Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
26,841 - 26,860 of 31,108 Comments Last updated 50 min ago
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Question Everything wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Question!
Springboro citizens generously financially support our school superintendent and staff of professional educators to "instruct in an ACCURATE manner based upon...."
So why are we hearing, in public board meetings, the defiance of one of our school employees, Gail Dauber, who argues she is accountable to NO ONE, to teach anything except what is based on HER biased and political opinions? Where is the responsibility in that leadership influence upon the minds of our young people?
And WHY is Gail Dauber rewarded for her poor performances in the board room (in front of the entire community of taxpayers) with THREE supplemental contracts INCREASING her supplemental pay "three fold?"
Approval to Employ Supplemental Personnel Gail Dauber:
HS - Mock Trial $1,514.00
HS - Social Studies Dept. Head $2,270.00
HS - Senior Class Advisor $1,651.00
Which one of our school district leaders approved these supplemental pay increases for Gail Dauber, then sent them to the pubic board meeting to be liberally rubber stamped?
Ask the BOE who voted for it. Some people wonder what's wrong with the current BOE, looks like you just found 1 reason for a change.
Boro parent of two

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't agree more. Funny how when you talk about evolution then we need to present a "controversial view", but when talking about a conservative view on history don't present the librial (controversial) view. These people are all about presenting one side. Some of the things the speaker said tonight are just wrong. He stated he doesn't see race or gender when viewing history?(Must mean he's for gay marriage.) How can you write a book on history without addressing slavery, women's sufferage or Martin Luther King? Guess you only write about what you care about.
Lay it out on the table. Let the students debate creation vs. evolution. If the term "God" is brought up a few times along the way, so what? Let the students debate the perceived rights and wrongs of gay marriage. Let the students debate euthanasia. Let the students debate global climate change.

These and other related issues need to be in the public school curriculum as controversy, and taught as such. The many heated issues our children grow to hear about, day in and day out, logically should never be boiled down to a lopsided bias argument that they would have to be expected to swallow as truth. Especially once they reach the 6th grade or so, students should be encouraged to debate these issues amongst themselves and with their teachers.

Parents, if you're not talking about these things with your adult children you're doing yourself and them a huge dis-service. Teach your children the rules of debate - have respect, stick to the argument, and most importantly never lower yourself to the level of personal attack.
Question Everything

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you not notice 2 people get thrown out of the board meeting a while ago by the BOE president? I have heard several times what types of "speech" will and won't be tolerated in a board room meeting. Why no objection when the sitting BOE stiffles free speech?
There was a meeting where Mr. Miller said the same thing and the sitting BOE president reitterated the point. Not objection then?
Also this was a speaker who was NOT from the district, check the by-laws.
Simply put -- You Are Blinded by Your Own Prejudices. Read My Lips:
Our sitting Springboro BOE has NEVER stiffled free speech.
To argue otherwise is pure foolishness on the part of those who argue foolishly.

Those of us attending last night's board meeting have done our own homework (we haven't "copied" the collective views of our peers); we do not flock together in pre-arranged productions in front of TV cameras, demanding "not in MY community" will free speech be allowed.... and neither will any of those suspicious "outsiders" be allowed inside our hallowed halls of SHS unionism rule.

Many of those attending the board meeting last night came to sit down and listen to a GUEST speaker; and thought it very embarrassing and rude for a Springboro parent to stand up and insult an invited Guest, by her projected pre-judgement of intended hate speech!(Guess Liberals never heard of "innocent till proven guilty)!
Lerxst

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Just giving the rest of the story that Mr. Schweikart left out. Just can't stand to give any Democrat credit can you?
You didn't give a story nor a reason that democrats (or republicans) should be given credit for the numbers you posted. You simply stated job numbers and who happened to be the sitting president at the time. Make the connection between the job numbers and the president's policies and how they translate to increased jobs and I'll give all the credit that is due if you make a cogent and convincing argument. Simply being present when job numbers go up is not enough to claim credit.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Boro parent of two wrote:
<quoted text>
Lay it out on the table. Let the students debate creation vs. evolution. If the term "God" is brought up a few times along the way, so what? Let the students debate the perceived rights and wrongs of gay marriage. Let the students debate euthanasia. Let the students debate global climate change.
These and other related issues need to be in the public school curriculum as controversy, and taught as such. The many heated issues our children grow to hear about, day in and day out, logically should never be boiled down to a lopsided bias argument that they would have to be expected to swallow as truth. Especially once they reach the 6th grade or so, students should be encouraged to debate these issues amongst themselves and with their teachers.
Parents, if you're not talking about these things with your adult children you're doing yourself and them a huge dis-service. Teach your children the rules of debate - have respect, stick to the argument, and most importantly never lower yourself to the level of personal attack.
Isn't that what debate club is for? Again, look at the Dover trial, separation of church and state includes public classes. There are more important things (reading, writhing, arithmatic) that adding to would just take away form the standards and from looking at Doug's postings I never see "controversial debate skills" as a measured criteria.

