Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
26,801 - 26,820 of 31,195 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
truth to power

Girard, OH

#27293 Sep 12, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Speakers like this is EXACTLY why the BOE needs to be changed. There were about $250,000 in budget items that are not budgeted for, overcrowded class rooms and this is what we have during school board meetings? I'm guessing his connection to Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh have nothing to do with why a non-Springboro resident is speaking at a School Board Meeting.
Mark my words, as long as the board keeps stunts like this up, the are ENSURING VICTORY for MSA in November.
Taken from a review:
"7 Events That Made America America is a conservative's look at what the author thinks are some important moments in the history of the USA. Mr. Schweikart is an excellent writer and he puts his points across well. The seven events he thinks are of critical importance are: 1. Martin Van Buren's idea about political parties (the spoils system) 2. The Dread Scott decision 3. The Johnstown flood 4. Eisenhower's heart attack 5. Western rock and roll penetrates the iron curtain 6. Ronald Regan's sending the Marines to Lebanon 7. Obama's favorable media treatment. "
He actually blames Reagan for pulling out of Lebanon. From another review: "Ronald Regan was a great president, but he made some serious mistakes. And the one that we are still paying for is his pull out of Lebanon after more than a hundred Marines were killed by a truck bomb. You can debate whether we should have been there or how the marines should have been better deployed, but the reality is that by pulling out, in the eyes of the Muslim fundamentalists that became Al Queda and similar organizations, we shamed ourselves. "
Even more interesting is what his students say about him. He's great as long as you don't try to bring up contradictory FACTS in his class. So much for presenting "both sides" bet he's not much for "controversial issues".
Look at America's average public school classroom size compared to most of the rest of the world. The problem is NOT classroom size. The core problem in America's public schools is a consistent flow of feminist and liberal sponsored bull#### being programmed into our childrens minds via brainwashed educators.
over the edge

Girard, OH

#27294 Sep 12, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually feel pretty good. You have good advice, question everything. That includes questioning you! How often have you done that?
Wow!
Is it nappy time?
May I help to soothe this crisis by calling in your psych med refill?
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27295 Sep 12, 2013
over the edge wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
Is it nappy time?
May I help to soothe this crisis by calling in your psych med refill?
No need, but in the spirit of questioning everything can I call your refill in for you?
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27296 Sep 12, 2013
Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners are questiong WHY our Springboro Education Association employees find it such hard duty teaching our students the TRUTH about the History of our Great American History! Somehow, it just doesn't seem very professional (or smart!).

"Teaching should be such that what is offered is perceived as a valuable gift and not as a hard duty." -Albert Einstein
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27297 Sep 12, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't notice the citing for your "baby dung" comment either. I'm also guessing you suggest that trickle-down worked? How long till it trickles down....

Doug Wiedeman wrote:

Just look down your leg

Wow, nice defense. Your reputation is again preceding you, all the personal attacks. You must watch Glenn Beck.
BTW. I thoguht that Reagan's trickle down was a load of sh*t also.
What is running down your leg is most likely self induced.
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27298 Sep 12, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure that by your post you must have SEVERAL books on religions other than your own, since each has a different view on WHY we are here and WHAT being here means.
How often do you question your pastor? How often do you question your God?
OK - Let's play your silly game of ignorant interrogation!
It is NONE of YOUR business because I do not work for YOU!
(Did you know -- You remind me of Principal Ron's Kids taunting the BOE elected officials "which one of you is lying?" Were you there in the SHS auditorium last March 2012, watching Principal Ron smile and nod in approval as his kids performed his acts of "public and embarassing defiance? Where's the "excellence"
in that insanely popular leadership?)

However, it is MY business to question everything about the Springboro Schools Curriculum that is purchased with taxpayers money to teach our students a quality education that goes "beyond" the Social Studies director's narrow vision of keeping our kids left behind in global learning.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27299 Sep 12, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
What is running down your leg is most likely self induced.
How did you know I voted for Reagan!
Stay Focused

Akron, OH

#27300 Sep 12, 2013
In the direction of sustainability
DISTRICT TO ASK FOR LOWER TAX MILLAGE IN NOVEMBER

In the football stands on Friday nights, we can see a basic truth: our schools and community are inextricably tied. Public schools serve the community. And the community supports public schools. Today we stand in an almost unheard of place: we are financially prepared to give something back to the taxpayer–to give back to our community by reducing the tax burden. The renewal levy on the ballot in November will be set at a lower millage rate to reduce taxes generated by that levy by nearly 15 percent (a reduction of $1,353,800 per year). There is an assumption that if we are cutting the taxes; we must be cutting back in our schools. This is simply false.

