Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,801

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Read more
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27319 Sep 12, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
The speaker tonight also stated about how many jobs Reagan created, didn't mention Clinton almost doubled his numbers.(numbers are in thousands)
Ronald Reagan R 1981–1985 +5,322 +1.43%
Ronald Reagan R 1985–1989 +10,780 +2.69%
George H. W. Bush R 1989–1993 +2,593 +0.60%
Bill Clinton D 1993–1997 +11,507 +2.52%
Bill Clinton D 1997–2001 +11,233 +2.24%
George W. Bush R 2001–2005 -13 -0.00%
George W. Bush R 2005–2009 +1,129 +0.21%
Barack Obama D 2009–2013 +1,208 +0.23%
taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jobs_created_dur...
You do of course know that not one of those presidents created job one in the private sector for anyone.

Not one.

If you are going to present credit to someone that credit needs to first and foremost to one Paul Volcker. He was Chairman of the Federal Reserve under Presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan from August 1979 to August 1987. He is widely credited with ending the high levels of inflation seen in the United States during the 1970s and early 1980s. Mr. Volcker had the guts to wring the inflation out of the economy so real growth could once again sustain itself.

Following the monetarist teachings of influential University of Chicago economist Milton Friedman, Volcker resolved to "slay the inflationary dragon" by sharply curtailing the growth of the money supply. That monetary contraction, imposed starting in 1980, succeeded in its primary objective; the inflation rate fell from a devastating high of 13.5% in 1980 to just 3.2% by 1983.19 However, it also produced a sharp jump in real interest rates that contributed to the brutal recession of 1981-82. The national unemployment rate exceeded 10% throughout 1982, rendering more Americans jobless than at any time since the Great Depression.(Not coincidentally, President Reagan's public approval rating bottomed out at just 35% that same year.)

To his great credit, however, Reagan stuck by Volcker even when it would have been politically expedient for him to pressure the Fed Chairman to expand the money supply to provide a short-term boost to the economy. Both men's patience paid off after 1983, when—with inflation under control at last—the economy began growing again. That growth continued, unabated, through the rest of Reagan's two-term presidency, marking the longest peacetime period of unbroken economic expansion yet seen in American history.(An even longer boom would occur a decade later, during a Bill Clinton presidency that largely followed Reagan's lead in economic policy.) Overall, between 1981 and 1989, real GDP per capita increased by nearly 23%; in the same span of time, the value of the stock market more than tripled.

That burst of twenty years of effectively sustained growth was the result of the foundation laid by Mr. Volcker and Mr. Reagan. The Clinton "boom" was also the beneficiary of the Congressional elections of 1994 when Republicans began control of the House for more than two years for the first time since 1931. The Clinton boom most surely would never have occurred had not Reagan stayed the course in 1981 and 1982.

The economy works best when the central planners are left out in the cold.
Do your homework

Maineville, OH

#27320 Sep 12, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
You do of course know that not one of those presidents created job one in the private sector for anyone.
Not one.
If you are going to present credit to someone that credit needs to first and foremost to one Paul Volcker. He was Chairman of the Federal Reserve under Presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan from August 1979 to August 1987. He is widely credited with ending the high levels of inflation seen in the United States during the 1970s and early 1980s. Mr. Volcker had the guts to wring the inflation out of the economy so real growth could once again sustain itself.
Following the monetarist teachings of influential University of Chicago economist Milton Friedman, Volcker resolved to "slay the inflationary dragon" by sharply curtailing the growth of the money supply. That monetary contraction, imposed starting in 1980, succeeded in its primary objective; the inflation rate fell from a devastating high of 13.5% in 1980 to just 3.2% by 1983.19 However, it also produced a sharp jump in real interest rates that contributed to the brutal recession of 1981-82. The national unemployment rate exceeded 10% throughout 1982, rendering more Americans jobless than at any time since the Great Depression.(Not coincidentally, President Reagan's public approval rating bottomed out at just 35% that same year.)
To his great credit, however, Reagan stuck by Volcker even when it would have been politically expedient for him to pressure the Fed Chairman to expand the money supply to provide a short-term boost to the economy. Both men's patience paid off after 1983, when—with inflation under control at last—the economy began growing again. That growth continued, unabated, through the rest of Reagan's two-term presidency, marking the longest peacetime period of unbroken economic expansion yet seen in American history.(An even longer boom would occur a decade later, during a Bill Clinton presidency that largely followed Reagan's lead in economic policy.) Overall, between 1981 and 1989, real GDP per capita increased by nearly 23%; in the same span of time, the value of the stock market more than tripled.
That burst of twenty years of effectively sustained growth was the result of the foundation laid by Mr. Volcker and Mr. Reagan. The Clinton "boom" was also the beneficiary of the Congressional elections of 1994 when Republicans began control of the House for more than two years for the first time since 1931. The Clinton boom most surely would never have occurred had not Reagan stayed the course in 1981 and 1982.
The economy works best when the central planners are left out in the cold.
Good god tell it to Schweikart, he brought it up. The stock market is now at it's highest it's ever been. It was just under 8,000 when Obama took office. It has climbed over 7,000 during the Obama presidency (almost doubling). But I'm guessing you'll find a way to not give him credit for that.

