Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 32027 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Not good enough

Lebanon, OH

#27001 Aug 30, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Lookin at the HSTW site I found this:
"2006 High School Gold Award Winning Sites
Deer Park High School
Little Miami High School
Springboro High School
Talawanda High School
Waynesville High School
Winton Woods High School
2006 High School Top 100 Awards
Bethel Tate High School
Carlisle High School
Deer Park High School
Franklin High School
Greene County Career Center
Little Miami High School
Live Oaks Career Development Center
Miami Valley Career Technology Center
Mount Healthy High School
Paint Valley High School
Portsmouth High School
Reading Senior High School
Springboro High School
Springfield-Clark County Career Center
Talawanda High School
Tri-County North High School
Waynesville High School
Williamsburg HighSchool
Wilmington High School
Winton Woods High School"
Does Malone not get any credit for that?
They have 2007 which we didn't make the list, but I can't find anything after that.
Maybe they were annoyed we kept doing things that didn't align with their thoughts. Like dumbing down the curriculum, neglecting the junior high feeder program, not promoting dual credit programs, etc etc etc Whose lap does that fall into? Malone's.
BORO ALUMNI

Tipp City, OH

#27002 Aug 30, 2013
DUAL CREDIT INSTRUCTORS
Requirements taken from Kent State:
High school instructors of dual credit courses shall meet the requirements for faculty teaching in institutions of higher education, as stipulated for accreditation by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education. As such, dual credit instructors shall comply with these standards required by academic units at the University. In keeping with state requirements, it is expected that high school teachers will hold a master's degree or a Ph.D. in the discipline in which they are teaching or a master's degree and at least 18 credit hours completed at the graduate level in the discipline in which they are teaching.

New dual credit instructors will participate in orientation activities provided by the University, campus and/or academic department. Continuing dual credit instructors must participate in both the same professional development and evaluation activities as those expected of adjunct faculty on the University campuses. In order to assure comparability of the dual credit courses with the corresponding experiences on the college campus, college academic departments will provide instructors of dual credit courses with support services, including a designated on-campus faculty member to serve as a liaison.

Dual credit instructors will be evaluated according to Kent State University's evaluation policies for other part-time/adjunct faculty, with the recommendation for continuation being the responsibility of the campus academic department. Thus, Kent State University will provide on-site supervision and evaluation of the dual credit faculty. The faculty liaisons must make at least one visit to the high school each semester. Student Surveys of Instruction will be administered in the dual credit course within the time frame and with the method (paper or electronic) utilized by the university.

So, dual credit teachers in the high school have to meet the state standards of having at least a Master's Degree in the subject. Many of the new teachers hired in at BA-0 to save money will not be eligible to teach the dual credit classes. Springboro needs to keep the Master's prepared teachers to accomplish this and expand this program.
SAY NO TO CRAZY

Tipp City, OH

#27003 Aug 30, 2013
Reality Bytes wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse Me, But those "reasons" are only "realities" of YOUR criticisms and false accusations against our highly successful reform minded BOE representatives winning agenda for our schools and community.
How can you change "directions" from the distortions made up for
S-U-R-E anger and hatred shown for Springboro parent Kelly Kohls?(who has the same right to offer her concerns and input regarding her students classroom curriculum as any other ones of the David Bowman group for S-U-R-E.) Taxpaying homeowners ALL pay the same percentage of our property wealth to INVEST in the FUTURE of America's Leaders of Tomorrow! All taxpaying homeowners views MUST be respected and VALUED -- the SEA does NOT own our freedoms and our rights to free speech and voluntary religious expressions; just because they are employed in our taxpayer-funded schools.
If All our VOICES aren't represented on our freely elected Board of Education, then our schoold district would be judged Guilty of imposing taxation on targeted homeowners with NO representation on the BOE.
How are they FALSE accusations? Have you not been to the BOE meetings, read the newspapers, or read the articles on the internet? It has been ruled UNCONSTITUTIONAL to teach creationism in science class. You can practice your religious expressions all you want in your church/home, or as a student individually as laid out in the Ohio Revised Code 3316.601, but you can't go against the law cases on the books that have repeatedly determined different than YOUR opinion. It's not about YOU. It's the law.

