Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31918 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Ask Ron Malone

Cincinnati, OH

#27181 Sep 4, 2013
Clemmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Here here. Who needs balanced budgets, surpluses, lower property taxes, lower pay to play fees and busing anyway? That's right, let's dump all that success and get back to a normal, civilized, student-first educational system in Springboro.
(Q)is it true that Malone questions the school board's
direction of of balanced budgets, surpluses, lower property taxes, lower pay to play fees and busing?
What do you think of the school board's direction?

(A)That's right, let's dump all that success and get back to a normal, civilized, student-first educational system in Springboro.

........We shouldn't do anything to minimize that.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27182 Sep 5, 2013
3r grade OAA math question, because its never to early to not learn how to add these two numbers.

8. Which is a reasonable estimate for the sum of 312 and 105?
A. 400
B. 500
C. 600

6th grade OAA math question, because leaning what Archimedes deduced 2250 years ago is not worthy of our attention today.(pi = 3.14 in the roughest translation)

3. Mary knows that the circumference of a circle is about three times its diameter. She made her mother a vase in the shape of a cylinder.

8 inches diameter
10 inches height

About how much material does she need to cover the outside of the vase, not including the bottom?

A. 80 square inches
B. 120 square inches
C. 250 square inches
D. 500 square inches

Teaching children how to guestimate rather than solving the problem correctly manages to skip a few steps in the educational process.

An entire course of study that neglects the foundational material to the benefit of "FUZZY" math will serve no ones best interests.

Teach the basics, ground the children with a solid foundation, and build upon that base of knowledge to improve the child's deductive and logic skills. This can only be accomplished by solving math problems correctly.

4x2 will never equal 7, teaching children that close is good enough will leave them in the dust of global competition.

Raise our local standards to ones which will allow our children to compete on the world stage.
No Turning Back

Akron, OH

#27183 Sep 5, 2013
Why should our kids be left behind with "the bottom line" in November 2013?

Springboro families DEMAND that we continue in the direction of raising the bar for our 21st century classroom education.
Direction of Leadership

Cleveland, OH

#27184 Sep 5, 2013
The 2013 Board of Education campaign is taking shape in Springboro, and there is a clear theme emerging from three of the candidates. The opposition’s run for school board seems to be fueled by fear. It is dark and angry — promising to bring calm to a storm.

The problem with their platform is that there is no storm.
If there is a sense of turbulence in our community, it has been manufactured by those who oppose change, wish to suffocate debates they would surely lose, and return to the days of endless levies, punitive actions against our citizens, and never ending financial emergencies within the district.

Why would our community want to do that?

An accurate look at the past reveals:

- Five failed levies
- Fees raised, busing cut, and staff reduced
- Buses neglected compromising student safety
- The district failed to purchase books, technology and buses
- A technology plan that was an uncontrolled mixture of items that did not work together costing approx.$200,000 to fix
- Waste of $170,000 in textbooks that were never distributed or used
- Maintenance deferred to the detriment of district buildings, staff and children
- The rigor of the high school program of studies was reduced (Education Service Center audit report)
- Promotion of the failing euphemism “Proficient” as the standard to be attained by our children
- Fewer students took advantage of AP and other early college credit opportunities
- A “D” grade on gifted intervention from the state
- A “C” grade on the lowest 20% in achievement from the state

Now, an accurate look at today reveals:

- A balanced, children-first budget
- Lower fees, busing restored, staff restored
-“Efficiency” plans that directed resources to gifted and reading intervention for this year (before release of the state report card)
- New curriculum designed to surpass state minimum standards
- Additional teachers and aides hired
- Opened preschool / early learning center
- A/P courses expanded in areas that make sense
- Dual Credit classes to be added at high school allowing students to gain college credit while in high school
- New emphasis on PSEO program, which allows students to attend college while in high school for full college credit
- Coordinated technology plan so everything works with one another
- Wireless access for every building
- New laptops to every teacher. More than 1,100 new computers throughout the district
- Renewal levy set to a lower millage rate to give back more than $1.3 million per year to our community

Why would our community want to go back to the past? We have sought to change the status quo, and that is difficult, but debate does not equal harm. The politically correct tenet that spirited discussion is harmful stifles new ideas. When a blanket of suppression covers the conversation, the only sure losers will be our community and the children we serve.

(cont.)

educatespringboro.org/
Direction of Leadership

Cleveland, OH

#27185 Sep 5, 2013
(cont.)