Let the partison rant begin....GO
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27321 Sep 12, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't agree more. Funny how when you talk about evolution then we need to present a "controversial view", but when talking about a conservative view on history don't present the librial (controversial) view. These people are all about presenting one side. Some of the things the speaker said tonight are just wrong. He stated he doesn't see race or gender when viewing history?(Must mean he's for gay marriage.) How can you write a book on history without addressing slavery, women's sufferage or Martin Luther King? Guess you only write about what you care about.
I do not see much of a conservative bent in my children's textbooks, but then these textbooks are written primarily for the largest states with the most children in them, all of which happen to be blue states like California, New York, Pennsylvania, the Northeast. It is good business to pander to your largest customers, but that leaves the rest of us with the same books to choose from.

History does not really care what the color of one's skin happens to be. What color was the skin of Rome's ancient enemy the Parthians? How about the Vandals of North Africa? Or the Moors who invaded Spain? Those who stopped Alexander the Great were of what race?
What color of skin enjoyed the greatest degree of slavery in history?

Placing too much influence on external features of the participants rather than focusing on the larger issues at play is akin to not being able to see the forest for the trees.

Thinking as well that all history is only important if it took place in our lifetime scrubs the life from our collective origins.

I disagree whole heartedly with the writer that proposes that only the "real truth" be taught in our schools. Let me ask the reader exactly who will be the arbiter of that truth? Ms. Dauber, Ms Thornberry? I pray not.

History is written by each and every one of us each day of our lives whether we realize it or not. Together we form the culture, the economic output, and the vitality that becomes the tapestry and then the the history of our nation every day.

There is no one right answer in history, it is the collaboration of a thousand eyes discerning facts and reporting such through the prism of the reporter's experience and vantage point.

Let us not embroil ourselves in another phony "crisis" whipped to flames by those with ulterior motives and censorship on the mind.
What is true

Springboro, OH

#27322 Sep 13, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually he stated "as a conservative he REJECTS race, gender and class and their effect on history"
I did not hear him say he rejects stupid so you are good Stephany Bend-a-be
What is true

Springboro, OH

#27323 Sep 13, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
The speaker tonight also stated about how many jobs Reagan created, didn't mention Clinton almost doubled his numbers.(numbers are in thousands)
Unfortunately every time we think of Clinton we get sick to our stomachs thinking of what he did in the oval office. Oh, there was a job all right.
Tell the truth

Springboro, OH

#27324 Sep 13, 2013
Steph, do you ever get the impression that your performances are for an audience of one? Maybe you can think about doing them in front of your mirror and pray it does not crack.

Ok Ok you do these for the likes of Lisa Babb and Debbie Christian and Robinson and the pack of wolves roaming in a pack. What the rest of us see is the divisive, drooling, snarling, rabid wolf pack just waiting to consume a conservative if they see one.
The rude, immature behaviors we saw last night were only a typical behavior of desperate losers.
You are hurting our children please stop and get treatment.
Speak up Boro