The following needs are in the current budget through 2017:
•high school busing restored
•over $2 million in textbooks and curriculum adoption
•over $2.1 million for new buses
•over $3.7 million in capital needs and deferred maintenance
•over $1.5 million in technology (100 percent WiFi, 1,000 computers, 350 teacher laptops)
•over $7.5 million for our staff in raises and benefit changes
These needs are met in the five-year forecast even with the lower renewal levy.
How is this possible?
•Efficiency plans, reallocating resources, and receiving increased revenue all make the lower renewal levy possible.
•Since 2012-2013, the district has received $3.5 million per year due to tax revenue from the Rocky's Express natural gas pipeline.(A second gas pipeline is being installed through the school district territory; however, the district’s current forecast assumptions DO NOT include projections of any funds it is likely to bring to the district.)
•We recently learned that our district will receive 6.5% more in 2013-2014 than in the previous year from the State of Ohio (approximately $828,000) as well as 10.5% more in 2014-2015 (approximately $1.2 million).
•The May 2013 five-year budget forecast reflected a surplus of $7.55 million in 2017.
•With consideration of additional state revenue and after the approval of contracts with teachers, classified and exempt staff, budget projections still reflect a surplus of $7.2 million in 2017 with the current millage.
•When the proposed decreased renewal levy is applied to budget projections, there is a still a surplus of approximately $3.9 million.
With every step, we are proving that this district--with its record of excellence--is sustainable with an even lower tax burden. We are meeting and exceeding state mandates as well as local expectations. We are building a technology backbone, investing in computers, curriculum, buses and buildings. Most important, we are being honest about what is needed through 2017. This is reform at the local level, and this is working together toward sustainability.

Editorial note: This article is adapted from a blog post by Springboro Board of Education Member David Petroni.

Visit www.springboro.org
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27301 Sep 12, 2013
Question Everything wrote:
<quoted text>
OK - Let's play your silly game of ignorant interrogation!
It is NONE of YOUR business because I do not work for YOU!
(Did you know -- You remind me of Principal Ron's Kids taunting the BOE elected officials "which one of you is lying?" Were you there in the SHS auditorium last March 2012, watching Principal Ron smile and nod in approval as his kids performed his acts of "public and embarassing defiance? Where's the "excellence"
in that insanely popular leadership?)
However, it is MY business to question everything about the Springboro Schools Curriculum that is purchased with taxpayers money to teach our students a quality education that goes "beyond" the Social Studies director's narrow vision of keeping our kids left behind in global learning.
What social studies direcor and what "global" learning.(global to mean they teach it everywhere around the globe global, including China??)

Just questioning....
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27302 Sep 12, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
How did you know I voted for Reagan!
Good for you.
Words of Wisdom

Akron, OH

#27303 Sep 12, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
What social studies direcor and what "global" learning.(global to mean they teach it everywhere around the globe global, including China??)
Just questioning....
I try to be really aware (of differences among students), and I am always working on it. I am not very critical of other people..you have to be nonjudgemental. You have to be supportive. To me, that is how you deliver messages and change minds.
(Bill Simpson)
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27304 Sep 12, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Just questioning....
Would that be Ms Dauber?
Did You Know

Akron, OH

#27305 Sep 12, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Just questioning....
In 2009, 51 percent of U.S. patents were awarded to non-U.S. companies. Only four of the top ten companies receiving
U.S. patents last year were U.S companies.

Federal funding of research in the physical sciences as a fraction of GDP fell by 54 percent in the twenty-five years after 1970. The decline in engineering funding was 51 percent.

Sixty-nine percent of U.S. public school students in the fifth through eighth grade are taught mathematics by a teacher without a degree or certificate in mathematics.

Nine-three percent of U.S. public school students in the fifth through eighth grade are taught the physical sciences by a teacher without a degree or certificate in the physical sciences.

The total annual federal investment in research in mathematics, the physical sciences, and engineering is now equal to the increase in U.S. health-care costs every nine weeks.