Educate Springboro looks to the future–using the knowledge of the past, but with direction toward a goal. While the Board of Education has made missteps in the past year and a half, they were made in a public and transparent fashion. This transparency allowed the community to engage and round out our actions to reflect their wishes and desires. It produced better, more properly vetted ideas and actions, and our schools are better for it. When we work together and talk to each other about the issues, better solutions are developed.

Our leadership is navigating us away from the repeated failures of the past and toward a better future for our schools. We are leading with a goal to provide every Springboro child the opportunity to acquire all the knowledge and intellectual skills they possibly can. It has been our desire to remove all barriers that might restrain them from their innate desire to inquire, explore, and absorb everything they can. Looking to the past, copying failed policies, and fearing change does not remove barriers to improvement, it imposes them.

We’ve built a financial foundation on the principle of fiscal responsibility. We’ll continue to make changes that make sense; for example, eliminating underutilized courses to fill needs in other areas. We won’t propose new classes just to fill an employee’s schedule and avoid a difficult decision. We won’t continue relationships with service providers that don’t provide the best value just because working with them has been past practice. We’ll continue to demand integrity and ethics from everyone we work with from boosters to vendors, from students to administrators.

Common sense, ethics and sound financial decisions guide Educate Springboro. Share this with your friends and neighbors.

The fear of change will not chase our community back into the darkness of previously failed practices.

Let’s stay on this new course and move in the direction of leadership for our children, schools and community.

educatespringboro.org/
Question

Dayton, OH

#27186 Sep 5, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
3r grade OAA math question, because its never to early to not learn how to add these two numbers.
8. Which is a reasonable estimate for the sum of 312 and 105?
A. 400
B. 500
C. 600
6th grade OAA math question, because leaning what Archimedes deduced 2250 years ago is not worthy of our attention today.(pi = 3.14 in the roughest translation)
3. Mary knows that the circumference of a circle is about three times its diameter. She made her mother a vase in the shape of a cylinder.
8 inches diameter
10 inches height
About how much material does she need to cover the outside of the vase, not including the bottom?
A. 80 square inches
B. 120 square inches
C. 250 square inches
D. 500 square inches
Teaching children how to guestimate rather than solving the problem correctly manages to skip a few steps in the educational process.
An entire course of study that neglects the foundational material to the benefit of "FUZZY" math will serve no ones best interests.
Teach the basics, ground the children with a solid foundation, and build upon that base of knowledge to improve the child's deductive and logic skills. This can only be accomplished by solving math problems correctly.
4x2 will never equal 7, teaching children that close is good enough will leave them in the dust of global competition.
Raise our local standards to ones which will allow our children to compete on the world stage.
Do you know why "fuzzy" math is taught?
Do you know why estimating CAN be helpful to a student?
Do you believe real math is not taught but only estimating is?

Get the facts and don't imply that the basics are not being taught.

And, whether you agree or not, the world is changing and days when you had to look for a calculator are long gone. Everyone from about middle school on up has one in their hands at just about every minute of the day. I think that changes things just a little.
reality

Cleveland, OH

#27187 Sep 5, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
And, whether you agree or not, the world is changing and days when you had to look for a calculator are long gone. Everyone from about middle school on up has one in their hands at just about every minute of the day. I think that changes things just a little.
Our children's world is all about global competition. There is no room for "fuzzy". Obama is all about "fuzzy" and look what 6.5 years of that idiot has brought to this nation.
No Turning Back

Akron, OH

#27188 Sep 5, 2013
Long-held Panther traditions are merging with the expectations of a changing world. Many top careers didn’t even exist ten years ago, and our students are growing up immersed in technology. Today we are creating a 21st Century learning environment where all children are encouraged to succeed in the globally and digitally connected world.

After 41 years of education and 35 years as a building principal, Dr. Ron Malone retires, after 13 years as Springboro High School Principal.
Mr. Malone states: I'm not sure the fit is as good now as when I came to Springboro in 2000.
It's been a time of tremendous change... I sense we are going in a different direction. I don't know what the next couple of years look like...

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas Edison
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27189 Sep 5, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I believe I know what "fuzzy" math is and why it caught on as the latest educational fad to come down the pike.

Once again we are not alone in this discovery that the only real losers in the quest to guess are the children who lose one more year to nonsense rather than actual learning.

And finally, what do kids do when they don't have access to a calculator? What do they do when they have no battery life? Wait until they can power up before they can finish the equation?

From Seattle, home of common core proponent Bill Gates in early July this year.

SEATTLE — When it comes to teaching math, a growing number of parents and educators want Seattle schools to check their numbers.

Critics say the current system is failing kids, and this summer the district starts considering alternatives.