Seems as though most of us here could have used time in debate club (myself included).
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
To argue otherwise is pure foolishness on the part of those who argue foolishly.
Those of us attending last night's board meeting have done our own homework (we haven't "copied" the collective views of our peers); we do not flock together in pre-arranged productions in front of TV cameras, demanding "not in MY community" will free speech be allowed.... and neither will any of those suspicious "outsiders" be allowed inside our hallowed halls of SHS unionism rule.
Many of those attending the board meeting last night came to sit down and listen to a GUEST speaker; and thought it very embarrassing and rude for a Springboro parent to stand up and insult an invited Guest, by her projected pre-judgement of intended hate speech!(Guess Liberals never heard of "innocent till proven guilty)!
I know what I heard. The BOE has a certain statement they read when they think things may get heated. Also the 2 people thrown out were done so by public record. Read a paper.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Lerxst wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't give a story nor a reason that democrats (or republicans) should be given credit for the numbers you posted. You simply stated job numbers and who happened to be the sitting president at the time. Make the connection between the job numbers and the president's policies and how they translate to increased jobs and I'll give all the credit that is due if you make a cogent and convincing argument. Simply being present when job numbers go up is not enough to claim credit.
Again, you miss the point. You're making my point for me. Schweikart was the one that pointed out the job numbers of Reagan. I was simply presenting the whole story. It's relevance should be a question to Schweikart since he found it important enough to bring up last night.
Question Everything

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask the BOE who voted for it. Some people wonder what's wrong with the current BOE, looks like you just found 1 reason for a change.
One Reason for A Change?

Are you talking about Ron Malone and his bid to gain control of our of school district budget to turn over to the plundering of SEA employees like Gail Dauber?

Hasn't our current BOE requested previously, in public meeting, that these supplemental employment contracts be brought to the board for approval, BEFORE the employees start working? And did you not hear in last night's discussion our current BOE questioning, again, this practice?

The question again, Who is the school administrator who offered the suppplemental contracts that were approved for Gail Dauber night? Who is the school administrator who does the employee evaluations for school employee, Gail Dauber?

The time has come to question everything -- including the chain of command and who is held accountable.
Famous quotes

Xenia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

<quoted text>
"Read my lips" you forgot "..NO NEW TAXES"
Famous quotes

Xenia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

<quoted text>
One Reason for A Change?
Are you talking about Ron Malone and his bid to gain control of our of school district budget to turn over to the plundering of SEA employees like Gail Dauber?
Hasn't our current BOE requested previously, in public meeting, that these supplemental employment contracts be brought to the board for approval, BEFORE the employees start working? And did you not hear in last night's discussion our current BOE questioning, again, this practice?
The question again, Who is the school administrator who offered the suppplemental contracts that were approved for Gail Dauber night? Who is the school administrator who does the employee evaluations for school employee, Gail Dauber?
The time has come to question everything -- including the chain of command and who is held accountable.
Don't hold your breath waiting for answers. Sometimes you'll never get them. Just ask those who questioned the presense of WMD's, the moon landing, JFK assasination or global warming.

The board can't make every little decision. They should approve a budget and let those responsible for managing the budget manage it.

Micormanagement is mismanagement. http://www.nfib.com/business-resources/busine...
Famous quotes