Since: Dec 08

Cleveland, OH

#27004 Aug 30, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
It just occurs to me that there are so many people here pointing out the problems...
This is a very interesting, and I think the most important, point. The problem in our city is there aren't so many people pointing out the problems, let alone even acknowledging them. I guarantee you the vast majority of the noisy springboro parents that hate the current board and can't stand to see a levy fail know not one iota about the report that Doug keeps posting. They see the words "Excellent with distinction" and have no clue of the criteria that makes up that false rating.

As for solutions? Well, seems to me the current board has implemented many of them.
Question Everything

Cincinnati, OH

#27005 Aug 30, 2013
Lerxst wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, you are wrong. During school hours, outside religious organizations and clubs must not meet at public schools. After school hours, such groups may meet at a public school only if the school permits other outside clubs and organizations to meet at the same time and does not endorse the club's religious activity. It's settled law. This is settled constitutional law.
The course offered was not being offered during school hours nor to our children (at least forcefully). The only way our children could have attended is if they signed up for the course.
I suppose that among the reasons Kohls gave up is the complete lack of understanding of the law...just as you have shown here.
Excuse Me, but Kohls "gave up" nothing because of the "complete lack of understanding of the law...."
Don't you know that the school board policy committee showed due respect to Springboro citizens (who requested the issue be taken OFF public agenda); so that the ignorant noise of the ill-informed "of the law" would be silenced long enough so that the policy committee leaders could have more time to study more effective means of "teaching" the public the REAL understanding of the law? This issue came to the public during a very busy time schedule for the BOE members (and they can only be
s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d so far, even if it is in the RIGHT direction).

Don't you remember that the priority of the board's time was required by the important employment negotiations on new contracts needed to set in place to get ready for the NEW school year?
We all owe a debt of gratitude and Thanks to Kelly Kohls and our board members Jim Rigano, David Petroni, Don Miller, and Wendy Kull, along with Mr. Petrey and the SEA team for this unprecedented 2013 VICTORY of a New School Year beginning with Pay Increases for our teachers in our safe and comfortable tax-payer funded public schools facilities! AND, let's not forget, be it ever so humble AND small, that SLIGHT reduction in Renewal Levy costs to Springboro families!! Thank you for Standing Up For Taxpaying homeowners in the board room! WE WILL NOT LET YOU
DOWN AT THE POLLS IN NOVEMBER!
Do your homework

Dayton, OH

#27006 Aug 30, 2013
Not good enough wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe they were annoyed we kept doing things that didn't align with their thoughts. Like dumbing down the curriculum, neglecting the junior high feeder program, not promoting dual credit programs, etc etc etc Whose lap does that fall into? Malone's.
How many times do you have to hear the the BOE approves the curriculum? Malone isn't a monarch.
Not good enough

Lebanon, OH

#27007 Aug 30, 2013
BORO ALUMNI wrote:
DUAL CREDIT INSTRUCTORS
High school instructors of dual credit courses shall meet the requirements for faculty teaching in institutions of higher education, as stipulated for accreditation by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education. As such, dual credit instructors shall comply with these standards required by academic units at the University. In keeping with state requirements, it is expected that high school teachers will hold a master's degree or a Ph.D. in the discipline in which they are teaching or a master's degree and at least 18 credit hours completed at the graduate level in the discipline in which they are teaching.
New dual credit instructors will participate in orientation activities provided by the University, campus and/or academic department. Continuing dual credit instructors must participate in both the same professional development and evaluation activities as those expected of adjunct faculty on the University campuses. In order to assure comparability of the dual credit courses with the corresponding experiences on the college campus, college academic departments will provide instructors of dual credit courses with support services, including a designated on-campus faculty member to serve as a liaison.
Dual credit instructors will be evaluated according to Kent State University's evaluation policies for other part-time/adjunct faculty, with the recommendation for continuation being the responsibility of the campus academic department. Thus, Kent State University will provide on-site supervision and evaluation of the dual credit faculty. The faculty liaisons must make at least one visit to the high school each semester. Student Surveys of Instruction will be administered in the dual credit course within the time frame and with the method (paper or electronic) utilized by the university.
So, dual credit teachers in the high school have to meet the state standards of having at least a Master's Degree in the subject. Many of the new teachers hired in at BA-0 to save money will not be eligible to teach the dual credit classes. Springboro needs to keep the Master's prepared teachers to accomplish this and expand this program.
Are you saying that the only teachers available to teach this class are the ones we just hired? We still have 85% of our original staff, and none of them have Master's Degrees? I don't think so. This looks even easier than I thought to employ, why haven't we been doing this for years?
Do your homework