Springboro, OH

#27325 Sep 13, 2013
Funny that the very people saying don't make History political are the people that stand up at board meetings and call themselves Liberals and they reject any other message, they walk out on speakers who they don't want to hear, they laugh and scoff at speakers, they are the very people calling the media and the people that don't want our children to be proud of the American heritage. Who do you think is the cause of the controversy in Springboro? They are the group of ladies that sit in the audience at the board meetings and cause the divide and the controversy. The media will not show up any more after saying they have been used enough. The oblivious media even have your number ladies. You showed your colors and they are not blue for boro they are blue for Obama and the like. BTW do not ever use the word conservative to refer to yourself in my presence again Lisa. I won't tolerate the lies anymore.
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27326 Sep 13, 2013
Did anyone else notice school board candidates, Ron Malone and David Stuckey, smiling and nodding at last night's board meeting, as board member Don Miller joined with potty mouth Springboro parent, Stephanie B, to "warn" our guest speaker that they would not listen to hate speech?
Did anyone else notice, on her walk out of the board room (in her protest of free speech) that she stopped by to get her pat on the head from school board candidates Ron Malone and David Stuckey?
Inquiring minds are asking ourselves if this protest against free spech in our board room, that was witnessed in Springboro school board meeting last night, will become Policy, if Ron Malone's threats to gain control of our school board majority becomes a reality in November's election.
Lerxst

Girard, OH

#27327 Sep 13, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
Oh brother, give me a break. You list above is for "jobs created." Not "jobs created by." The jobs created under Clinton were the result of the dot com boom.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27328 Sep 13, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not see much of a conservative bent in my children's textbooks, but then these textbooks are written primarily for the largest states with the most children in them, all of which happen to be blue states like California, New York, Pennsylvania, the Northeast. It is good business to pander to your largest customers, but that leaves the rest of us with the same books to choose from.
History does not really care what the color of one's skin happens to be. What color was the skin of Rome's ancient enemy the Parthians? How about the Vandals of North Africa? Or the Moors who invaded Spain? Those who stopped Alexander the Great were of what race?
What color of skin enjoyed the greatest degree of slavery in history?
Placing too much influence on external features of the participants rather than focusing on the larger issues at play is akin to not being able to see the forest for the trees.
Thinking as well that all history is only important if it took place in our lifetime scrubs the life from our collective origins.
I disagree whole heartedly with the writer that proposes that only the "real truth" be taught in our schools. Let me ask the reader exactly who will be the arbiter of that truth? Ms. Dauber, Ms Thornberry? I pray not.
History is written by each and every one of us each day of our lives whether we realize it or not. Together we form the culture, the economic output, and the vitality that becomes the tapestry and then the the history of our nation every day.
There is no one right answer in history, it is the collaboration of a thousand eyes discerning facts and reporting such through the prism of the reporter's experience and vantage point.
Let us not embroil ourselves in another phony "crisis" whipped to flames by those with ulterior motives and censorship on the mind.
So the civil rights movement was about character not color? "Mean people" had to sit in the back of the bus? Seperate restrooms for those we do and do not agree with? I notice you didn't cover the gender issue either. Women's role in history was just not that important to some. The KKK played a significant role in our history, did they see color?
I agree tht not one book alone can give an accurate account of history which is why I wasn't against 2 chapters being used out of Zinn's book. As far as a phony "crisis" most see Republican and associate it with Christianity. I think it's high time the Conservatives seperate themselves with the Republicans. Truth be told, Republican's shouls stop pandering to the religous right. Of course then the religous right would have to actually look at each candidate on their own merits instead of party affiliation. I'm actually for disolving all political parties altogether. The way it is now it's either for the Democrats by the Democrats or for the Republicans by the Republicans where it should be as it states for the PEOPLE by the PEOPLE. But that idea is about as radical as putting "In America We Trust" or "In Unity We Trust" on our currency. I beleive in God AND Country. Just my thoughts.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27329 Sep 13, 2013
Lerxst wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh brother, give me a break. You list above is for "jobs created." Not "jobs created by." The jobs created under Clinton were the result of the dot com boom.
Just giving the rest of the story that Mr. Schweikart left out. Just can't stand to give any Democrat credit can you?
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27330 Sep 13, 2013
Question Everything wrote:
Did anyone else notice school board candidates, Ron Malone and David Stuckey, smiling and nodding at last night's board meeting, as board member Don Miller joined with potty mouth Springboro parent, Stephanie B, to "warn" our guest speaker that they would not listen to hate speech?
Did anyone else notice, on her walk out of the board room (in her protest of free speech) that she stopped by to get her pat on the head from school board candidates Ron Malone and David Stuckey?
Inquiring minds are asking ourselves if this protest against free spech in our board room, that was witnessed in Springboro school board meeting last night, will become Policy, if Ron Malone's threats to gain control of our school board majority becomes a reality in November's election.
Did you not notice 2 people get thrown out of the board meeting a while ago by the BOE president? I have heard several times what types of "speech" will and won't be tolerated in a board room meeting. Why no objection when the sitting BOE stiffles free speech?