Xenia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
One Reason for A Change?
Oh and where as I may not know who did it. I would suspect the current board approved the position/contract of the person that did.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not see much of a conservative bent in my children's textbooks, but then these textbooks are written primarily for the largest states with the most children in them, all of which happen to be blue states like California, New York, Pennsylvania, the Northeast. It is good business to pander to your largest customers, but that leaves the rest of us with the same books to choose from.
History does not really care what the color of one's skin happens to be. What color was the skin of Rome's ancient enemy the Parthians? How about the Vandals of North Africa? Or the Moors who invaded Spain? Those who stopped Alexander the Great were of what race?
What color of skin enjoyed the greatest degree of slavery in history?
Placing too much influence on external features of the participants rather than focusing on the larger issues at play is akin to not being able to see the forest for the trees.
Thinking as well that all history is only important if it took place in our lifetime scrubs the life from our collective origins.
I disagree whole heartedly with the writer that proposes that only the "real truth" be taught in our schools. Let me ask the reader exactly who will be the arbiter of that truth? Ms. Dauber, Ms Thornberry? I pray not.
History is written by each and every one of us each day of our lives whether we realize it or not. Together we form the culture, the economic output, and the vitality that becomes the tapestry and then the the history of our nation every day.
There is no one right answer in history, it is the collaboration of a thousand eyes discerning facts and reporting such through the prism of the reporter's experience and vantage point.
Let us not embroil ourselves in another phony "crisis" whipped to flames by those with ulterior motives and censorship on the mind.
You left out the Texas blue bloods.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Speak up Boro wrote:
Funny that the very people saying don't make History political are the people that stand up at board meetings and call themselves Liberals and they reject any other message, they walk out on speakers who they don't want to hear, they laugh and scoff at speakers, they are the very people calling the media and the people that don't want our children to be proud of the American heritage. Who do you think is the cause of the controversy in Springboro? They are the group of ladies that sit in the audience at the board meetings and cause the divide and the controversy. The media will not show up any more after saying they have been used enough. The oblivious media even have your number ladies. You showed your colors and they are not blue for boro they are blue for Obama and the like. BTW do not ever use the word conservative to refer to yourself in my presence again Lisa. I won't tolerate the lies anymore.
Make up your mind. Does the "liberal" media have a bias or not? If they do, then they will keep showing up as long as it goes on. It sells papers.
Question Everything

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Let Freedom Ring wrote:
<quoted text>
Freedom is Empowering!
Where is the Partisan or Liberal or Unionism or any other collective clause apart from INDIVISIBLE in our Pledge to OUR flag? Why did we stand in the board room last night and pray this prayer; then immediately have Stephanie B and Don M project division among us because of differing opinions and beliefs?
Where IS the RESPONSIBILITY in this style of narrow minded leadership and poor role modeling of good citizenship?
Are we not to expect this liberal partisan narrow mindedness to become the LAW in the board room IF voters allow Malone/Stuckey/Anderson to hand over control of OUR BOARD to the Springboro Education Association president, Mr. Maney?
Where's the value to our children's 21st century education in
re-instating Ron Malones's failed educational practices of the past?
business stat
No Turning Back

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Famous quotes wrote:
<quoted text>
"Read my lips" you forgot "..NO NEW TAXES"
Excellence is not an act, but a habit.- Aristotle

In the direction of sustainability
DISTRICT TO ASK FOR LOWER TAX MILLAGE IN NOVEMBER

In the football stands on Friday nights, we can see a basic truth: our schools and community are inextricably tied. Public schools serve the community. And the community supports public schools. Today we stand in an almost unheard of place: we are financially prepared to give something back to the taxpayer–to give back to our community by reducing the tax burden. The renewal levy on the ballot in November will be set at a lower millage rate to reduce taxes generated by that levy by nearly 15 percent (a reduction of $1,353,800 per year). There is an assumption that if we are cutting the taxes; we must be cutting back in our schools. This is simply false.

The following needs are in the current budget through 2017:
•high school busing restored
•over $2 million in textbooks and curriculum adoption
•over $2.1 million for new buses
•over $3.7 million in capital needs and deferred maintenance
•over $1.5 million in technology (100 percent WiFi, 1,000 computers, 350 teacher laptops)
•over $7.5 million for our staff in raises and benefit changes
These needs are met in the five-year forecast even with the lower renewal levy.
How is this possible?
•Efficiency plans, reallocating resources, and receiving increased revenue all make the lower renewal levy possible.
•Since 2012-2013, the district has received $3.5 million per year due to tax revenue from the Rocky's Express natural gas pipeline.(A second gas pipeline is being installed through the school district territory; however, the district’s current forecast assumptions DO NOT include projections of any funds it is likely to bring to the district.)
•We recently learned that our district will receive 6.5% more in 2013-2014 than in the previous year from the State of Ohio (approximately $828,000) as well as 10.5% more in 2014-2015 (approximately $1.2 million).
•The May 2013 five-year budget forecast reflected a surplus of $7.55 million in 2017.
•With consideration of additional state revenue and after the approval of contracts with teachers, classified and exempt staff, budget projections still reflect a surplus of $7.2 million in 2017 with the current millage.
•When the proposed decreased renewal levy is applied to budget projections, there is a still a surplus of approximately $3.9 million.
With every step, we are proving that this district--with its record of excellence--is sustainable with an even lower tax burden. We are meeting and exceeding state mandates as well as local expectations. We are building a technology backbone, investing in computers, curriculum, buses and buildings. Most important, we are being honest about what is needed through 2017. This is reform at the local level, and this is working together toward sustainability.