Dayton, OH

#27008 Aug 30, 2013
BORO ALUMNI wrote:
DUAL CREDIT INSTRUCTORS
From the sounds of this maybe the renewal levy should have been asked for in FULL. Most of the degree-types have left the district.
Do your homework

Dayton, OH

#27009 Aug 30, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
More non-responsive off topic deflection. Well played.
Thanks.
SAY NO TO CRAZY

Tipp City, OH

#27010 Aug 30, 2013
Lerxst wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a very interesting, and I think the most important, point. The problem in our city is there aren't so many people pointing out the problems, let alone even acknowledging them. I guarantee you the vast majority of the noisy springboro parents that hate the current board and can't stand to see a levy fail know not one iota about the report that Doug keeps posting. They see the words "Excellent with distinction" and have no clue of the criteria that makes up that false rating.
As for solutions? Well, seems to me the current board has implemented many of them.
Maybe you can answer this then for me. Why would the BOE veer into policies like creationism, Bible-based Constitution classes, etc? Why not stick with their platform of being fiscally responsible and run with that? It seems like they are on the right track and then all of that gets clouded by the nonsense of religious/political endeavors that they keep pushing. Why wouldn't they want their budget achievement to stand on its own? It's hard to take the majority BOE serious on their fiscal stances when they mix it with political/religious ideology. I just don't get it. What would be their rationale behind it?
Do your homework

Dayton, OH

#27011 Aug 30, 2013
Not good enough wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that the only teachers available to teach this class are the ones we just hired? We still have 85% of our original staff, and none of them have Master's Degrees? I don't think so. This looks even easier than I thought to employ, why haven't we been doing this for years?
85%?? are you including custodians?
Kull rhymes with Schools

Lebanon, OH

#27012 Aug 30, 2013
Excellence w Distinction wrote:
<quoted text>
If Dr. Malone is responsible for everything is Springboro schools, the we should be thanking him for our many Excellence with Distinction merits!
Thank you Dr. Malone!!!
Phony awards for phony achievement for phony people. Do something involving real achievement and we will all loudly cheer. Do something that involves overcoming surpassingly low benchmarks and we will just sneer.
Really

Dayton, OH

#27013 Aug 30, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
HER? tsk tsk. Didn't you just make a comment about assumptions and personal attacks? LMBO. Pot...meet kettle
I seem to remember you assuming that I was Babbs. Seems like Pot doesn't have a corner on the market. That being said it is nice to see someone else getting you rilled. Oops, was that off topic?
Really...
BORO ALUMNI

Tipp City, OH

#27014 Aug 30, 2013
Not good enough wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe Doug can find the specific state requirements for teachers that are eligible to teach Dual Credit classes. Kent State says the state standards are at least a Master's with 18 hours in the subject to be taught or a PhD. Then the specific university has requirements that must be met in order to accept the course as credit. The downside would be that a lot of out of state colleges may not accept the courses, which in that case, AP classes would be the way to go. AP classes are nationally recognized. The decision would then be up to the student and the parent to decide which is best. You would want to make sure that the classes you took would be accepted at the university that you wanted to attend.
Do your homework

Dayton, OH

#27015 Aug 30, 2013
Lerxst wrote:
<quoted text>
The board did take care of the finances. Have you not heard about the new contract with the teachers? Busing is back? text books? lower pay to play? a surplus? lower tax rate on the renewal levy?
<quoted text>
Well, I don't support Malone and I am a voter. One would think he wants my vote. So, why not try to earn it? Why not tell me why my view of him is wrong? As for Kohls, I have no idea why she isn't running again. I suppose with all the board has accomplished with her at the helm...and you cannot deny the positives...would you want to work for people as thankful as you?
<quoted text>
What I'm scared of is people voting purely as a popularity contest rather than looking at issues and the performance of those that want our vote. You nailed it when you describe obama's election. So, why would you let it slide when it comes to your kids? Asking the candidates to explain themselves is the least they can do.
<quoted text>
I find it hard to comprehend that asking a candidate for a position as important as this to explain themselves is considered griping. Doesn't the report that Dough keeps pasting trouble you in the least?
The comment about finances was referring to the fact that someone got elected to the board, that controls money, who had personally filed bankrupsy.

