? There is no compromise.

"Truth is always exciting! Speak It, then; .... Life is dull without it." -Pearl S. Buck

(Did anyone else notice the dullness in the high school student's testimony on behalf of Gail Dauber's indoctrination that God has no place in this country? So sad to see our future leaders of this Great Nation of America so cynical and negative at such a young age!)

Again, there will be NO compromise in the teaching of the good, bad and ugly TRUTH of our Great American History, as accurately as humanly possible (which is flawed at best!)
-- No liberal/no conservative/no compromise on doing what's right for our children's 21st century quality classroom education, which is funded so generously for ALL our school employees, by ALL Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27357 Sep 13, 2013
<quoted text>
"Do not look back in anger, or forward in fear, but around in awareness." - James Thurber
How RIGHT you are. Republican's do NO wrong. Each and every one of them is honest, truthful and has never done anything wrong.

BTW. You're post may need some "fact checking"...

"This elaborate collection of falsehoods is so detailed that we believe it must be an intentional and malicious effort at disinformation. It grafts some new whoppers on top of a list that we debunked in April 2004, in a special report we called "Lies in the E-mail, Part 2." The earlier version, we said, was "full of laughably inaccurate claims," and this one is worse."

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/03/fdrs-volunta...

Do your homework.
history lesson 4 liberals

Girard, OH

#27358 Sep 13, 2013
When Franklin D. Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social Security (FICA) Program. He promised:

1.) That participation in the Program would be
Completely voluntary...It is no longer voluntary.

2.) That the participants would only have to pay
1% of the first $1,400 of their annual incomes into the Program ...Now 7.65% on the first $90,000

3.) That money participants elected to put
into the Program would be deductible from
their income for tax purposes each year...No longer tax deductible

4.) That money participants put into the Program would go to an independent 'Trust Fund' rather than into the General Operating Fund. Therefore FDR had intended for this money to be used to fund the Social Security Retirement Program and no other Government program....Under L.B. Johnson, the money was moved to the General Fund

5.) That the annuity payments to the retirees would never be taxed as income...Since Clinton/Gore, up to 85% of your Social Security can be Taxed

Since many of us have paid into FICA for years and are now receiving a Social Security check every month -- and then finding that we are getting taxed on 85% of the money we paid to the Federal government to 'put away'-- you may be interested in the following:

----------
Q: Which Political Party took Social Security from the independent 'Trust Fund' and put it into the
general fund so that Congress could spend it?
A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the democratically
controlled House and Senate.

----------
Q: Which Political Party eliminated the income tax
deduction for Social Security (FICA) withholding?
A: The Democratic Party.
----------

Q: Which Political Party started taxing Social
Security annuities?
A: The Democratic Party, with Al Gore casting the
'tie-breaking' deciding vote as President of the
Senate, while he was Vice President of the US
----------

Q: Which Political Party decided to start
giving annuity payments to immigrants?

A: Jimmy Carter and the Democratic Party.
Immigrants moved into this country, and at age 65,
began to receive Social Security payments! The
Democratic Party gave these payments to them,
even though they never paid a dime into it!
----------

Then, after violating the original contract (FICA),
the Democrats turn around and tell you that it's the Republicans who want to take your Social Security away! What's the worst part about it? Uninformed citizens believe it!
If enough people receive this, maybe a seed of
awareness will be planted and changes will
evolve. Maybe not, because some Democrats are awfully sure of what isn't so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what year did Xenia go bad? (May '10) 18 hr Neighbor_Hood 11
UNderstanding the cycle of poverty 19 hr Neighbor_Hood 1
News Grand jury clears police in Wal-Mart shooting (Sep '14) 19 hr Cyndi Elitist Bee... 5
xenia: enchanted welfareland 19 hr Cyndi Elitist Bee... 1
News What can we do about Wal-Mart? (Jan '13) 19 hr Cyndi 2
Do you know Jeanie Estle (Aug '10) 19 hr Charlie Estle 4
I hate xenia (Jan '10) 19 hr Cyndisucksbawlz 6
More from around the web

Xenia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]