Damon Ellingston, a university professor who teaches college math, physics and astronomy, says Seattle grads aren’t ready for college math.

“I had students coming from the Seattle public school system who had not really been exposed to the basic algorithms of math that you and I might have been exposed to when we went to high school a long time ago,” Ellingston said.

The problem, he said, is the textbooks.

Students in kindergarten through 5th grade use one called ‘Everyday Math.’

Some call it ‘fuzzy math,’ with colorful pictures and stories taking the place of basic computation, repetition and drills.

It’s “intended to teach students how to think about mathematical ideas and how to formulate thoughts. I think it`s actually a laudable intention, but I think it’s pretty clear those textbooks have gone woefully wrong in the execution.”

Six years ago, then-Seattle School Board President Michael DeBell voted against ‘fuzzy math.’

DeBell, who is still a board member, said Seattle’s diverse student body requires an approach that all kids understand, but he agrees that ‘Everyday Math’ may have backfired.

“The number one complaint is that it`s confusing and it`s difficult to offer the help at home and help students achieve,” DeBell said.

The School District this summer will begin reviewing its math curriculum, and a more traditional — and effective — course of study could be in place by fall of 2014.

“I think we need to move back in the direction of more direct instruction, of clear ways to solve problems, agreeing there is one best way to do it and everybody learns it,” DeBell said.

State Schools Superintendent Randy Dorn said Washington needs to raise its standards.

Local tech companies are hiring from other states or even other countries to fill engineering jobs here because local kids aren’t proficient in math.

Dorn said the students must be more competitive.

“You literally have to memorize,” he said.“I know people say, oh no, memorize? But adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, you have to memorize those things, have them in your mind. Every day, in math, in my work and percentages and looking at concepts, I can easily do it in my head, because I have that foundational part.”

Ellingston has two daughters who will enter the public school system soon. If Seattle math is still ‘fuzzy,’ he said, they will be going somewhere else.

“They are not actually teaching them mathematics or how to think mathematically, in an attempt to sort of leap frog through the math, they threw the baby out with the bath water,” he said.
Uh Oh

Lebanon, OH

#27190 Sep 5, 2013
Don't we use the Everyday Math program? I must not be alone in thinking this was a load of manure. No wonder my kids are just Accelerated, and low Accelerated in math according to the sources I have seen here. I thought that they just weren't good at math, when I read this I begin to see what my kids have missed out on.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27191 Sep 5, 2013
From the Propaganda page extolling Everyday Mathematics' virtues.

We must have been doing it wrong because my research shows declining math skill in each succeeding year the children are involved in this hogwash.

Everyday Mathematics has higher expectations for both teachers and students. Everyday Mathematics not only teaches basic skills,but also expands beyond traditional drills.The program encourages children to understand why math is important and how they reach their answers,so they internalize what they are learning. As a result, students find it easier to remember basic skills, to apply what they know in order to solve problems, and to think mathematically.

Children learn and practice all of the basic math facts,and they do it in multiple ways,including paper-and- pencil exercises, hands on use of math manipulatives, and skills based mathematics games.

In Summary: Everyday Mathematics is a solid, rich curriculum that provides students with the tools and skills they will need to live and work in a technologically complex world. In an increasing competitive global
economy, today's students need mathematical skills that go beyond basic arithmetic, skills that include the ability to problem solve, to handle complex data, and to process information using higher-order thinking skills. A new way of mathematics education is necessary to allow students to succeed in the 21st century. Everyday Muthematics is that curriculum.
Stay Focused

Akron, OH

#27192 Sep 6, 2013
The OEA members/union activists are some of the worst people we will ever have to deal with as to radical social behavior; because to the OEA radicals they are at war with the taxpayers.
They have the destruction of America in their minds and they are terrible people because their ideology makes them corrosive. They openly use children to execute their maniacal plans for social progressive changes at the expense of society, and this defines their essence. Wars are won by taking away from the other side the will to continue fighting. The OEA attacks them directly hoping to rob them of their will to stand opposed to the union’s progressive agenda.
There is NO reasoning with the Springobro Education Association members, the SURE group, nor the Neighbors for Springboro Schools. They are angry, hostile, mean-spirited, bitter, and totally without gratitude and appreciation of the simple joys of home, family, faith, and love; and care only for the collective forced investment of other's labor, which the SEA feels their dollar "VALUE" is greater than all.
As we have seen recently when the contract settlement gave the SEA all they said they wanted from taxpayers; still they greedily protested "give us more; we don't want increased pay; we just want it all and we demand the board to PAY it all to the SEA, because Ron Malone says so..."There needs to be a re-emphasis on the VALUE of the educator."
Just Asking

Akron, OH

#27193 Sep 6, 2013
From the principal's daily list of activities at SHS comes this reminder......