There was a meeting where Mr. Miller said the same thing and the sitting BOE president reitterated the point. Not objection then?

Also this was a speaker who was NOT from the district, check the by-laws.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27331 Sep 13, 2013
What is true wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not hear him say he rejects stupid so you are good Stephany Bend-a-be
More with the name-calling.

Attention 1st graders! Class is in session...
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27332 Sep 13, 2013
Boro parent of two wrote:
<quoted text>
For the sake of our childrens' futures and for the sake of this nation's continued existence why not put partisan politics aside? Why not simply insist that American History be written and instructed in an ACCURATE manner based upon the most irrefutable evidence and documentation available?
Good Question!

Springboro citizens generously financially support our school superintendent and staff of professional educators to "instruct in an ACCURATE manner based upon...."

So why are we hearing, in public board meetings, the defiance of one of our school employees, Gail Dauber, who argues she is accountable to NO ONE, to teach anything except what is based on HER biased and political opinions? Where is the responsibility in that leadership influence upon the minds of our young people?

And WHY is Gail Dauber rewarded for her poor performances in the board room (in front of the entire community of taxpayers) with THREE supplemental contracts INCREASING her supplemental pay "three fold?"

Approval to Employ Supplemental Personnel Gail Dauber:
HS - Mock Trial $1,514.00
HS - Social Studies Dept. Head $2,270.00
HS - Senior Class Advisor $1,651.00

Which one of our school district leaders approved these supplemental pay increases for Gail Dauber, then sent them to the pubic board meeting to be liberally rubber stamped?
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27333 Sep 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Good Question!
Springboro citizens generously financially support our school superintendent and staff of professional educators to "instruct in an ACCURATE manner based upon...."
So why are we hearing, in public board meetings, the defiance of one of our school employees, Gail Dauber, who argues she is accountable to NO ONE, to teach anything except what is based on HER biased and political opinions? Where is the responsibility in that leadership influence upon the minds of our young people?
And WHY is Gail Dauber rewarded for her poor performances in the board room (in front of the entire community of taxpayers) with THREE supplemental contracts INCREASING her supplemental pay "three fold?"
Approval to Employ Supplemental Personnel Gail Dauber:
HS - Mock Trial $1,514.00
HS - Social Studies Dept. Head $2,270.00
HS - Senior Class Advisor $1,651.00
Which one of our school district leaders approved these supplemental pay increases for Gail Dauber, then sent them to the pubic board meeting to be liberally rubber stamped?
Ask the BOE who voted for it. Some people wonder what's wrong with the current BOE, looks like you just found 1 reason for a change.
Boro parent of two

Girard, OH

#27334 Sep 13, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't agree more. Funny how when you talk about evolution then we need to present a "controversial view", but when talking about a conservative view on history don't present the librial (controversial) view. These people are all about presenting one side. Some of the things the speaker said tonight are just wrong. He stated he doesn't see race or gender when viewing history?(Must mean he's for gay marriage.) How can you write a book on history without addressing slavery, women's sufferage or Martin Luther King? Guess you only write about what you care about.
Lay it out on the table. Let the students debate creation vs. evolution. If the term "God" is brought up a few times along the way, so what? Let the students debate the perceived rights and wrongs of gay marriage. Let the students debate euthanasia. Let the students debate global climate change.

These and other related issues need to be in the public school curriculum as controversy, and taught as such. The many heated issues our children grow to hear about, day in and day out, logically should never be boiled down to a lopsided bias argument that they would have to be expected to swallow as truth. Especially once they reach the 6th grade or so, students should be encouraged to debate these issues amongst themselves and with their teachers.