Voting is a popularity contest. Look at Arnold, Jesse, Al & Sonny.
Do your homework

Dayton, OH

#27016 Aug 30, 2013
Correction (sp) bankruptcy. I know the grammar nazi hangs around here.

Since: Dec 08

Cleveland, OH

#27017 Aug 30, 2013
Question Everything wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse Me, but Kohls "gave up" nothing because of the "complete lack of understanding of the law...."
Don't you know that the school board policy committee showed due respect to Springboro citizens (who requested the issue be taken OFF public agenda); so that the ignorant noise of the ill-informed "of the law" would be silenced long enough so that the policy committee leaders could have more time to study more effective means of "teaching" the public the REAL understanding of the law? This issue came to the public during a very busy time schedule for the BOE members (and they can only be
s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d so far, even if it is in the RIGHT direction).
Don't you remember that the priority of the board's time was required by the important employment negotiations on new contracts needed to set in place to get ready for the NEW school year?
We all owe a debt of gratitude and Thanks to Kelly Kohls and our board members Jim Rigano, David Petroni, Don Miller, and Wendy Kull, along with Mr. Petrey and the SEA team for this unprecedented 2013 VICTORY of a New School Year beginning with Pay Increases for our teachers in our safe and comfortable tax-payer funded public schools facilities! AND, let's not forget, be it ever so humble AND small, that SLIGHT reduction in Renewal Levy costs to Springboro families!! Thank you for Standing Up For Taxpaying homeowners in the board room! WE WILL NOT LET YOU
DOWN AT THE POLLS IN NOVEMBER!
I wasn't clear enough. By complete misunderstanding of the law I am talking about a lack of understanding of the law by those opposed to Kohls on the matter. At least as it relates to having the course offered outside of school hours as opposed to incorporated in to the curriculum (which I do concede is unconstitutional).
Reflections

Cincinnati, OH

#27018 Aug 30, 2013
SAY NO TO CRAZY wrote:
<quoted text>
How are they FALSE accusations? Have you not been to the BOE meetings, read the newspapers, or read the articles on the internet? It has been ruled UNCONSTITUTIONAL to teach creationism in science class. You can practice your religious expressions all you want in your church/home, or as a student individually as laid out in the Ohio Revised Code 3316.601, but you can't go against the law cases on the books that have repeatedly determined different than YOUR opinion. It's not about YOU. It's the law.
First of all, why do you have Crazy in your identity? Could it be you are looking at a mirror?
Secondly, it's the interpretation of the law that is YOUR opinion, not the FACTS.
Now, the way I see it, I am very well informed, and yes I read the newspapers; therefore, I know that our Springboro Schools BOE president (who is very well educated AND a Great Parent who is concerned about her children's rights being exercised just as all the other parents)... That being said, in due RESPECT to our BOE president, The local newspapers did get it RIGHT, at least ONCE, in printing the truth....... It is not about TEACHING creationism, it's about DISCUSSION.

Now are you telling us that you believe that young people in our schools are so backward in their educated minds, that they are incapable of entertaining differing opinions on all subjects of concerns in today's world, without being "evangelized" into one mindset of religion?
Do your homework

Dayton, OH

#27019 Aug 30, 2013
Kull rhymes with Schools wrote:
<quoted text>
Phony awards for phony achievement for phony people. Do something involving real achievement and we will all loudly cheer. Do something that involves overcoming surpassingly low benchmarks and we will just sneer.
So anything thing that comes from High Schools That Work should also be discredited? Whose to judge this achievement?
DR SEUSS

Tipp City, OH

#27020 Aug 30, 2013
Kull rhymes with Schools wrote:
<quoted text>
That rhymes!! You're a poet...did you know it??:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 8 hr Fitius T Bluster 21,382
I hear there are no scooter clubs in Dayton. Fri scooterrider 1
Let's get freaky with Maytal Levi! (Jan '15) Jan 17 Make topic worse ... 12
Whereabouts of Alex Sator (Apr '11) Jan 17 Make topic worse ... 12
Browns remodleing Jan 15 Russo 2
Busybodies in Xenia Jan 3 BirdCall 2
Damon churchman Jan 3 Queen 1

Xenia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Xenia Mortgages