Editorial note: This article is adapted from a blog post by Springboro Board of Education Member David Petroni.

Visit www.springboro.org
Twp resident

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Schweikart's presentation last evening was very professional. No "hate speech" there whatsoever. Quite obviously, the B woman and Miller made fools out of themselves. Maybe next time, they'll hold their respective reviews until AFTER the presentation.

It was interesting to see a number of quizzical and outright shocked expessions on the faces of certain liberal audience members when Schweikart correctly utilized historical inflation comparisons to put "Reagan's debt" into an accurate perspective. America's overall debt was exponentially higher in the years immediately after WWII. This is not political slant. This is fact.

It is an absolute pity that Springboro's curriculum is so politically jaded that students are restricted in their potential growth in that they do not have access to accurate/unbiased historical information.
Celebrate Our Success

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Special Thanks and Great Appreciation are due our current BOE for staying the course doing what's right for our school children and community (even when they are opposed by those who are insanely popular)!

THIS IS REFORM AT THE LOCAL LEVEL, AND THIS IS WORKING TOGETHER TOWARD SUSTAINABILITY!
Question Everything

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Make up your mind. Does the "liberal" media have a bias or not? If they do, then they will keep showing up as long as it goes on. It sells papers.
Doesn't it "sell papers" only to those who buy into the liberal collective bias of the media?

Independent thinkers inform ourselves to attack liberal issues that threaten our principles of fiscal responsibility; we don't try to keep others down; thus allow our weaker nature to become meaner and smaller than our best selves.

Independent thinkers do not feel that someone else ALWAYS has to lose in order for us to win!

"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."
-Clarence Darrow
Boro parent of two

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that what debate club is for? Again, look at the Dover trial, separation of church and state includes public classes. There are more important things (reading, writhing, arithmatic) that adding to would just take away form the standards and from looking at Doug's postings I never see "controversial debate skills" as a measured criteria.
Seems as though most of us here could have used time in debate club (myself included).
Virtually every child plays soccer in gym classes, yet at the same time each school has organized (voluntary) soccer teams.
Children play touch football on the playground, yet each school has organized (voluntary) football squads.
This same logic applies to debate clubs. Debate clubs are meant for a higher echelon of skill.

Do not attempt to departmentalize our childrens success.
In order to be able to have a chance at success in this global economy, each and every student should learn the basic ins and outs of debate. Debate skills are needed all the time, from convincing a banker of your credibility during a car or home purchase, or negotiating contract terms on a personal loan.
Oftentimes, a rebuttal is brought up that there's not enough time in the curriculum to add things like student debate. My answer to that - how many times per year does Springboro schools have stupid 1 hour "late start" days? Get rid of late start days! If and when a meeting is necessary, Boro teachers need to be doing what teachers did two and three generations ago, and that's COME TO SCHOOL EARLY or STAY LATER.

There! I just freed up about five or six hours worth of debate time for our students!
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Doesn't it "sell papers" only to those who buy into the liberal collective bias of the media?
Independent thinkers inform ourselves to attack liberal issues that threaten our principles of fiscal responsibility; we don't try to keep others down; thus allow our weaker nature to become meaner and smaller than our best selves.
Independent thinkers do not feel that someone else ALWAYS has to lose in order for us to win!
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."
-Clarence Darrow
So you are saying the only issue that threten our principles are Liberal issues? That's close-minded. Do you ever question conservatives? Isn't that a Librals ALWAYS lose attitude? You should re-read your post.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Xenia Discussions

Search the Xenia Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 20 min Old Guy 29,118
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Samuel 18,541
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 4 hr not 2,214
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 15 hr They cannot kill a Spook 231
Let's remember our constitution and national debt. 16 hr The Hack Checker 2
Brits want to stop female genital mutilation! 16 hr The Hack Checker 3
Michael Bloomturd has landed in Tel Aviv! 16 hr The Hack Checker 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Xenia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••