This is a reminder that a little kindness goes a long way and Monday has been selected as a KIND Initiative shirt day. Students and staff who have a KIND Initiative shirt from last year are encouraged to wear theirs on Monday.

Excellence is not an act, but a habit.
- Aristotle

Isn't Kindness a religious-based virtue that should be "caught" in our schools; instead of "grandstanding" by the wearing of the "black?"
care to

Springboro, OH

#27194 Sep 6, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I believe I know what "fuzzy" math is and why it caught on as the latest educational fad to come down the pike.
Once again we are not alone in this discovery that the only real losers in the quest to guess are the children who lose one more year to nonsense rather than actual learning.
And finally, what do kids do when they don't have access to a calculator? What do they do when they have no battery life? Wait until they can power up before they can finish the equation?
From Seattle, home of common core proponent Bill Gates in early July this year.
SEATTLE — When it comes to teaching math, a growing number of parents and educators want Seattle schools to check their numbers.
Critics say the current system is failing kids, and this summer the district starts considering alternatives.
Damon Ellingston, a university professor who teaches college math, physics and astronomy, says Seattle grads aren’t ready for college math.
“I had students coming from the Seattle public school system who had not really been exposed to the basic algorithms of math that you and I might have been exposed to when we went to high school a long time ago,” Ellingston said.
The problem, he said, is the textbooks.
Students in kindergarten through 5th grade use one called ‘Everyday Math.’
Some call it ‘fuzzy math,’ with colorful pictures and stories taking the place of basic computation, repetition and drills.
It’s “intended to teach students how to think about mathematical ideas and how to formulate thoughts. I think it`s actually a laudable intention, but I think it’s pretty clear those textbooks have gone woefully wrong in the execution.”
Six years ago, then-Seattle School Board President Michael DeBell voted against ‘fuzzy math.’
DeBell, who is still a board member, said Seattle’s diverse student body requires an approach that all kids understand, but he agrees that ‘Everyday Math’ may have backfired.
“The number one complaint is that it`s confusing and it`s difficult to offer the help at home and help students achieve,” DeBell said.
The School District this summer will begin reviewing its math curriculum, and a more traditional — and effective — course of study could be in place by fall of 2014.
“I think we need to move back in the direction of more direct instruction, of clear ways to solve problems, agreeing there is one best way to do it and everybody learns it,” DeBell said.
State Schools Superintendent Randy Dorn said Washington needs to raise its standards.
Local tech companies are hiring from other states or even other countries to fill engineering jobs here because local kids aren’t proficient in math.
Dorn said the students must be more competitive.
“You literally have to memorize,” he said.“I know people say, oh no, memorize? But adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, you have to memorize those things, have them in your mind. Every day, in math, in my work and percentages and looking at concepts, I can easily do it in my head, because I have that foundational part.”
Ellingston has two daughters who will enter the public school system soon. If Seattle math is still ‘fuzzy,’ he said, they will be going somewhere else.
“They are not actually teaching them mathematics or how to think mathematically, in an attempt to sort of leap frog through the math, they threw the baby out with the bath water,” he said.
Care to answer the posters' questions? Do you not believe "real" math is also being taught? I see "real" math in my kids' homework just about every day. Do you believe estimation can be useful to students?
motorvoter

Dayton, OH

#27195 Sep 6, 2013
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27196 Sep 6, 2013
care to wrote:
<quoted text>
Care to answer the posters' questions? Do you not believe "real" math is also being taught? I see "real" math in my kids' homework just about every day. Do you believe estimation can be useful to students?
Yes, I do.

AFTER they have mastered the basics and developed a foundation of essential math knowledge.

There are ways to prove and check if you addition is correct.

There are ways to prove and check if your multiplication is correct.