China's Tsinghya and Peking Universities are the two largest suppliers of students who receive Ph.D's -- in the United States....

and fnally.... 49 percent of U.S. adults do not know how long it takes for the Earth to revolve around the Sun.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27306 Sep 12, 2013
Did You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2009, 51 percent of U.S. patents were awarded to non-U.S. companies. Only four of the top ten companies receiving
Federal funding of research in the physical sciences as a fraction of GDP fell by 54 percent in the twenty-five years after 1970. The decline in engineering funding was 51 percent.
Sixty-nine percent of U.S. public school students in the fifth through eighth grade are taught mathematics by a teacher without a degree or certificate in mathematics.
Nine-three percent of U.S. public school students in the fifth through eighth grade are taught the physical sciences by a teacher without a degree or certificate in the physical sciences.
The total annual federal investment in research in mathematics, the physical sciences, and engineering is now equal to the increase in U.S. health-care costs every nine weeks.
China's Tsinghya and Peking Universities are the two largest suppliers of students who receive Ph.D's -- in the United States....
and fnally.... 49 percent of U.S. adults do not know how long it takes for the Earth to revolve around the Sun.
Actually 49% is a little off:
"
•Only 53% of adults know how long it takes for the Earth to revolve around the Sun.
•Only 59% of adults know that the earliest humans and dinosaurs did not live at the same time.
•Only 47% of adults can roughly approximate the percent of the Earth's surface that is covered with water.*
•Only 21% of adults answered all three questions correctly.
"
- http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/...

I find the second one particularly interesting...
The More You Know

Akron, OH

#27307 Sep 12, 2013
Question Everything wrote:
Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners are questiong WHY our Springboro Education Association employees find it such hard duty teaching our students the TRUTH about the History of our Great American History! Somehow, it just doesn't seem very professional (or smart!).
"Teaching should be such that what is offered is perceived as a valuable gift and not as a hard duty." -Albert Einstein
Praise for: A Patriot's History of the United States!
"A welcome, refreshing, and solid contribution to relearning what we have forgotten and remembering why this nation is good, and worth defending." - National Review
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27308 Sep 12, 2013
Did You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
I am guessing you support the common core since you cited many facts from STEM (science common core).
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27309 Sep 12, 2013
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
Praise for: A Patriot's History of the United States!
"A welcome, refreshing, and solid contribution to relearning what we have forgotten and remembering why this nation is good, and worth defending." - National Review
What else would you expect from the National Review.(Conservative commentary on American politics, news and culture.)
Any non-partisan praise?
The More You Know

Akron, OH

#27310 Sep 12, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Would that be Ms Dauber?
In praise for:
48 Liberal Lies About American History

When students learn the facts about our country, the good and the bad, the story that emerges excites and inspires! Dr. Schweikart cuts through the ideology that characterizes too many history books and describes events and individuals of America's history as we should know them, based on the facts."
(AZ U.S Senator Jon Kyl)
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27311 Sep 12, 2013
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
In praise for:
48 Liberal Lies About American History
When students learn the facts about our country, the good and the bad, the story that emerges excites and inspires! Dr. Schweikart cuts through the ideology that characterizes too many history books and describes events and individuals of America's history as we should know them, based on the facts."
(AZ U.S Senator Jon Kyl)
You forgot to mention that Jon Kyl "served as Senate Minority Whip, the second-highest position in the Republican Senate leadership" - Wikipedia

Again, partisan.
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27312 Sep 12, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to mention that Jon Kyl "served as Senate Minority Whip, the second-highest position in the Republican Senate leadership" - Wikipedia
Again, partisan.
Again, partisan or whatever, what's in a name?

Springboro schools professional educators, no matter their politics of Unionism, are accountable to school district taxpayers to provide a quality 21st century classroom education, and that includes using curriculum that presents a fluid account of America from the discovery of the Continent up to the present day.
Truth is Truth. No Question About It. Our Children's Future Depends Upon It!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 13 min Canton 30,484
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr The real deal AB 18,865
Ohio attorney general appoints special prosecut... 3 hr Le Jimbo 30
This is why I am an Ann Fan! 18 hr Ann Fan 1
Found dog! (Dec '13) Wed Hero Officer Wilson 7
Andy's Dean's "America Now" cancelled! Wed Gun Nut 38
Be respectful Aug 26 Mike Brown High C... 2
•••
•••
•••

Xenia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••