Parents, if you're not talking about these things with your adult children you're doing yourself and them a huge dis-service. Teach your children the rules of debate - have respect, stick to the argument, and most importantly never lower yourself to the level of personal attack.
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27335 Sep 13, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you not notice 2 people get thrown out of the board meeting a while ago by the BOE president? I have heard several times what types of "speech" will and won't be tolerated in a board room meeting. Why no objection when the sitting BOE stiffles free speech?
There was a meeting where Mr. Miller said the same thing and the sitting BOE president reitterated the point. Not objection then?
Also this was a speaker who was NOT from the district, check the by-laws.
Simply put -- You Are Blinded by Your Own Prejudices. Read My Lips:
Our sitting Springboro BOE has NEVER stiffled free speech.
To argue otherwise is pure foolishness on the part of those who argue foolishly.

Those of us attending last night's board meeting have done our own homework (we haven't "copied" the collective views of our peers); we do not flock together in pre-arranged productions in front of TV cameras, demanding "not in MY community" will free speech be allowed.... and neither will any of those suspicious "outsiders" be allowed inside our hallowed halls of SHS unionism rule.

Many of those attending the board meeting last night came to sit down and listen to a GUEST speaker; and thought it very embarrassing and rude for a Springboro parent to stand up and insult an invited Guest, by her projected pre-judgement of intended hate speech!(Guess Liberals never heard of "innocent till proven guilty)!
Lerxst

Girard, OH

#27336 Sep 13, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Just giving the rest of the story that Mr. Schweikart left out. Just can't stand to give any Democrat credit can you?
You didn't give a story nor a reason that democrats (or republicans) should be given credit for the numbers you posted. You simply stated job numbers and who happened to be the sitting president at the time. Make the connection between the job numbers and the president's policies and how they translate to increased jobs and I'll give all the credit that is due if you make a cogent and convincing argument. Simply being present when job numbers go up is not enough to claim credit.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27337 Sep 13, 2013
Boro parent of two wrote:
<quoted text>
Lay it out on the table. Let the students debate creation vs. evolution. If the term "God" is brought up a few times along the way, so what? Let the students debate the perceived rights and wrongs of gay marriage. Let the students debate euthanasia. Let the students debate global climate change.
These and other related issues need to be in the public school curriculum as controversy, and taught as such. The many heated issues our children grow to hear about, day in and day out, logically should never be boiled down to a lopsided bias argument that they would have to be expected to swallow as truth. Especially once they reach the 6th grade or so, students should be encouraged to debate these issues amongst themselves and with their teachers.
Parents, if you're not talking about these things with your adult children you're doing yourself and them a huge dis-service. Teach your children the rules of debate - have respect, stick to the argument, and most importantly never lower yourself to the level of personal attack.
Isn't that what debate club is for? Again, look at the Dover trial, separation of church and state includes public classes. There are more important things (reading, writhing, arithmatic) that adding to would just take away form the standards and from looking at Doug's postings I never see "controversial debate skills" as a measured criteria.

Seems as though most of us here could have used time in debate club (myself included).
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27338 Sep 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Simply put -- You Are Blinded by Your Own Prejudices. Read My Lips:
Our sitting Springboro BOE has NEVER stiffled free speech.
To argue otherwise is pure foolishness on the part of those who argue foolishly.
Those of us attending last night's board meeting have done our own homework (we haven't "copied" the collective views of our peers); we do not flock together in pre-arranged productions in front of TV cameras, demanding "not in MY community" will free speech be allowed.... and neither will any of those suspicious "outsiders" be allowed inside our hallowed halls of SHS unionism rule.
Many of those attending the board meeting last night came to sit down and listen to a GUEST speaker; and thought it very embarrassing and rude for a Springboro parent to stand up and insult an invited Guest, by her projected pre-judgement of intended hate speech!(Guess Liberals never heard of "innocent till proven guilty)!
I know what I heard. The BOE has a certain statement they read when they think things may get heated. Also the 2 people thrown out were done so by public record. Read a paper.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Is it racist hate to question the Welfare State?" 9 hr Sky King 10
Things are hard for retards 9 hr Sky King 2
News Smoking-violation fines go unpaid (May '11) 11 hr Schmones 56
Is it racist to equate race with welfare? 16 hr Net Nut 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 17 hr trying 19,718
News Ohio microwave-baby mom to be sentenced (Sep '08) Fri Juliannetyreece 8
Leon and his perverted rants Fri Fan of Leon The Man 2
Xenia Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Xenia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]