If any of the above was being accomplished we would not be witnessing a major slide on Ohio Achievement Assessment test math scores throughout our children's elementary career.
care to

Springboro, OH

#27197 Sep 6, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do.
AFTER they have mastered the basics and developed a foundation of essential math knowledge.
If any of the above was being accomplished we would not be witnessing a major slide on Ohio Achievement Assessment test math scores throughout our children's elementary career.
Ok, and the basic math sheets of addition, subtraction and multiplication that I see in my child's homework - almost on a daily basis - are being worked on....and worked on....and worked on. Mastery of those principles comes solely from the student. You either know them, or you don't. Really as simple as that.
Really

Akron, OH

#27198 Sep 6, 2013
care to wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, and the basic math sheets of addition, subtraction and multiplication that I see in my child's homework - almost on a daily basis - are being worked on....and worked on....and worked on. Mastery of those principles comes solely from the student. You either know them, or you don't. Really as simple as that.
Really, don't you know that education in this nation is set up to ensure that a certain percentage of kids in local school districts will not get the education that local taxpayers are funding? It's a game of survival of those professional educators, who value themselves first, with our school tax dollars.
Really, isn't it the bottom line of professional educators to keep
our schools down in a low grade of sickness, so that the only prescription is putting re-emphasis on the value of the overly
paid professional educators, who claim they can heal education with a prescribed band-ade of increased taxes?
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27199 Sep 6, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do.
care to wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's look at the Class of 2018

In 4th grade we find

PASSING: 75% correct answers or better - 50%

FAILING: 74% correct answers or below - 50%

Class of 2018

4th Grade 2009-2010 Ohio Achievement Assessment Tests Results.
Math .......52 possible points on the test
State Rating System and distribution of students for the 4th grade
Limited..........6 Students
Limited.......... 25% was the Average score for this group
Limited..........definition--0 -16 correct answers =(0-31% correct)
Basic..........30 Students
Basic ..........41% was the Average score for this group
Basic..........definition--17 - 24 correct answers =(33-46% correct)
Proficient........129 Students
Proficient........58% was the Average score for this group
Proficient.........definition- -25-34 correct answers =(48-65% correct)
Accelerated.....117 Students
Accelerated.....72% was the Average score for this group
Accelerated.....definition--35 -40 correct answers =(67-77% correct)
Advanced........194 Students
Advanced........85% was the Average score for this group
Advanced........definition--41 -52 correct answers =(79-100% correct)
Applying Mr. Malone's same grading system used for assigning percentages to grades earned in the college credit program (PSEO)
F.....Below 62.99% correct answers.......132 Students
Percentage of Students.....28% receiving F
D..... 63%- 74.99% correct answers......108 Students
Percentage of Students.....23% receiving D
C......75%- 84.99% correct answers........124 Students
Percentage of Students.....26% receiving C
B..... 85%- 92.99% correct answers........95 Students
Percentage of Students.....20% receiving B
A..... 93% correct answers and above.....16 Students
Percentage of Students....4% receiving A
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27200 Sep 6, 2013
Let's look at the Class of 2018

In 5th grade we find

PASSING: 75% correct answers or better - 25%

FAILING: 74% correct answers or below - 65%

5th Grade 2010-2011 Ohio Achievement Assessment Tests Results.
Math .......52 possible points on the test
State Rating System and distribution of students for the 5th grade
Limited.......... 21 Students
Limited.......... 27% was the Average score for this group
Limited..........definition--0 -17 correct answers =(0-33% correct)
Basic..........37 Students
Basic ..........41% was the Average score for this group
Basic..........definition--18 - 24 correct answers =(34-46% correct)
Proficient........131 Students
Proficient........55% was the Average score for this group
Proficient.........definition- -25-33 correct answers =(48-63% correct)
Accelerated.....80 Students
Accelerated.....69% was the Average score for this group
Accelerated.....definition--34 -37 correct answers =(65-71% correct)
Advanced........186 Students
Advanced........82% was the Average score for this group
Advanced........definition--38 -52 correct answers =(73-100% correct)
Applying Mr. Malone's same grading system used for assigning percentages to grades earned in the college credit program (PSEO)
F.....Below 62.99% correct answers.......171 Students
Percentage of Students.....38% receiving F
D..... 63%- 74.99% correct answers......119 Students
Percentage of Students.....27% receiving D
C......75%- 84.99% correct answers........88 Students
Percentage of Students.....20% receiving C
B..... 85%- 92.99% correct answers........59 Students
Percentage of Students.....13% receiving B
A..... 93% correct answers and above.....11 Students
Percentage of Students....2% receiving A

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Is Trump a national security threat?" 17 min Eric Cartman Auth... 18
don't waste your time or gas applying at Fuyao. (Jan '15) 20 hr Sinclairbroadcast... 82
D.P.&L. Sucks! 22 hr The Duke of Hazard 6
Why Donald Trump is hated in Scotland... 22 hr Literature Lover 1
News Inmates caught in Ohio following 'Shawshank' st... Thu wichita-rick 3
Andy's Dean's "America Now" cancelled! (Jul '14) Thu The Duke of Hazard 42
The lawyers will rake in the loot with the dron... Jun 22 The New Cool Warrior 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Xenia Mortgages